Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Second-hand City will be fine. Look for a low-mileage EXI,
I guess you meant, less-run (on ODO) vehicle right?
Old 24th September 2008, 14:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi mobike008,

> Because the the power of the car is not enough for its size, only 75bhp.

Well, it is 77!

> For city driving, its just fine but highways you need more power for
> overtaking and all.

Is it a perception or personal experience?

i agree on mobike's view and i own a NHC as well.

Overtaking can be an issue if one's judgment on his own car's ability is poor.

The main problem I faced on highways whilst driving a NHC is stability at speeds above 100kmph.(some have reported issues at 80kmph!!).Cornering speeds are grately compromised if larger(width)tyres are not installed. The standard 175s refuse to give feedback on whats happening on the tarmac and this is further worsened due to EPS.

NHC(iDSi) IS MADE ONLY FOR CITY DRIVING AND THERES IS NOTHING TO COMPETE IN THIS REGARD.HOWEVER, DO NOT TAKE IT ON HIGHWAYS AND EXPECT IT TO BE A FIESTA/LANCER/OHC/BALENO TRUMPER.(in stock conditions)
Old 24th September 2008, 15:00   #18

thanks for comments friends. mt comments below on posts so far.

26-Sept for new City launch? havent seen any adverts in newspapers or elsewhere. Deccan Honda is offering 2+2 years (if I remember correctly) warranty right now.

Will wait for this to check the discounts on offer if any. i am confortable for 7.5L budget. Exi should be within this with discounts I hope .

My daily run may increase to abt 30 kms a day once my office shifts to Hinjewadi.

Aveo - Dont like the front looks. Someone commented elsewhere that City's front look like a frog but I think it looks really good.
Dzire - Not truly big enough due to rear legroom crunch.
SX4 - Good if middle bump is removed. Can consider but back looks very big.
Logan - No comments so far ? No one thinks this is a 6-7 years option?

i drive zen at 100 t0 120 on pune Mumbai expressway comfortably but not get into racing with others. I have radial tyres from Michelin I guess. Or am i being too adventurous? So City should work better for me comparatively if i feel like pressing the peddle hard looking at empty stretch

Thanks,
Ashish
Old 24th September 2008, 18:19   #19
BHPian

my options for a long term car in that budget would be as below.But the most critical decision id make is waiting till Jan to buy even the old models as a 2009 spec.
  1. Wait for i20.
    -Will be a lovely car 100%. Plus there will not be shortage of space and comfort.Getz was/is a lovely car that was solid to drive and so will this.Its been made to stand in line with 307's,Clio's,Focus's,standard Golf's in the European market.Hyundai is moving upwards in the quality segment too!.
  2. Fiesta 1.6 S.
    -Drivers Car, Period. Fit and finish as well as long term pleasures are always evident in all Ford Cars.A.S.S in Pune should be looked at since some cities have reported negligence on this front.
  3. NHC
    -Discounts might come now, but by Jan you probably will have all optional accessories thrown in as well
  4. Logan
    - Have and implement the idea of sprucing up the interiors with aftermarket seat covers(leather/art leather) + interior plastic painting + Bodykit and you'll never regret your purchase.This would make it the best out of all option even.Otherwise donot venture into the world of "Taxi Car" badging on your investment.
P:S : I can never handle the torture of having to see the G3NHC on the road and imagine i bought the older one at the same time.In essence, one is downgrading in lifestyle.Buy any other Car and avoid this disappointment.This is my opinion and nothing humble about it.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 24th September 2008 at 18:21.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi absynthguzzler,

> Overtaking can be an issue if one's judgment on his own car's ability is
> poor.

The above would be a common factor in any car, I think.

> The main problem I faced on highways whilst driving a NHC is stability at
> speeds above 100kmph.(some have reported issues at 80kmph!!).

I have not crossed 100kph except for a couple of times. But curves at 80kph have been done without any problems, at least those that I have done.

My run has been in the state of Kerala where there is a 70kph speed limit. Moreover most of our roads are undivided two lane.

> Cornering speeds are grately compromised if larger(width)tyres are not
> installed. The standard 175s refuse to give feedback on whats happening
> on the tarmac and this is further worsened due to EPS

This has more to do with the EPS than the tyres. Since I don't intend to go for non OEM upsizing of tyres, I won't be in a position to comment on the improved feedback from wider tyres.

I have not faced any handling issue so far at speeds that I have done.

Even with CVT, I don't find overtaking a problem in our roads.
Old 24th September 2008, 23:16   #21
BHPian

I have a CityZX CVT - it's a very comfortable car for city driving and reasonably good at highways.

Wait for the launch of new City. At that time:
1. Discounts will be offered on the current version so it may come well within you budget
2. The prices of used current model will drop significantly

New car is preferable over a used one - will serve your purpose of reliability & "emotional" need better ;-)
Old 25th September 2008, 18:50   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you want to go used in that budget, nothing quite like a well-maintained Toyota Corolla! Lots available in the 5 - 6 lakh bracket.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you want to go used in that budget, nothing quite like a well-maintained Toyota Corolla! Lots available in the 5 - 6 lakh bracket.
Depends on your needs & goals...

If I were to buy, I would definitely opt for a second-hand Corolla in good condition.
Old 27th September 2008, 15:30   #24

is FirstChoice reliable place to buy used car?
Old 27th September 2008, 18:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

For used car budget of 6 lakhs, City is a decent option, but I honestly think that you can get a 2005-06 Corolla, 2002-03 Camry?, or Accord. Based on my driving experience and experience with Toyota service, Corolla is a real good car and the experience is enhanced with Toyota service -not expensive, down to earth service managers (well mostly), and prompt resolution of issues.
Old 27th September 2008, 20:26   #26
BHPian

You can choose among a few new cars within the range. It is always advisable to go for a new one. Buying used cars can be tricky and you need to personally check out each and everything before you seal the deal. In the excitement of buying a car, often people forget to check out everything. Since most of us are not automobile engineers, it is difficult to unmask some defects cleverly tooled over by the dealers. Paperwork and tracing the antecedents of the car is another headache.

Having driven a City Gxi I can vouch for the car. It is extremely comfortable and easy to drive, especially in, well, a city. I had driven my City a lot on highways too and frankly did not find any issues. Unless you want to do a Schumacher, it is absolutely okay on highways. You'll get good FE and good service backup.

Other than City you can look at Ford Fiesta, a lovely car to drive or an SX4 which, I believe, is one of the best cars in its range on road now. Yes, it does have rear seat issue and also rearviewing problem, but there would always be trade offs in any vehicle you buy.

Go ahead and get a new ride and keep us posted. All the best.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:26   #27
BHPian

some more info on NHC 2008 model -

rather 4000 km report -

I had been a regular maruti user - first a M800 - 1996 model, then game moved on - zen 2000 model lx -

Now the privelged owner of NHC 2008 aug -

had the first long drive from Calicut - bnglr and back...

haa a good incidence I could qoute here -

this was a anniversary edition car - NHC gxi -

so I had that glut feeling and had written in my mind - This had ABS - no need to worry -

And that too I had just moved from Maruti Zen to NHC - and that too with Honda brakes I had this confidence -

with ABS - in my mind -

was return journey - Bnglr - calicut

Passed gundelpet - muthanga forest range -

just leaving forest range another - 5 km

saw a heard of elephants - 4 were there..i was small...it was just 20 ft away from road, but not on road..just in between trees..

me and wife..we just stopped..for a while watched for a mom..1 min...

i took camera and for better view came out...

oh..expect the unexpected...a naughty one came very near...to my wife almost just 5 ft away - she was in seat belt...

as soon it just started running close to us..i just entered...

oh man..car in hand brake..gears not falling in ..1st gear...it took time..oh..i just started it..1st gear...and a bit of wheel spin.......

it just zoomed away..i mean NHC..i hope 77bhp is not bad a HP...for that car..if u want a decent mileage...too..

if u want to play...more..i mean power..ther is Vtec...more of wheel spins....

but if you a decent driver..with adequate..FE..good drving habits...speedo clocking 60-80 on higway..

i bet you get 18-20 km/l - i had experienced it..and it get better with more mileage..- i mean 10k km is benchmark -

then seroiusly you should mark each km and fuel you pour -

i am damn sure decent FE is rest assure....that you are holding good driving skills...

and coming to ABS part of NHC gxi - anniv edition -

oh mannnn since i read so much og mags....Acar, overdrive and lots...

i was pretty firm on ABS in anniv edition..

was crusing in 80-90 kmph nearing sulthan battery..after the bandipur forest

suddenly..from now where a scooty lady with kid on her back..came from worng side - i mean she was in same direction as me...from right side..was moving to left side of her...like a V shape or diagonal cutting ....

me did not know where she was coming from...as if she popped out of screen...caught me off gaurd.......

i thought the scooty and lady, kid all gone...i just applied brake....

i always had it mind...that it was ABS..as no need to pump brakes....was my right foot just on brake for a while fully pressed...

vehicle just skidded...i mean..wheels locked..for a while..but just missed by inches..to scooty and left hand side..stone and muddy area...

in those moments...i dont know...u wont get time to do pumping brakes...or press brake pedal..and leave then press...

it was one of worst exp i had with my wrong notion that ABS was there...

and i strongly recommend it...

i am not sure of OHC's , but for NHC its a must -

so after coming back home..i just consulted my firend in Honda showroom...mann!!
he just told no ABS in Anniv edition - i was zero that time...

NHC gxi, brake pedals do not give you confidence....and suspension is hard while you brake....it just stops...but has a feeling..of old cars..or maruti vehicles being stopped...

verdict NHC gxi -

1. scary and light steering ...highly responsive its...at high speeds..

2.hard suspension and

3.poor brakes...

but good mileage, driveability, good interior, comfort..all..fine..

rgrds
prsn
Old 10th December 2008, 19:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
it just zoomed away..i mean NHC..i hope 77bhp is not bad a HP...for that car..if u want a decent mileage...too..
That was a surprise, isn't it? Even my one year old CVT surprises me with its acceleration. The torque does its job though the HP is only 77!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
1. scary and light steering ...highly responsive its...at high speeds..
2.hard suspension and
3.poor brakes...
but good mileage, driveability, good interior, comfort..all..fine..
I agree with the above points except for the brakes. Of course it is non ABS and the tyres would lock up (it did in my recent rip), but the brakes are good even for an automatic! In fact, in my case there was no skid and it did save me from crashing into the truck which very courteously turned right from the middle lane without any signal.

Over a trip of 2366kms, it gave me a overall mileage of 14.08kpl, with a 13.26kpl over 23537kms, all with AC on.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

FYI.

Just spoke to Whitefield Honda sales person

They are still selling the ZX version with lot of discount..

EXI: 8.00000/-
GXI: 8.74000/-
VETC: stopped
VETC+:10.23550/-

They had agreed to give a discount of 50K on GXI. & overall it’s coming to 8.25 + corporate discount 10K etc. All together I’ve negotiated for 8-lacs.
They have 2008 MFD vehicle on which they are ready to register as 2009 model in RC book. But the MFD on the chassis will be 2008.Guess this is the catch for reducing it.
Is it a good deal????
Old 30th April 2009, 13:18   #30

what fair price for attached list in Pune?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/an003145/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]Honda city - should I?-new-honda-city-used-prices.jpg

this price list is from Carewale.com. Advisable to go for 2008 of safe laying hands at 2006 model too?

I am comfortable paying 6 L. Is 2008 model negotiable to this price? Dont know whether I have to pay anything extra over prices mentioned.

Any better place to hunt for used NHC in pune?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks