Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 00:49   #1

Used Elantra or Optra..Advise Needed

Hi Folks,

I am not too learned and informed about used cars, still after going through Team BHP's various sections indicating on what to look in a used car while purchase and various opinions from multiple people i somehow am confused in the end, which i believe is absolutely normal.

I am considering two options after running around the market from one dealer to another and multiple individual owners. The two options are:

Elantra GLS (petrol) Dec 04, 36 K, looks like in excellent shape, new tires. etc etc and all the other standard equipments and accessories are intact.

Optra 1.8LT 37 K looks in good shape..everything else is OK, though the tires are not. Every other tire is of different company one is goodyear and others are some differnt brand.

I need a desperate help from you guys to do a short comparo possible and most importantly give me an indicative price that you might wanna pay for such machines after reading this not so convincing description of the cars.

One note, i wouldnt be driving the car more than 7K-8K kms in an year so is it Ok if i go for a petrol version?

Thank You all.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1. What's the asking price on either of them? And the manufacturing year of the Optra?

2. Between the two, I would choose the Optra. It is the fully loaded model (leather, sunroof et all) and I much prefer the looks of the Optra over the Elantra. I find the Optras road manners to be superior to that of the Elantra as well. As an overall package, the Optra scores with its refinement, ride quality and comfort levels.

3. The Optra was a far more successful model than the Elantra. Plus, it is current in production. That translates to better part availability.

Both models are resale duds, so ensure that you bargain hard and pick them up for a song.

Quote:
One note, i wouldnt be driving the car more than 7K-8K kms in an year so is it Ok if i go for a petrol version?
Yup, at 7K a year, you'd be better off with a petrol. Low mileage diesels are hard to come by. And if you do find one, the asking price will be higher.
Old 17th January 2009, 17:56   #3

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions, all the points taken.
Price of elantra is 3.7 and the price of Optra is 3.85. In the looks department i am a little confused though, I feel both the cars look great, that well is my opinion. One thing which i wonder is that Elantra is a Hyundai and considering the way Hyundai is operating or has operated in India, i feel their after sales service and parts availbility should really not be an issue in coming years. Though GM is in troubled waters internationally could they see a Daewoo style end in India? in that sense the Optra becomes doubtful as a long termer. May be i m horribly wrong but thats just a feeling.

For mileage i belive that both the cars should be somewhere around 7-8km/litre mark. Your take on this?
Old 19th January 2009, 10:35   #4
m4w

Used car buying guides : Optra & Elantra

reps if you find the links useful.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

About your thoughts of GM going dead, I think its hope lies on Asian markets and it wont go out of India so quickly.
Out of the two cars, I think Optra is a better bet. Its a Daewoo, but not a bad car at all as compared to Elantra.

As GTO mentioned out about the parts availability, its logical move to go for Optra. Agreed that Hyundai is relatively good at A.S & S., but this does not translate entire into avilability of parts in case of Elantra.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
About your thoughts of GM going dead, I think its hope lies on Asian markets and it wont go out of India so quickly.
Out of the two cars, I think Optra is a better bet. Its a Daewoo, but not a bad car at all as compared to Elantra.

As GTO mentioned out about the parts availability, its logical move to go for Optra. Agreed that Hyundai is relatively good at A.S & S., but this does not translate entire into avilability of parts in case of Elantra.
Till now no real problems with spares, I don't think that will be a big worry in the near future. And I think the spares are cheaper by a big margin, compared to the Optra.

But, I agree with the others, if you are looking at petrol versions of these two cars, the Optra is a much nicer car. And unlike others, I prefer the older 1.8 version of the car. And that example you mentioned does not really sound like a good choice. 4 different tire brands used? Cannot believe that a owner who takes good care of his cars would have done that. Or maybe some dealer jugaad? Why not find another Optra?
Old 19th January 2009, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

my vote goes with the optra. having driven both cars, i like the handling of the optra (this is subjective). the interiors are very spacious and its got a good road presence.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:30   #8
BHPian

Off the 2 cars you have mentioned below, I think it would be better if you go for the Elantra.

The optra as you have mentioned below has no reason to have different tyres in all different wheels at 37 K. Could the odo tampered with?

Cost of A.S.S. is much cheaper with Elantra. There is absolutely no complaint on non availability of spares and Hyundai dealerships are confident of supporting them for time to come. They are extensive players in the market unlike GM and will support with the spares.

I still agree that Optra is a better car but given the options that you have listed below, the optra somehow gives me a funny feeling. I might be wrong though.

Otherwise you going for a petrol variant is justified with you driving only 7-8K kms.

Last edited by kbalii : 19th January 2009 at 19:32.
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
Off the 2 cars you have mentioned below, I think it would be better if you go for the Elantra.

The optra as you have mentioned below has no reason to have different tyres in all different wheels at 37 K. Could the odo tampered with?

Cost of A.S.S. is much cheaper with Elantra. There is absolutely no complaint on non availability of spares and Hyundai dealerships are confident of supporting them for time to come. They are extensive players in the market unlike GM and will support with the spares.

I still agree that Optra is a better car but given the options that you have listed below, the optra somehow gives me a funny feeling. I might be wrong though.

Otherwise you going for a petrol variant is justified with you driving only 7-8K kms.

Thanks again people, so the score stands at 3-2, i talked to a hyundai service center here in mumbai and the chap who answered the call told me that its not at all difficult to source the spare parts for elantra. A little more probing and he said well you know for not so fast moving spares, it might take some time probably a week or half, which to me should safely be around 2-3 weeks in normal case. Read somewhere on the forum that there have been cases of elantras lying in service station for months. the owner of elantra loves his cars and you can make out by looking at the car. Well all said i wanna buy the elantra cuz it simply is my type of car, however a slightly more logical decision seems to be the optra purely because it is still on sale. Spares might be costlier but still would be there. Wish hyundai comes up with the Elantra 09 based on almost the same platform so that i can confidently go ahead and buy it.
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmagic View Post
Spares might be costlier but still would be there. Wish hyundai comes up with the Elantra 09 based on almost the same platform so that i can confidently go ahead and buy it.
This cost comparison sounds bit vague here. Did you check as what's the differences like?
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:55   #11
m4w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This cost comparison sounds bit vague here. Did you check as what's the differences like?
the links i posted earlier has a spares price list for both cars. tis a bit dated tho...2005ish. Optra is marginally more expensive on some counts.
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:32   #12
BHPian

With Hyundai, spares will not be an issue for some time to come. Also their *** is much better than GM.
Again the four different tires for the Optra show someone has abused the car, whereas the Elantra as per your own say, has been well maintained. UI would go for the Elantra.
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Oh sorry may be i am misunderstood, i believe going by the current prices elantra has cheaper spares compared to the optra, however may be 2-3 years down the line they might not hold up and due to unavailability the prices just might go up. The demand-supply equation wouldn't really work here though, hyundai never sold that many elantras.

Well, i looked at another car this one is an optra june'05 model, nicely maintained. 26k kms done. This one isn't a 1.6LS, LT or a 1.8LS or LT its just a plain 1.6 optra, which only AFAIK treaded the tarmac for a limited time. Could you guys throw some light on this one. Seller is asking for 3.75, should be able to close the deal at around 3.5, initial price was 4.05 though. It is a decent one, few dents one on the boot and one on the left door bottom close to the wheel, both are small.

Need your comments on this one guys. Still love the elantra its a very neatly maintained car and i have a gut feeling should easily do without any hassle fpr next 30 K kms hopefully.

You guys are my only help people, help me decide, thanks a lot for all the comments till now.
Old 24th January 2009, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmagic View Post
Oh sorry may be i am misunderstood, i believe going by the current prices elantra has cheaper spares compared to the optra, however may be 2-3 years down the line they might not hold up and due to unavailability the prices just might go up. The demand-supply equation wouldn't really work here though, hyundai never sold that many elantras.

Well, i looked at another car this one is an optra june'05 model, nicely maintained. 26k kms done. This one isn't a 1.6LS, LT or a 1.8LS or LT its just a plain 1.6 optra, which only AFAIK treaded the tarmac for a limited time. Could you guys throw some light on this one. Seller is asking for 3.75, should be able to close the deal at around 3.5, initial price was 4.05 though. It is a decent one, few dents one on the boot and one on the left door bottom close to the wheel, both are small.

Need your comments on this one guys. Still love the elantra its a very neatly maintained car and i have a gut feeling should easily do without any hassle fpr next 30 K kms hopefully.

You guys are my only help people, help me decide, thanks a lot for all the comments till now.
I would still suggest the Elantra... But thats just me...

As for the optra you have checked out, check with a dealer and you would know more about that car. Never heard of just a 1.6 optra. But I am not a great GM fan in India... So there might be a chance that I might not know...

I can still hear your heart sing 'Elantra'...
Old 24th January 2009, 23:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
I can still hear your heart sing 'Elantra'...
Ha ha You bet, i just love the elantra, the looks from front are disliked by many, however i get along well with them, well lets see. Could you folks help me with a few things that i have to check especially on the elantra, you know the prevailing problems sort? This will help me look for exact things.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks