Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 00:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have zilch experience with used cars and going by tbhp posts, I usually use carwale.com as an approximate guide. Going by their estimates, I do not see anything unreasonable about the prices quoted by you above. Infact they look like super deals. For eg. as per the website, the individual value @ Chennai for 2006 Baleno LXis (I took month as Jan) is as below :

Condition | Excellent | Good | Fair
------------------------------------------------------------
Jan2006 20K kms | 4,30,000 | 4,14,600 | 3,93,500
Jan2006 60K kms | 4,14,500 | 3,99,200 | 3,77,000

Going by these prices, the quotes you got seem to be a real sweet deal.

Or is carwale.com really off the mark ?
Wayyy of the mark. The deals that are done are the prices I have quoted. The ones quoting higher are still waiting, I bet the quotes will come down drastically in a couple of weeks. I have not heard of a clinched deal over 3L. It is got a very very poor resale. Also, Balenos sold at HUGE discounts which is not taken into account by carwale. Thats one of the reasons why I want one. If it does not work out, I will mostly get a new Linea MJD.

There is a 8000km run '06 VXI for sale in the classifieds here, quoting 4.35. Per carwale, it looks a great deal, I think the market rate is more like 3.3L. Have done some research and some Chennai-trotting, looking at various cars. There is a 60k km done 06 LXI for 2.4L on sale in very good shape. So that should give you an idea of the resale.

If I buy a Baleno, I will be able to upgrade our 800 to say an Astar or even an Indica Vista. But if I go for a Linea, we HAVE to keep the 800.

I only want a 06 or a 07 model, preferably VXI done less than 25K in MINT condition. I know I will lose heavily when I sell, but that's OK if I purchase it at the market rate.

I am giving myself 2 weeks time. I will become impatient after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Proxima, why a Baleno, if I may ask ? I mean, you already have the Safari, why another car ?
I want to sell the Safari. Reason being we need cars which can be driven by My mom, sis, dad and myself. Safari can only be driven by me any my Dad. We park our cars one behind the other so if the Safari is at the back, either my dad or myself need to be at home else the 800 is stuck.

EDIT: Carwale is off by 1 lakh per my estimates.

Last edited by Proxima : 29th January 2009 at 00:40.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:46   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Hi mates,

I'm in the process of shortlisting my next car and need help on this badly as I am totally confused(have been for a long time).After going through various options,I have finally narrowed it down to the following :

Baleno
OHC 1.5
OHC Vtec

I drive usually 50km in a week with an out-of-city trip once a month.I am looking for a performance car and will be modding it step by step depending on my finances(not looking at an engine swap,but will be modding quite a lot over the next 1-2 years).Most of my driving will be in the city,not much on the highway.I'd want the car to age well since I'll be buying a used car having done around 50k kms.Looking to keep the car as my favourite ride atleast for 3 years.I was looking at a used Fiesta 1.6 as well but maybe the upkeep costs will be too high and I'm not sure if it can be modded reliably as I haven't seen any being modded too much.
Another thing to consider is that I may be getting promoted by March and in that case,I will be relocating to Bangalorecheers: So how much will the transfer charges be then(a little OT I know but it would be helpful to get all answers in one query)?

Please help me gurus/fellow tbhpians as I don't want to make any decision I will regret.
Thanks a million in advance

PS-Saw a good-looking Vtec in the classifieds on this site today.
Thanks guys for all your help,especially ashish22 and mclaren1885.However after months of confusion about every car(OHC,baleno,Vtec,Mondeo.Corolla and what not) I have finally bought an Elantra CRDi.Thanks in no small measure to Viper who was kind enough to meet me and clear my confusion based on my driving style.Most credit to tadukuttan however,his review of the beast floored me and his prompt replies to all my pms nailed it for me.
Thanks a ton again guys !
Old 1st February 2009, 15:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,wanna know how much will a 04,05 baleno or a 01,02 city cost in bangalore?
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Hey guys,wanna know how much will a 04,05 baleno or a 01,02 city cost in bangalore?
Both should cost between 2.75 ~ 3.5.

Baleno came in Lxi (PS, PW, 13" steel rims, tube type tyres) and Vxi (PS, PW, ACC, 14" Alloys, tubeless tyres, rear spoiler, driver seat adjust) trims, so the latter would be expensive but worth!

If you exclude the VTec, I guess the City came in just one variant.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:48   #95
BHPian

congrats maverick, excellent choice and hell of a car. Please write a detailed report on your aqcuisition as soon as possible. Would be a good reference point for people who are looking at used elantras...and there are lot many in recent times.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:54   #96
BHPian

Sure ashish, I'll be doing that soon.Thanks again for your help mate,I was so confused,thanks to all the help I got from tbhpians I was able to make a good decision,even though it raised my budget
Cheers.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:39   #97
BHPian

Hi Maverick,

That was a nice buy. How much did you pay for your Elantra and can you give more details about this car. Elantra is the most underrated car till date and would also beat Baleno at being underrated. This car has the best engine and standard features.

Pictures would be a welcome addition.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:45   #98
BHPian

Model : Hyundai Elantra CRDi top end leather version
Make : May 2005
Color : White
Owner : 1
Mileage : 58k kms
Warranty : Still under 4years/80k kms extended warranty
Servicing : Only done at Hyundai owned service station
Price : Well lets just say I got a good deal,the owner wanted an enthusiast to have the car as he is buying the Sonata Transform CRDi
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

Abhinav - Since its Feb 09, if you have started the car hunt again do let us know.

Maverick - The Elantra CRDi is a surprisingly decent car, esp on highways. Wont do brilliantly on the twisties like the Baleno or OHC. Actually just check with Tadukuttan, he will sell you the Elantra dream. Just set aside about 25-30k for a certain Peter.

Last edited by IronWolf : 2nd February 2009 at 17:02. Reason: Ref directly at CRDi NOT Petrol Elantra
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:23   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Maverick - The Elantra CRDi is a surprisingly decent car, esp on highways. Wont do brilliantly on the twisties like the Baleno or OHC. Actually just check with Tadukuttan, he will sell you the Elantra dream. Just set aside about 25-30k for a certain Peter.
Well mate,it was tadu's review of his Elantra that put to rest all my confusion and prompted me to raise my budget
PS-The car is still under extended warranty till May,so will put in the Petes/Green filter then.I'd like to enjoy the car stock and then Pete it so I can appreciate the difference.As it is I have blown all my savings.Now comes the HID kit,ICE setup,Petes et al.Whats a guy supposed to do?
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Now comes the HID kit,ICE setup,Petes et al.Whats a guy supposed to do?
Well a Petrohead has to mod what a Petrohead has to mod !

Corny but true

All the best, keep up posted. Got any pics of the Elantra? Pricing please?
Old 8th February 2009, 01:08   #102

Hi everyone, glad to be here.

do u guys tink its a good idea to buy an OHC 1.5 EXi for about a lakh?

11000 Kms done
2001 March
Serviced regularly
No big crashes

I know that the above claims are true since tis car belongs to a very close frend of mine who stays in my apartment. Hez migrating to australia and hence selling most of his cars. He also offered me 7 month old Civic 1.8V with 1500 kms on the odo for 11 lakhs (How I wish I weren't still studying).

Anyhow, so about the OHC....should i go for it?

I should let u guys kno that incase any of u say "yes", u r agreeing to help me setup new "ICE" on the old, but new for me, 1.5 Exi.

Tnx!!

Note from Team-Bhp Support Team- Please use full & proper english instead of SMS/Slang language e.g type 'You' instead of 'u' & 'thanks' instead of 'tnx'

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2009 at 09:27. Reason: see note in post
Old 8th February 2009, 23:29   #103
Senior - BHPian

@ felix,
if the car is done only 11k kms then blindly without a second thought go and buy it for 1 lakhs.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:42   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1 lakh rupees? If the kms are genuine and the car has no substantial damage, pick it up this afternoon! At that price, it's highway robbery.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

Felix, any idea how did the seller arrived at that price?

CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com

Even the dealer's fair price turns out to be Rs.2.21L. You can double your investment, even if you buy and sell it to a dealer

A 8 years old car covering just 11k kms, check out whether the services were done based on time or kms.

Guys: We say that car which has run very less is equally bad as a car that has covered many kms. How about this case?

In any case, I would opt for such a deal with eyes closed

Last edited by Surprise : 9th February 2009 at 14:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks