Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2024, 15:13   #9871

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I'm fixing to drive to Bangalore from Mangalore during the last week of May and return on 1st week of June in a hatchback (i20).

Google shows 3 routes :

1. Bangalore - Kunigal - Chennarayapatna - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Shirady - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 75 -73)
2. Bangalore - Kunigal - Chennarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Ujire - Bantwal - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 75 -73)
3. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullia - Puttur - Mani - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 275-75-73)

I'm planning on leaving at 5 am from Bangalore, road conditions are important, time taken is not.

Which would be the best choice? I prefer wider roads in good condition.
Old 16th May 2024, 07:08   #9872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergeek View Post
1. Bangalore - Kunigal - Chennarayapatna - Hassan - Sakleshpura - Shirady - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 75 -73)
2. Bangalore - Kunigal - Chennarayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Ujire - Bantwal - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 75 -73)
3. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje - Sullia - Puttur - Mani - B.C. Road - Mangalore (via Hwy 275-75-73)
To M'lore, the second route is best as of now, if you can manage some rough stretch between Ujire > Punjalkatte.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 07:36   #9873
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I'm fixing to drive to Bangalore from Mangalore during the last week of May and return on 1st week of June in a hatchback (i20).

Google shows 3 routes :

I'm planning on leaving at 5 am from Bangalore, road conditions are important, time taken is not.

My last two trips to Mangalore from Bangalore have been through route 3. Good roads throughout (except for one deviation due to a fly over construction near Kalladka).

Also, Mysore Road is closer to my home and that swings it too. If I were to take option 2, which is also good roads, it takes a whole lot longer to get home from Nelamangala crossing.

You can choose 2 or 3 basis where in Bangalore is your final place of halt.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 08:26   #9874
BHPian

Quote:

Google shows 3 routes :

... , road conditions are important, time taken is not.

... I prefer wider roads in good condition.
If road quality is the priority, then definitely Route 2
via Mysore and Madikeri.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 09:04   #9875
BHPian

Quote:

Google shows 3 routes :

You can explore another option :

Bangalore - Hassana - Sakleshpura - Gundya - Kaikamba - Kadaba - Alangar - Kudmar - Puttur - Mani - Kalladka - Mangalore

Slightly longer, but avoids all bad stretches between Gundya to Mani.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 12:12   #9876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
We (2 families) are traveling to Kundapura this weekend and were looking for help on :
1. Route option
2. Good restaurants (Clean restrooms mandatory)

Google shows 2 routes :
1. Bangalore - Kunigal - Chennarayapatna - Agumbe - Kundapura
2. Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Kundapura.

Based on road conditions, what would be the best option to pick? Please suggest
I have done Route 1 recently and it's been awesome.
Old 21st May 2024, 11:20   #9877
BHPian

I travelled over the weekend to Kaup via Hassan-Sakleshpura-Dharmasthala-Padubidri using Shiradi ghat. Most parts were fine, both times encountered around 30 mins of bad patches due to expansion work going on. Overall took around 8 hrs both times with a 30min break. While it did rain over the weekend, it didnt make much of a difference.

Road between Dharmasthala-Karkala is mostly two lane although in good condition.

Work happening near Kukke Subramanya exit, so stop may take less or more time depending upon luck.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st May 2024 at 11:47. Reason: Minor typo correction
Old 2nd June 2024, 21:55   #9878
BHPian

I travelled from Mangalore to Bangalore via Shiradi Ghat. Except for the on going work between BC road to Mani, I felt the stretch is OK. The work in this small stretch is really slow and kalladka junction is the worst section.
Took the bypass at Sakleshpur and from there on its smooth and double road.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 22:46   #9879
Team-BHP Support

I travelled from Manipal to Bangalore last week on a route I haven't taken in years.

Manipal-Hiriyadka-Agumbe-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore.

Damn, I had forgotten how much of a twister this route is... I simply couldn't make use of the superior sprinting prowess of my Diesel Tucson in this narrow road with too many curves.

Plus, I tried to go directly from Aldur to Belur, but made a stupid wrong turn at Handi, and was soon wondering why Belur looked more like Chikmagalur. Well, because it WAS Chikmagalur!!!

Anyway, eventually I ended up driving one extra hour than the usual Shiradi route.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 14:05   #9880
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Planning to go to Mangalore and then Udupi for a week. what would be the best road to avoid ghats as I have vertigo and would prefer avoiding twisty roads.

Also any good restaurants on the way with western style washrooms?
Old 3rd June 2024, 14:31   #9881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
Planning to go to Mangalore and then Udupi for a week. what would be the best road to avoid ghats as I have vertigo and would prefer avoiding twisty roads.

Bangalore is on Deccan Plateau at an altitude of around 3000 ft above sea level and Mangalore is at Sea level. So irrespective of the route you take, somewhere you have to cross the ghats. There's no option to avoid ghats.

Of all the ghats, I think Shiradi ghats offer the least twisty roads. Charmadi is definitely more twistier.

Most of the good restaurants on the way have western style washrooms. Indian style washrooms have almost vanished except for some very old restaurants.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 14:36   #9882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
So irrespective of the route you take, somewhere you have to cross the ghats.
I tried the Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore route last month as I had a wedding to attend in Madikeri and then needed to go to Mangalore. I've used Shiradi and Charmadi quite a bit in the past, and even tried the route through Agumbe a couple of times. While I'm not entirely certain, but the twisty road section on the Madikeri route seemed lesser compared to either Shiradi or Charmadi?

More frequent travelers can comment/correct.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd June 2024 at 14:38.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 15:02   #9883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is no way avoid to ghats on the way to Mangalore. Shiradi is the gentlest thanks to wide roads, just drive slowly.

Quote:
There are plenty of them until Sakleshpur. After that it becomes scarce.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 13:53   #9884
BHPian

Quote:

Taking the train would be a good option. The trains descends the ghats very slowly and it should be way better than going by road.

Once you reach Mangalore, traveling anywhere along the coast should not be a problem at all. There are multiple travel options.
Old 10th June 2024, 21:47   #9885
BHPian

I’m planning to visit Dharmasthala this week. Can someone recommend which route do I take? Good roads are my preference. Previously I used to take charmadi ghat, but I’ve read that there’s work going on and might not be a good choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks