Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 12:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ luvjascha : A request : Please restrict all your Ikon queries to ONE THREAD only. I have just merged three threads, all of which were related to the same purchase.
I had the same opinion as well. The threads were all over the place!
Old 30th December 2008, 15:40   #32
BHPian

Accent Executive vs Ikon Rocam 1.3

Hello all,

I was all set to purchase the accent executive, but being the year end, narrowly missed the last available white or red colors in Chennai. So, since I have to now wait at least 20 days before the 2009 models come out, I started going into my research again. I went to get a test drive of the Ford Ikon TDCi as well, but they did not have one for the same so ended up driving the 1.3 Petrol with ROCAM.

I test drove the Accent Executive just the previous day. Being new to four wheelers (<500 kms driven in my life and that too on a Santro), I just did not feel the difference in handling that people talk about here. Is this something I will realize later on as I start driving faster?

Seriously, how bad is the Accent's handling compared to the Ikon? Also, when the accent has 95 bhp while the Rocam has only 70 bhp while providing pretty much the same fuel economy, why do some people still prefer the Ikon and it is a 'driver's car'?

So, all in all, how would you compare the two cars in terms of driving fun (and importantly, why), comfort, ride quality (importantly, what the passengers feel), etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th December 2008, 15:58   #33
Team-BHP Support

Unless and until you are a very spirited enthusiastic driver, the handling factor will not come into the picture.

Otherwise yes iKON is more "drivers" car thanks to its point and dart steering feel. It rides slightly better over rough roads at higher speeds, thanks to its stiffer suspension but can induce some Thunks. While on the other hand Accent rides on more softer suspension, which is really good at normal speeds BUT can loose out/bottom out while tackling rough patch at higher speeds.

Rear passengers will love iKON seats, they are one of the best out there (obvious! wondered why a big taxi following ), Accent is also quite comfortable but i would give half a point less for rear seats.

Suggest you put down the prerequisite for your car buy along with usage details, which will help others to post.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:06   #34
BHPian

My usage would be quite low ~ 500 kms a month. 75% of the time, I would be riding alone. Comfort, smooth drive and noise free interiors are very important to me though I don't think I would mind a nice engine sound at high revs (all these based on how I drive my motorcycle).

However, I do not want to regret purchasing the accent later on once I become a more confident driver and start driving faster and the accent just wouldn't be confidence-inspiring or feel safe, if you get what I mean.

Also, my usage would be on the highways >50% of the times and this would be up and down on a good stretch of the golden quadrilateral so for this I would love to know the good cruising speeds of the Accent and the Ikon 1.3 Rocam. By good cruising speed, I mean the max speed at which there is ZERO vibrations and ZERO noise in the cabin (with A/C on/closed windows). I suppose for the accent it will be 120-130 kmph?

I just want to make sure I am choosing the right car since both are priced exactly the same on road and both now come in my favorite shades of red.

Thanks!
Old 30th December 2008, 16:20   #35
Team-BHP Support

Usage= less than 500 kms/ month = Petrol car, no point in spending additional lakh or so for a diesel car, so no Tdci

Comfort, smooth drive and noise free interiors = Both Accent & iKON are quite good. Engine note slightly better off for iKON when its pushed.

Quote:
However, I do not want to regret purchasing the accent later on once I become a more confident driver and start driving faster and the accent just wouldn't be confidence-inspiring or feel safe
This shouldnt be a major issue since both Accent and iKON are capable of decent speeds. Safe speeds i would advice for these cars would be 120 to 130 kmph, beyond this brakes and tires might not really react well enough, on the other hand am not saying its absolutely dangerous cars at these speeds.

Quote:
Also, my usage would be on the highways >50% of the times and this would be up and down on a good stretch of the golden quadrilateral so for this I would love to know the good cruising speeds of the Accent and the Ikon 1.3 Rocam. By good cruising speed, I mean the max speed at which there is ZERO vibrations and ZERO noise in the cabin (with A/C on/closed windows). I suppose for the accent it will be 120-130 kmph?
100-120 on both cars will be decent and comfortable, taking our indian driving condition. But here i would give an additional point for Accent due to 20+ BHP! This will come in handy during sudden acceleration and overtaking, but iKON is not that bad either thanks to its torque. Test drive is decider here.

Both cars are good, i would decide taking into consideration A.S.S access to these cars. Thats where the ford can loose out.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Accent = family man's car.
Ikon = Driver's car.

Ikon has a good compromise between ride and handling at that price point. Handling is good as compared to accent. If you are going to drive in spirited manner, go for Ikon. Accent is not a very good handler is rather a sedate cruiser on highway. On expresshighway, Accent will be well behaved upto 130-140kmph.

Comfort wise, Ikon is better but getting in and out in rear seat for me was not good. Accent has a low rear seat that will not be appreciated by everybody.

But IMO the real case for deciding the car will be A.S. & S. Hyundai are ahead here and that's why accent becomes a good deal.
Also the refinement of Accent is good.

So its simple ,
If you are more inclined on driving with family, go for Accent. It has softer suspension setup and is a good cruiser.
If you are more inclined on high speed driving, go for Ikon. Once inside the car, the comfort is good. Good dynamics as compared to Accent.

Now think about A.S. & S.

EDIT :
@Jaggu:
Saw your post. I am having almost similar views.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th December 2008 at 16:26.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Well put aaggoswami!

To add iKON just received a face lift and dont think it will be pulled out of production soon, Accent on the other hand, am not sure of Hyundai's game plan.

I would suggest a long test drive on both the cars and then decide.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:47   #38
Team-BHP Support

@lynx : Since your test drive didnt really provide you with a clear winner between the two, take a look at other factors to decide. Try and feel which one would make you feel as a prowd owner, and also take a look at other factors like after-sales in your area from the dealer you're approaching, as well as other freebies they may throw in to sweeten the deal.

Personally, my vote goes to the Ikon, but that doesnt take away anything from the Accent, which is a no-nonsense vehicle which does whats expected of it, without excelling in any particular department. I feel it has better interiors, but a worser rear seat than the Ikon.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:08   #39
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, aaggoswami and benbsb29 for the replies. I suppose for my priorities, I guess Accent is still the better option. I will try to book one from the first batch of red Accents from the Chennai factory.

Thanks again! :-)

P.S.: @ Jaggu - I thought the Ikon is definitely going to get discontinued in 2010 to make way for Ford's new small car? Anyway, doesn't really matter now. Thanks!
Old 30th December 2008, 17:11   #40
Team-BHP Support

lolz iKON fans convinced lynx to Accent!! Just kidding

Accent is a good car and enjoy it. As far as ford's plan, lets wait and watch, most probably now they will start fiddling with the rear end of iKON
Old 30th December 2008, 17:21   #41
BHPian

I am also in a similar dilemma now as I am considering sedan up to 6.5 L, I have taken TD of Ford Ikon's Diesel model and really liked it very much (except that gears are rather hard); but haven't tried Ascent yet. Ikon Diesel returns 14-15 kmpl in city, and 18-19 on highway, which is a big plus for me!

How much does Ascent cost now? I thought the OP mentioned that it was about 47K more than petrol Ikon. Lynx -- could you please quote on-road prices for both?
Old 30th December 2008, 17:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I feel the Accent wins in the other part like A**. The ride quality, driveability and the feeling you get after touching 150+ kph in Ikon is something different and has to be experienced. It has that sturdiness and firmly sits on the road unlike Accent which is very difficult.

I'am sure you would have experienced this in your previous car.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:07   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I am also in a similar dilemma now as I am considering sedan up to 6.5 L, I have taken TD of Ford Ikon's Diesel model and really liked it very much (except that gears are rather hard); but haven't tried Ascent yet.
Manish, if the hard gears are the only factor keeping you away from the Ikon TDCi, its nothing to be overly concerned about. They would ease out over time and use, and they slot in quite nicely over a period of time.

One more thing, the Hyundai is called the Accent, and not Ascent. :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Accent is a good car and enjoy it. As far as ford's plan, lets wait and watch, most probably now they will start fiddling with the rear end of iKON
A rather rare occassion, right Jaggu? :P
One thing i am quite certain about is that both the Ikon as well as the Accent would make way at about the same time period.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
How much does Ascent cost now? I thought the OP mentioned that it was about 47K more than petrol Ikon. Lynx -- could you please quote on-road prices for both?
On road prices would of course differ from city to city. In Chennai, Accent Executive for December 2008 was 5,26,000. The normal prices (Jan, 2009) would be around 5,46,000 and the Ikon 1.3 Rocam, around 5,00,000.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
One thing i am quite certain about is that both the Ikon as well as the Accent would make way at about the same time period.
And one of my silly dream is to buy the last iKON produced/sold and park it in my garage, ideally with 1.6L Rocam otherwise the Tdci is ok. sigh!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks