Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 17:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used car under 2 lakh for college student

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My personal suggestion would be to stay away from heavily used Hondas, Hyundais, Fiats and Fords.
Why is Honda added to your list of not to own heavily used cars? I always thought that old and heavily used Honda cars present much less risks compared to cars of similar condition of other brands. Actually, I have been personally toying with the idea of an offbeat car for around INR 2 lacs, and the first generation Honda Accord & Toyota Camry are the cars I specifically had in mind.
Old 11th December 2013, 19:17   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Did you have any experience in your circle where the OHC turned out to burn a hole in regular servicing ? I have never come across anyone report the OHC as being expensive on ones pocket. I myself owned one till about 97000kms and it was dirt cheap to maintain. FTD yes it was but absolutely no comparisons with an Ikon or Palio as far as servicing costs is concerned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Why is Honda added to your list of not to own heavily used cars? I always thought that old and heavily used Honda cars present much less risks compared to cars of similar condition of other brands. Actually, I have been personally toying with the idea of an offbeat car for around INR 2 lacs, and the first generation Honda Accord & Toyota Camry are the cars I specifically had in mind.
I haven't personally experienced it, but I do know several people who had to shell out big bucks to keep their old Honda City running. And it's not just the City, cars like the CR-V, Civic and Accord aren't cheap to maintain after a certain point. HOWEVER, it is certainly not as expensive as a similarly used Fiat / Ford that's for sure!

Thankfully, our Civic is not giving us sleepless nights even though it's a '07 model. It might have something to do with the fact that it has done just 40,000 km.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 20:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
I am a college student. Diesel preferred. Mileage under 75K; under 5 years old. Safety features like ABS, Airbags and EBD would be lovely.
If you are willing to compromise on mileage, model year, and safety, you would probably be able to find diesel Maruti Esteems for about 2 lakh (the thread title is for a 2 lakh used car, so I'm not sure if your budget is 2 lakh too). Your next best choice for a diesel under 2 lakh would be an old Maruti Zen or Tata Indigo. A Skoda Octavia would meet your budget and safety requirements, but I doubt it would be cheap to maintain like a Maruti or Tata.

A Maruti Alto would be quite cheap, meeting budget, mileage, and model year needs, but would be a compromise on fuel type and safety. You could consider getting a new one if you can stretch your budget a bit.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cars like the CR-V, Civic and Accord aren't cheap to maintain after a certain point. HOWEVER, it is certainly not as expensive as a similarly used Fiat / Ford that's for sure!
Are there any threads on t-bhp regarding ownership costs/maintenance issues of old (like 2002-2003 model year) Japanese cars like Accord, Camry, CRV etc that you can point me to? Or any other source of information? I just wanted to get an idea as to how expensive are these cars to maintain, since I am very close to buying a 2003 Accord.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any threads on t-bhp regarding ownership costs/maintenance issues of old (like 2002-2003 model year) Japanese cars like Accord, Camry, CRV etc that you can point me to? Or any other source of information? I just wanted to get an idea as to how expensive are these cars to maintain, since I am very close to buying a 2003 Accord.
I would advise you to do complete due diligence before entering such a deal. A friend of mine had bought a 2nd generation Honda CRV A/T which was five years old and had close to 68000 kms on odometer for five lakhs. The car belonged to the Managing Director of a Multinational company and was very well maintained. It was fun to drive and was scratch less. However, when my friend had done around 6000kms, it started giving trouble. The first thing was suspension and steering. He had no choice but to shell around Rs. 80,000/-. After this was the turn of an A/C. The estimate given by the authorized service station was close to Rs.45,000/-. He went ahead and got that from outside repair shops.
The availability of spares is a major problem. In a place like New Delhi, the spares took almost fifteen days to arrive at the workshop.
The last time when I spoke to him, he mentioned tyres . Today the ODO reading is around 85000kms.
Overall, he is not happy with the expensive maintenance. His suggestion to me was to stay away from the deals available on these cars. He now wants to sell the car and is hardly finding a buyer.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:07   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You have to remember that unlike cars, spare parts don't depreciate in value over time.

A 20 lakh Accord may cost 3 lakhs to acquire, but it will still be just as expensive as a 20-lakh-car would be to service. Even more so when the car has done 50k+ on the odo.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:13   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You have to remember that unlike cars, spare parts don't depreciate in value over time.

A 20 lakh Accord may cost 3 lakhs to acquire, but it will still be just as expensive as a 20-lakh-car would be to service. Even more so when the car has done 50k+ on the odo.
Have read this statement being repeated many times on the forum and I tend to agree with it. But still leaves me wondering how costly would it be to maintain such a vehicle? Obviously the owner of such a vehicle will be getting the car serviced at a local garage and not honda workshop. Most of the inflated service bills of high end cars are primarily because of inflated prices being charged by dealers. But the after market spare parts shouldn't be that costly. And cars like Accord and Camry are pretty reliable, so in most cases they will only require regular servicing.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:42   #68
BHPian

Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And cars like Accord and Camry are pretty reliable, so in most cases they will only require regular servicing.
While the Honda's are relatively bulletproof, its the wear and tear parts like suspension,clutch et al which WILL fail in a five year old car. Bear in mind that Honda and Toyota spares are good quality but certainly not cheap !

If someone buys into these bargain basement deals, he has to be prepared to shell out to the effect of 1.5-2.5 lakhs over a 3 year period at least. Add to that, the delay at the workshop due to unavailability of spares. However, if used as a second weekend car, this should hardly matter. And 2 lakhs is less than 1 year of depreciation cost on an Accord !
Old 12th December 2013, 16:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

If someone buys into these bargain basement deals, he has to be prepared to shell out to the effect of 1.5-2.5 lakhs over a 3 year period at least. Add to that, the delay at the workshop due to unavailability of spares. However, if used as a second weekend car, this should hardly matter. And 2 lakhs is less than 1 year of depreciation cost on an Accord !
Is that figure just random or did you take into account the actual costs? Somehow to me it looks really inflated. Outside spares tend to cost much less although my experience is limited to cars this side of 20 lacs. But then taking into account even a 20% increase in costs for accord spares over something like the altis, the figure is still no way close to 1.5l you mention. Plus surely not every part needs a replacement after only 5 years!
Old 12th December 2013, 17:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:

Here you go.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131212_170216.png
Views: 1968
Size:  335.5 KB

These prices are upto date as of Aug-sept.2013
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 20:19   #71
BHPian

Can 2007 ish Fiesta 1.6, Cedia with ABS run below 50k kms in good condition be bought in this budget?
Old 12th December 2013, 20:41   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Can 2007 ish Fiesta 1.6, Cedia with ABS run below 50k kms in good condition be bought in this budget?
Nope but he did mention that the budget is flexible if he finds a car desirable enough
Old 12th December 2013, 21:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Nope but he did mention that the budget is flexible if he finds a car desirable enough
Sorry, I could not put it properly. The query was for me. What should be reasonable price to pay for 2007_2008 Fiesta with ABS? 2006 model should come in this budget IMO.
Old 12th December 2013, 23:04   #74
BHPian

Re: Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees

Guys I think I've zeroed in on the models to look at. Now its time to scan the market!
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:34   #75

Buying a used Luxury Car below 2.5 Lakhs

Hi,
i was interested in buying a car till a budget of 2.5Lakhs.
the current set of options im getting is

1: Mercedes Benz Eclass 2000 4th owner 48000km petrol

2: Honda Accord Type 2 2003 2nd owner AT 2.4 65000 km petrol and cng

3: Skoda Octavia Rider Diesel 2nd owner 2004 105000 km diesel

4: Hyundai Sonata Gold 2nd owner 2001 45000 km petrol

5: Ford Mondeo 2002 2nd owner 65000 km petrol

6: Toyota Camry 2003 1st owner 100000 km manual petrol

7: Maruti Sx4 2007 vxi 2nd owner 55000 km petrol
Now im really confused about what i should purchase. I already have a Maruti Swift diesel for daily use.And i have a Honda Accord type 2 which my father bought a new one in 2003. But i wanted another one. So which should be right. Please suggest me all. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th February 2014 at 06:24. Reason: Extra smileys removed. Plz limit to 2 smileys per post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks