i own an optra 1.6

well regarding FE:
if my dad drivers it : 10.5-11Kmpl
if i drive it: 8.5-9.5kmpl

Rear leg space:
there is a lot of space at the back.
i sit without any problem.

well regarding the price:
i bought the card in June 2005 for 8.15L OTR (Hyderabad)
not sure regarding the latest price...

Your FE seems more like mine. How in the world does your dad manage to get 11??? I hardly rev the car in everyday running and change gears between 2-3k RPM, yet I get a little less than 9. My car's done about 2500kms till date.

True, I drive in horrible rush hour traffic, and wheels have been upsized (205/55R15), but would that make a big difference?

Btw, even with 8-9kmpl FE, I still wouldn't think twice before picking Optra before NHC. Hell if it was giving 5-6 I'd still prefer it.
Old 4th April 2006, 14:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone managed to get any discount for NHC? We are booking two cars (employer provides it to the eligible employees) & they say currently there is no discounts running

Last edited by Surprise : 4th April 2006 at 14:43.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

When I was looking for a car last year (Mar05), the discount they offered on the base model NHC was 2K. Yes, they said they could reduce the OTR from 7.42L to 7.4L. I guess this has something to do with the monopoly they enjoy - only 1 dealer in Chennai (Sundaram Motors). Anyway, a few weeks later, they SMS-ed me saying that they have an offer with free RoadTax (comes to 40K odd). Not sure about the current discounts.
Old 4th April 2006, 17:58   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
So ? What was it that you found irrelevant / offensive in my post ? You mentioned some rating from a mag and I was curious to know the factor on which the rating was done. Agree that your post was sometime ago, but does it make a difference ? And even though the poll is closed, the thread is still open for posting.

And I can't really fathom what is the big deal about the date someone became a member/bhpian. I joined the site in Dec05, you joined a few months ago in Aug05. What's the big deal here ?
Read what you wrote

Quote:
BTW, after insisting that no one bring Baleno to this thread, you yourself can't seem to resist doing it
Now does that make sense as i had posted it before you were a Bhpian and since you became a Bhpian then only you did insist not to bring the Baleno in. This is what it got to do with the date. The magazine was Top gear and it decided upon the Best Upper C segment cars. Obviously Optra 1.6 is a notch up NHC/Lancer which are a notch above Baleno and yes Baleno may be fast that aint the sole factor to determine how good a car is. All magazines make a rating on the overall car.
Old 4th April 2006, 19:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy, how come u missed the smiley after that sentence ? Which was there to indicate that it was just intended humourously.
Old 4th April 2006, 19:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Hey buddy, how come u missed the smiley after that sentence ? Which was there to indicate that it was just intended humourously.
PEACE Ho. Baleno is quite a good car and is extremely value for money but now we should not hijack this thread. Cheers.
Old 30th April 2007, 13:20   #112
BHPian

choosing b\w NHC Vtec and Optra 1.6

Hi all !

Well this is my first post in team-bhp... and really i'm quite excited abt it.

Guyz i wanted to buy a new sedan this may and i after much research i have zeroed in on the following -- NHC vtec and Optra 1.6 .

Actually i had almost booked a vtec the other day... but then i decided to explore more options <> 50,000 of my set budget.

The reason i decided to give it a 2nd thought is that i feel that the vtec which is priced at exactly 8.00 lacs ex-showroom delhi is way too overpriced, considering that even the top-end (and much more loaded than the vtec) models of its closest competitors, the verna and the aveo, cost almost a lac less. YES i know that Honda quality and refinement is beyond all comparisons but i still feel that i could settle with the quality and refinement of the verna or aveo also. But here's the dilemma...

The other day i went to a chevrolet dealer and learnt that there's a new variant of the optra in the market now... the optra 1.6 platinum.

This variant is higher than the elite but lower than the royale optra. however i found that it had everything i wanted on my list -- tilt steering, cooled glove box, 14'' alloys, a spoiler, fog lamps, seat height adjust.... and surprisingly nothing extra...as if it was tailor made to suit my needs ! And the best part of it is that it cost just 8.24 lacs ex-showroom delhi !!!

Now, i wanted a car with loads of street presence, excellent performance, acceptable fuel efficiency, big and loaded... safety and comfort etc also...

I realised that the only area where the vtec can score over the optra is the fuel efficiency and to an extent the outright performance... and NOTHING else... Whereas the optra scores over the vtec for its remarkable AWIS (all wheel independent suspension) and TNRS (total noise reduction system), gr8 seats, ample legroom, sheer road presence, and terrific VFM. Beside , the cost of ownership of both would be more or less the same...

Considering the levels of creature comfort and luxury, street presence and VFM, i would go for the Optra 1.6 platinum. However i dont find anything compelling in favour of the vtec except for its fuel efficiency.

Guyz, i would like to know what mileage each of them would offer to me in the city and which one's better in outright performance... i've learnt that the the present day Optras are more efficient due to the VGIS...is it true ???
Finally, i would like to know that considering all that i wrote above which car i shud go in for. Comment and replies from optra and vtec owners highly welcome. Thanx !
Old 30th April 2007, 13:43   #113
Senior - BHPian

Outright performance, VTEC will be ahead of Optra.
Fuel efficiency, VTEC will be slightly mroe Fuel efficient.

BTW why dont you wait for Maruti SX4 ZXi ? Should fit in your budget and offer everything you want.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

was in the same position some weeks back about goin for City VTEC.. finally settled down with city Exi... and the surplus amount saved on getting a VTEC would go into 15" alloys and tyres, car security alarm system (even vtech lacks that), good Mp3 player with 6 speakers system.... and still saves a lot..

As you have a budget of 9L, I would recommend u to go with the Optra as decisions are made based on various consideration.. not alone the performance of so hype VTEC... Besides, Optra have a much better road presence as you pointed
Old 30th April 2007, 14:06   #115
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you could wait for sX4 and then decide. Its supposed to have the same interior space as Optra (we'll be knowing that very shortly I guess).
Old 30th April 2007, 14:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

They cater to two different sets of requirements if you ask me. We have quite a few members on this forum who have either so perhaps you should pm them about the mileage and other queries -

NHC VTEC - Goldie Malhotra, Hellspawn, V.tec
OPTRA - Rudra Sen, Lukeskywalker, Boom Shiva.

I do agree with you that the Optra looks better & is more luxurious than the NHC Vtec and is therefore perhaps better VFM. If you prefer pure performance then (I'm told) the Vtec is what you need.

Last edited by suman : 30th April 2007 at 14:21.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:29   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
I realised that the only area where the vtec can score over the optra is the fuel efficiency and to an extent the outright performance... and NOTHING else

You're right, of course. The only other thing where the Honda will outdo the Chevy is resale value.

Do go in for the Optra - its a great VFM propostion and I'd like to think that its got a bigger road presence than the NHC
Old 30th April 2007, 15:52   #118
BHPian

Hey, Vishesh
Firstly glad to have u aboard the forum.
Well now to support your opinion...Honda has no ABS,no Airbags this i also feel as a major negative even after owning a vtec.
Apart from this, Honda service, quality and the driving pleasure is ULTIMATE.

The steering turns like butter and one can take U turns so easily because of the high turning radius of the car.

But it depends a lot on wether you use it as a self driven vehicle or chauffer driven or multi use.

A Honda is a car that one KNOWS would never break down... but Chevy has been known to ask for high costs on service and on spare parts.

If you're using the car for self driving, i would definately recommend the Vtec...you'll fall in love with the car once you get to driving it...its a pleasure to drive it...Plus if you're going to be self driving...dont worry about the space as it ample...im 5'9" and its very comfortable for even a 6" person to drive.

Apart from all that...the MP3/CST player and the speedometer is the best ever along with eye candy interiors in comparison to dull ones in the optra.

Performace: Bro, thats one thing that no one ever questions about a VTEC :-) Not one car in or around its class can challenge the performance it gives.

Last edited by v.tec : 30th April 2007 at 15:55.
Old 30th April 2007, 16:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.tec View Post
Hey, Vishesh
The steering turns like butter and one can take U turns so easily because of the high turning radius of the car.
perhaps you meant low turning radius

Quote:
A Honda is a car that one KNOWS would never break down... but Chevy has been known to ask for high costs on service and on spare parts.
is this true? and what if does at all require towing, will there be a honda dealer in say mysore for helping you out? i m not saying chevy will, but this is a point you have to think of as well right?

Quote:
If you're using the car for self driving, i would definately recommend the Vtec...you'll fall in love with the car once you get to driving it...its a pleasure to drive it...Plus if you're going to be self driving...dont worry about the space as it ample...im 5'9" and its very comfortable for even a 6" person to drive.

Apart from all that...the MP3/CST player and the speedometer is the best ever along with eye candy interiors in comparison to dull ones in the optra.

Performace: Bro, thats one thing that no one ever questions about a VTEC :-) Not one car in or around its class can challenge the performance it gives.
i agree in toto w.r.t performance. nothing to beat the vtec, but features? just wait for the SX4
Old 30th April 2007, 16:38   #120
BANNED

Vishesh
City Will come Soon with a Facelift +Abs & airbags , I'll buy Optra if i were u Or u can stretch your budget & go with Corolla Executive or Wait for Sx4 .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks