Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 12:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Which car in the 'almost luxury' segment for 35-lakhs?

You have not specified the detailed requirements and priorities so I'm not sure anybody here will be able to guide you properly. That said, my suggestion would be a used Skoda Kodiaq or VW Tiguan diesel if you're open to considering pre owned options. Both are great cars at the price point and the diesel will have you covered since you have a high running.

Another offbeat option you should consider is an EV. The MG ZS EV as well as the Kona make for good cars for the daily commute if you have a regular IC car for those outstation trips. An added bonus is the very low service and running costs compared to the traditional options. I'd say try them once atleast before ruling them out
Old 5th August 2021, 15:51   #17
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma with a budget of 30 - 35L. I have test driven A4 and Q2. Q2 is superb to drive but is very compact and expensive with missing many features. If I decide to go for a sedan it will be Superb only. But I don't think I will buy a sedan because my family prefers crossovers because of the ease of getting in and out of the car.
Why don't you have a look at the Citroen C5 aircross as well. It is extremely well built, unique styling inside and outside, a very good diesel engine and automatic 8 speed torque converter. They may start offering discounts soon.

I am yet to drive the Skodas but I did have a look at the superb just before covid happened when I had booked Kodiaq and cancelled the booking due to the pandemic. Superb is a long car which your dad may not be comfortable driving in and around the city.

Since you are looking at luxury brands, did you have a look at the Mini Countryman. I don't know if they are offering any discounts on it but if there are discounts in the range of 7-8 L, it may fit in your budget.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:01   #18
BHPian

One can certainly check out the Superb or the upcoming Kodiaq, they certainly feel premium and it fits in with the ethos of Skoda trying to be upmarket. Skoda has also said that they will improve their after-sales service network, ideally eliminating all Skoda servicing nightmares. An Audi/Mercedes/BMW will be a nice pick but you will need to shell out some extra money for all those optional extras which are almost irresistible and ultimately the total cost will exceed your budget
GaryTSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 20:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Following are worth considering:

1. Tucson (preferably the next gen one if you can wait for it)

2. Superb Sportsline (the most VFM offering IMO) (or Octavia if you prefer the more compact offering. Will also allow you to go for the higher end L&K trim at the same price).

3. Tiguan (if it is launched within that budget - I’d imagine it should be around that mark)

I would broadly say stay away from the big three Germans in the 35 lakh price bracket. They offer way too little for that money and the comparable sub - luxury premium offerings like the ones listed above offer a lot more vehicle for your money in a fairly premium packaging and with great engines as well.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 22:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Agree with fellow BHPians that it should be your Dad who should finally pick the car he likes since it would be him who would be driving it. If he's set on the Harrier then it should be that. Best you can do is to list down the specific needs like already suggested.

Going by the requirements which I can see (SUV, <32 lakhs, reasonably sized and ok with Harrier, I would suggest the following:
Although no hands on experience with either so you'll have to take a TD to figure it out for yourself and check our reviews for each of them.
Old 5th August 2021, 22:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
How about GLA? It is expensive for what it offers but it seems like a wonderful upgrade from the Creta while still being compact! But discounts should be available. He might love it!
The new GLA seems to be a great compact SUV, however, the pricing starts from40L Ex showroom, and since it is a new car, they're not going to be offering many discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
My suggestion would be to define what you (or your dad in this case) wants in precise terms, rather than defining it as a "premium or luxury cars". I do not think there is any real meaning to the term premium or luxury in cars, and looking at such vague impressions often leads to more confusion for buyers.
I think the choices will emerge logically once you define what you want and in what order of priorities.
You're correct. His requirements are,
  1. Should be automatic
  2. Petrol or Diesel doesn't matter, although if given an option, he'd choose diesel
  3. Safety features like 6 airbags, ABS, Brake assist, Hill assist are a must.
  4. Cosmetic features like electronically adjustable driver seat, 360 degree camera, side sensors would be an added advantage, although, can live without almost all except the electric seat adjustment
  5. Size doesn't matter. His driving is mostly highway to highway, but space is a big factor. Should be able to acommodate 5 people easily since our family is 5 people.

Looking at all of this, it seems the most logical choice is either the Skoda Superb, Or the Tata Harrier/Safari, since Crysta is a 7 seater which he doesn't want, as is Fortuner and Endeavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I second what Dr.AD says above; please try defining what you need better and you will automatically be able to pick by yourself. Ask yourself what is luxury? Is it badge snob value? Is it space? Is it quality of leather? Is it convenience and a small footprint?
I'll ask him to atleast take a TD of the tuscon though if he does end up liking it and buying, and they come up with the next one in less than 6 month, i'm gonna blame you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
There could be various reasons, but IMHO, in a world of 35-40 lakh price range for luxury sedans, the Camry is possibly dealing with mainly 2 types of competition:
1. The "branded" competition - BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Mostly the pre-worshipped kind.
2. The "VFM" competition - Superb, Passat, Octavia (latest-gen)

So, the Camry has a lot of ground to cover here. And except for the "hybrid" sell, the Camry has probably nothing else to boast about. Well, maybe except Toyota's bullet proof reliability!

But in the same breath, I would also like to think that folks who end up buying the Camry eventually, will most probably live with this car till their tombstone.
I'll have to take a look at the workings of a hybrid car, but i'll be sure to take a test drive of the Camry if they have one in my city since i've yet to see one on the road anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
For someone who has driven SUVs till now, I am surprised that Crysta ZX AT is not in consideration. For me, it is the best new car one can buy now for less than 35 lakhs. It is a better SUV than Harrier and Safari. I consider it safer than Safari twins too since it has at least earned a safety rating in someplace in the world. If he has liked Safari twins, he will like Crysta too. And a Crysta definitely carries more snob value than a Tata in my opinion. But as a package, value for money proposition and assuming everything works as advertised, it is the Safari for me.
Crysta isn't a choice he prefers because he does not want a 7 seater car. In the same breath, he'll always choose the Harrier over the Safari because he feels having 2 child seats are useless and increases the size of the car, which i tried to explain him that a couple of 100 meters will not make any real world difference, but once he sets his mind, it is difficult to change it.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th August 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Thank You.
jenil_295 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 00:25   #22
BHPian

After reading your dad’s requirements I would just suggest you one option -
Volkswagen Tiguan - this is gonna be the best mid size 5 seater suv under 35 lakh budget and will be launched in a few months most probably . All you need is ‘lots of patience’.
vipinS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 08:36   #23
BHPian

My suggestions -

1. VW Tiguan - solid build, will give very different experience than Creta and will be fun to drive too.

2. XUV 700 - the undisguised pictures look great and it will come loaded with features and will fit in your budget nicely.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 08:39   #24
BHPian

Considering the budget and also considering if you're up for lightly used stuff (trust me, used market is a candy store but whatever you pick, take it to the authorised service centre for a full forensic report), I've got a few suggestions:

Used:
1) 320d/320i
2) Endeavour 2.0/3.2
3) 530d - a little tight but it will blow you away
4) Fortuner 2.8
5) Crysta 2.8 - bang for the buck

New:
1) Superb 2.0
2) Octavia 2.0
3) Crysta 2.4/2.7
4) Endeavour 2.0 (provided you can slap up your budget a bit)
Old 6th August 2021, 08:50   #25
BHPian

Like many have echoed I’ll say wait it out for the next Tiguan. It should be launched in next 2 months.
If diesel is what you want, go for Innova.
Camry is very expensive right now (Just a shy of 50 lakh mark) and with an updated it might just cross that mark.
Old 6th August 2021, 10:56   #26
BHPian

I'd heavily recommend the Skoda Kodiaq if you can stretch a little and wait a little for the facelift to come in as well. One of my friends has the now-discontinued model, and I must say it is mighty impressive.

It seems like the perfect upgrade to a Creta owner who's looking at SUVs. It is sufficiently bigger to warrant the extra spending and justify the upgrade, it has the flexibility to accommodate more people when needed, and I think it looks stunning whilst still being relatively below-the-radar on the road. I must add, it has a magical ride, and it is loaded to the boot with features. It might end up being expensive considering how Skoda priced the Octavia but fingers crossed.
Old 6th August 2021, 10:56   #27
BHPian

Since your Dad has Creta as his daily driver I won't recommend taking a jump to Fortuner or Endeavour.

Instead, if possible you should wait for VW Tiguan and the Skoda Kodiaq, Tiguan has been teased on the company website and will meet your needs to the T. While for Kodiaq you will need to wait a bit longer.

For a budget of 35 lakh, I won't suggest looking at a new German trio, if your Dad agrees you can hunt for a good Pre-worshipped one.
Old 6th August 2021, 11:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenil_295 View Post
But now he's willing to move towards a new car. A sort of a premium or Luxury car if you will.
By "new" do you mean brand new, or a "different" car?

The market has moved towards petrols, but bigger engines are fuel guzzlers. The 2 litre VW/Skodas : Octavia, Superb, Tiguan All Space fit the near-lux bill, but will be very expensive to run, 5-7kmpl in city driving.

For SUVs or larger sedans, look for diesel or hybrids. If he is ok with used car, a 2-3 yr old Kodiaq, Tiguan 2.0 TDI, or a Camry might fit the bill perfectly.
Old 6th August 2021, 11:47   #29
BHPian

Let him pick the car he likes. Just give inputs such as pros and cons so that he can take an informed decision!

I recollect reading the story of a fellow BHPian who influenced his father to pickup a practical Grand i10 instead of the car of his choice. Eventually his father lost interest in driving!

Just my two cents..
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:48   #30
BHPian

Surprised that your dad liked the Harrier...over his current Creta! While the Harrier is a stunner and drives well too, clearly from an 'overall' ownership perspective, isn't the Creta still ahead of the Harrier? I mean, things like fit and finish, quality of workmanship on the interiors, panel gaps, after sales, service and spares, long term ownership, possible rattling noises etc etc. On all the above, I would rate the Creta better than the Harrier (not so sure yet about the Safari).
Don't want to end in a situation where there is even a morsel of regret or unhappiness going forward.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks