Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2005, 18:54   #1
dev
BHPian

Which Car for my family?

Hi,
I want to know a little bit of info on choosing a car for family of 5-6.
I am interested in a Diesel version with a budget of 5-6 lakhs. I am sure, I can't afford more than that.
My travel per month comes around 2000 kms. Some times, this may be 1000. So, I can say, on an average, it may be around 1000-1500 KMS.
I am planning to go on vacation with my parents often. So, I preferred Diesel.
If it is a Petrol, my family will be hesitant to take the car out. So, I want to know which car suits my budget.

It should be having good fuel economy, looks doesn't matters, very low maintenance cost, Good re-sale value and good after sales service.

I appreciate if anyone can suggest a good car, and in which month can I get a good deal. or Shall I wait for new models?
May I know when can I expcet Euro 3 cars?
Thank you.
Old 1st March 2005, 18:56   #2
dev
BHPian

And may I also know what accessories can I fit to the recommended car and there prices?
And what is the price of Alloy Wheels?

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2005, 21:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Best bet for your requirements seem to be Accent CRDi. Not sure you can get it in less than 6 L. Second option would be Indigo.
Old 1st March 2005, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

The accent CRDi is available for 7.46 lakhs on road (thane registered), the viva crdi is available for no less than 6.8 lakhs, so both are out of the budget.

Next up are the indigo diesel and the marina diesel. Both are extremely comfortable and spacious cars. ride is excellent, the performance is decent and fuel efficiency is good...spares are cheap and after sales service is decent as well. I'd say go for the marina...its luggage space can be really useful on those outstation trips. Most quality issues have been dealt with...but could be better (gearshift quality).

If you want performance with diesel economy then stretch your budget and consider the viva crdi, performance is devastatingly good for a diesel engine and fuel efficiency i get on my crdi is around 12kmpl in city and 19kmpl on the highway...it wont be as comfortable than the indigo or the marina, spares will be more expensive than tatas...hyundai service is much better than tata though.

Test drive the cars thoroughly before you make your decision.

As far as accessories are concerened...dont buy from the dealership, they will charge you more...go to another shop to get better deals...

Essential accessories
Music System - prefrebaly pioneer mp3 player model 5650 with sony xplod 350W speakers for the rear. Should cost no more than 13000 rs.

Floor mats, mud flaps, mirror locks, car freshner, seat covers. this should cost you another 6000 rs.

Alloys

Can cost anywhere from 14000rs for 13 inchers to 18000rs for 14 inchers. Go for indian brands as they come with warranty and it is easier to source one wheel in case of damage.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 1st March 2005 at 23:09.
Old 1st March 2005, 23:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Well the TATA INDIGO seems to be the best fit here!... go for it dude.. it may not be the fastest, but its a decent performer with good fuel efficiency... and most importantly, its spacious..
Old 2nd March 2005, 00:56   #6
BHPian

here's my honest opinion,

if you need a boot - then it's the indigo at this price - you suffer poor traffic driveability and sluggish handling, constant gear shift changes and lotsa grief and sweat in traffic - once u hit the freeway, it becomes acceptable

if you don't need a boot - then the palio d wins hands down

all the best - either way, it's your car so u choose
Old 2nd March 2005, 00:59   #7
BHPian

Rather better off buying a used Skoda but getting it in 6 lacs a little difficult. 7~7.5 lacs possible.
Old 2nd March 2005, 09:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

As per your requirement the Indigo & Marina seems perfect & Drifter has explained it perfectly. So just rush to the dealership to decide between the two : )
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:28   #9
bhp
BHPian

indigo marina all the way for u
it fits in ur budget and is very spacious
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you the Tavera, its very spacious and suits your needs.
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:53   #11
dev
BHPian

Thanks for your responses.
Do u think Indigo comes for 6 lakhs on road?

What is your opinions on Esteem Di? Is it coming with Euro 3?
I have test drive and looks good to me. FE is 20kms.
I can look at Indigo/Marina also. But, people say TATA engine is not matured and will have problem after 50K kms.
I am taking your peoples verdict and may take the car in this month as from April, the cost may rise.
I had experience with Zen D, Esteem Di. My relatives are using them and they don't have any problem with it. 0% maintenance and they are getting 20-22Kms on highway and in city 16-18.
Accent is out of reach for me. I need to think whether I need to go with MUL or Tata's.

Please suggest. I will have this car for 6-7yrs.
Thanks .
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Esteem Di will not be sold in the cities with BS3 norms as it doesn't meet the BS3 norms.
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:12   #13
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
choosing a car for family of 5-6.
Quote:
I am planning to go on vacation with my parents often
Hey guys,

Dont u think a car would be pretty uncomfy for a family of 5-6 goin on vacation or even normal travelling.

What i would suggest is u buy a Tavera or a Qualis. I guess u might get a good discount on the Qualis if the dealership has unsold stock. U cud also take a look at the Scorpio.
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:32   #14
dev
BHPian

For Tavera and Qualis I need to spend 7.5 lakhs. Same for Scorpio.
Sridhar,
it seems Esteem Di won't be introduced to amrket soon with Euro 3. Will it take time or they don't have any plans now? Will there be any difference between Euro 2 and 3 in Esteem Di?

Will it be a nest bet if I purchase Esteem Di? or shall I go for Indigo/ Marina? Performance wise, which one comes first? Esteem or Indigo/Marina?

Please suggest.
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:36   #15
bhp
BHPian

i think indigo comes well b4 the esteem diesel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks