Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 14:34   #1

Corolla or Skoda Laura Ambiente

hi guys ...

need some help from all you experts out there.

We are currently trying to decide between buying a fully loaded Toyota Corolla H5 (approx 12 lakhs) vs a Skoda Laura Ambiente (approx 14.2 lakhs)

Already have a 2006 Civic, 2000 Honda City 1.5 and a 1999 Esteem and am very happy with all of them, need something along these lines.

Average distance traveled per month: approx 10,000km
Where car will be mostly used: CITY
Chauffer driven / self driven: mostly self driven
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family: YES
Any specific requirements from car: Legroom at the back is important since it will have approx 4 passengers on a regular basis
How long you intend on keeping this car: For a while, id say 6-8 yrs alteast

Now my main dillema is that we have never owned a diesel car and my dad is not too keen on one since its apparently high maintenance, makes rattling noise, although it might be economical in the long run. Also i heard maintenance is high for diesel cars and they have tendency to break down in the long run (is that true?). I also read somehwere that if you are driving less than 12,000 kms/yr u shud def go for a petrol car

Looks wise i think laura is better than the corolla, but the interiors are very dissapointing in the laura. space and legroom both are almost the same i think. Also corolla is a better car in the long run with better mileage and low maintenace, but too bad it looks like a bullock cart

Still have to test drive them both but would really appreciate all your help.

Thanks !
Old 17th December 2007, 15:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

If this is not a typo

and also this is correct

you want a car that would last 720000+ kms

oh boy, I am going to wait for this long term ownership report.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollaback View Post

I also read somehwere that if you are driving less than 12,000 kms/yr u shud def go for a petrol car
hollaback, these two statements conflict. Im assuming that you mean the car will be driven 10,000kms a year. For that kind of usage its wiser to buy a petrol car IMHO. The advantages of diesel and the extra money you spend on it only work out if you put a lot of miles on it - at least 1,500km a month.

The Corolla may not be the best looking but it will serve you well without a problem for the period you plan to keep the car. And it may well cost you less to maintain than the Laura. I would think Laura parts parts cost more than Corolla parts. The Corolla also has decent leg room in the back.

The one issue with the Corolla is that Toyota is due to change the model soon. Nonetheless, I do think the present model will continue to hold its value.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If this is not a typo

and also this is correct

you want a car that would last 720000+ kms

oh boy, I am going to wait for this long term ownership report.
haha my bad, i meant 10,000km/year
Old 17th December 2007, 16:06   #5
BHPian

@ hollaback - If you are not biased against a Hyundai, did you consider yourself a Sonata Embera? Its definitely more bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
hollaback, these two statements conflict. Im assuming that you mean the car will be driven 10,000kms a year. For that kind of usage its wiser to buy a petrol car IMHO. The advantages of diesel and the extra money you spend on it only work out if you put a lot of miles on it - at least 1,500km a month.

The Corolla may not be the best looking but it will serve you well without a problem for the period you plan to keep the car. And it may well cost you less to maintain than the Laura. I would think Laura parts parts cost more than Corolla parts. The Corolla also has decent leg room in the back.

The one issue with the Corolla is that Toyota is due to change the model soon. Nonetheless, I do think the present model will continue to hold its value.
yeah you are right i read somewhere that the new corolla was slated for a release in mid-2008 but shinrai toyota refuses to confirm
Old 17th December 2007, 16:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Your running is high enough to justify a diesel car! However, since you are comfortable with petrols and if diesel/petrol difference doesn't matter to you- I'd suggest you to stick to the Corolla. You can't go wrong with it.

Skoda service is expensive, and Laura owners are complaining about expensive issues in their cars (Please search- There are quite a few threads here.)

Also, if you want diesel, please also take a look at the fully loaded Optra Magnum TCDi/Sonata Emberra too.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@ hollaback - If you are not biased against a Hyundai, did you consider yourself a Sonata Embera? Its definitely more bang for the buck IMHO.
unfortunalety i am not a big fan of HYUNDAI so an EMBERA is not even an option, thanks for your suggestion though
Old 17th December 2007, 16:34   #9
BHPian

hollaback, considering both reliability and maitanence, i suggest you stick with the corolla.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

why dint you think of embera,petrol or diesel.its got better seats at the rear and cost of maintenence would be less compared to corolla or laura.any ways you are going to keep it for 6 yrs so dont worry about resale.diesel embera is a gunner.and between laura and corolla i would suggest corolla,but again a face lift is due so wait till that comes out.

ram
Old 17th December 2007, 17:38   #11
BHPian

Why not wait for the 2008 corolla as its only a few months away , 6months at max
Also I drive a corolla and its perfect for 10,000km a year run and very reliable.Not had any problems in my car in the last 4years and have averaged about 60,000kms.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
but again a face lift is due so wait till that comes out.

ram
Not facelift... a completly new generation corolla is due in a few months. If you can wait, then its a no brainer ...get the new corolla...its a baby camry...gonna stir up the segment big time.
Old 17th December 2007, 17:50   #13
BHPian

This is no brainer With the spurt of complains against Skoda recently, you'd be better of with Toyota.
Old 17th December 2007, 23:17   #14
BHPian

No spinning with confusion............New Corolla is just around the corner and which worth to wait for .........and about Skoda its really doubtful as there is lot of grumbling regd after sales and quality So better be on a safe road...........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks