Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 00:03   #1
BHPian

The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Hi friends,

Well I have been a member of Team-BHP for over a year now, more like a silent one considering my number of posts but there has never been a day without spending a couple of hours reading all that my fellow BHPians have to say.

I'd like to repeat something that has been said a few times now, that Team-BHP is by far the most un-biased and complete car forum I've seen. Kudos tom all members and the moderators for maintaining the quality through the years.

Recently, I have been facing some sort of a predicament. I live in Mumbai and am looking for a vehicle thats costs me no more than 12-14 lakhs, that seats five people in decent comfort and that just 'fits the bill'. It took me one day and five Auto dealers to realise that I'm so lost.

Fuel type was never an issue, We've had a list of petrol vehicles that I have been extremely happy with, starting with the 118 NE (super spacious with its super slick gear box), a Zen(carburetor) followed by a Zen-Carbon, now a Ford Fiesta and a Hyundai i20. So all our cars have been petrols and we were pretty happy with them until now. Well our two year old i20 has done 28K despite of having a Fiesta as well so it really does make sense for us to own petrol cars any more because these fuel prices are killing me..!!

The first and the obvious choice was the Innova. It is by far the best combination of practicality and luxury.. hands down.. It is the most suitable vehicle for my family and the advantages of an Innova have been discussed quite a few times on our forum so I wont get into that.

Nevertheless I have two issues and two issues only with the Innova. First and foremost I am terrified of using the Innova in Mumbai traffic daily and especially without an Auto transmission. I'm sure there would be quite a few members who would not agree with my statement but it is personal feeling.
I have driven the Innova a lot in the city and the highways including a 3000Kms drive from Mumbai-Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg-Bangalore-Mumbai. So its just my take on the basis of my experience.

Secondly, I have an image issue with the vehicle. I'm still on the right side of 30 and just not too keen on driving an MPV that incidentally is also a favourite with the 'taxiwallas'

So the Innova not being the 'perfect' choice is put on hold.

Currently using the Hyundai i20 my elder brother is very keen on the the ANHV but being a six foot plus, I wasn't exactly a fan of the i20 and I was definitely not looking foward to the low seats of the new Verna.

Ofcourse the car is a much better option that my current i20. I don't wanna stir up a hornet's nest but I think the Hyundai i20 is still a half-baked product. The car has all the frills but has an under-powered petrol engine, bad steering, not so great suspension and low seats. (Please don't shoot me)

I also feel that the ANHV is the perfect example of a decent vehicle with a stonker of a diesel engine and an automatic transmission which is not exactly state of art but will get the job done and with all the bells and whistles you would want in you car but loses out on the basics -Rear seat comfort !

Also, after driving the Ford for such a long time now I really didn't appreciate the steering feel and the suspension on the Hyundai.

So the ANHV is out. (p.s I didn't get the auto version to TD)

Volkswagen Vento - Now that's a car I would want to buy.. or should I say I wanted to buy. I've always preferred a car with straighter lines than the curvy designs. Great quality, nice diesel engine and its German..!!

I could have lived without the Auto transmission, but again the rear seat just threw me a punch that I could't handle. I mean I can understand if a rear wheel drive has a large transmission tunnel but I think Volkswagen really messed it up with a 6 inch plus tunnel that for all practical purposes has made the Vento a 4 seater.

Plus, I'm absolutely not interested in buying a car from dealers who think if no end to themselves. So the Vento was out.

I have always had mixed feelings towards the Chevrolet Cruz. I had used it for a day during a friends wedding and I just didn't know where to place it. I definitely did not like the rear seat and roof messed up my spikes.

"hmm KC think about it.. what if I ignore those issues for a few minutes.. Its a nice car, it has a 'POW'erful diesel engine and Auto transmission and it also fits our budget."

But somehow it just didn't strike a chord. I was not too happy with the plastics inside and well i could't really ignore the rear seat and my messed up hair now could I..??

We did approach the local Chevy dealer but they flatly refused to give us an Auto tranny vehicle for TD. The lady over the counter made a killer statement "Sir a lot of 'bade company ke directors' buy the auto version even they are content with a test drive the manual version"

BEEEEEEEEP wrong answer lady. Although it does makes me wonder about those 'bade companies' whose directors would be doing such things.

Anyways my bade bhaiya wans't too sure about Chevy's after sales as well.

So sadly, the Cruz was out.. well to be honest it was never in.

The only Chevy I would ever buy would be the Captiva. Now that hits the sweet spot but it's a different story that hits my pocket a bit too hard

Okay so who's next.. it was like going through an extermination list !!

Now my bro said "Okay now we're really falling short of choices here so what do we have more. How about checking out the Skoda Laura?"

and it started my train of thoughts... "hmmm we'll be stretching our budget a bit too much with this.. but should we give this a try.. think about it a brand new Skoda Laura. I know they messed up big time with the name but its German !!

BUT WAIT..

What if stops in the middle of the road with a conked off ECU ??
or what if I bang the car because of a duplicate brake discs and what if I don't get to see my car for a year after it goes for repairs ??

Me: Na bhaiya I think we should let it go. I'd rather use the A/C bus

We didn't even visit Skoda.

Now we were really out options.

We did look at the Fiat Linea, which in my opinion is a great car but we have a couple friends who've had a nasty experience with their after-sales. Moreover, I wasn't too happy with their pre-sales. We had to wait ten minutes in an empty showroom for someone to ask us " yes Sir how may I help you "

He promised us a test drive the next day but didn't show up for a week after repeated calls.

FIAT with PAL - bad experience for the Italians.

FIAT with TATA - You guys never learn, now do you ??

We were initially not too excited about it but the Toyota Corolla diesel was now looking like a bright star, our savior. Another visit to the Toyota showroom ended very quickly when we were told that the Toyota Corolla Diesel (top in the line) would cost us more than the Innova.

" Alright, thank you, we really liked your showroom so we came to visit it again See yaa"

COME ON TOYOTA WHAT WERE YOU THINKING..!!!

"Okay bhaiya... chalo lets go home and drive be happy with what we have because either we have some really high expectations or the cars we saw were actually having those problems. In either case.. its a big oops."

"Wait Chhota, we've spent the whole day looking for a car so what''s the harm in trying a bit harder"

"RIghto, bhaiya.. i know its gone to your head and you can't handle the shock but look around there is NOTHING MORE !!"

"There has to be buddy.. think what did we miss."

"Okay.. Lemme see..the new Ta-ta Man-za"

" YOu gotta be kidding me... tell me you are " (No offense to anyone. The Tata Manza is a good vehicle, Its just not the one for us)

"Ofcourse I am, thats why I said there's nothing more"

" NO Lets go to Honda"

"What..!! Now wait a minute.. the whole idea of buying a new car is to get an oil burner so how does Honda come in the picture ?? "

Well, the argument ends with my bro reminding me of his 'bade bhaiya' status. So here we go again.

It did turn out a good decision because Honda had the best pre-sales behaviour and it was a welcome change after what we had been through the day. (Toyota was decent as well but Honda was better).

Ofcourse there was not much to do here. The ANHC is great vehicle the only downside being its too beige interiors but nothing that I can't live with.

The Civic is a superb vehicle but the low GC is a big no for Mumbai roads. I have seen my friend's vehicle touch bottom way too often and my mom's gonna find it tough to slide into the rear seat.

"Yes sir, so which is gonna be" the sales guys enquires as my brother starts walking towards the Accord...!!
"Bhaiya.. wassup.. I hope you don't plan to sell me to buy that car, cuz it still won't suffice so BACK OFF..!!

Anyways the visit to Honda was just that -a visit. They are petrol engines, so however good the vehicles are we are not gonna buy them.

So it all began one afternoon, where we we started with Innova,
moved on to the all new Hyundai Verna,
checked out Vento,
and the 'bade company' directors Cruz,
still haven't test driven the Linea
absolutely rejected SKoda,
laughed over Corolla (It is not worth the price they're asking),
spoke about the Manza,
and finally had some fun at Honda.

The day ended.

Now, you may wonder what was this all about ? Well Its just the present car scenario from my perspective and if there is anyone who is as lost as I am then please let me know, we'll have a discuss it over a 'cuppa tea'.

Cheers.

KC

Last edited by Turbocharged-KC : 5th July 2011 at 19:58.
Turbocharged-KC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The ever-ELUSIVE "perfect car" for 10 - 14 lakh rupees!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line

Turbocharged-KC, man, you have a way with words. I was all through your TD report. Am parking it in the What Car forum for now, as you don't seem to have yet decided.

My suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
I live in Mumbai and am looking for a vehicle thats costs me no more than 12-14 lakhs, that seats five people in decent comfort and that just 'fits the bill'.
And a diesel right?

How about waiting for the new Fiesta whose launch is only a couple of days away? Link to detailed Fiesta Review. It's no spacious 5 seater though.

You might also want to wait for the next-gen VW Jetta whose launch is in September, or the next-generation Sonata (look up pictures, a fabulous looking car).

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 15:17.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

As you already have a Fiesta, it makes sense to wait till the launch and try getting a TD. Have you considered the Etios? I understand its not the segment you are looking at, but you could definitely jazz it up (pun intended) or at least save some dough!

If you are happy with an 'outdated model' the Chevy Optra Magnum could be the real answer to your query.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

KC, that was an absolutely hilarious post and I too was in splits. The two brothers seem to have had a nice day out testing cars

You seem to have swung from B to C+ segment cars covering most of them and as Selfdrive mentioned, if the outdated stamp doesnt bother you, Optra could be your choice as it has a POW'erful diesel, more headroom than Cruze, your spikes remain intact and you can spend the night in rear bench as it's that spacious

Let's see which other cars you will line up for test drives and more importantly finally choose.

Goodluck !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

So who actually TD's the AT Cruze? According to the lady, even the "Bade Company Ke Directors", are also satisfied with the MT!

You really seem to be in a soup. I would suggest, wait for the new Fiesta and have a dekko. May interest you. Or the new Jetta. German, clean looks and reliable (?) A.S.S.

There can never be a Perfect car. Its more of what gets you going. Blame me if I am wrong. Thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 6th July 2011 at 15:59.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
We were initially not too excited about it but the Toyota Corolla diesel was now looking like a bright star, our savior. Another visit to the Toyota showroom ended very quickly when we were told that the Toyota Corolla Diesel (top in the line) would cost us more than the Innova.

" Alright, thank you, we really liked your showroom so we came to visit it again See yaa"

COME ON TOYOTA WHAT WERE YOU THINKING..!!!
my brother starts walking towards the Accord...!!
"Bhaiya.. wassup.. I hope you don't plan to sell me to buy that car, cuz it still won't suffice so BACK OFF..!!
KC

Coming back to your needs, what you want is Vento's engine + Laura's gearbox with Honda's resale and Manza like space. Good luck

As GTO and others said New Fiesta would be a better option. Why not Chevy Optra Magnum?
hdnivara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its just the present car scenario from my perspective and if there is anyone who is as lost as I am then please let me know, we'll have a discuss it over a 'cuppa tea'.
Man, this has to be one of the best reads at this hour of the day

I could so identify with your dilemma, its not funny. We're more or less in the same boat - the rear seats of the Cruze and the petrol engine of the Civic are the respective turn-offs in our case. In between, we've done the rounds with the Vento, Aria, Fortuner, Cedia, Laura heck, even the Etios!

I'm looking forward to reading more as your decision evolves!
suman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 17:33   #8
BHPian

Even i am going through the same thought process and could relate to closely with many of you car experiences.Thing about cruze is that it tugs the heart strings more than any other car.I am preparing for my impending car purchase around december and waitng far new jetta,hyundai elantra and ford focus to add more spice and zing to this segment.
drchernish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 17:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am assuming 10-14 lac ex-showroom. Other than the Innova, Cruze, Altis and Laura, the Renault Fluence diesel falls nicely in that budget. Sure it's manual transmission and lacks the bells and whistles of its petrol sibling, but that car is a looker for sure. Way more snob value than a Fiesta or Verna will fetch you.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 17:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Turbocharged-KC, man, you have a way with words. I was all through your TD report. Am parking it in the What Car forum for now, as you don't seem to have yet decided.

My suggestions:

And a diesel right?

How about waiting for the new Fiesta whose launch is only a couple of days away? Link to detailed Fiesta Review. It's no spacious 5 seater though.

You might also want to wait for the next-gen VW Jetta whose launch is in September, or the next-generation Sonata (look up pictures, a fabulous looking car).
Hey thanks GTO. A compliment coming you means quite a bit.

Coming to your suggestions, well you can imagine that after owning a Fiesta, the excitement for the new Fiesta has been through the roof but you said it yourself. It does not seat five people in comfort. The rear seat is just not wide enough.
Also, I do recall reading that the suspension setup is wee bit stiffer than the Fiesta Classic. Having said that, it is gonna be one helluva driver's vehicle and we're surely gonna TD it at a couple of dealerships..!!

The new Volkswagen Jetta is something that I am genuinely waiting for. Though it's A.S.S is something to watch out for.

Nevertheless, Sharp lines, 140hp, DSG gear box, five seats and its GERMAN..

I just hope they cut down on that centre hump and price it right and we have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As you already have a Fiesta, it makes sense to wait till the launch and try getting a TD. Have you considered the Etios? I understand its not the segment you are looking at, but you could definitely jazz it up (pun intended) or at least save some dough!

If you are happy with an 'outdated model' the Chevy Optra Magnum could be the real answer to your query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
KC, that was an absolutely hilarious post and I too was in splits. The two brothers seem to have had a nice day out testing cars

You seem to have swung from B to C+ segment cars covering most of them and as Selfdrive mentioned, if the outdated stamp doesnt bother you, Optra could be your choice as it has a POW'erful diesel, more headroom than Cruze, your spikes remain intact and you can spend the night in rear bench as it's that spacious

Let's see which other cars you will line up for test drives and more importantly finally choose.

Goodluck !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So who actually TD's the AT Cruze? According to the lady, even the "Bade Company Ke Directors", are also satisfied with the MT!

You really seem to be in a soup. I would suggest, wait for the new Fiesta and have a dekko. May interest you. Or the new Jetta. German, clean looks and reliable (?) A.S.S.

There can never be a Perfect car. Its more of what gets you going. Blame me if I am wrong. Thats just my 2 cents.

selfdrive, mobike 008 and swanand - thanks for your replies friends.

We never considered the Etios because I think it would have been a good vehicle to buy say five years earlier. It already looks and feels dated. Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think have they launched the Diesel Etios yet.

The trouble with 'jazzing' up a vehicle is that there is actually not much one can without losing the warranty, which is something I'd rather have for a car that is not yet 'tried and tested'.

As far as the Chevy Optra is concerned. I have my reservations. It is a very capable vehicle no doubts about it, but its around 7-8 years old now. If I buy a vehicle right away and intend to use it for 5 years that makes it 13 years for the Optra.
Do you think they would actually keep it in the market for that long. If they do then they have some serious management issues !!

I completely agree with you said Swanand, there is no perfect car, it just needs to set your pulse racing or simply 'fit the bill'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post

Coming back to your needs, what you want is Vento's engine + Laura's gearbox with Honda's resale and Manza like space. Good luck

As GTO and others said New Fiesta would be a better option. Why not Chevy Optra Magnum?
Thanks for replying hdnivara. Well doesn't everyone desire for the best 'bang for buck' car. Moreover I think I'll prefer the 140Hp from Laura (pardon my language).

Jokes apart, I do think that in this current price range the Skoda Laura is a stunner. It is a superior vehicle that has been let down by an absolutely corrupt A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Man, this has to be one of the best reads at this hour of the day

I could so identify with your dilemma, its not funny. We're more or less in the same boat - the rear seats of the Cruze and the petrol engine of the Civic are the respective turn-offs in our case. In between, we've done the rounds with the Vento, Aria, Fortuner, Cedia, Laura heck, even the Etios!

I'm looking forward to reading more as your decision evolves!
Boy am I glad to know I have some company here, I was starting to wonder if the problem was with me and not with the cars !

I desperately want the Volkswagen Jetta to come up good here. Oh lord please let common sense prevail..!!! but I know one thing for sure - that hump is there to stay !! So do I have to wait for the New Innova ?

Only time will tell my friend.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:10   #11
BHPian

Oh! Boy. I am impressed with your style of writing. Too fun to read as if you were sitting next to me and narrating.

I guess many more BHP'ians are in a similar dilemma when they have this dough to spend on a car. A lot have been said about the yet to be launched cars.

I have read good things about the Optra magnum, though its a little dated.

Let me tell you there is no perfect car. Be prepared to list things which ones you can live without.

Goodluck in finalizing your next car and will be watching this thread for more updates.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!
So someone is in a similar boat as me, but with different requirements.
If you were willing to stretch for the Laura, do check out the Jetta once it is launched. Sure enough that neither of these brands have great sales staff, but Skoda has one decent A.S.S. (JMD Auto). Not sure about VW though.
I was not at all very impressed with the Laura, but it seems to fit your requirements. If you don't mind waiting, the Jetta would be an amazing alternative as well, though on the pricier side.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:27   #13
BHPian

great post and extremely hilarious; made my day after some useless arguments at work.

Seriously you have captured the dilemma of most car buyers in this range. Lots of options but no what you really need....

Maybe slightly OT, but based on what I have seen on the net the Dacia Duster is a no frills vehicle which may plug this gap, not sure when it is coming to India though.
Old 6th July 2011, 23:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am assuming 10-14 lac ex-showroom. Other than the Innova, Cruze, Altis and Laura, the Renault Fluence diesel falls nicely in that budget. Sure it's manual transmission and lacks the bells and whistles of its petrol sibling, but that car is a looker for sure. Way more snob value than a Fiesta or Verna will fetch you.
Absolutely agree with you on the snob value part, also it has major expansion plans in India but I'd like to wait till the company establishes a steady base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Wow!
So someone is in a similar boat as me, but with different requirements.
If you were willing to stretch for the Laura, do check out the Jetta once it is launched. Sure enough that neither of these brands have great sales staff, but Skoda has one decent A.S.S. (JMD Auto). Not sure about VW though.
I was not at all very impressed with the Laura, but it seems to fit your requirements. If you don't mind waiting, the Jetta would be an amazing alternative as well, though on the pricier side.
Well, I wasn't really willing to stretch for the Laura (jeezz man they have to do something about the name). I would have considered the vehicle if it wasn't for its bad A.S.S (Moderator - no pun intended)

I'm definitely looking forward to the Jetta.. fingers crossed.. toes crossed.. damn I feel like a knot..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
great post and extremely hilarious; made my day after some useless arguments at work.

Seriously you have captured the dilemma of most car buyers in this range. Lots of options but no what you really need.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Oh! Boy. I am impressed with your style of writing. Too fun to read as if you were sitting next to me and narrating.

I guess many more BHP'ians are in a similar dilemma when they have this dough to spend on a car. A lot have been said about the yet to be launched cars.
Really glad to know that I was able to bring a smile to all of you.. that too bang in the middle of the week just when things start to get a bit irritating..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Even i am going through the same thought process and could relate to closely with many of you car experiences.Thing about cruze is that it tugs the heart strings more than any other car.I am preparing for my impending car purchase around december and waitng far new jetta,hyundai elantra and ford focus to add more spice and zing to this segment.
I dont think the New Elantra would be in 10-14 lakhs range. They wont price it so close the ANHV and risk losing out its numbers.. but you caught my attention with the Ford Focus. Are you sure they're gonna get it out in the market by the end of this year ?
Old 7th July 2011, 08:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also in the same boat. Its surely a tough choice. The biggest irritation is due to the sudden revolution that has taken place in the c segment in the last year. Vento, anhv, nfs offer much more vfm, jack of all trade kind of cars.

even I am waiting for the jetta but I doubt if they will reduce the prices. At the current prices it seems a bit over priced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks