Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Whats your pick?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 19 76.00%
New Honda City 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 16:47   #121
BANNED

I would strongly suggested you to wait for the SX4.
It should be a very good car and the pricing would be spot on as well considering its a Maruti.
The top end model should have ABS,airbags,EBD etc.
IT will give Honda City a run for its money for sure.
Other than that Honda City is far ahead of Chevy Optra in terms of practically everything.
I've also heard that Honda is working on a City with ABS,airbags etc.
You could wait for that as well.Though not sure when they would release it.
Old 30th April 2007, 16:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support team - threads merged
Old 30th April 2007, 17:01   #123
BHPian

Thanx for all your wonderful advice... but guyz i dont think the SX4 is worth waiting for... i saw some spycam pics of the SX4 on the net (exactly like its gonna come out in india coz it was spied in delhi) and i dont like it at all..it looks so damn disproportioned... in that case the Ford Fusion is much better a mini SUV... ! And i like it very much too !! But i would like you all to throw some more light on the SX4 as in... what its strengths and weaknesses would be.. etc

Another thing guyz... just after posting this thread i sat down to calculate the extra fuel expense i'll have to bear if i go for the Optra. i referred the Overdrive magazine for their fuel efficiency -- Optra 10.5 kmpl and Vtec 14.5 kmpl, in the city. And assuming that i'l be driving about 1250-1500 kms a month, if i go in for the optra i'l have to shell out arnd 1500 bucks a month more on fuel...GOD !!! this is really confusing me.. ! Any takes on that ??? And yes... no optra or vtec owner has posted their actual mileage records.. come on guyz i'm waiting !!!

By the way...ABS and ANOTHER facelift for the vtec ? When ? Are you sure ?
Old 30th April 2007, 17:01   #124
Team-BHP Support

Two questions
1.Have you factored in discounts?
2.Are you buying on a loan?
In case of discounts you will find that in your price of 8.5L ex showroom delhi, there is corolla, Vtec, optra, elantra.
In case of EMI, toyota is offering 8.99% as compared to 15% in the market.
So look at all these factors too.
You may end up paying more for a 8.0 Lac car without discounts and special EMI schemes than a 8.5L car.
Since its new Delhi, haggle for discounts, you will get them.

Finally its your choice.
Optra/Vtec/verna etc., are all good cars. Take the one you like the most. As for service costs, GM now gives you a all in all service package which you can take.
Old 30th April 2007, 17:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Finally its your choice.
Optra/Vtec/verna etc., are all good cars.
Where did that one sneak in from ? I thought he was tossing between the Vtec & the Optra
Old 30th April 2007, 17:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Where did that one sneak in from ? I thought he was tossing between the Vtec & the Optra
Actually I wanted to mention all the midsizers. My point being that all midsizers are good in their own way, buy the one which suits your budget and needs.
Since his criteria is price, I also wanted to tell him that some cars which he did not shortlist due to budget may be in budget due to deals and special EMI's
Old 30th April 2007, 18:48   #127
BANNED

I got the info from my friend who knows somebody in Honda.
This is the inside information from there.
Though Honda is not willing to claim it straight forward.
My friend who had finalised on buying the VTEC postponed his purchase due to this.
He said they they are planning to launch it in end of June or Beginning of July.
Old 30th April 2007, 18:52   #128

I would suggest wait for few more months till the Honda City VTEC 2007 comes up. It is most likely to be 110BHP with ABS & EBD. Honda dealers are very smart and not accepting that the new car is already in production and scheduled to be launched by June'07.

They have some 400 EXI, GXI & couple of Vtecs floating in the market which would not sell of they accept the above fact of new cars.

Ride comfort, resale, FE & Market Brand value is better with Honda as compared to others.

By HC and you will never regret. Just Neighbor Envy
Old 1st May 2007, 10:27   #129
BHPian

Hey Vishesh, around Aug/Sep-05, I was in the same predicament that you were - to choose between the plush,comfy Optra or the efficient, nimble NHC.

Since there were no signs of Honda bringing in the Vtec, I had booked the Optra, and resigned myself to its (quite frankly) uninspiring and sluggish performance and notchy gearbox. Also got a great deal which placed the base model at 7.5L OTR.

Then, one fine day, the Honda dealer calls up and says there is a facelift of the NHC, with a VTEC option. I rushed over to see a pristine blue VTEC with much improved looks. I knew once I had the TD, it would be a no-brainer. And the smile on my face, as I redlined it in the first two gears, said it all.

I ended up losing some of my booking amount on the Optra, and paying nearly 50k extra, and waiting more than 2 months for the delivery. But everytime I see an open, inviting road, it seems worth all that and more.

To summarise - I found I was not ready to give up the fun factor on my drive so soon.

BTW - I get around 12 kmpl with A/C in city drives, with shifts between 3-4k rpm. I use regular unleaded fuel. I get the same on the highway, unless I drive a bit sanely, and get 16 kmpl.
Old 1st May 2007, 10:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.tec View Post
Performace: Bro, thats one thing that no one ever questions about a VTEC :-) Not one car in or around its class can challenge the performance it gives.
I guess, you mean straight line performance.
Old 1st May 2007, 11:36   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I've also heard that Honda is working on a City with ABS,airbags etc.
You could wait for that as well.Though not sure when they would release it.
Its expected in last quarter of 2007.. might be around Diwali ( I guess )
Old 1st May 2007, 12:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Honda is a car that one KNOWS would never break down... but Chevy has been known to ask for high costs on service and on spare parts
Who said that?? Chevrolet spares are the second cheapest in its segment, next to only the Elantra. Ans have you heard of a Chevrolet breaking down?? I have heard many Old Citys breaking down and Accords with fuel pump problems.

Quote:
Apart from all that...the MP3/CST player and the speedometer is the best ever along with eye candy interiors in comparison to dull ones in the optra.
Interiors and dumb in a Optra. Boy, thats the first time i am hearing this. Interiors of the Optra are the best in its segment and everybody who has sat in the car will vouch for that.

Quote:
you're using the car for self driving, i would definately recommend the Vtec...you'll fall in love with the car once you get to driving it...its a pleasure to drive it...Plus if you're going to be self driving...dont worry about the space as it ample...im 5'9" and its very comfortable for even a 6" person to drive.
I am 6ft 2, in my NHC my hair touches the roof but not in the Optra. Driving pleasure is never attributed to outright performance please. A Optra is better to drive the NHC IIMO. Because the engine of the Vtec is better you accelerate fast but you have to be on the brakes earlier, the brakes of the Vtec totally suck, the handling is poor compared to the Optra, crosswinds easilt shake the car on high speed where the Optra feels so relaxed and composed to cruise at speeds in excess of 160 without any undulations. The ride of the Optra is not at all harsh (like Vtec) If u want a Muscle type of car onlt straight line no corners then Vtec is the thing, else Optra will leave the Vtec behind on curves.

AND CONSIDER THIS

Quote:
Optra 10.5 kmpl and Vtec 14.5 kmpl, in the city
Quote:
BTW - I get around 12 kmpl with A/C in city drives, with shifts between 3-4k rpm. I use regular unleaded fuel. I get the same on the highway, unless I drive a bit sanely, and get 16 kmpl.
Old 1st May 2007, 13:13   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
AND CONSIDER THIS

Quote:Optra 10.5 kmpl and Vtec 14.5 kmpl, in the city

Quote:BTW - I get around 12 kmpl with A/C in city drives, with shifts between 3-4k rpm. I use regular unleaded fuel. I get the same on the highway, unless I drive a bit sanely, and get 16 kmpl.
I think the above figures are from OverDrive - you seriously expect somebody to believe those figures ??

BTW - why dont you tell us what you get from the Optra, and when you shift?
Old 1st May 2007, 13:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
I think the above figures are from OverDrive - you seriously expect somebody to believe those figures ??

BTW - why dont you tell us what you get from the Optra, and when you shift?
Goldie, I think what he's pointing out is the inconsistency in data from two Vtec owners, I don't think he's saying in any way that the Optra is more FE
Old 1st May 2007, 13:18   #135
Senior - BHPian

--duplicate post---
please delete

Last edited by DCEite : 1st May 2007 at 13:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks