Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 20:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

This is a genuine question is there something wrong with the car ?
Not good for city ride it seems. Thingy kicks in late and hence.
Old 4th February 2008, 20:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Not good for city ride it seems. Thingy kicks in late and hence.
You can always add a Petes box and correct that.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
You can always add a Petes box and correct that.
even without the Pete's box, the torque is still much better than the petrol cars. It has enough pulling power at lower rpm too. Its just that when you know that you have 140 approx horses, you feel the lack before the turbo kicking in. Its still the most powerful diesel even below 2000 rpm in the sub 20 lak segment.
Old 4th February 2008, 23:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

agreed on all those points.. But why doesn't it sell? I personally like the Embera. Its spacious, has a whole lot of features and is definitely better looking than the previous Sonata. A lot of Sonata's in Chennai are Hyundai company cars. Head towards GQ in the morning and you can see a lot of them going to the Hyundai factory !! I also see a lot many Accord V6 in Chennai compared to the 2.4 which seems to be the choice in Bangalore.

Bangalore is Civic crazy. There are so many of them !!

Sorry for the OT.

@Shat: The ground clearance isn't as bad as its made out to be. I'm sure Mumbai doesn't have Back Breakers a.k.a speed breakers like what we have in Bengalooru.

Last edited by csentil : 4th February 2008 at 23:43.
Old 4th February 2008, 23:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Probably because people are not willing to pay that much for a Hyundai car. Hondas, skodas et all are considered premium brands.
Old 4th February 2008, 23:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Probably yes. The Elantra never did sell when they priced it alongside the Corolla. It had a lot more features as well.

Get the Civic Shat and enjoy the ride. Mod it too if you have the moolah. Take a look at the various Mod Civic threads here to get an idea. Some of them have done an insane job :-)
Old 4th February 2008, 23:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

personally i am for hyundai cars and i thnk you should go for the embera, lets face it embera is a car of higher stature compared to civic and if you are getting it for the same price, i think you should go for the embera..i mean it is as good as the accord in many ways and also i feel honda cars are priced too high all i can tell you is for this price sonata is not as bad as it is commonly perceived
Old 5th February 2008, 07:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

embera is a good option and why are people just ignoring the beast.it looks good and A.S.S. is good and parts cost in comparison with other cars are also good.if you are afte brand then go for accord else i would always second the embera.
ram
Old 5th February 2008, 10:35   #24
BHPian

This is really interesting. Now there are suggestions in favor of Sonata as well. As far as travelling in terms of distance is concerned, I do around 2500 kms per month , hence, diesel would have been preferred choice. Service centres and cost of maintenance is definitely in favour of Sonata but the opinions received tilt the scale in favour of Civic. In city as long as it pulls on its own is sufficient as we mostly crawl in Mumbai till we touch eastern express highways / Sion -Panvel highway.

Last weekend I took Verna ( Crdi) till Alibaug just for a drive and then I realised highways are also infested with trucks and unpteen stop go situations and so much of efforts and attention was diverted to changing gears to keep the car pulling that I have decided that I must get a vehicle with automatic transmission and on way back straight I went to Hyundai and Honda dealers here and then posted this thread.

Another thing I noticed in a auto magazine is that the Verna Crdi outperforms even manual sonata crdi as per performance figures except for top speed. Then I am sure, sonata auto will be sluggish as compared to Verna which is not a good news as I love to zip at good revvs and faster the better!

So please, let me know how sonata auto performs in comparison to Civic auto( civic has paddle shifters S mode & sonata has H matic - similar to manual controls) .
Old 5th February 2008, 10:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

sonata shouldnt be slower than the civic as it has loads of torque in store and h matic is not bad too.you can shift down at your will without the bother of the clutch.verna is quicker than the sonata because of the power to weight ratio difference.but considering your needs you are hunting for a quick automatic and that too in the price range of 16L.so i feel sonata should be the quicker of the 2 and its diesel buddie.keep it for 5 yrs and its a better buy.
one more point sonata has better waranty than the civic.
ram
Old 5th February 2008, 11:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
agreed on all those points.. But why doesn't it sell?
That's a no-brainer - because its a Hyundai & lacks the snob appeal that the Honda badge carries.

Shatrughna, no offense to anyone but, if you ask for a vote on this forum between a Jap car (more so for a Honda) & one that is non-Jap, chances are that 7 out of 10 votes will go for the Jap model. Its unfortunate but that's how it is.

Me? I would go for the Embera anyday because it would be much more VFM compared to the Civic (I think it has much more of the extras on offer compared to the Civic) plus it would benefit you on the monthly 2,500 kms running because its a diesel. And its not really a slouch......

Last edited by suman : 5th February 2008 at 11:09.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

My vote for Embera
Hope this helps

Honda Accord 2.4 VTi-L AT vs Hyundai Sonata Embera 2.0 CRDi AT | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com India
Old 5th February 2008, 11:12   #28
BHPian

If you can spend a little more, Accord V6 A/T would be a much better choice
Old 5th February 2008, 11:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
If you can spend a little more, Accord V6 A/T would be a much better choice
Even if FE is not a major concern, one surely needs to think about its approx 7 kmpl in city traffic and the decision maker is doing close to 2500 kms per month. Definately not a good choice. and the price would again be in the range of 20 laks for the newer accord as and when it comes.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:12   #30
Team-BHP Support

Looked at an Embera once - problem is, you sit inside, feel the dash and think, this is just a big Verna
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks