Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Honda City 1999-2003... worth buying?

friends,

i would like to buy a refurbished old Honda City (1999-2003) from autoterrace (pre-owned cars division of honda india).

specifically the 1.5 Exi

is it worth getting one that has clocked 50000 on the odo.

im buying it for the simple passion of honda and the specs of the machine as a whole.

just let me know if i can let my heart rule my head in deciding for a 2nd hand, 5 year old honda city?

(assume, that i'm aware of the tech specs of a vehicle and can do more than the basic checks for rating a car)

pls help me decide, as i'm not buying the honda with a deep pocket, but with a heart for the machine.

anto
Old 21st April 2006, 19:35   #2
BHPian

Quote:
honda engines are not known to have any problems even after 100k or 200k kms on the odo - so you still have loads of driving left on the car ..

though you may want to check the condition of the car and price before going further .. also check for accident history

Quote:
im buying it for the simple passion of honda and the specs of the machine as a whole.

pls help me decide, as i'm not buying the honda with a deep pocket, but with a heart for the machine.
seems like you have fallen in love with the OHC, just like a whole lot of us - dont worry, she will definitely not let you down
Old 21st April 2006, 20:08   #3
BHPian

Even i was thinking buying honda city year 1999 but then saw maruti baleno lxi 2003 both done 50000 km approx . Now i am thinking which car to buy i am confuse.
Old 21st April 2006, 20:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool
Even i was thinking buying honda city year 1999 but then saw maruti baleno lxi 2003 both done 50000 km approx . Now i am thinking which car to buy i am confuse.
Is it a Honda City 1.3 or 1.5??? Anyways, i would suggest you the Baleno in your case coz the Baleno is almost 4 years younger than the Honda City which you have mentioned.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Is it a Honda City 1.3 or 1.5??? Anyways, i would suggest you the Baleno in your case coz the Baleno is almost 4 years younger than the Honda City which you have mentioned.

Cheers

Thanks bubby but which one is easy to maintain in terms of cost. As my daily drive is abt 60-80km.

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like you are passionate about the City.
Ask yourself 2 Q's:

1. After buying the Baleno, would you still drool and fret whenever you spot someone driving an OHC ?

2. After buying the OHC, would you still drool and fret whenever you spot someone driving a Baleno ?

That should help you decide. If you are passionate about a car, maintenance costs etc will all take a back seat. And anyway, none of these cars should require much maintenance.
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bubby but which one is easy to maintain in terms of cost. As my daily drive is abt 60-80km.

Thanks in advance
I think since the OHC is a discontinued model, it would be good if you go in for the Baleno. Its a Maruti and hence has a better network of A**. Also i believe the spare parts of the Baleno are cheaper than the OHC(i may be wrong). I personally own a Baleno and i just love it.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
BTW, you still haven't mentioned the exact details of the 1999 OHC that you are considering. Is it a 1.3, 1.5 or a VTEC.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I think since the OHC is a discontinued model, it would be good if you go in for the Baleno. Its a Maruti and hence has a better network of A**. Also i believe the spare parts of the Baleno are cheaper than the OHC(i may be wrong). I personally own a Baleno and i just love it.

Cheers

Myself in love with Baleno then OHC but what i have heard is Baleno is more expensive to maintain as you are the owner of Baleno u must be having idea abt same.
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, you still haven't mentioned the exact details of the 1999 OHC that you are considering. Is it a 1.3, 1.5 or a VTEC.

Cheers
Its 1999 1.5 OHC done 50000km good condition
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Prince read carefully he has mentioned that he is looking at a 1.5 Exi in his first post itself.

GBPS - go for the OHC with your eyes closed even if she's done 50k. If the Honda people are giving you a warranty on it then all the better, but be sure that it has not been in an accident.

As for maintenance these cars require nothing except regular servicing and part failures are pretty rare. As for the fuel efficiency she is going to give you around 12-13 km/pl in city and around 14kmpl on the highway. However if you drive with a lead foot like me you might not get those figures!!

If you are worried about the car having done 50K don't worry my OHC VTEC has already done 95k and is still as good as new, my friend has a OHC 1.3 which has done 155k and is still a great drive and another friend has 1.5 which has done 170k. So if serviced properly you have no issues driving it for another lakh or two kilometres.

And just to help you decide ask all OHC lovers on this site the OHC as we all agree is a great car to drive! We are still smitten by it and the general consensus is that it is a vastly more fun machine than the NHC.

Hope you enjoy driving whatever car you decide to buy!!

Last edited by iraghava : 22nd April 2006 at 12:58.
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Myself in love with Baleno then OHC but what i have heard is Baleno is more expensive to maintain as you are the owner of Baleno u must be having idea abt same.
Well, today is the 22nd day for my Baleno which i bought on 31st March, 06. No problems whatsoever with it. I have heard from many Baleno Owners and they seem to be quite ok with the maintenence costs front. So i guess it should not be a problem at all.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Prince read carefully he has mentioned that he is looking at a 1.5 Exi in his first post itself.

!!
Iraghava, the question was for trigercool(refer post 3) and not for gbpscars who has mentioned its a 1.5Exi in the very first post.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 22nd April 2006 at 13:21.
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars
friends,

i would like to buy a refurbished old Honda City (1999-2003) from autoterrace (pre-owned cars division of honda india).

specifically the 1.5 Exi

just let me know if i can let my heart rule my head in deciding for a 2nd hand, 5 year old honda city?

(assume, that i'm aware of the tech specs of a vehicle and can do more than the basic checks for rating a car)

anto
In terms of looks "Old Honda city" is the best.

Go for it, you wont repent.
Old 22nd April 2006, 13:25   #15
BHPian

As you might have gone through many posts on honda city.. Any day the OHC rocks.. you seem to be a bit confused where in you say "Myself in love with baleno".. So, it's your choice mate, just take a decision and stick to it. Well for me, I couldn't get a OHC so bought a NHC Vtec... Whatever your choice is, have fun (and safe) driving..

Last edited by Laxminarayan : 22nd April 2006 at 13:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks