Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2006, 16:35   #1
BHPian

Wait for New Baleno or Buy Old ? Confused

Hello everyone,

This is my first post though I have been an avid reader for the past one month or so and have a query like most of the car buyers.

I am planning to buy a new car for myself , usage will be approx 750 - 1000 kms p.m, most of the driving will be within delhi and occasional highway travel (not more than once in a month). My budget is around 6L.

I was quite inclined to go for OMB Vxi and came to know of the impending launch of the NMB by Jan/Feb'07 with improvements on the features and the looks department and hence delayed the decision.

I have read thru the opinion and ACI articles on the new baleno and feel that if Maruti price it too close to NHC, they won't be able to sell it much and expect them to price it close to the existing pricing but I am quite surprised (read disturbed) on reading in TOI today that they maybe pricing it around 8L ?

So, I would like you guys advice on OMB, I don't think it makes sense to buy it now that the model is being discontinued and the support alongwith cost/availability of parts will slowly stop. and I have also heard that the OMB parts are priced very high, do you think it make sense to go for OMB (Good Discounts should be available now !!)

I think , if NMB is priced close to 7L, the NHC with the honda brand/reliability & image will effect its sales and I might go in for NHC too.
what do you experts advise?

Shanky
Old 26th December 2006, 20:16   #2
BHPian

I was in the Maruthi Showroom in Chennai I was talking to this sales person (a lady) enquring about the Baleno (now on sale- LXI and VXI).
I also enquired about the new Baleno and she told me the New Baleno is initially coming out only in the Diesel version. Not sure how far it is true.
Old 26th December 2006, 21:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ew-baleno.html

abt new baleno
Old 27th December 2006, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

The NMB will surely cost you quite a bit more than the OMB.
If you are willing to shell out 7/8 lakhs , then you'll need to start your hunt from scratch as there's quite a few other options at that price range.

If you must stick to the 6L range, then go for the OMB right now (stocks are reportedly running out fast) .. or wait for the Mahindra Renault Logan ..
Old 27th December 2006, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Do you reallu think Maruti will price the NMB in the 7-8 Lacs range? I am apprehensive to buy the OMB now as the spares availability and cost of maintenance will be high for the discontinued model. A friend is telling that the availability/cost of parts in the market is low even today and since the model is being discontinued , the cost/availability & maintenance will be a problem too.
Old 5th January 2007, 14:40   #6
BHPian

I just bought a Old Baleno and I am happy with the choice. One car magazine stated that New Baleno is likely to carry the engine of the current (old) Baleno. Apparently, this is to keep the Cost / Price down. If that is true, you might as well buy the old Baleno and need not worry maintenance. In any case, New Baleno will be priced around 7 Lakhs.

I seriously doubt if New Baleno will be launched with Diesel engine. Maruti's New Diesel Plant is not up and running at present. In any case, they will take Diesel Engine to their fast moving cars first.

Old Baleno is also disappearing fast. May be wait for Logan from Mahindra.
Old 5th January 2007, 14:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !
Enjoy driving !!
Old 7th January 2007, 15:31   #8
BHPian

Hi Shankz, Had the same predicament a couple of months ago.... Had a thread on this too http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-relaunch.html.

I went ahead and bought the OMB I am extremly satisfied with my decision. The NMB will be with the following:
1. Will be placed in corolla segment roughly 7 to 8 L.
2. If the pice has a substantial increase I presume in conradiction to the belif that the engien will be a newer and better one...
3. The launch period is far away maybe the end of 3rd quarter of '07 since we are awaiting launch of the Swift Disel.
4. Its a Maruti spares and servicing should not be a problem in future, Spares should not go very expensive and the expertise will remain.

However the new always change the old and starts a new benchmark..

Cheers and best fo luck with the decision
Old 7th January 2007, 16:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

GUYS....

i went to the showroom to check out offers on the baleno...

the on road price here is 6,13,766 for the LXi- 50,000 off- 10,000 upgradation bonus+ accessories free+ Extended warranty... Which kinda brings it near to 5.5L... A steal, i would say, at 20k more than esteem...

Only drawback being the looks, and the replacement too close...
Old 8th January 2007, 00:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A very similar conversation is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-relaunch.html
Old 8th January 2007, 01:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would say please refrain from saving a lakh upfront to buy a soon to be discontinued model for the next 5 years..... Unless you like vintage
Old 8th January 2007, 08:56   #12
BHPian

Once the Old Baleno exits, not many Sedan's will be left in Sub 6L except for Esteem and Ikon Flair. Old Baleno is good value for money for the goodies you get. May be look at Fiesta 1.4. Post Discount, you will get it just above 6L.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Subbu has touched the point already, apparently the new Baleno may be a segment above the old one in terms of pricing. Have you budgeted for it already. Seems like the new will cost at least close to 2 L more than the present one.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would call up (or better still - go to a dealership) and tell them I need to buy a C+ segment car in the next 2 months or so and was enquiring if the Baleno will be launched soon . Show them a lot of interested in it. Tell them you will buy the Fiesta or Verna if the wait is longer than 3 months.. If they do have visibility, I am positive they will give you a lead or two.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

similar thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-relaunch.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks