Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 09:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
As a fellow car enthusiast who owns two twenty plus year old cars (a 2000 Maruti 800 5 speed and a 2000 Maruti Alto VXi 1.1) I can tell you that age is just a number for Japanese cars. Both are going strong at 1.2L kms each. We also had a 1992 maruti 800 which had clocked 2L kms on stock engine and gearbox. These are simple cars with simple tech, which means in a five year period, they'll prove to be cheaper to maintain than a new honda city. And the D4D is great at munching miles, albeit at a slow pace. I would highly recommend you to pamper her a bit (new tyres, ICE with damping, new mats, steering and gear knob, etc) and retain her for a few more years.

Invest your EMI amount in a SIP and use your car money as a growing asset instead of a depreciating one.

On the other hand, I would seriously urge you to look at a used Jetta TDi too. One of the best used cars today out there. Maintance will be on the higher side though, but one drive and you wouldn't care a dime about that. 😁
This entire post summarizes all those who proposed to keep the Corolla Altis instead of spending on a new car.

Its only smart to invest your probable EMIs in MFs or SIPs or commodity so that when the EV Tech matures, you would have enough savings to buy a car costing twice or even thrice of Honda City.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 10:45   #47
BHPian

Being a person having Corolla 1.8 E 2006 and Honda City 2013, my experience with Corolla on an overall basis is superior to City. Be it service, long drives or maintenance, Corolla is easy to go with. City definitely trumps over many other models, but in comparison to Corolla, it is subdued. Corolla is a keeper, anyday.
Aravindpn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The resale value of the Altis is anyway completely rock bottom so there not too much incremental depreciation loss.
Can you please throw some light on why the resale value of Altis is adjudged to be rock bottom? Is it just due to the fact that it is discontinued or is there some Altis/Toyota specific market sentiment to this assertion? Thanks.
victoriacc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:55   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
Can you please throw some light on why the resale value of Altis is adjudged to be rock bottom? Is it just due to the fact that it is discontinued or is there some Altis/Toyota specific market sentiment to this assertion? Thanks.
Nothing to do with Toyota in general or Altis in particular.

I just mean that a 10 year old car has already reached a very low residual value in terms of resale and more importantly, the scope for incremental depreciation is also relatively small in absolute terms.

Hope that clarifies.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:33   #50
BHPian

My 2 cents,
All the suggestions are surely logic backed and do make sense. But I personally would go for a pre-owned Corolla Altis (2017-2020). Now I do realise you dont want to get into buying a used car this time. But hey! It's a Corolla altis we're talking about replacing. Massive respect for city but you see one can only compare like variables. In space the new altis might be a bit less but in overall ownership experience it's the best of both worlds- reliability and mechanics of the Corolla and appeal that is similar to the new city. Since it has been discontinued you could possibly even get to extent of grabbing an amazing deal for just 7L. Also, being a toyota the part availability and cost is much less when considering a car that has been discontinued. The cherry �� to the cake is the status symbol the Altis is when compared to the City.
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 18:41   #51
BHPian

Mate, if you were in Bangalore or anywhere near here, I'd convince you to sell the car to me

On a serious note, just hang on to the beauty for the next 10 years, or at least 5 and then switch over to the electric bandwagon. You already have a very reliable and beautiful car, what more would one need! Happy motoring
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 04:10   #52
BHPian

May I recommend you going for another Altis instead of buying a New Honda City?

There should be plenty examples in MH depending on which City you prefer as the Altis has sold fairly well especially the 11th generation. Just like the 10th Generation, it was quite popular as well hence finding one of 2015 - 16 Vintage shouldn't be too difficult. Moreover, it will be a proper upgrade for you even though it's the same car I know but still something much more better when you're considering the Petrol.

The new City is a modern car, well engineered and blah blah but once you get used to a Toyota, nothing else feels convincing enough in terms of sheer reliability, longevity and the peaceful ownership experience. Also, if you can find one do look for a Camry, you can get one in your budget. Yes! The maintenance will be slightly high but not a major deterrent. It's an absolutely beautiful car with no non sense frills and pure engineering built to age well.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks