Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 17:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used 2012 Skoda Laura MT

I think the City is the Beater car in your garage (4 cars in Mumbai! How do you manage parking??)

Dont think a Laura can replace that, like to like.

Also, the city 3rd gen is a pretty decent car on performance. Why dont you try spicing it up?!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:03   #32
BHPian

Hi,

Owned a 2012 skoda laura and sold it last year, it had done 60k kms. The below was replaced in my car during my last year of ownership, most are wear and tear parts, if you are buying a preowned laura check the history if the same have been carried out on it. If not , as suggested by you keep at least a lakh for future non scheduled expenses.

List of works that might need to be carried out if not done already:
-Flywheel
-clutch slave cylinder
-Timing Belt and Water Pump
-Battery & Tyres
-Suspension Overhaul

Other than the above mentioned costs, I really would not suggest you to buy an 8 year old skoda, I have seen many Lauras come up with ECU issues post 8-9years of ownership but its pure luck. They can be repaired by an expert at around 30k but if it cant be repaired, then you are stuck because a new ECU costs 3.0L and that's more than value of the car.

Other than this look for a car that has complete service history and is well maintained. Get it checked by the authorised service centre before you put your money on it. My car got sold quick cause majority of the wear and tear parts were replaced by me, I had complete service history and the new owner didn't have to spend a penny!

Last edited by Y@SH : 14th January 2021 at 18:09.
Y@SH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:10   #33
BHPian

I don't think replacing City with Laura is a good proposition that too with a 9 year old one.
As 2000rpm said, it would be better spicing the car up, try some mods or look for performance enhancement on it if you want some more fun out of it.

If you still feel you want the car, please get it thoroughly checked at the service centre and get hold of the history of the car, what all has been replaced till date and what is or may be required in the near future and then make an informed decision.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 21:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think the City is the Beater car in your garage (4 cars in Mumbai! How do you manage parking??)

Dont think a Laura can replace that, like to like.

Also, the city 3rd gen is a pretty decent car on performance. Why dont you try spicing it up?!
Yes the city is the beater car, but i have gotten too bored of it.

I am fortunate to have a big enclosed garage which can house 3 cars and 1 open parking in the building. The garage is sure an envy of someone's Merc S350 that is parked in the open and have been offered so many times to sell
We always refuse thinking cannot yet afford an S class so might as well own an envious covered garage.
SN88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 22:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Hi,

Owned a 2012 skoda laura and sold it last year, it had done 60k kms. The below was replaced in my car during my last year of ownership, most are wear and tear parts, if you are buying a preowned laura check the history if the same have been carried out on it. If not , as suggested by you keep at least a lakh for future non scheduled expenses.

List of works that might need to be carried out if not done already:
-Flywheel
-clutch slave cylinder
-Timing Belt and Water Pump
-Battery & Tyres
-Suspension Overhaul

Other than the above mentioned costs, I really would not suggest you to buy an 8 year old skoda, I have seen many Lauras come up with ECU issues post 8-9years of ownership but its pure luck. They can be repaired by an expert at around 30k but if it cant be repaired, then you are stuck because a new ECU costs 3.0L and that's more than value of the car.

Other than this look for a car that has complete service history and is well maintained. Get it checked by the authorised service centre before you put your money on it. My car got sold quick cause majority of the wear and tear parts were replaced by me, I had complete service history and the new owner didn't have to spend a penny!
Oh no!! That is not nice to hear about the ecu issues, and something complicated as that especially which a regular garage would not be able to resolve i would want to avoid the stress!!
Old 14th January 2021, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
I don't think replacing City with Laura is a good proposition that too with a 9 year old one.
As 2000rpm said, it would be better spicing the car up, try some mods or look for performance enhancement on it if you want some more fun out of it.

If you still feel you want the car, please get it thoroughly checked at the service centre and get hold of the history of the car, what all has been replaced till date and what is or may be required in the near future and then make an informed decision.
I did think about the mods and honestly i have our chevy Uva that is slightly modded with free flow exhaust, CAI, throttle body enlargement, iridium spark plugs and a good set of upsized tyres. Though i enjoy it but i would not want to drive a loud modded car as a daily drive.
Old 15th January 2021, 10:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
i would not want to drive a loud modded car as a daily drive.
Why not try just a remap, get the interiors overhauled and get it detailed?
Mods can also be subtle in nature that can increase the keeping quotient of the car.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 10:40   #38
BHPian

Re: Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?

Update, a happy one:

I had finalized on the Etios, however the seller changed his mind and wanted to hold on to the car for a few months more till he sorted out his financials for a new car purchase.

It was a mild disappointment but then we moved on and even checked some new models, but the lack of space was always a bother.

Luckily, in couple of weeks, things fell in place for the seller and he booked a new car and the Etios was then available!

We bought her home last Sunday and hoping it turns out to be a reliable partner.

I have driven her a few times for short distances and the steering is such a joy to hold. The person who designed it knew his / her job and did it exceedingly well. It has just the right thickness and contours.

The engine seems a bit buzzy. I will be getting a full service done shortly.

I would like to thank everyone who advised me on this thread and a special mention to Samba whose ownership thread is a great help to other owners.

Here's a picture of her:
Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-20210225_180751.jpg
trek is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 22:34   #39
BHPian

If everything seems right then I don't see any problem in getting a beautiful car like Etios. Last month, I bought a 2010 Swift Vxi 1.2 Kseries as 2nd car and I must say car is in super tight condition with no immediate expenses needed at least for another 40k Kms. I've spent some Rs. 5500 on the basic service (just for my peace of mind) and the car is ready for Mega Indian roadtrip. Sharing some pictures of my pre-owned ride, and trust me I'm more happy with this ride than our newly acquired 2020 Dzire Zxi AMT.

Price paid- Rs. 1,65,000
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-save_20210610_223138.jpg  

Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-save_20210610_223115.jpg  

Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-save_20210610_223156.jpg  

Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-save_20210610_223040.jpg  

Buying a 9-year old car in India - worth it?-save_20210610_223018.jpg  

Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
If everything seems right then I don't see any problem in getting a beautiful car like Etios. Last month, I bought a 2010 Swift Vxi 1.2 Kseries as 2nd car
Sir, you swift doesn't have the 1.2L K12 motor but the 1.3L G13B motor from the G series of engines
Old 12th June 2021, 15:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Sir, you Swift doesn't have the 1.2L K12 motor but the 1.3L G13B motor from the G series of engines
This one is the 2010 model of 1st generation swift, which came with K- series engines, after implementation of BS4 norms (RC confirms the same). This particular model was sold from March 2010 to 2011 (till the launch of 2nd generation Swift)
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post

The engine seems a bit buzzy. I will be getting a full service done shortly.
In general, the petrol engines of ETIOS are a bit noisy compared to competition. So, nothing to worry about. But, to your satisfaction get the vehicle serviced at a Toyota Service center and request the SA to check the brake pads & Wiper Blade.

Incidentally, I do own a July 2011 Etios Liva with 92K on the ODO. Changed the brake pads voluntarily during last service. Never thought I would keep the car for almost 10 years. Just waiting for a new true Toyota product to upgrade.

All the best. Drive Safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks