Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 09:39   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
All you need to do is just get through the narrow road for a kilometre, then you get a good and wide road upto Jigani Industrial area with few bad stretches although not very bad. You will join the Jigani bye pass and it is also 10 kms lesser in distance and no toll. People staying nearby Banneraghatta can use this option. You can find this route in Google maps. This way you can avoid traffic after Kaggalipura and reach Bangalore easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Actually I tried this road once when I had to drop someone at Electronic city while coming on NH209. But at the end of it I realized that I'd have probably taken less time had I taken the NICE road instead. Too many small villages / small residential layouts on this road slows you down considerably.
+1! This is the Anekal-Harohali SH. You can take this and end up at Jigani industrial estate. The reason why this road is more famous because, people use this to go to Thattekere.

Some snaps:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2528621

The road goes via a state park behind Bannergatta National Park. It has lots of elephant activity and is also rich in birds. And of course the views are awesome. As Kala mentioned, the road towards Anekal sides has lots of twists and turns and one can get lost due to many forks. So to reach E-City surely NICE is the best option.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2013 at 09:43.
Old 15th March 2013, 10:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There are TWO roads that lead up to Bannerghatta road. One, that Deehunk says is at the Harohalli Bus Stand, and like he rightly said, once you cross the initial narrow stretch, its a breeze.

The second one is at the Kaggalupura village junction on the Kanakapura main road. This road is quite narrow, with lots of forks, turns, mud roads, forest check posts etc..This is avoidable. Not sure which road Kala took.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 10:23   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
There are TWO roads that lead up to Bannerghatta road. One, that Deehunk says is at the Harohalli Bus Stand, and like he rightly said, once you cross the initial narrow stretch, its a breeze.

The second one is at the Kaggalupura village junction on the Kanakapura main road. This road is quite narrow, with lots of forks, turns, mud roads, forest check posts etc..This is avoidable. Not sure which road Kala took.
I did take the one from Harohalli. After the initial bad stretch the road was quite good for about 5-6 kms and then the mayhem started.

As I said in the earlier post, may be I took the wrong fork at that point. Don't think I have the gpx file for that trip either to crosscheck.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:22   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

, yes there are 2 right turns near Harohalli bus stop, one to the left and other to the right, if you take the first right, you end up reaching Maralawadi comfortably and then wonder where have I come till you reach Tattekere. The second right will take you through the narrow lanes of Harohalli village which is a km or so and then you enter the Anekal-Harohalli SH, then you passby Tattekere, Marikanive Forest range and reach a place called Uraganadoddi after about 15kms, again here you get a right turn which will take you to Anekal via Indibele but never use this road, just continue straight towards Jigani which is 12km , you pass by Mahanthalingapura and enter Jigani bye pass near Otis circle. I use this route often on weekends for driving to Chamarajanagar via Kanakapura and makes my drive much easier instead of struggling behind trucks and buses on Kanakapura road. I can update the road condition with photos as I am going this weekend to Kanakapura.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-capture.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 15th March 2013 at 11:42. Reason: add places
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 11:53   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

, yes there are 2 right turns near Harohalli bus stop, one to the left and other to the right, if you take the first right, you end up reaching Maralawadi comfortably
I think the road to Maralwadi also leads to Hunasanahalli via Bilakal Rangaswamy Betta and one fork also leads to Thally. Any ideas how this road is?

Wanted to try it some day.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2013 at 12:12.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:29   #186
Senior - BHPian

The road from Maralawadi to Tattekere is horrible and one of the worst roads I have ever seen, there are no proper sign boards, same is the state of road from Anekal to Thally via Gumlapuram. I tried this stretch Maralawadi-Kalli Bheemasandra-Tattekere-Uraganadoddi-Indlawadi (i mis-spelt it Indibele in previous post) last September while coming back from Chamarajanagar and as I stay in Chandapura. It was a very bad experience. I have also tried Anekal-Gumlapuram-Mallige Mettilu-Kanakapura once last August and again not a very good road.
Old 15th March 2013, 17:26   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just continue straight towards Jigani which is 12km , you pass by Mahanthalingapura and enter Jigani bye pass near Otis circle. I use this route often on weekends for driving to Chamarajanagar via Kanakapura and makes my drive much easier instead of struggling behind trucks and buses on Kanakapura road. I can update the road condition with photos as I am going this weekend to Kanakapura.
I checked on my mobile and I did have the sportstracker data of that drive, and the route that I took happens to be exactly the same that you've shown in the map. The 38.9 kms from Harohalli to E-City took me exactly 1 hour to traverse.

Interestingly Even the Harohalli-NICE road-E-City is only 40 kms as per Google maps, so you don't really save anything in terms of distance.

The GPX file of the route I took is attached - contains time tags as well as speed information also.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Harohalli-ECity.gpx (604.5 KB, 527 views)
Old 21st March 2013, 08:59   #188
Senior - BHPian

I took the Kollegala-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Harohalli-Jigani route on Tuesday while coming back from Chamarajanagar, roads are very good from Kollegala upto Harohalli town, around 1km after Harohalli town is in doeable condition, then good upto Uraganadoddi, about 4kms stretch to Jigani is in bad state. Very few vehicles ply on this road even now so an option open still to escape the traffic.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:01   #189
BHPian

Planning a trip to madikeri coming Thu(11th April). I have traveled to madikeri several times through the traditional Mysore road route, but would like to get opinion on the other two routes

1- bangalore-kanakpura-malavalli-bannur-mysore-husnur-kushalnagar-madikeri

2- bangalore-kunigal-channarayapatna-holenarsipur-kushalnagar-madikeri

I have read mixed opinions on the above two in Team-BHP? anybody has the latest status?

The one via channarayapatna looked promising (I know the road till Channarayaptna is good since I have driven till Hasan last year), but the report that around 50 kms in the channarayapatna to kushalnagar is bad put me off.

I have driven though Kanakapura road to Kollegal as well so I am ok with the road till Malavalli (unless it has gone bad in the last year). But what about Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore?
Old 8th April 2013, 11:49   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Planning a trip to madikeri coming Thu(11th April). I have traveled to madikeri several times through the traditional Mysore road route, but would like to get opinion on the other two routes

2- bangalore-kunigal-channarayapatna-holenarsipur-kushalnagar-madikeri

I have read mixed opinions on the above two in Team-BHP? anybody has the latest status?

The one via channarayapatna looked promising (I know the road till Channarayaptna is good since I have driven till Hasan last year), but the report that around 50 kms in the channarayapatna to kushalnagar is bad put me off.

I have driven though Kanakapura road to Kollegal as well so I am ok with the road till Malavalli (unless it has gone bad in the last year). But what about Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore?
No idea about road conditions on Option 2, but roads on the route via NH209 are quite decent. NH209 of course is in excellent shape, and SH33 from Malavalli to Mysore was reported to be in good condition as well (according to a report here a month or so back) except for some road repair work going on near Bannur. When I travelled that way in early February the bad stretch was for about 8-10 kms centred around Bannur town and repair work was ongoing in those areas. So I'd expect that the repair work would have been completed by now.

Watch out for speedbreakers (unscientific and often unmarked) on either side of almost every village you pass on the Malavalli-Mysore stretch.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 19:43   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
No idea about road conditions on Option 2, but roads on the route via NH209 are quite decent. NH209 of course is in excellent shape, and SH33 from Malavalli to Mysore was reported to be in good condition as well (according to a report here a month or so back) except for some road repair work going on near Bannur. When I travelled that way in early February the bad stretch was for about 8-10 kms centred around Bannur town and repair work was ongoing in those areas. So I'd expect that the repair work would have been completed by now.

Watch out for speedbreakers (unscientific and often unmarked) on either side of almost every village you pass on the Malavalli-Mysore stretch.

Did this on the way back from Madikeri today (April 14th). Except for a small stretch before Bannur and some up and down road inside Bannur town, road was OK. Traffic was heavier than what I expected-may be because it was Sunday;Have observed that in villages in and around Bangalore and Mysore, Sunday is market day. Would prefer this over the madness on Mysore road for return journeys

While going to Madikeri stuck to the traditional Mysore Road. Surprisingly traffic was pretty thin - probably because of Ugadi- was travelling on 11th April.
Old 15th April 2013, 01:44   #192
BHPian

Just did Mysore - Bangalore and reached home safely and soundly.. Well within 2.5 hours [11:00 pm - 1:30 am]. Surprisingly traffic was less!

Past one year, I always avoided this road because of traffic. Should consider myself lucky of not facing any traffic today.

Speed-breaker's at Mandya town are like monster! Felt like I was crossing multi-storied apartment
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 10:19   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Well within 2.5 hours [11:00 pm - 1:30 am]. Surprisingly traffic was less!
This thread is about driving on Sunday mornings & evenings, specifically between 4PM to 9PM. Any other day & time, the whole stretch is empty.
Old 7th May 2013, 15:24   #194
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I need to drive down to kollegal on some personal work, Am planning to drive down on Saturday (5:00 am - as I need to be there before 9:00) and am planning to leave back from there on Sunday (4:00 pm - by choice). I am planning to use the below route Banaswadi - Outer Ring road - Silk Board - NICE road - Harohalli - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal (this was the route suggested by a friend, alternatives are welcome)

Before I address my questions, here are a few things which maybe useful to know for you to suggest me the best options

1. My ride is a NHC type 2
2. Travelling with family
3. I have a fair amount of city driving experience in a car (about 2000 km), but very little highway driving experience
4. Am not an enthusiastic driver, and keep within my realistic limits not a risk taker
5. Have driven a lot on my bike in the night on the highways, so am not averse to night driving just inexperienced in a car

Well coming to my questions
a. As I have never used the routes before am not confident of the directions, are the proper sign boards or people to ask
b. How are the road conditions currently, anything that i need to be watchful off
c. Is it mostly flat land driving or are there any hilly sections with tight curves
d. Am open to suggestion of an alternate route or alternate timings for return journey as well.

As always your responses have been very helpful and so thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Andy
Old 7th May 2013, 16:37   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
I am planning to use the below route Banaswadi - Outer Ring road - Silk Board - NICE road - Harohalli - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal (this was the route suggested by a friend, alternatives are welcome)
If you're leaving as early as 5AM, it would probably be faster to come right through the city to Kanakapura road since it would be much shorter. While returning you might want to look at lower traffic alternatives.

Quote:
a. As I have never used the routes before am not confident of the directions, are the proper sign boards or people to ask
NH212 is fairly well marked as far as signboards are concerned. (It wasn't so a couple of years ago). Just a few points to remember.

As you enter Kanakapura town, the highway curves off to the right (The straight road takes you to the KSRTC bus stand) and then takes a left immediatly thereafter. If I recall there is a signboard that is marked as NH212 to the right at that junction, so you shouldn't have a problem.

There are a couple of junctions on the highway within Kanakapura town that have signages which are a bit confusing. Just remember to follow the road that has a median - that is NH212.

Just before you reach Malavalli town you reach a T junction. To go to Kollegal you need to take a left there. (Right turn leads to Malavalli town and goes further to Maddur / Mysore). Even here there is a clear marking that shows the left turn to Kollegal.

Quote:
b. How are the road conditions currently, anything that i need to be watchful off
c. Is it mostly flat land driving or are there any hilly sections with tight curves
d. Am open to suggestion of an alternate route or alternate timings for return journey as well.
Road conditions are excellent after you pass the Metro construction activity on Kanakapura road. The terrain isn't hilly, but there are quite a few sharp curves, nothing to really worry about though. Be slow on the curves - especially the ones immediately after you pass Kanakapura town (the first 10 kms or so), because the road is a little bit narrow at some of these curves.

No alternate routes to suggest, this one is by far the best - but may be you could start the return journey slightly earlier - with a 4PM start you'd be reaching Bangalore in the peak traffic period of 6 to 7 PM.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks