Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 15:40   #1

Which car in the 'almost luxury' segment for 35-lakhs?

So my dad has been driving a Creta since the past 6 years.. Clocked over a 100,000 kms on it, and overall still loves the car.

But now he's willing to move towards a new car. A sort of a premium or Luxury car if you will.

At first he was adamant to buy an SUV saying that he's driven only an SUV since the past 6 years so wouldn't like a sedan anymore.. Budget was set at 30-35L, with 35L being pushing it.

So we started seeing all SUVs available in the range. And we found out there weren't many available. The only options were Jeep Compass (which is wayy too overpriced for what it's offering) and Audi Q2 (which i feel is not worth the money considering again what it's offering).

So finally convinced dad to try out the sedan segment too, just for the sake of it. But before that, he test drove a Harrier and a Safari, and he fell in love with both of them and almost finalised harrier dark before i stepped in and asked him to wait.

In sedans, he drove the Skoda Superb, Octavia, A4, and the Merc A class. While he likes the A4 and A class, the budget is going above 40L which isn't what we're looking to spend. And I don't want him to get a harrier or Safari for 25+L when he can easily get a Superb or Octavia for 30-34L.

Is there any other cars worth considering? And overall thoughts on all the cars mentioned in this thread. .If you had to pick one, which would you go with.
jenil_295 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 17:59   #2
BHPian

re: Which car in the 'almost luxury' segment for 35-lakhs?

Unless you’re open to used cars, out the models mentioned would recommend the Superb any day for your father over the others, please don’t compare subcompact entry level Germans like the Q2 or A class with a superb which is at least 2 sizes larger and has a much better interior (and more space) than these. The A4 will drive a little better but I don’t think handling is the primary requirement here. Good luck.
AJ56 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I really liked the A class when I saw it in person. I liked it better than the more expensive siblings in the showroom. I am on the shorter/slimmer side of the build, totally fine with the space available, probably the reason why I liked it.

Cars have become very expensive. If you step into MB/BMW range, things are going to get expensive really fast. Certainly a good choice if in the mood for some indulgence - they are definitely worth the premium they charge. Personally I would happily pay 25% more for A class compared to Superb. There is a lot of wow factor with MB/BMW range of cars. MB does a very good job even with their entry level cars (in fact their entry level cars look better inside out).

If you want to enjoy power and driving dynamics more than the prestige and plushness, Skoda cars offer tremendous value. Can't beat them in fun-per-rupee IMHO.

If you have the good fortune to afford one, it is worth experiencing a luxury brand once - as a first owner :-)

Last edited by androdev : 4th August 2021 at 18:11.
androdev is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would like to propose the below 2 alternatives:

1. Tucson Diesel Auto - It's bang in the middle of the 30-35lakh segment. It's decently loaded, and it will be an easy upgrade from the Creta.

2. Fortuner - It is a bit of stretch, but, it is worth every penny.

An SUV person will have a hard time adjusting to low-slung sedans.
Please keep these considerations in mind.
Lastly, there are hardly any 1-2 alternatives in the Sedan 25-35 Lakh range.
abhishek46 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenil_295 View Post

So finally convinced dad to try out the sedan segment too, just for the sake of it. But before that, he test drove a Harrier and a Safari, and he fell in love with both of them and almost finalised harrier dark before i stepped in and asked him to wait.

In sedans, he drove the Skoda Superb, Octavia, A4, and the Merc A class. While he likes the A4 and A class, the budget is going above 40L which isn't what we're looking to spend. And I don't want him to get a harrier or Safari for 25+L when he can easily get a Superb or Octavia for 30-34L.

Is there any other cars worth considering? And overall thoughts on all the cars mentioned in this thread. .If you had to pick one, which would you go with.
I would even think of putting in a Toyota Camry in the mix here. The MY2021 Camry is around the corner, which might stretch your budget, but the current running model would be a very good contender of a luxury tech-sedan. If you can get hold of a pre-worshipped one, even better.
Do check out the Team BHP "Driven" report on the Camry. And get a test drive ofcourse. You will be pleasantly surprised at the value proposition
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Unless you’re open to used cars, out the models mentioned would recommend the Superb any day for your father over the others, please don’t compare subcompact entry level Germans like the Q2 or A class with a superb which is at least 2 sizes larger and has a much better interior (and more space) than these. The A4 will drive a little better but I don’t think handling is the primary requirement here. Good luck.
While both me and my brother in law wants him to get the A4, he is dead set on not wanting to exceed his budget of 34-35L (and that is also pushing it.. He wants to settle somewhere between 30-32L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I really liked the A class when I saw it in person. I liked it better than the more expensive siblings in the showroom. I am on the shorter/slimmer side of the build, totally fine with the space available, probably the reason why I liked it.

Cars have become very expensive. If you step into MB/BMW range, things are going to get expensive really fast. Certainly a good choice if in the mood for some indulgence - they are definitely worth the premium they charge. Personally I would happily pay 25% more for A class compared to Superb. There is a lot of wow factor with MB/BMW range of cars. MB does a very good job even with their entry level cars (in fact their entry level cars look better inside out).

If you want to enjoy power and driving dynamics more than the prestige and plushness, Skoda cars offer tremendous value. Can't beat them in fun-per-rupee IMHO.

If you have the good fortune to afford one, it is worth experiencing a luxury brand once - as a first owner :-)
That's what we've been aiming for. We got a BMW X1 for around 40L, similar priced A4 too, but he's dead set on his budget of 35L..

Finally convinced him to take a test drive of the skoda and he did come out impressed with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would like to propose the below 2 alternatives:

1. Tucson Diesel Auto - It's bang in the middle of the 30-35lakh segment. It's decently loaded, and it will be an easy upgrade from the Creta.

2. Fortuner - It is a bit of stretch, but, it is worth every penny.

An SUV person will have a hard time adjusting to low-slung sedans.
Please keep these considerations in mind.
Lastly, there are hardly any 1-2 alternatives in the Sedan 25-35 Lakh range.
I did take a look at tucson, but the car already feels like it is 5 years old.. Plus he does not want to go with hyundai for his next car as he feels, and i agree, that it will give pretty much the same experience as the creta and he wants something different and new.

We TD'd Fortuner and Endevour and while he did like the fortuner, we're barely a family of 4 and absolutely do not need a 7 seater car.. If we do get one, not only will it be a massive waste of space, but it will absolutely not be able to be used in the city, which is a good chunk of his requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I would even think of putting in a Toyota Camry in the mix here. The MY2021 Camry is around the corner, which might stretch your budget, but the current running model would be a very good contender of a luxury tech-sedan. If you can get hold of a pre-worshipped one, even better.
Do check out the Team BHP "Driven" report on the Camry. And get a test drive ofcourse. You will be pleasantly surprised at the value proposition
I've never really considered the camry to be honest. I will take a look at it.

Could you tell me why Camry isn't well known. To be honest, I wasn't even aware toyota was still selling the camry in India.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th August 2021 at 22:01. Reason: Mod note attached.
jenil_295 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

How about GLA? It is expensive for what it offers but it seems like a wonderful upgrade from the Creta while still being compact! But discounts should be available. He might love it!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But now he's willing to move towards a new car. A sort of a premium or Luxury car if you will.
My suggestion would be to define what you (or your dad in this case) wants in precise terms, rather than defining it as a "premium or luxury cars". I do not think there is any real meaning to the term premium or luxury in cars, and looking at such vague impressions often leads to more confusion for buyers.

Instead, I would suggest defining precisely what you want. Some of the more concrete parameters to consider would be: space, engine performance and type (petrol/diesel), reliability, handling for an enthusiastic driving experience or the luxury of a backseat comfort, dynamic qualities or the gizmos and gadgets (or both - they need not be mutually exclusive) etc. Once you define what you (or your dad) want, the selection will be easy or in some cases automatic.

For example, from the above list if you pick space, engine performance, comfort, features and gadgets (but not necessarily the driving experience and dynamics), then a Superb becomes a great choice.

On the other hand, if you choose driving experience as the main thing above anything else, then maybe an Octavia vRS (I found the new 2.0TSI a bit bland for driving, but even that is a great choice if you like it) or a used 3-series (or new if the budget permits it) becomes a natural choice.

I think the choices will emerge logically once you define what you want and in what order of priorities.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th August 2021 at 19:22.
Dr.AD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:09   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

I second what Dr.AD says above; please try defining what you need better and you will automatically be able to pick by yourself. Ask yourself what is luxury? Is it badge snob value? Is it space? Is it quality of leather? Is it convenience and a small footprint?

I think since your dad is going to be driving himself, he has given us a very big clue by being adamant about having an SUV. What I feel this could mean, considering he isn't asking for an SUV to go off-road in, is that he feels more comfortable with the upright seating posture and that he appreciates the raised view of things since it probably makes it easier for him to judge in traffic. Don't push him into a sedan if he feels he cannot drive it as easily. I see many people driving big sedans and braking unnecessarily or being extra cautious since they simply aren't adept enough to handle the size of the vehicle from the low height that they are seated at. Keeping all of that in mind, I would say the Tuscon, GLA, Compass, Tiguan and Q2 are the best options for him. They are all not unwieldly in terms of size but at the same time they all communicate a good sense of "luxury". Your local dealer might even give you a neat deal on the Tuscon if you go to him with the Creta

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th August 2021 at 21:13.
IshaanIan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 09:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car in the 'almost luxury' segment for 35-lakhs?

Quote:
Could you tell me why Camry isn't well known.
There could be various reasons, but IMHO, in a world of 35-40 lakh price range for luxury sedans, the Camry is possibly dealing with mainly 2 types of competition:
1. The "branded" competition - BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Mostly the pre-worshipped kind.
2. The "VFM" competition - Superb, Passat, Octavia (latest-gen)

So, the Camry has a lot of ground to cover here. And except for the "hybrid" sell, the Camry has probably nothing else to boast about. Well, maybe except Toyota's bullet proof reliability!

But in the same breath, I would also like to think that folks who end up buying the Camry eventually, will most probably live with this car till their tombstone.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 09:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

For someone who has driven SUVs till now, I am surprised that Crysta ZX AT is not in consideration. For me, it is the best new car one can buy now for less than 35 lakhs. It is a better SUV than Harrier and Safari. I consider it safer than Safari twins too since it has at least earned a safety rating in someplace in the world. If he has liked Safari twins, he will like Crysta too. And a Crysta definitely carries more snob value than a Tata in my opinion. But as a package, value for money proposition and assuming everything works as advertised, it is the Safari for me.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th August 2021 at 10:01.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 10:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I don't want him to get a harrier or Safari for 25+L when he can easily get a Superb or Octavia for 30-34L.

Whats your rationale for NOT letting him buy a Harrier or a Safari?

The Harrier is by far the best looking car in the Indian market. PERIOD!

While the niggles are something which will trouble you, the car is fairly sorted on the mechanical fundamentals. Also the maintenance will be fairly reasonable compared to a Luxury sedan, atleast 3x I would say.

I would suggest, let him get a Harrier and you can get a used BMW 3 series for the remaining money
2000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 10:21   #13
BHPian

Wait for the new VW Tiguan. It seems to be the best option for you since you need a 5 seater suv in this price bracket. Should come with a 2.0 l petrol engine with 184 bhp and almost Audi like interiors.
Skoda Kodiaq might also solve your problems.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and i agree, that it will give pretty much the same experience as the creta and he wants something different and new.
Revaluate this with a proper TD of a new Tucson.

For a start and apart from the badge, it does not feel as a Hyundai. The SUV is tight, is spacious, fast, has an awesome engine with very good GB, 400 NM of torque, large sun-roof & LED lamps. Is now equipped with good sound system too. Even if you don't buy, you should experience before making a decision.

Or, the VW Tiguan.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th August 2021 at 11:12.
Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my dad has been driving a Creta since the past 6 years.. Clocked over a 100,000 kms on it, and overall still loves the car.

At first he was adamant to buy an SUV saying that he's driven only an SUV since the past 6 years so wouldn't like a sedan anymore.. Budget was set at 30-35L, with 35L being pushing it.
Why don't you look at Citroen C5 Aircross. It's new in the market, very comfortable and fits in your budget. It's a SUV, so your Father will not miss out on this aspect.
Also the car will stand out among the ocean of similar looking cars in this segment.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks