Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
The Fusion is about as much American as the Maruti 800! The Fusion is a product of Ford, Europe & is not sold in America. Ford, USA has absolutely no role in manufacturing or development of the car.
Honda city as far as I know is not a Japanese specific model and is made in India. we still call it Japanese. I think its a thaiMalaysia based car, Correct me if I am wrong.

The same rule applies to ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor
This is not correct, I own a BS-III Invecs purchased in Mar-Apr 06.
I was asking a question only. But thanks for letting the buyer know the right information. why dont you give him a detailed description of your user report?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd October 2006 at 08:25.
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Honda city as far as I know is not a Japanese specific model and is made in India. we still call it Japanese. I think its a thaiMalaysia based car, Correct me if I am wrong.

The same rule applies to ford.
True, but the scenario is a little different. The Honda City (OHC) was based on the 6th generation Civic platform using cheaper/mass produced components to keep the car cost down as it was a model targeted at developing Asian markets. It was manufactured out of Thailand & the kits were shipped to India where it was assembled with some indigenous components added on. In any case it's based on a platform developed & sold in Japan albeit not currently so.

As for the NHC this car is sold world-wide including Europe (as the Jazz in hatchback form) & USA (as the Fit in again hatchback form) so should I also not refer to it as a Japanese car?

I mentioned about the Fusion because Ford Europe & USA are two completely independent operations with seperate R&D, manufacturing plants etc. The product ranges are completely different too for eg. the F-150 which is the biggest selling automobile in USA is not sold in Europe, similarly the Transit van which is hugely popular in Europe is not sold in the USA.

Now if the car has no parts from the US, no developmental help from the US & is not manufactured in the US, how can it be an American car? So, would I call the F-150 truck an American automobile? Yes. Would I call the Fusion/Mondeo American cars? No.

Companies like GM, Ford, Toyota are now no longer American or Japanese but MNC's. IMO it is incorrect to term them as country specific since they have manufacturing/R&D/design facilities in various countries and are no longer concentrated in one country/region/continent. Some people might like to refer to them as American brands but in the current scenario that is no longer correct.

You don't call Nike/Reebok american shoes do you? Or McDonalds american burgers?

Last edited by iraghava : 3rd October 2006 at 16:44.
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooshnark
PS: pls do not suggest diesel variants as i like only Elantra crdi and its off my budget.
Verna has almost same specs as elantra and would just come in your budget, right???

Why not give it a try???
Old 3rd October 2006, 20:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
True, but the scenario is a little different. The Honda City (OHC) was based on the 6th generation Civic platform using cheaper/mass produced components to keep the car cost down as it was a model targeted at developing Asian markets. It was manufactured out of Thailand & the kits were shipped to India where it was assembled with some indigenous components added on. In any case it's based on a platform developed & sold in Japan albeit not currently so.

As for the NHC this car is sold world-wide including Europe (as the Jazz in hatchback form) & USA (as the Fit in again hatchback form) so should I also not refer to it as a Japanese car?

I mentioned about the Fusion because Ford Europe & USA are two completely independent operations with seperate R&D, manufacturing plants etc. The product ranges are completely different too for eg. the F-150 which is the biggest selling automobile in USA is not sold in Europe, similarly the Transit van which is hugely popular in Europe is not sold in the USA.

Now if the car has no parts from the US, no developmental help from the US & is not manufactured in the US, how can it be an American car? So, would I call the F-150 truck an American automobile? Yes. Would I call the Fusion/Mondeo American cars? No.

Companies like GM, Ford, Toyota are now no longer American or Japanese but MNC's. IMO it is incorrect to term them as country specific since they have manufacturing/R&D/design facilities in various countries and are no longer concentrated in one country/region/continent. Some people might like to refer to them as American brands but in the current scenario that is no longer correct.

you forgot to add Honda to the last paragraph.

The European Ford Fusion is based on the ford fiesta platform which actually did sell in US for a limited time.

And while GM, Ford Toyota, Honda etc are MNC's They are still traditional in the roots. GM, FORD are still called the big Three from Detroit and Toyota and Honda are still known for their Jap engines. That's what I am talking about.

so I guess we should stick to our own opinions.

back to the topic. It all depends on what the buyer has found out after the test-drive of the three vehicles.
Old 17th June 2014, 00:30   #20

Re: ford fusion v/s old honda city v/s Lancer 1.8 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
This is not correct, I own a BS-III Invecs purchased in Mar-Apr 06.
Hi Rishi. Do you still have the invecs? How's the maintenance cost and FE since you bought it?

Thanks.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:47   #21
BHPian

Re: ford fusion v/s old honda city v/s Lancer 1.8 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitzombie View Post
Hi Rishi. Do you still have the invecs? How's the maintenance cost and FE since you bought it?

Thanks.
Hi twilitzombie, I sold it 4 years ago. I still miss it, it was a very good car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks