Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Car confusion!

Hello everyone! I am new here. After selling my faithful Esteem VX, I am on the lookout for a sedan/estate (not interested in bootless hatchbacks). I am 5'10'', 90 kg, wife is 5'9" and have two long-legged kids; so I need a roomy car. My travel is limited to, say, about 200-300 km per month, mostly in a small town, plus occasional trips to Chennai (75 km one way), yearly once/twice travel to hometown in Kerala (600 km, one way). I want comfort, safety and low overall maintenance (I may switch to LPG/CNG if petrol price heads still north!). Since my driving is limited, FE is not a big issue (important, nonetheless ). My budget is 5.5 to 6.5 lakhs. After much research, I zeroed on to Aveo, Fiesta (both base models) and Palio Adventure. The latter looks like a sensible bet; but I am concerned about spare parts availability and small but nagging problems (which, considering the generally poor A.S.S. may take the fun out of owning a car like that). Not to mention the continued production of a poorly selling model. Please note, I plan to keep the car for a long time (7 plus years). Please advise.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Amongst the choices you mentioned the Fiesta sounds like the most sensible option if you are ok with the rest of the things (including space). With a 7+ years of ownership period I am sure things like Resell Value, A.S.S. will mean little in the long run. You can be sure that long before your 7 years get over the car would have gone out of production and you will find that maintenance will become a problem. The more exotic the model/manufacturer the more the chances of trouble. In fact from that angle a Maruti is a much cleaner bet. But then SX4 will probably not fit into your budget. Tatas I am sure you won't consider (you seem to have a penchant for Euro/American cars). So amongst your limited choices (as mentioned by you) Fiesta it has to be, IMO.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is what i would recommend based on your preference :

1. Renault Logan
2. Chevrolet Aveo 1.4
3. Ford Fiesta 1.4
4. Tata Indigo.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayalam View Post
Hello everyone! I am new here. After selling my faithful Esteem VX, I am on the lookout for a sedan/estate (not interested in bootless hatchbacks). I am 5'10'', 90 kg, wife is 5'9" and have two long-legged kids; so I need a roomy car.
Considering the requirement of Roomy Car, it would be good to check out Logan and Indigo. If you have already ruled them out then its a different story.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

In the range you are looking at i feel "indigo diesel" and "fiat Adventure" fits, indigo with good milage wont pinch your pocket much, same time its very roomy. on the other hand Adventure would be a fun to drive machine, with good space and lovely comfort. good suspensions, fast but the down side is FE, maintanence should not be a issue.
Old 6th July 2007, 12:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also you can try "mahindra Bolero" tuff, spacious, decent fe(its a diesel) but not fast i think for 6.7 you will get a fully loaded version. great for long drives, suitable for any kind of road condition.

I would recommend that you go for a bolero,

- Roomy, can take up to 7 adults... it wont mind neither you will try doing the same in sedan
- Decent FE, about 15 on hiway
- Tuff - can take bad roads, dont have to worry about road conditon when you planning a trip

Last edited by lohithrao : 6th July 2007 at 12:52. Reason: addition in content
Old 6th July 2007, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

You might also want to look at the base model of the Safari. Might overshoot your budget a bit but its well worth it.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Bearing in mind that you would like to keep the car for 7+ years you should look for a reliable manufacture. Maruti and tatas would be your best bet. The indigo is real roomy but it ain't no drivers car. Also dunno how well the diesel version ages. Take a look at indigo XL as well.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Guys I know Indigo really suits his requirements. But then he seems to have already narrowed down to three cars and wants the advice on which of these he should buy.
Old 6th July 2007, 15:43   #10
BHPian

Thanks guys for double quickie response. Not that I have really closed other options. The three cars (Aveo, Fiesta and Adventure) seemed to fit my requirements rather well. I did not like the look of Logan; it looks as if someone just kicked its bottom. I need to drive the car to office and you know Bolero is not of that type. Indigo Dicor I did consider (in fact I feel Indigo is a really good car, provided you sit at the back). But the general advice that is floating around on these auto-websites is that for limited driving (less than 12k per year), diesel is not a good option (though this point might be debatable). Fiesta is a good car; what is troubling me is its maintenance costs. I TD'd SX4, but I felt it is a quite nice executive car, though not a good family car (the middle backseat issue). I'd definitely buy Esteem if Maruti came out with a new version of it tomorrow, but one does not know what is their plans. What do you guys think about Aveo? Looks great, reviews have also been good. Do I hear its crashworthiness is poor?
Old 6th July 2007, 17:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Amongst your choices, I would suggest:
1) Fiesta.
2) Aveo.
3) Adventure.

You can see the threads for more explanations on above choices. I need not explain in details of the above cas.....

Try Logan, if you want more space inside and FE is also good.....
Old 6th July 2007, 17:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Which dealers are present in your town ? Will you have to go to Chennai for your purchase and subsequent servicing ?

I would suggest going for a car that you can service locally. You would find local garage support for most Maruti's, Tata's and Hyundai's within the 6.5L range. Have look at the Indigo Marina (petrol or diesel). IMO that's a much better looking car than the Indigo sedan + you'll have unbeatable space too.
Old 7th July 2007, 21:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

I feel you should go with Adventure, Logan, Indigo, Safari. These provide very good space inside and good ones.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th July 2007, 22:03   #14
BHPian

Logan eventhough it dont look good u Feel SAFE inside unlike Maruti which wobbles and gives me that kind of unsecure feeling all the time
Old 7th July 2007, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I feel you should go with Adventure, Logan, Indigo, Safari. These provide very good space inside and good ones.

Regards,

Ravi.
After an esteem, all the above cars would be like bullock carts except maybe the Adventure. .

Fiesta may be a better bet if it is within your budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks