Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2021, 14:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car in the 'almost luxury' segment for 35-lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenil_295 View Post

So finally convinced dad to try out the sedan segment too, just for the sake of it. But before that, he test drove a Harrier and a Safari, and he fell in love with both of them and almost finalised harrier dark before i stepped in and asked him to wait.
Harrier would be great choice. Top end Automatic Harrier you can get as you already ready for more budget. Automatic variant is really good and you can get it below 25 Lacs. You can bargain hard and you can get some good deal as well. It has damn good power and is quite comfortable too.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 17:33   #32
BHPian

For premium quality under 35 lacs i have four picks
1. Superb
2. Octavia
3. Jeep
4 T-roc

Pick anyone of these and you will not be disappointed.
Old 6th August 2021, 20:14   #33

Having used a Creta for 6 years, it may be impractical for him to move into the sedan category. He may like the test drives but can regret the decision few months into the ownership. I would suggest you stick to an SUV as it gives a better driving position and overall better view of the road especially in Indian conditions. They also offer better interior space.

My suggestion would be a T-Roc/Tiguan in the <35L price range. They are cars with good features and have the German sturdiness to them. If you manage to stretch the budget then it's definitely the X1!
Old 6th August 2021, 23:57   #34
BHPian

The Tucson is already available in a completely revamped version in other markets now. Expect it to have an update soon
Old 7th August 2021, 05:25   #35
BHPian

For the aforesaid budget, you can look at the following options:

1. Brand New Ford Endeavour.
2. Brand New VW Taigun.
3. Per-owned Audi Q5.
4. Pre-owned BMW X3.
5. Per-owned Toyota Fortuner.
Old 7th August 2021, 10:16   #36
Sky

Since you had mentioned that you were looking for an Suv under the price segment 30-35 lakhs, i would like to suggest the Mahindra Alturas G4. You should definately give it a test drive. And not to forget the discounts that mahindra is offering, if you are lucky you could get the vehicle for around 30 lakhs. Considering the vehicle to the other one's in the competition it's worth a try. Now as you have mentioned about trying out a premium sedan i would like to suggest the Skoda Octavia. The driving experience that this offers is unmatched by any other car in this price segment.
Old 7th August 2021, 10:23   #37
BHPian

Why is nobody recommending MG Gloster? It totally matches or even exceeds the OP ask for ‘almost luxury’
Old 7th August 2021, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why don't you look at Citroen C5 Aircross.
I was looking to see if this got mentioned in this price bracket. The C5 does seem to be a very attractive option considering its a new car that is well reviewed abroad. The only thing that could probably sour the experience would be the ASS.

Considering it is under the Stellantis brand, I would assume Citroen will be using Jeep's service network in India and service costs should quite similar as well unless Citroen is using unique parts.
Old 7th August 2021, 11:35   #39
BHPian

I think we have started to miss the point, our advice is going practical, but what @jenil clearly wants is an emotional decision, he wants an entry to the luxury brands.

Clearly an entry to the epitome of luxury brands will not be possible in your budget, you are short by a good 10 lakhs. If you truly want to enjoy a Lux car, with your budget, you are a king in the pre owned market. You can get a proper pre owned luxury car under 3 years old, run less than 30k kms in your budget, and I'm not talking about the entry level cars of MB/BMW. You can get a mid level offering for what these brands are known for. You will get a 5 series, E class, A6, X3, Q5, GLC, Discovery Sport, Volvo XC60, S90. Or you can lap up a nearly new 3 series, C class, X1, GLA, XC40. And it is bliss to enjoy that, just the feeling of having saved 35-40% of the depreciation will give you the thrill.

But if you are hung up on brand new car, as hung up as your Dad on his budget, I don't see a satisfying end to the decision. You have to give up on at least one here. If I were you, I would take the pre owned route.

A lightly used luxury car is better than a brand new car in 30-35 lakhs budget, the quality, joy of driving and owning is of a different level, and I'm not even considering the snob value of these brands.

A luxury car is a luxury car, period.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 7th August 2021 at 11:45. Reason: Added
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 10:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Whats your rationale for NOT letting him buy a Harrier or a Safari?

The Harrier is by far the best looking car in the Indian market. PERIOD!

While the niggles are something which will trouble you, the car is fairly sorted on the mechanical fundamentals. Also the maintenance will be fairly reasonable compared to a Luxury sedan, atleast 3x I would say.

I would suggest, let him get a Harrier and you can get a used BMW 3 series for the remaining money
Harrier while being a beauty, still feels a bit raw. Besides, I don't know if I would be willing to invest 20 plus lakhs in a Tata car, despite it's recent improvements which have been great, but Tata has a reputation for shoddy after sales services, and periodic troubles in their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
Wait for the new VW Tiguan. It seems to be the best option for you since you need a 5 seater suv in this price bracket. Should come with a 2.0 l petrol engine with 184 bhp and almost Audi like interiors.
Skoda Kodiaq might also solve your problems.
I've been asking him to wait for the Tiguan since Early March. It was supposed to be launched in April, but didn't because of the second wave, otherwise that was mine and his preferred choice. He took a TD of the Allspace and liked the car enough to want the Tiguan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Revaluate this with a proper TD of a new Tucson.

For a start and apart from the badge, it does not feel as a Hyundai. The SUV is tight, is spacious, fast, has an awesome engine with very good GB, 400 NM of torque, large sun-roof & LED lamps. Is now equipped with good sound system too. Even if you don't buy, you should experience before making a decision.

Or, the VW Tiguan.
So I drove around in a friend's Tuscon on your recommendations, and yes I agree that it doesn't feel like a hyundai.. However, the interiors feel dated even by hyundai standards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Why don't you look at Citroen C5 Aircross. It's new in the market, very comfortable and fits in your budget. It's a SUV, so your Father will not miss out on this aspect.
Also the car will stand out among the ocean of similar looking cars in this segment.
He liked the C5 recently, and is keeping it under consideration. The only thing stopping him is the long term serviceability of Citroen. Similar to Peugeot, if Citroen exits the market after x years, it would be a very expensive car to service and repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
You have not specified the detailed requirements and priorities so I'm not sure anybody here will be able to guide you properly. That said, my suggestion would be a used Skoda Kodiaq or VW Tiguan diesel if you're open to considering pre owned options. Both are great cars at the price point and the diesel will have you covered since you have a high running.

Another offbeat option you should consider is an EV. The MG ZS EV as well as the Kona make for good cars for the daily commute if you have a regular IC car for those outstation trips. An added bonus is the very low service and running costs compared to the traditional options. I'd say try them once atleast before ruling them out
I personally love the MG EV, but our factory is on the outskirts of the city, and on buying this car, we'd be trading in the creta, which would leave us with no ICE car for outstation trips, which is why this isn't an option.

That said, I've decided that my next car would def be an electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I am in a similar dilemma with a budget of 30 - 35L. I have test driven A4 and Q2. Q2 is superb to drive but is very compact and expensive with missing many features. If I decide to go for a sedan it will be Superb only. But I don't think I will buy a sedan because my family prefers crossovers because of the ease of getting in and out of the car.
Why don't you have a look at the Citroen C5 aircross as well. It is extremely well built, unique styling inside and outside, a very good diesel engine and automatic 8 speed torque converter. They may start offering discounts soon.

I am yet to drive the Skodas but I did have a look at the superb just before covid happened when I had booked Kodiaq and cancelled the booking due to the pandemic. Superb is a long car which your dad may not be comfortable driving in and around the city.

Since you are looking at luxury brands, did you have a look at the Mini Countryman. I don't know if they are offering any discounts on it but if there are discounts in the range of 7-8 L, it may fit in your budget.
I drove the Superb, and the Octavia as well as the C5. Personally, I prefer the Superb over the latter two, but part of the reason would be because I find the design of the C5 a bit polarising, and the fact that the C5 is a bit overpriced for what it offers, since it being a CBU unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTSI View Post
One can certainly check out the Superb or the upcoming Kodiaq, they certainly feel premium and it fits in with the ethos of Skoda trying to be upmarket. Skoda has also said that they will improve their after-sales service network, ideally eliminating all Skoda servicing nightmares. An Audi/Mercedes/BMW will be a nice pick but you will need to shell out some extra money for all those optional extras which are almost irresistible and ultimately the total cost will exceed your budget
I've been trying to explain it to him the same fact, but once he gets his mind set, it is very difficult to change..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Following are worth considering:

1. Tucson (preferably the next gen one if you can wait for it)

2. Superb Sportsline (the most VFM offering IMO) (or Octavia if you prefer the more compact offering. Will also allow you to go for the higher end L&K trim at the same price).

3. Tiguan (if it is launched within that budget - I’d imagine it should be around that mark)

I would broadly say stay away from the big three Germans in the 35 lakh price bracket. They offer way too little for that money and the comparable sub - luxury premium offerings like the ones listed above offer a lot more vehicle for your money in a fairly premium packaging and with great engines as well.
I've been patiently asking him to wait for the Tiguan, as I know it would satisfy all his needs. However, since April till August right now, it hasnt launched and is slated to release by January now. So I wonder if dad would wait till then. He's been eying to b uy it before end of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Agree with fellow BHPians that it should be your Dad who should finally pick the car he likes since it would be him who would be driving it. If he's set on the Harrier then it should be that. Best you can do is to list down the specific needs like already suggested.

Going by the requirements which I can see (SUV, <32 lakhs, reasonably sized and ok with Harrier, I would suggest the following:
Although no hands on experience with either so you'll have to take a TD to figure it out for yourself and check our reviews for each of them.
We drove the T-roc, and while a wonderful car, it makes so much more sense to shell out the extra 4-5L which is the projected difference between that and the new Tiguan which is supposed to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinS View Post
After reading your dad’s requirements I would just suggest you one option -
Volkswagen Tiguan - this is gonna be the best mid size 5 seater suv under 35 lakh budget and will be launched in a few months most probably . All you need is ‘lots of patience’.
I agree, and i've been asking him to patiently wait for that, and every week he asks me is it launched? Yesterday we found out that it might just launch in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
My suggestions -

1. VW Tiguan - solid build, will give very different experience than Creta and will be fun to drive too.

2. XUV 700 - the undisguised pictures look great and it will come loaded with features and will fit in your budget nicely.
Any idea by when the 700 is going to be launched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Considering the budget and also considering if you're up for lightly used stuff (trust me, used market is a candy store but whatever you pick, take it to the authorised service centre for a full forensic report), I've got a few suggestions:

Used:
1) 320d/320i
2) Endeavour 2.0/3.2
3) 530d - a little tight but it will blow you away
4) Fortuner 2.8
5) Crysta 2.8 - bang for the buck

New:
1) Superb 2.0
2) Octavia 2.0
3) Crysta 2.4/2.7
4) Endeavour 2.0 (provided you can slap up your budget a bit)
Endevour guy was willing to provide it under 34L after some negotiations, but Dad doesn't really want such a heavy car. I've finally been able to convince him to check out the used car market, which he has been dead set against for years.

Now i've got a whole new avenue to check out for him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
Like many have echoed I’ll say wait it out for the next Tiguan. It should be launched in next 2 months.
If diesel is what you want, go for Innova.
Camry is very expensive right now (Just a shy of 50 lakh mark) and with an updated it might just cross that mark.
Yesterday's update with one of the dealers is that Tiguan will launch around January next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup_ View Post
I'd heavily recommend the Skoda Kodiaq if you can stretch a little and wait a little for the facelift to come in as well. One of my friends has the now-discontinued model, and I must say it is mighty impressive.

It seems like the perfect upgrade to a Creta owner who's looking at SUVs. It is sufficiently bigger to warrant the extra spending and justify the upgrade, it has the flexibility to accommodate more people when needed, and I think it looks stunning whilst still being relatively below-the-radar on the road. I must add, it has a magical ride, and it is loaded to the boot with features. It might end up being expensive considering how Skoda priced the Octavia but fingers crossed.
Kodiaq isn't slated to release till early next year according to the dealer with which i took the Superb and Octavia TD.. And I actually started looking at Skoda only because of Kodiq and Kushaq, and was bummed to find out both have been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
Since your Dad has Creta as his daily driver I won't recommend taking a jump to Fortuner or Endeavour.

Instead, if possible you should wait for VW Tiguan and the Skoda Kodiaq, Tiguan has been teased on the company website and will meet your needs to the T. While for Kodiaq you will need to wait a bit longer.

For a budget of 35 lakh, I won't suggest looking at a new German trio, if your Dad agrees you can hunt for a good Pre-worshipped one.
Yes i've been asking him to wait for the Tiguan but sadly, it seems it'll launch by January next year now.

But i've finally managed to convince him to take a look at the used car market so hopefully he likes something from that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post
Let him pick the car he likes. Just give inputs such as pros and cons so that he can take an informed decision!

I recollect reading the story of a fellow BHPian who influenced his father to pickup a practical Grand i10 instead of the car of his choice. Eventually his father lost interest in driving!

Just my two cents..
I agree.. That's why I told him that the final decision is his to be taken. I'll show and TD with him all the cars, give my inputs, but the final decision is his, and he can buy whichever car he likes the best since it is him who has to drive it daily, and not me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion hearted View Post
Surprised that your dad liked the Harrier...over his current Creta! While the Harrier is a stunner and drives well too, clearly from an 'overall' ownership perspective, isn't the Creta still ahead of the Harrier? I mean, things like fit and finish, quality of workmanship on the interiors, panel gaps, after sales, service and spares, long term ownership, possible rattling noises etc etc. On all the above, I would rate the Creta better than the Harrier (not so sure yet about the Safari).
Don't want to end in a situation where there is even a morsel of regret or unhappiness going forward.
Yep, which is why I wouldn't want him to get the harrier or safari, since safari also suffers from the same pain points as the harrier does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
For premium quality under 35 lacs i have four picks
1. Superb
2. Octavia
3. Jeep
4 T-roc

Pick anyone of these and you will not be disappointed.
Seems like it boils down to the first two choices or something from the used car segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
Having used a Creta for 6 years, it may be impractical for him to move into the sedan category. He may like the test drives but can regret the decision few months into the ownership. I would suggest you stick to an SUV as it gives a better driving position and overall better view of the road especially in Indian conditions. They also offer better interior space.

My suggestion would be a T-Roc/Tiguan in the <35L price range. They are cars with good features and have the German sturdiness to them. If you manage to stretch the budget then it's definitely the X1!
Tiguan is unfortunately going to be launched in January instead of this year so it's gonna be a long wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasZach View Post
The Tucson is already available in a completely revamped version in other markets now. Expect it to have an update soon
I've seen the images of the updated Tuscon and it looks great. But we never know when or even if it will be launched in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
For the aforesaid budget, you can look at the following options:

1. Brand New Ford Endeavour.
2. Brand New VW Taigun.
3. Per-owned Audi Q5.
4. Pre-owned BMW X3.
5. Per-owned Toyota Fortuner.
He's finally agreed to see the pre owned segment so now i've got quite a few options to choose from..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Since you had mentioned that you were looking for an Suv under the price segment 30-35 lakhs, i would like to suggest the Mahindra Alturas G4. You should definately give it a test drive. And not to forget the discounts that mahindra is offering, if you are lucky you could get the vehicle for around 30 lakhs. Considering the vehicle to the other one's in the competition it's worth a try. Now as you have mentioned about trying out a premium sedan i would like to suggest the Skoda Octavia. The driving experience that this offers is unmatched by any other car in this price segment.
Mahindra Alturas is something i've not looked at. Will def check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Why is nobody recommending MG Gloster? It totally matches or even exceeds the OP ask for ‘almost luxury’
He wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Dead set against not getting a car which is Chinese in origin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabarusMark View Post
I was looking to see if this got mentioned in this price bracket. The C5 does seem to be a very attractive option considering its a new car that is well reviewed abroad. The only thing that could probably sour the experience would be the ASS.

Considering it is under the Stellantis brand, I would assume Citroen will be using Jeep's service network in India and service costs should quite similar as well unless Citroen is using unique parts.
The bigger problem with Citroen would be if it pulls a peugeot and takes off after x number of years leaving everyone with a very expensive brick to service and repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I think we have started to miss the point, our advice is going practical, but what @jenil clearly wants is an emotional decision, he wants an entry to the luxury brands.

Clearly an entry to the epitome of luxury brands will not be possible in your budget, you are short by a good 10 lakhs. If you truly want to enjoy a Lux car, with your budget, you are a king in the pre owned market. You can get a proper pre owned luxury car under 3 years old, run less than 30k kms in your budget, and I'm not talking about the entry level cars of MB/BMW. You can get a mid level offering for what these brands are known for. You will get a 5 series, E class, A6, X3, Q5, GLC, Discovery Sport, Volvo XC60, S90. Or you can lap up a nearly new 3 series, C class, X1, GLA, XC40. And it is bliss to enjoy that, just the feeling of having saved 35-40% of the depreciation will give you the thrill.

But if you are hung up on brand new car, as hung up as your Dad on his budget, I don't see a satisfying end to the decision. You have to give up on at least one here. If I were you, I would take the pre owned route.

A lightly used luxury car is better than a brand new car in 30-35 lakhs budget, the quality, joy of driving and owning is of a different level, and I'm not even considering the snob value of these brands.

A luxury car is a luxury car, period.
I was trying to convince him to take a look at some of the pre owned cars, but he was against it..

Finally showed him this thread and he said fine lets take a look at some of those cars..

So thank you to all who suggested going the pre owned route.

I have a lot of options to check out now that he's willing to go that route.

Will update the post once a decision is reached.
jenil_295 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 13:28   #41
BHPian

I don't think Citroen will do what Peugeot did several years ago, simply put they started with a wrong partner in a very different era. Indian car market is not what it used to be then, there's a sea change. Citroen have just started in India, they will get their traction when they start production of C3, it's only a matter of time. Moreover, you said that the Creta has done 1 lakh kms in 6 years, which means, even if you use the C5 for 10 years you might do 2 lakh Kms, and their engine is good for beyond 2 lakh Kms. I don't see Citroen winding up in India, even if they do, it will take another 10 years. One thing most current buyers of new cars are not able to anticipate is that the EVs might be a majority in 10 years, so no matter what car you buy today, they will all end up being a film roll camera in the age of digital cameras 10 years down the line. So resale value is anybody's guess.

In your budget and requirements actually Tiguan and C5 make the most sense. I have seen the Allspace and C5, C5 is definitely better in quality, plus diesel. You are paying essentially 10 lakhs more than Harrier, and it is well worth the money. If you and your Dad have liked C5, you should seriously consider C5 if your Dad doesn't like anything in used cars.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 22:38   #42

Folks, I am in the same boat and have been mulling since a year on my next set of wheels. I do own a 2016 Scorpio S10 which has done a shade over a lakh kms and is still on pretty good shape. I haven't had to do anything major repair so far and the car should run fine for the next 2-3 years.y run is mostly in the city in traffic and few long drives in a year.i have been thinking of buying a used luxury car in the 35 lakh range any of the new cars in the same range aren't appealing to me. I feel harrier, safari are still in the scorpio league and not really an upgrade. Somehow not convinced to plonk 43 lakhs in fortuner. I was looking through a deal on which I am being offered a bmw 3 gt 330i msport 2020 model at 38 lakhs. It has 20 odd km on the odo and is in pristine condition. Need advice if it's the right price for it and what would be the cons of going ahead with a car like that?
Old 8th August 2021, 22:56   #43
BHPian

I believe it would be good to pen down the basic as well as the desired requirements for your dad, for his next car. Purely coming out of my experience - When it comes to driving, dads usually prefer to stay in their comfort zone and might prefer the same type or stance of vehicle; which in this case a compact SUV. Having driven a Creta for 5+ years, he might feel a little uncomfortable with the comparatively restricted view of the road ahead, in a Sedan. 7-seaters are out of question as these are not your preference anyways; thus, it rules out the Innova, Safari, XUV 5OO, XUV 7OO, in under 35 lacs bracket.

It might totally be worth exploring the lower models of the new Jeep Compass (2021). Many might argue that the higher spec variants are overpriced, but that is subject to opinions. Jeep offers pretty decent kit with its Sport and Longitude variants - Electronic Parking Brake, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Hill Start Assist, Frequency Selective Damping Suspension, Remote Keyless Entry, etc. Couple this with the solid build quality and good ride dynamics of the vehicle; this actually becomes a good proposition for your dad.
The face-lifted models look sharper and the interiors are also pretty good even for the Sport version; and depending on your budget, you can start looking variants till the Limited (O).

The only point which made me think twice before writing the above - is Jeep's roadmap in India. However, Jeep India plans to invest close to $250 million in India over the next few years and also has plans to bring in new models in the market. Further, I expect the newly formed Stellantis entity should also tilt things towards the positive side.

I agree on your point that a Tuscon will feel a slightly bigger Creta. I have an Elite i20 and a Creta in the house; one of my friend owns a Tuscon; and its pretty evident that all three are a result of almost similar design language. I am pretty sure a lot of folks (mostly non car guys) might even confuse that rear end of the Tuscon, for an Elite i20.

Keep us posted on the car that you finally close on.
Old 9th August 2021, 00:28   #44
BHPian

Wait a bit and you’ll be able to pick from the Karoq, Kodiaq and Tiguan. All great upgrades (of varying degrees) from the Creta. The Kodiaq for my money if they launch by Q3 as previously announced.
Old 9th August 2021, 19:37   #45
BHPian

I would recommend getting him a Harrier which he already likes. Yes, they have their own issues when it comes to customer relationships, but mechanically it's a solid car. And I still don't get why people pay 19-20 lakhs for a Creta when something like a Harrier is available in the same ballpark. And since you are already evaluating SKODAs, I don't think you are concerned about the A.S.S anyhow.

Happy hunting dear, get him the best one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks