Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2015, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post

1. Mitsu Lancer GLXD, 1999 Model, run 80,000km so far. ..... The guy is quoting 1.6L for it...
1.6 lac for a 99 Lancer is extreme optimism by the owner!!

If you're alright with driving around and maintaining this particular Lancer, try to acquire it at 40-50k. Drive it till it breaks, and sell off as scrap for 25-30k. You won't be losing too much and you get to change your car sooner!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 19:44   #17
BHPian

Re: Used Lancer or Elantra?

I have only two cars coming up.

A palio S10 and a Fiesta 1.6. However, find a well maintained S10 will be a wild goose chase but nothing like it if you get one.

Fiesta 1.6 ticks all the boxes. Good luck !
Old 26th March 2015, 20:02   #18
BHPian

I think the best options have already been listed. I think you are looking for sedan, something big, something with an 'image'. I do love the lancer ( never owned one, my love is purely because of computer games and rally coverage on tv). If I were to be in your shoes with my wallet I would go for a fiesta. I know its not as big as an elantra. But Im sure it wont burn a bigger hole than the other two.

If you want bigger, then it has to be the corolla. Thats all I can think of! All the best!
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 20:16   #19
BHPian

@OP: I picked up a 2006 Elantra Petrol GLS 2.5 years ago and haven't spent anything much on maintenance. Quite a bit on mods though!!

It is extremely reliable, fast and built like a tank. The parts seem not 'India-built' and go on and on. The big Hyundai ASS in Bangalore stock parts for it, or they order them from Chennai. Advaith MOBIS also stocks readily available crucial parts.

Of course, you mention fuel efficiency as an important aspect. It gives me a low of 8-9 in the city, but also gives a high of 17+ on the highway. I usually do Bangalore-Hyderabad on a single full tank. Re-sale will also not be good.
Old 26th March 2015, 23:53   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys,

I test drove a 2004, diesel Elantra today, it has run about 1,00,000 km. The car is in pretty good shape from the outside, and interiors are fine too. tyres need to be changed but everything else looks good.

One thing stood out like a sore thumb, The engine was sluggish in traffic, atleast till it hit the 2000rpm, is that a bad sign? The owner said he has driven it a lot on the highway, I'm assuming he's ripped it at high speeds at tandem.

He's asking 2.5L, may break for 2.3, is it a good deal? Will be test driving a petrol elantra on saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Rogue, A 16 year old Lancer at 1.6 lacs(that too driven for 80K) is a strict no no. A friend of mine sold his decently maintained "Red" Lancer -2001 model, driven for 65K for a modest Rs. 70K.

1) SX4(2006)-VXi/ZXi
2) Toyota Corolla(2005)
3) Hyundai Verna(2005/06)
4) Esteem(2005)-You will get in Rs. 1.5 lac and below
5) Ford Fiesta(2006/07)-1.6. A gem of an engine and a hoot to drive
The ford is not on my list for reasons listed below in the thread, I will look into the sx4 and corolla. My friend, the asking price of 99/2000 model lancers are 1.5 and above, 2005 model vehicles are around 3.5 lakhs, I don't know which city you live in, but most of the vehicles you have listed out are much higher than 2.5L in Bangalore. But, I shall keep looking just in case I get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
best way to modify the indian lancer is to go DOHC and then a FFE and CAI and most importantly a FPR, these mods will bump the power to the 130 BHP range in the NA form,
Things to look for in an old lancer, 1999 model would have issues with the fitness, check if the papers are current, restest work can cause a serious dent. Operate each switch and check If they work. Lift the carpets to see any signs of rust. look for Accident damage repairs, Looks for wiring loom splices. Look at the interiors and paint quality, Check the engine for any unwanted noise, The clutch needs to be inspected thoroughly, stop the car pull the hand brake and slot it into the second gear and release the clutch slowly and see if the engine struggles to die, Check the AC for cooling especially at idling, check if the battery is reasonably new, Check tyres for uneven wear, check for hardness of the rubber. Drive it fast and brake to see if it pulls to any side, check for any unwanted noise from the suspension.

If I was you I would look for newer models, the 1999 lancer you have looked at is priced excessively high, it should have been priced below 1 lac in mint condition, trust me though a great car it does not have many takers. Spares are available now but soon they will not be available. If you know, mitsu is exiting global sedan market so spares would become a big challange. Think how long you want to keep this car, if you wanna keep it for long then the idea is to buy cheap, hit him with a 85K offer, if he bites(which most likely he will) great. Spend 30-40k to bring it in tip top mechanically, then plan cosmetic mods. Spend another 30-40k but think of all this going down the drain as you can never recover this cost unless you intend to keep the car for another 5-8 years
Thanks for the detailed post pramod, is Dohc a petrol engine? any idea how much it will cost to procure, install? Also, I am trying to quote a lower price, the guy seems to be pretty confident of selling his car, he is not budging below 1.5. And thanks for the tips on checking the second hand car, very informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
note that the initial lifetime tax that is paid is valid for 15 years and the tax needs to be paid again for every 5 years. the plans to install gas kit and adding mods seem to be conflicting each other. If you are referring to performance modifications, then the gains out of mods would be suppressed by the loss of performance by the gas kit..
I want to fit a sequential cng kit if I buy a petrol vehicle, to compensate for mileage dip, what exactly do you mean when you say the mod gains will be suppressed on cng?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
1.6 lac for a 99 Lancer is extreme optimism by the owner. If you're alright with driving around and maintaining this particular Lancer, try to acquire it at 40-50k. Drive it till it breaks, and sell off as scrap for 25-30k. You won't be losing too much and you get to change your car sooner!!
You must be joking, I was having difficulty bringing down the price to even 1.5lakhs, he may want to give me a tight slap if I quote 50k for his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
@OP: I picked up a 2006 Elantra Petrol GLS 2.5 years ago and haven't spent anything much on maintenance. Quite a bit on mods though. you mention fuel efficiency as an important aspect. It gives me a low of 8-9 in the city, but also gives a high of 17+ on the highway. I usually do Bangalore-Hyderabad on a single full tank. Re-sale will also not be good.
9-17 is a huge difference in the mileage of your car, I am scheduled to test drive an elantra 2004, petrol on saturday. I hope it's as good as yours.
Old 27th March 2015, 08:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to fit a sequential cng kit if I buy a petrol vehicle, to compensate for mileage dip, what exactly do you mean when you say the mod gains will be suppressed on cng?
Performance while on LPG/CNG is less than what you get with the original petrol engine. So the baseline performance while installing the mods would be proportionately lower with the gas kit and a stage 1 mod might only bring the performance on par with the petrol performance. This performance gap is more evident in the conventional kits and the gap has been reduced with the sequential kits which are much more costlier.

From what I recollect, a sequential kit installation can cost in the range of 50k while the regular gas kit starts from around 20-25k. Given your annual running, it would take a while before you even recover the initial investment on your gas kit with lower fuel prices. Even after the conversion, you still need to pay for the CNG, which is probably around Rs. 25 cheaper than petrol. It would take you at least a couple of years even to break even the initial investment for the kit.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd always wanted to own a lancer and hence am a little biased in its favour
RogueRider mate as a fellow Mitsubishi Lancer owner I would like to help you with your decision. I own a Lancer SLXi 2004 Petrol Model which I bought in 2012 after bidding goodbye to my used Opel Astra which I used for close to 8 years. By now you will know that I choose a driver's car which is engaging at the same time gives you that feel while driving it everytime. If you are hellbent on the Lancer then there's one more car in Mitsubishi's stable called the Cedia. The cedia is actually called Lancer in markets abroad. Cedia is a beautiful car and has a stonker of a 2.0 litre petrol engine belting out 115 horses. You can buy one given your budget. But as many others have posted and as GTO has aptly put you can look for some other options within this range that are newer cars and have easy availability of spares and service. Touchwood I have not found any major issues in my Lancer and have always managed to procure the spares as I stay in Bombay.

The two cars that come to my mind are Toyota Corolla and Honda City of the years 2006-2008. These two are very competitive cars and will give you peace of mind when it comes to spares and service. Buy a used Lancer only if you want to keep it for more than 6 to 7 years as it has really poor resale value and the money you spend on a used car will not be recovered while reselling. So better use it for 6-7 years and then sell it off for whatever you get. Believe me bro its been roughly three years since I bought my used Lancer and it has not given me any major issues so far.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:

You must be joking, I was having difficulty bringing down the price to even 1.5lakhs, he may want to give me a tight slap if I quote 50k for his car.
I found 4 Lancers priced at 1.5L or below on OLX in Bangalore:

http://olx.in/bangalore/q-mitsubishi...at_price%3Aasc

These are just asking prices, if you bargain it will be definitely be lower.

Bangalore Used car market is crazy, in Delhi 5 Lancers are listed on OLX with minumum asking price 40k and max 1L

http://olx.in/stateofdelhi/cars/q-mi...at_price%3Aasc

Maybe you should just buy one from somewhere else and get it re-registered.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Why don't you consider the Optra Magnum Diesel? Petrol Optra's come dirt cheap too! You should get a good 2007-2008 Magnum Diesel for 2.2 - 2.5 lacs. Petrol versions from the 2004 - 2006 batch will be in the 1.2 - 1.7 range. I strongly suggest you consider this above the lancer or elantra.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys,

The ford is not on my list for reasons listed below in the thread, I will look into the sx4 and corolla. My friend, the asking price of 99/2000 model lancers are 1.5 and above, 2005 model vehicles are around 3.5 lakhs, I don't know which city you live in, but most of the vehicles you have listed out are much higher than 2.5L in Bangalore. But, I shall keep looking just in case I get lucky.

Dear Rogue

I stay in Mumbai and the rates are pretty much in the same level that I mentioned in the post.

Refer to the below Image for reference or click the link:

Used Lancer or Elantra?-untitled.jpg

Regards
Arnab
Old 28th March 2015, 19:49   #26
BHPian

Almost finalized on a diesel elantra, 2004 model.

Vehicle has great interiors, exterior also unblemished but in need of some polish/rubbing. Two issues:

Firstly, tyres are bald, this is a simple issue and I don't mind buying new tyres as soon as I get the car. Secondly, There is hardly any acceleration below 2000 rpm, it pulls like an old indica, is this normal? could it be solved by cleaning the turbo and injectors? I'm worried it might be something serious, there is no knocking or vibrations, once the car crosses 2000rpm it comes back to life and is brisk.

Owner has quoted 2.5L and is willing to come down to 2.3L, do you guys think this is a good deal? Let me know, I need to make a decision by monday.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I found 4 Lancers priced at 1.5L or below on OLX in Bangalore:

http://olx.in/bangalore/q-mitsubishi...at_price%3Aasc

These are just asking prices, if you bargain it will be definitely be lower.
Used car prices are in Bangalore are ridiculous, these cars in the ad with that price, you wouldn't even touch it if you see them in person. For 2000-2002 Lancer in a respectable condition in Bangalore, you have to shell out atleast 1.25 Lakhs if you are lucky. The latest Lancer I went and checked for myself was a 2000 model and the seller wasn't ready to go below 1.6 L.

Quote:
Almost finalized on a diesel elantra, 2004 model.

Vehicle has great interiors, exterior also unblemished but in need of some polish/rubbing. Two issues:

Firstly, tyres are bald, this is a simple issue and I don't mind buying new tyres as soon as I get the car. Secondly, There is hardly any acceleration below 2000 rpm, it pulls like an old indica, is this normal? could it be solved by cleaning the turbo and injectors? I'm worried it might be something serious, there is no knocking or vibrations, once the car crosses 2000rpm it comes back to life and is brisk.

Owner has quoted 2.5L and is willing to come down to 2.3L, do you guys think this is a good deal? Let me know, I need to make a decision by monday.
I am almost in the same boat as you are in and I am in Bangalore. Looking for a Lancer (petrol) or a Type 2 Honda City 1.5. Just that my budget is <2 L. Agreed with you 100% regarding the used cars prices in Bangalore. Not sure whether you bought the car already, but considering its Bangalore, the price is good. I have heard mixed reviews about the Elantra diesel. Some say that engine will go on forever and some say it won't last for more than 1.5 L.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Used car prices are in Bangalore are ridiculous, these cars in the ad with that price, you wouldn't even touch it if you see them in person. For 2000-2002 Lancer in a respectable condition in Bangalore, you have to shell out atleast 1.25 Lakhs if you are lucky. The latest Lancer I went and checked for myself was a 2000 model and the seller wasn't ready to go below 1.6 L.
I am almost in the same boat as you are in and I am in Bangalore. Looking for a Lancer (petrol) or a Type 2 Honda City 1.5. Just that my budget is <2 L. Agreed with you 100% regarding the used cars prices in Bangalore. Not sure whether you bought the car already, but considering its Bangalore, the price is good. I have heard mixed reviews about the Elantra diesel. Some say that engine will go on forever and some say it won't last for more than 1.5 L.
I'm back on the hunt dude, I bought a used ford Ikon 2009 model 1.4 tdci engine, unfortunately the car had major issues which the dealer knew about but didn't reveal to me. I bought it for 1.85L, spent 50k doing it up and sold it for 2.5L today. I'm back on the hunt for a good car under 3L.
Old 21st May 2015, 21:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I'm back on the hunt dude, I bought a used ford Ikon 2009 model 1.4 tdci engine, unfortunately the car had major issues which the dealer knew about but didn't reveal to me. I bought it for 1.85L, spent 50k doing it up and sold it for 2.5L today. I'm back on the hunt for a good car under 3L.

Exactly why I avoided dealers during the hunt. The 3-4 dealers I spoke with, I felt like they were all lying about one thing or the other. Anyways, I was able to find a well maintained Honda City Type 2 (1.5 Exi) with complete service records and single owner. In love with it . (A thread coming up soon).

If you are still looking for a Lancer, I know of a 2001 model SFXi near Hebbal. I haven't seen the car in person yet, but looks okay in the pictures and owner says its maintained well. The owner is currently in Mysore for his business stuff. Let me know if you would like his contact number.

And there is also an Elantra in our classifieds.
Old 21st May 2015, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Having used the lancer for over 4 years now, i can vouch for its relaibility. Its a no nonsense car and can last really long with a little care. You can get good lancers around your budget

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks