Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2024, 16:51   #796
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

I made a trip to Mannargudi while onwards took Vridachalam - Sethiyathope - Anaikarai - Mannai. I see one more flyover has opened for traffic in the sethiyathope - anaiakarai stretch and work in full swing on other flyovers. Anaikarai new bridge should be ready in a month or so. Hope the new sethiyathope bypass also gets completed and opened soon. On return journey took Meensurity - Jayamkondam - Vridachalam road. The Jayamkondam - Vridachalam is 95% complete. immediately leaving the jayamkondam town the 4 lane starts and there are road laying works going for 1 km which should be completed in a week or so. after that its a beauty 4 laned road till Karuveppankurichi with very less traffic. after that road remains the old 2 laned till Vridachalam bypass. it saves some kilometers and some time than the sethiyathope route.

More update on Vikravandi - sethiyathope: NHAI has taken decision to scrap the tender for Reliance infra and go for a new BID. Very late decision but very much right which they should have taken 2 years ago. Anyways hope the new contractor finishes the job as per the timeline. everytime i see the new Vilupuram - Chidambaram highway i feel jealous why Kumbakonam gets bad luck eveytime with road development works.

Last edited by venki.bala : 24th July 2024 at 16:57. Reason: apologise forgot to add an information
venki.bala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 05:11   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
More update on Vikravandi - sethiyathope: NHAI has taken decision to scrap the tender for Reliance infra and go for a new BID. Very late decision but very much right which they should have taken 2 years ago.
It is almost four years since work came to a complete stop in this stretch. Two years back NHAI confirmed the original contractor "Reliance Infra" abandoned the project but for reasons best known only to them NHAI just sat quiet leaving road users to suffer for so long. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/168919.jpg
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 17:31   #798
Senior - BHPian

Had to make a trip to Kumbakonam for a family function. Work meant could leave only around 5:00 PM from Anna Nagar. Progress up to Tindivanam was as usual slow and painful. Took the Ulundurpet - Vridachalam - Jayamkondam - Meensurutti - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam route. Reached Kumbakonam around 11:30 PM after a brief dinner stop and a 5 minute break at Gangaikonda Cholapuram for some night time photography.

The stretch between Vridachalam and Andimadam was OK to drive even during the night time if one kept the speeds around 70 km/h as at many places the new top layer starts without any tapering so the difference between the two road layers make it very uncomfortable. Of course as mentioned by others there are some culvert / bridge work that is still happening. Almost all of these unfinished sections are less than 50 mts each. The Jayamkondam - Vridachalam lane is much better compared to the onward lane in terms of road conditions. Took me roughly 40 minutes between Vridachalam town and Jayamkondam town.

A lot of diversions still exist between Meensurutti and Kumbakonam but work is happening briskly and flyovers are getting opened regularly. Anaikarai new bridge connectivity may still be a few months away I suppose.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 14:10   #799
BHPian

I am in my hometown and returning back tomorrow. need to stop over at Nagapattinam. Considering to take new nagai - tanjore highway till needamangalam then take right to kumbakonam and follow the regular route. but want to know the status of nagai - sirkazhi stretch before proceeding. is it worth taking risk through ecr?

Last edited by venki.bala : 15th September 2024 at 14:17. Reason: spelling error
Old 17th September 2024, 07:35   #800
BHPian

I took the bait and took the ECR from Nagapattinam all the way to Chennai.

ECR widening work is on full swing between Nagai outskirts till Karaikal border. The ECR remains the old road passing through Karaikal till thirukadaiyur. Passing through Karaikal town is most painful in this stretch. it took nearly 30 mins to cross the town and after crossing the town the old highway remains in good condition till Thirukadaiyur. Then the painful stretch starts till Sirkazhi bypass. The work is in full swing and you get concrete surface completed on one side for 500m to 1 km and then suddenly you will move unmarked diversion to other side. Culverts are work in progress and there are too many. negotiating these is a painful act. All these pain gets over once u reach Sirkazhi bypass from here its a breeze till cuddalore except for small diversion near B.Mutlur where we need to go through the town. cuddalore to Pondy remains the same chaotic as always.

Is it worth taking ECR from Nagai to Sirkazhi? No atleast for another 6 months. Its a strain on Vehicle and the driver. I would recommend the Needamangalam - Nagapattinam road even though the distance is more.

timing wise started from Nagapattinam at 11 am and reached Sirkazhi bypass at 1.15 PM. Hotel clarks inn in Sirkazhi bypass has neat and clean restrooms but restaurant is very slow in service.
venki.bala is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2024, 09:56   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
It is almost four years since work came to a complete stop in this stretch. Two years back NHAI confirmed the original contractor "Reliance Infra" abandoned the project but for reasons best known only to them NHAI just sat quiet leaving road users to suffer for so long. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/168919.jpg
Just read NHAI has floated new tender for this stretch. Road works duration for 2 years and maintenance for 5 years with close to 1000 crore for this 70 Km stretch.

https://x.com/TamilNaduInfra/status/1842667137032389103
Old 7th October 2024, 20:03   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Just read NHAI has floated new tender for this stretch. Road works duration for 2 years and maintenance for 5 years with close to 1000 crore for this 70 Km stretch.

https://x.com/TamilNaduInfra/status/1842667137032389103
So, at best we can expect the entire stretch to be completed only by 2027 !!
Phew !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks