Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 22:10   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

I happened to stop for lunch at Empire. The food was very bad. Not sure if this is the usual case. Milk shake (for which Shivajinagar Empire is famous for) was just sugar syrup. Biryani was bad. I would rate 1/5, 1 only for the place. To top it, they couldn't give a proper bill - their printer wasn't working.
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-wp_20150228_001.jpg

PS: I have heard good reviews on Hotel Sipayi (next to Thimmadas), which serves native food & decently price. Will try next time.
Old 4th March 2015, 22:53   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I happened to stop for lunch at Empire. The food was very bad. Not sure if this is the usual case.
I guess this is the usual case. I had once stopped over there for dinner and found the service and food horrible. On top of that restroom was filthy.

Else too, I feel in Bangalore too food quality at Empire has come down.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 23:26   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Else too, I feel in Bangalore too food quality at Empire has come down.
Sorry to hear that, its almost 8 years since I visited.
Old 5th March 2015, 08:32   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I happened to stop for lunch at Empire. The food was very bad. Not sure if this is the usual case. Milk shake (for which Shivajinagar Empire is famous for) was just sugar syrup. Biryani was bad. I would rate 1/5, 1 only for the place. To top it, they couldn't give a proper bill - their printer wasn't working.
Attachment 1346529
This place has gone to dogs and their cleanliness and hygiene factors are in shambles. The rest rooms are never clean. In the initial days it was a hit and always crowded, but since the last year or so I have been completely avoiding this place.

Next time around try Vaishaali, they are much better in terms of food quality and cleanliness.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 10:24   #440
Senior - BHPian

I will be visiting Mysore from Bangalore (one day trip) this coming Saturday (7th March).Going through the road conditions stated in this forum by fellow Bhpians,now I am confused as to which route should I take.Will be starting from cottonpet.The two routes I could make out are-
1- Kanakapura - Malavalli - Bannur route
2-In famous SH 17

advice.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 5th March 2015 at 10:26.
Old 5th March 2015, 10:29   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I will be visiting Mysore from Bangalore (one day trip) this coming Saturday (7th March).Going through the road conditions stated in this forum by fellow Bhpians,now I am confused as to which route should I take.Will be starting from cottonpet.The two routes I could make out are-
2-In famous SH 17

advice.
Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore road is in shambles now owing to road widening efforts. Only sane way of travelling is SH17. Just brave out the humps and traffic, make sure the car AC is on and soothing music is playing from the stereo

Last weekend I drove from Bangalore to Mysore on Saturday morning. Left at 7am, reached mysore at 10.45am with a breakfast stop. I knew the drive is going to suck so I pretty much drove slow trying not to lose patience
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 14:31   #442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2-In famous SH 17

advice.
- Just take the regular Mysore road.
- Start early
- Be easy on your drive. Dont go over 70-90
- Take those breaks.

An early start will solve 90% of commute problems on the Mysore road. Now for the return, none can help! Its the usual traffic. If you start late, may be you wont see much traffic. Humps yes, you have to endure.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 15:28   #443
BHPian

Quote:
I will be visiting Mysore from Bangalore (one day trip) this coming Saturday (7th March). Will be starting from cottonpet.The two routes I could make out are-
2-In famous SH 17

advice.
Taking the usual SH17 is better now that even the Nayandahalli junction flyover is open to traffic. Start early. Coming back shouldn't be as bad since you are coming back on Saturday itself. Usually Saturday's traffic is better than those on Sunday evenings. Starting after dark if you are comfortable driving at night, the traffic is even lesser and/ or drivers are slower
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 15:43   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I happened to stop for lunch at Empire. The food was very bad. Not sure if this is the usual case.
Empire is the worst restaurant on Mysore road. I had CB there once - the rice used was plain rice and the raitha sucked, the price wan't any less either. I've vowed never to enter that place again.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 17:27   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Next time around try Vaishaali, they are much better in terms of food quality and cleanliness.
I usually don't eat, since stopping means suddenly a 3 hour journey becomes 4 hours or more. Will try Vaishaali next time when I stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Empire is the worst restaurant on Mysore road. I had CB there once - the rice used was plain rice and the raitha sucked, the price wan't any less either. I've vowed never to enter that place again.
When I pass by that place on weekends, I see the parking full & some cars parked on the kerb. Some of these are high end cars. Surprised to see the stuff they are getting.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:32   #446
Senior - BHPian

An Update on SH 17
Thanks to the updates by fellow Bhpians,took the usual Bangalore-Mysore road.
Roads are in good condition,98% poth hole free. However the speed breakers spoil the otherwise good road. Almost all the speedbreakers are well marked.
Things people need to look out for are-
1- "Speedbreakers" though well marked, some of the boards showed go slow and not the usual signage of a speedbreaker.
2-Keep an eye on jaywalkers who just dart out.
3-Two wheelers
4-Truckers who simply love to hog on the extreme right.
5- KSRTC volvos
6- Driving at night is a bit painful because of the oncoming traffic with highbeams,thankfully my Hella aux lights were helpful.
7- Advice on eateries- There are a couple of good eateries on both sides-KFC,Mc Donalds,Kamat etc.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 10th March 2015 at 09:35.
Old 12th March 2015, 09:39   #447
Senior - BHPian

Had the misfortune to drive from Mysore to Bangalore on Sunday. Took 4 hours of driving time from Columbia Asia junction to Whitefield on Sunday afternoon. Covered the same distance in 2 hours 35 minutes in the morning. I felt there are more speed breakers on Mysore - Bangalore side than the other side.
For early morning starts, SH 17 is the fastest to Mysore.
Old 12th March 2015, 11:31   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Had the misfortune to drive from Mysore to Bangalore on Sunday. Took 4 hours of driving time from Columbia Asia junction to Whitefield on Sunday afternoon. Covered the same distance in 2 hours 35 minutes in the morning. I felt there are more speed breakers on Mysore - Bangalore side than the other side.
For early morning starts, SH 17 is the fastest to Mysore.
Was it late afternoon? I was at Columbia Asia at ~11.45 am and reached belandur at 3.45 PM with a 1 hr break. So 3 hours of driving time which seemed pretty reasonable given the traffic.
Old 12th March 2015, 11:36   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Was it late afternoon? I was at Columbia Asia at ~11.45 am and reached belandur at 3.45 PM with a 1 hr break. So 3 hours of driving time which seemed pretty reasonable given the traffic.
I was at Columbia Asia Junction by around 2:30 PM. Reached home at Whitefield at 7:00 PM with about 30 mins break in between. Covered around 22 KMs from MG road to my house in 45 minutes.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:32   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I was at Columbia Asia at ~11.45 So 3 hours of driving time
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I was at Columbia Asia Junction by around 2:30 PM. Reached home at Whitefield at 7:00 PM
The difference in start time is what matters.

From my experience I have noted that traffic builds up past 03.00 PM and continues to remain bad till around 07.00 PM.

Start from Mysore past 07.00 PM and the timings will be around 03 hours.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks