View Poll Results: What should I buy?
2017 Toyota Corolla Altis GL Petrol Manual @ Rs. 14.5L 77 26.55%
New 5th gen Honda City 213 73.45%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 11:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Toyota Corolla Altis vs New 5th-gen Honda City

The City and the Corolla are both the dependable, practical, safe options of their respective segments. However, it is worth noting that the City seems to have grown up and has nearly moved up a segment. Looking at the price you're paying for a 4 year-old Corolla, I think the City makes for the better option here.

Based on a quick Internet search, the Corolla Altis GL has 2 airbags while the City has a minimum of 4, and also standard ESC. Besides, there are likely to be some advantages (in terms of features) of buying a car that was launched in 2020 compared to one effectively from 2014 (discounting the facelift). Both of them have similar engines though the Corolla's 1.8L has a superb low-end while the City enjoys the redline more. However, I'm struggling to find more points to differentiate the two.

The reason I'd lean towards the City is the price quoted for a 4 year-old Corolla. If you could find a good deal on a higher variant (with, say, 7 airbags and/or a CVT if you wish) then it would be justified.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:10   #17
BHPian

I am against the popular opinion of going with the Honda City.
Honda has really downgraded the ‘City’ value in terms of build quality. It feels like a verna to drive. (No offence to verna owners)
It’s a rev happy motor but the handling does not really let you feel confident.
I’d suggest go for the Altis however the price being asked is too high. I’d suggest look for VL model as it makes more sense at this price range
SShandilya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 14:26   #18
BHPian

I was in a similar dilemma way back in Dec 15, where I had the choice of the 4th generation City or a used previous generation but well maintained Corolla at pretty much the same price.

I opted for the top end City because I preferred the bells and whistles that the City offered viz. leather seats, sunroof, airbags etc. over the Corolla. I am about to reach 70k kms and the car has been an awesome companion. The only thing I do not like about it is the fact that you get thrown around a lot in the rear seat other than that just no complaints.

A close friend of mine picked up a used Corolla Altis over the City six months after me and he is pretty happy with his choice as well, the Altis is clearly a segment above and is more planted and has been an absolutely hassle free ownership experience for him as well. I have often traveled with him and the rear seat experience is far better than the 4th Gen City but it is a rather plain car (I haven't tried the 5th Gen City)

So i guess, it boils down to what you prefer both choices are good ones - there is a reason why Toyota cars command a premium in the used car market.
sunilrs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Hands down City!

Even though in my family circle we had almost all the generations of Corollas, I would still recommend you to go with the Honda City in this case for two main reasons:
  • One being the recommended Corolla is a Petrol MT
  • The second reason is that you can even get the 2021 V CVT under 15 lakhs which gives you the added comfort of Automatic.

If that is not a necessity, then you can pick the VX MT and enjoy the sweet 1.5L motor and stick shift.

Last edited by kamilharis : 13th April 2021 at 15:09.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Honda City in my opinion would always be better.
1) You are spending over 10 lac, and if you are buying a used car let it at least be a model that is currently under production.
2) Neither car will feel significantly different from each other in terms of every day usage. Atleast with the Honda, you get the mental satisfaction of a "new" car. If this were a duel between a Honda City and a BMW for 15 lac, then it would be a different ballgame.

Here is a question though. Should you really look at a (dwindling) sedan segment in these times?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Did not vote, as not a fan of the latest City and the price quoted for the Corolla is quite high.

For instance, these are the prices of pre facelift 2017 and post facelift Corolla in Mumbai, both top end automatics. I am sure the dealer will shave off further 1-1.5L in both cases, depending on your negotiation skills.

Pre Facelift- 12L

Post facelift-13.75L

I would suggest looking for a pre owned Camry, if you could manage with the dimensions. 2015-16 Camry's (especially petrol) are available at almost the same prices of Corolla's in Maharashtra, and do check the same in your state. You would be jumping atleast a couple of segments up, with regards to comfort, luxury, NVH, space, interior quality, ride and performance. You might receive a lesser Fuel Efficiency(petrol), but you would practically be saving ~3L beforehand, which should compensate. If you get a good hybrid model, then even the FE will be fantastic.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 15:36   #22
BHPian

Had the Corolla been more sensibly priced I would have suggested going for the Corolla. I think you still can find a good one around 8 lacs. Around that price it’s completely worth it. Anything more than that, it’s better to go for a new car.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:03   #23
BHPian

KISS

I believe if one is spending a million+ of hard earned money. You have to have assured peace of mind, warranty, a new car would also ensure minimal upkeep cost at least for 2-3 years sans the regular service. Add to it, better fuel efficiency, new car tech, better safety.
Ritzvxi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:27   #24
BHPian

Definitely go for the new City. It is not worth spending this much money for a used Corolla. Definitely overpriced. You will get almost all the features of that car in a new City. You can consider the Corolla if you get it for some thing between 10 and 11.
eyeman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:45   #25
BHPian

Voted for the Honda City.
Things working in favour of the City
1) Multi- requirement suiting engine
2)Brand new both in model year, and ownership
3) Better interiors, although I'm sure the Corilla's are long-lasting too
4) Packed with all the necessary goodies, and more.
SNOWY227 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:17   #26
BHPian

Voted for the 5th gen Honda City

The new City is a far more mature product than the previous generations. Much better and mature interiors added to a little extra leg room.
The new/reworked 1.5 l block from Honda is super fun especially in the manual trim. I have not driven the AT. Pick up the VX/ZX MT.

Also it does not make sense to put in that kind of money on a used Corolla. Looking at the age, I think the owner would have picked up the car for 17-18 lakhs max. Isn't it asking too much on a used Corolla however mint it might be ?
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 17:44   #27
sgm
BHPian

Corolla is price can come down to around 12L, else City

The following observations are based on my personal experience with the Altis and previous gen City. I have an Altis VL and my brother drives a manual City. From my limited expereince with Honda City under urban conditions, I have always liked Altis over City. In the same the my brother also has really liked my Altis, for both highway drives and in urban conditions. The size difference is not an issue as both differ by only about 15cm in length. I don't have any experience with 5th gen City and I understand that it is much nicer car. I think the price quoted is too high for a manual Corolla. For comparison, in 2019 @ 22K km when I tried selling my Altis VL (top end CVT, 2017 April facelifted model, 25L on-road), I got a quote of just 13.5L from the dealer, so didn't sell it finally. Now it is our garage queen after the Pandemic started. You need to get the price down by 2.5L at least.

I would rate as below
Suspension setup : Altis
NVH levels : Altis
Driving fun : City, a lighter car and more agile.
GC : Altis, it can even beat some UVs here. Altis suffers from big body roll due to really high GC and I really hate its high GC.
Boot space : Similar capabilities
Back seat : Altis
FE : City
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The Corolla is a brilliant chauffeur driven car.
The rear seats are comfy, loads of space, practical storage, good ground clearance, tough build (not as rattle prone), etc.

However when it comes to self driven, I found the steering a little heavy and dull, the touchscreen laggy, and NVH average, and interiors don't look or feel premium at all.

The city would be a little more rewarding to drive, and the interiors look more appealing.

Since you're open to pre-owned and will most likely be the one behind the wheel : look at the civic (albeit auto), and the Elantra as well.
May even be able to get a deal on a new lower trim Elantra since it's a slow moving product. Interiors are good, ride and handling is good, and the 2.0 petrol - not quick but a great cruiser.

If you're keen on exploring the Germans, wait a couple of months for the new Octavia to launch. This should see the prices of the current gen 1.4 TSi crash a bit, though it is a rare car and will not be as peaceful to own as the Japs/Koreans.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 19:05   #29
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Pls bargain hard & get the Corolla. Tried and tested globally to global standards. Honda city is tailored for SE Asian markets. Besides, Corolla is a size larger & more comfortable. I have nothing against Honda & if competition was Civic & Corolla, I'd say Civic but that's not the case here

Last edited by RJK : 13th April 2021 at 19:13.
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 19:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarath Shanoi View Post
Need help on buying my next car. I'm confused between a used corolla altis and brand new 5th gen city. I saw a used manual corolla altis 2017 GL petrol which has done around 17k km (first owner) on sale. 14.5 lakhs is the asking price. Can someone suggest me what will be a fair pair for that car in Kerala considering it has been discontinued by Toyota. Will it be more sensible to buy the new honda city over the altis?
Voted for the 5th Gen City.

When it's this close, nothing can beat a new car.
  • The 5th Gen City is now even bigger and almost close to the Altis in terms of length (4549mm vs 4620mm).
  • In terms of performance, the new DOHC engine is the city is way smoother and refined. Not to forget, the i-Vtec loves to be rev'd
  • City will also be a BS6 car vs. the Altis which is BS4
  • You can opt for the automatic variant in the City while Altis is manual

The only negative I can think about the City is Honda's fate in India. Honda is struggling globally and in India. The new City is slipping down the sales charts. Sold only 815 units in March vs. 2700 units of the Verna. Their only other product which does decent numbers is the Amaze. Not sure for how long they will be able to sustain operations in India with such dismal sales and limited product offering.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks