Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Used Honda Amaze Diesel or stretch budget for Tata Tiago CNG?

My friend is looking to buy his first car in the family. Looking at my interest in cars, he turned towards me for the advice. He/his family are a complete newbie towards cars.

Set of requirements -

1) Should be reliable,cheap to run, own and maintain. This is the prime criteria.
2) Family of four, below average height.
3) Should be easy to drive in city.
4) Budget - 7 lakhs. Currently he is thinking of stretching to 8.64 L and get a Tiago I CNG XZ+.
However, this (7 lakhs includes majorly loan amount) is quite a stretch for him and is confused.
5) Yearly running - 10K kms.

Options -
1) Tiago I CNG XT/XZ+
2) Grand I 10 Nios Magna CNG
3) Honda Amaze IDTEC VX (57K run,Dec 2016 model)
4) Maruti Ignis Zeta 1.3 (45K run, 2017 model)

He was apprehensive of pre-owned cars, but now that I have suggested him of the same, he is now thinking on the same lines.

Quoted price for Amaze and Ignis are 5.75 L and 6 L (negotiable) respectively. Both are single owner cars. Have checked the Amaze and Ignis, and both appear to be in great condition. The go ahead will be given only if both cars get a green signal from Honda and Maruti service dealership.

Considering he is extremely tight on budget, I believe the pre owned options (especially Amaze) make more sense, however, would like your opinions, considering this is his first car in family.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:40   #2
AZT
BHPian

re: Used Honda Amaze Diesel or stretch budget for Tata Tiago CNG?

Just a heads up on the recent CNG price hike news:
Quote:
Prices of natural gas, which is used to generate electricity, make fertiliser and is converted into CNG to run automobiles were hiked by a steep 40% to record levels, in step with global firming up of energy rates.
Source: https://www.livemint.com/news/gas-pr...549485556.html

Your friend needs to realize if a yearly 10k run justifies buying a CNG and the decreased boot space, lining up at pumps etc. that comes with it.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Honda Amaze Diesel or stretch budget for Tata Tiago CNG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
1) Tiago I CNG XT/XZ+
4) Maruti Ignis Zeta 1.3 (45K run, 2017 model).
First car and clearly a close friend. Tell him to go for a new car. Reasons = if the used car turns out to be troublesome, he will be upset with you. New car is new car, especially when it's the first car of the family and hence, something that will bring immense pride & joy.

The Tiago CNG is one of the best implemented CNG systems I have seen. Between this and a used Amaze, better he goes for a new Tiago CNG.

Keeping his requirements in mind, he should also consider a new Maruti hatchback, something like a WagonR or an Ignis.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...requirements -

1) Should be reliable,cheap to run, own and maintain. This is the prime criteria.
4) Budget - 7 lakhs. Currently he is thinking of stretching to 8.64 L and get a Tiago I CNG XZ+.
However, this (7 lakhs includes majorly loan amount) is quite a stretch for him and is confused.
5) Yearly running - 10K kms...
Wagon R 1.2 would be a good addition to the choices list. Peppy, spacious, frugal, effortless to drive, fits the budget. It's a 'big' car in a small car form factor, and for small car money. I've recently been driving my dad's Wagon R 1.2 around town a fair bit and also drove it 1600 kms on a highway run. It's fantastic for what it is.

If your friend would prefer something a little less spacious but more contemporarily styled, look at the Ignis.

I'd avoid compact CNG hatchbacks as family cars, the boot is practically unusable.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R/Celerio should be the choices he should be looking at. For a first car I would prefer something like a hatchback since he is complete newbie. A used car will come with its issues like eg was the car in a accident? or was it flood affected? etc. A new fresh car is the best option. Let him feel the new car smell rather than bear the soiled interiors of a used car.

Good luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Here is my 2 cents-

1. Used car loans are significantly more expensive than new car loans, Unless your friend is buying it cash down used car is not a great idea.
https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/re...-used-car-loan

2. As GTO and others mentioned new car will have less hassles and more peace of mind.

3. I personally don't like the Maruti Small cars, but for a first time buyer Maruti is a great choice, close second is Tata and my personal preference is a Tiago.

4. But if your friend is a little adventurous and would probably keep the car for 10 Yrs then he could try the Citroen C3, this has a heavy personal bias as i like european cars for their build and ride.

Last edited by sreedotk : 3rd October 2022 at 19:10.
sreedotk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:56   #7
BHPian

My vote is for a new car, especially since you've mentioned that he and his family are newbies towards cars.

Instead of specifying a particular make/model, I would like to add another point of view:

I'm going to assume that the used car is out of OEM warranty. So at some point, he's going to need to head to a mechanic / FNG since older / used cars usually have a lower tolerance level to the regular abuse faced on our roads vs. their new-from-factory counterparts. Since it's the first car in the family, even the smallest dent/ scratch/ breakdown can feel monumental.

You never forget your first

Add to it the hunt for a FNG, which could be a bit daunting for him at first (and that's assuming the mechanic doesn't take him for a ride - pun intended).

With new cars and extended warranties, there's that little peace of mind since ASCs usually don't mess with under-warranty cars. He can use this time to research on his car, find good FNGs and mechanics and just get better acquainted with the whole processes of taking care of his baby.

In the long run, a new car will be a win.

Quote:
My friend is looking to buy his first car in the family. Looking at my interest in cars, he turned towards me for the advice. He/his family are a complete newbie towards cars.

Set of requirements -

5) Yearly running - 10K kms.

Options -
1) Tiago I CNG XT/XZ+
4) Maruti Ignis Zeta 1.3 (45K run, 2017 model)

He was apprehensive of pre-owned cars, but now that I have suggested him of the same, he is now thinking on the same lines.

Quoted price for Amaze and Ignis are 5.75 L and 6 L (negotiable) respectively. Both are single owner cars. Have checked the Amaze and Ignis, and both appear to be in great condition. The go ahead will be given only if both cars get a green signal from Honda and Maruti service dealership.

Considering he is extremely tight on budget, I believe the pre owned options (especially Amaze) make more sense, however, would like your opinions, considering this is his first car in family.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 3rd October 2022 at 19:59.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 21:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is your friend insisting on CNG? With gas prices what they are and his limited running, he will be better off with an efficient petrol. He will save on initial cost of 1lakh straightaway and also retain the full boot. He should simply consider the base variant of the Baleno, which by all means is a car from a segment above the Tiago. Simple proven mechanicals, refined, efficient and reliable engine and plenty of space. Your friend should also look for pre owned Amaze petrols, 1-2 years old.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:38   #9
BHPian

I recommend a new car. Used car may not be as reliable as a new car. Also, the used car prices are so high now.

For a yearly running of 10k km, CNG isn't necessary. The time taken to compensate the increased buying price with the money saved on fuel would be too long, especially with the lower power figures, he might not enjoy the car ownership experience.

My recommendations are as below :
If the usage is mostly within city limits, wagon R 1.2L should be ideal. It has adequate power and good fuel efficiency(K12C engine is turned for fuel efficiency). If there is considerable highway usage and safety is important, Tiago petrol should be a good choice.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 07:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Tiago CNG is one of the best implemented CNG systems I have seen. Between this and a used Amaze, better he goes for a new Tiago CNG.

Keeping his requirements in mind, he should also consider a new Maruti hatchback, something like a WagonR or an Ignis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Wagon R 1.2 would be a good addition to the choices list. Peppy, spacious, frugal, effortless to drive, fits the budget. It's a 'big' car in a small car form factor, and for small car money. I've recently been driving my dad's Wagon R 1.2 around town a fair bit and also drove it 1600 kms on a highway run. It's fantastic for what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Wagon R/Celerio should be the choices he should be looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Here is my 2 cents-

1. Used car loans are significantly more expensive than new car loans, Unless your friend is buying it cash down used car is not a great idea.
https://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/re...-used-car-loan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post

In the long run, a new car will be a win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why is your friend insisting on CNG? With gas prices what they are and his limited running, he will be better off with an efficient petrol. He will save on initial cost of 1lakh straightaway and also retain the full boot. He should simply consider the base variant of the Baleno, which by all means is a car from a segment above the Tiago. Simple proven mechanicals, refined, efficient and reliable engine and plenty of space. Your friend should also look for pre owned Amaze petrols, 1-2 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I recommend a new car. Used car may not be as reliable as a new car. Also, the used car prices are so high now.
Thank you all for your responses. I will try to summarise the responses below-

1) Most of you recommend going for a new car.
2) Most of you prefer going the Wagon R route.
3) CNG prices are almost as close to Diesel currently. (91 vs 93 in Pune, petrol @106). Doesn't make sense to go for cng anymore.
4) Used cars can be a gamble.

My friends and my take on these responses -

1) He is someone who won't be spending on cars in future even after his financial condition improves drastically. He plans to use this car for longest duration of time ( atleast 10 years, Max could go upto 17-18 years). Hence looking for maximum bang for buck.

2) My friend would want something safer. If safety wasn't a concern, Espresso/Alto/ celerio would be top of his list.

3) I have never used a CNG vehicle. I agree the prices are now negligibly lower than diesel, but isn't the fuel efficiency drastically more ? I am of the assumption that cng cars deliver much better FE than a Diesel/petrol? For instance the cng Tiago is rated at 26.5~ kmpl, whereas the petrol Tiago is at around 20. My sister has a petrol Tiago and it barely manages 12-13 kmpl in Pune City traffic. My assumption is that the cng vehicles deliver much better FE and should be able to deliver 20-22 kmpl in Pune City ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

4) Used cars can be a gamble and have made my friend aware of the associated risks. My dad owned a 2013 Amaze diesel , 1.05 lakh kms, for nearly 7 years. It's a no nonsense car and never gave any tantrums to us. Even on its last day with us, it managed a 25.9 kmpl FE ! I will be accompanying my friend to checkout (his would be) pre-owned amaze and would also be taking the car to nearby Honda dealership to check it's history. If they give a thumbs up should we pursue with the Amaze ? Mind you he is saving nearly 50% of his budget with this choice !

* A strict no on the C3. While it's a mechanically fantastic car, my friend doesn't trust a new to India brand Citroen.

Last edited by 07CR : 4th October 2022 at 07:42.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 07:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) He plans to use this car for longest duration of time ( atleast 10 years, Max could go upto 17-18 years). Hence looking for maximum bang for buck.

3). I agree the prices are now negligibly lower than diesel, but isn't the fuel efficiency drastically more

4) Used cars can be a gamble and have made my friend aware of the associated risks.
The fact that your friend is looking to keep the car for 10-15 years should rule out pre owned cars right there. An older car will feel totally obsolete and start falling apart by then. The old Amaze is certainly no gold standard when it comes to ageing well. No budget cars is. Do not expect the longevity of original Altos and WagonRs and Santros, they don’t build cars like that anymore.

The limited budget and long expected ownership strengthens the case for the lowest model of the biggest and highest segment car he can afford. Little features can always be added later on when budget permits, keeps the car updated over time.

Don’t see the sense for CNG, especially for such a long ownership. Yes, the Tiago CNG will give 18-20km/kg when the petrol Tiago gives 12. But something like the Baleno or Swift will give 15kmpl in similar conditions Better compromise - a far less complicated engine, no range or refilling issues and retain the boot. Tiago CNG boot space is ZERO, which is totally unacceptable for someone’s only car.

Honestly, there is no sub 8L car which I see having the build and longevity to last 10-15 years without becoming a pain and/or a money pit. These are best sold off after 4-5 years (depreciation hit is minimum) and replacement with something similar. If the person is sure of such a long ownership period, I’d suggest he stretch for the Mahindra Bolero Neo (TUV300).

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th October 2022 at 08:01.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 08:54   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

If your friend is insistent on high fuel efficiency and is ok with a used car, then the Honda Amaze diesel would be a good fit, although I am quite skeptical of getting a used car, especially since it's going to be used for over a decade.

If he is going for a new car, I would recommend the Wagon-R 1.2, it's a practical hatch with good fuel efficiency and potent engine.

When considering long term ownership, the service, reliability and availability of spare parts are all factors to be taken into consideration, with these in mind, a Maruti would always be the better choice. No wonder it (Wagon-R) is one of the most sold cars in India.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 09:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

If used car is the way he wants to go I would suggest taking a look at Toyota Etios/Liva as well. While they maybe bland in looks they will run long and trouble free. While buying used, kindly go to the service station/ authorized dealer of the brand and get the car checked out thoroughly. Also ask for the entire service history. Avoid any car with more than 1 owner. Inspection should be a must.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2022 at 17:56. Reason: Typo
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 12:19   #14
BHPian

First car should always be a new one. You never know what may go wrong with a pre owned one. Considering his running I guess a Petrol car makes more sense.
I didn’t find safety rating in a Bhpians priority list. Strange? Unless the car will be used only in cities it’s better to consider a 4/5 star car.
This will narrow down his search to Honda and Tata.
For 7 Lakhs Tata Tiago MT Petrol is the only option
bravo82in is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 14:40   #15
BANNED

I would say having a used car as one's first car is no harm. I got mine (Maruti 800) long back used and it served me well for nearly 10 years. Then i upgraded to New Honda city.

For the best bang for the buck, out of your list i would have gone with Honda Amaze:

- Reliable, fuss free ownership
- Very practical car- space, boot and ergonomics
- High mileage, although your friends running is low (but high mileage will give additional ammunition to have more trips)
- Reasonable service cost
- Rest is your friend's luck.

As the saying goes- You don't choose the car, The car choses you.

All the best.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks