Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2024, 08:58   #10021

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Sad to hear this as Aldur - Balehonnur is one of my favourite stretches to drive. Are you talking tyre ripping deep craters or broken tarmac that slows you down?
Now that you mention, the entry to Aldur has one of the worst roads on this section. And yes, the craters are tyre ripping - lost a rim cover while trying to negotiate a crater.
Attached Images

Tharle Subba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2024, 14:00   #10022

"I departed Hassan at 6 AM on October 19th and arrived in Manipal at 1:45 PM via Hassan-Belur-Charmadi-Ujire-Karkala. We took a 30-minute break during the journey. The road from Hassan to Belur (approximately 20 km) and from Charmadi to GV Kere was in poor condition, as reported by other travelers. Light traffic and the scenic beauty of Charmadi made the drive relatively smooth.
On October 20th, left Manipal at 1:15 PM and reached Bangalore at 9:30 PM via Karkala-Dharamsthala-Shiradi-Hassan. We stopped for 45 minutes in Sakleshpura. After ascending the ghats, the road for about 12 kilometers is still under construction. There's a high risk of landslides in this area if it rains, but hopefully, appropriate measures will be taken to stabilize the soil in certain sections. Near Nelmangala, I encountered a 2-kilometer traffic jam where NH 75 merges with NH 4. Heavy weekend traffic, rain, and poor management at the intersection caused me to lose approximately 30 minutes. It was raining heaving from Sakleshpura all the way to Bangalore.
Old 22nd October 2024, 05:13   #10023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen4477 View Post
"I departed Hassan at 6 AM on October 19th and arrived in Manipal at 1:45 PM via Hassan-Belur-Charmadi-Ujire-Karkala.

On October 20th, left Manipal at 1:15 PM and reached Bangalore at 9:30 PM via Karkala-Dharamsthala-Shiradi-Hassan.
Now, that you have traversed the 2 major ghat options for M'lore, which would you advise for a sedan?
Old 22nd October 2024, 08:23   #10024

As of now no big difference between them, probably shiradi is marginally better for sedan.
Old 22nd October 2024, 15:49   #10025
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to travel to Kundapura this weekend and would like to know about the road condition via Tumkur - Hosadurga - Tarikere - Theerthahalli - Agumbe. I usually travel via Hassan-Chikmagalur-Agumbe but the road condition has deteriorated recently. Google shows a different route connecting Belur to Aldur directly too bypassing chikmagalur and my God, it's in shambles.

Contemplating which route to take this time. Should it be Via Hosadurga - Tarikere -Theerthahalli or Via Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Theerthahalli? There is another route via Tumkur - Kadur as well.
Old 23rd October 2024, 21:53   #10026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Serenity View Post
Hi All,

Planning to travel to Kundapura this weekend and would like to know about the road condition via Tumkur - Hosadurga - Tarikere - Theerthahalli - Agumbe. I usually travel via Hassan-Chikmagalur-Agumbe but the road condition has deteriorated recently. Google shows a different route connecting Belur to Aldur directly too bypassing chikmagalur and my God, it's in shambles.

Contemplating which route to take this time. Should it be Via Hosadurga - Tarikere -Theerthahalli or Via Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Theerthahalli? There is another route via Tumkur - Kadur as well.
I took the trip from Bangalore to Kundapura during the beginning of the month. I did the Bangalore > CR Patna > Arasikere > Bhadra dam > Tirthahalli > Agumbe > Kundapura. The usual good tarmac until CR Patna (I encountered crazy weekend traffic as I left around 8 AM) Roads till Bhadra dam is good with a few 4/6 lane highway stretches inbetween, passes through some towns inbetween which slows you down and there are some small patches of bad roads but easily manageable. Road from Bhadra to Tirthahalli has some potholes and is not in great shape but we easily managed in a low GC Hatch so should not be a problem. Roads post Tirthahalli is amazing and a driver's paradise.
karthikkv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2024, 23:02   #10027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen4477 View Post
As of now no big difference between them, probably shiradi is marginally better for sedan.
Based on this post, I took the Shiradi today. Here is the entire stretch from Sakleshpur until the beginning of the concrete road, covered in 20 minutes. But the video is only 10 minutes since I uploaded in 2X speed. Play in 0.5 speed to see the actual pace.

It is not that bad actually, sedans can do it.

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2024, 12:25   #10028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
stretch from Sakleshpur until the beginning of the concrete road
How is it from Gundya till the diversion to Dharmasthala?

Or if you drove straight towards Uppinangady, is that any better than 2 months ago?
Old 24th October 2024, 12:53   #10029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
How is it from Gundya till the diversion to Dharmasthala?
From Gundya untill the diversion to Dharmasthala is good with cleared stretches of new 4 lane roads.

Not sure about the road till Uppinangady though.
Old 24th October 2024, 14:41   #10030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Serenity View Post
Not sure about the road till Uppinangady though.
I turn at Uppinangady towards GV kere, it was quite ok. Nothing comes close to the sakleshpur-marenahalli section.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2024, 12:28   #10031
BHPian

This is more of a weather question. Is this a good time to drive and visit below mentioned places?

Planning to drive to Udupi on Wednesday from Bangalore and then spend weekend sightseeing across Udupi,Gangolli,Murudeshwara,Kumta,Gokarna etc

I am asking this because I am unsure about the prevailing rain conditions in this belt. Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks