Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 14:48   #961
Senior - BHPian

zteg, once you reach "ujre" you can either connect to NH48 via Dharmasthala or continue in the same road which will take you to BC road.

Kaupu is a nice beach, that is if you dont want to get down to the water...

Samurai even i would want to know about the quiet/calm/clean beaches...there is a good beach near my grandmother's place(udupi).
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-beach2.jpg  

Old 1st September 2009, 15:33   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which SUV you drive? Because this is a tall order to do in a car in this season with the current state of roads. Many of my relatives who love their cars, don't take it out, instead they use taxi.
From Bangalore to Udupi, i will drive my Honda ANHC. I do not want to visit the regular places (the ones mentioned by me before). I will preferably travel using local taxi or public transport.

Quote:
Many. Contact me when you are here.
i will contact you when i am there, may be we can meet for a coffee some where in Manipal.

As of now i plan to visit following areas

1. Mangalore Port, Kaup Beach (not for swimming), Kasargod fort
2. Kullur temple, a back-pack trekking on Kodachadri range
3. Visiting Heritage Home, meeting with Japanese warrior and few more friends in Manipal
4. Water Rafting in Seeta river near Hebri (i just found it on web, need to check whether this is indeed available)
5. other plans are being worked out.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:58   #963
BHPian

Star,
I think you meant Kollur Mookambika temple.

Also, since you are coming to Mangalore to see the port, you can plan to go to Pilikula. They have a snake & deer park as well as some water sport. I have'nt visited this place, but heard about it during our visit to Mangalore. You can also plan to see

1. Kadri Temple
2. Srimanthi Bai Museum (Mirajkar Bunglow) in Bejai.
3. 1000 pillar Jain Basadi in Moodabidri.
4. On your way back, maybe you should plan to see Sringeri / Horanadu
Old 1st September 2009, 16:09   #964

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Well written Sandeep. I thought the Kushalnagar madikeri road was horrible and not drivable. Looks like this is a more convenient route. Do you have any idea about the charmadi route.?
How good is the road at BC road strech when compared to Sakleshpur mani route?
Kushalnagar - Madikeri road is manageable. Certainly better than the Sakleshpur stretches.

No idea about the Charmadi route. I had heard on this forum that it was fairly ok - but some people in Hassan said it would be about the same or slightly better - but with a lot more truck traffic. But this is hearsay.

Sakleshpur - Mani is 'roughly' (pun intended) as bad as BC road. Difference - BC roads sometimes tempts you with stretches of good road... so you pick up speed and start singing a song... and then suddenly, before you can brake, you hit a massive pothole, fear you'll meet your tyres inside your car cabin and then sing curses in honour of our country's politicians, the highway authorities and their uncles. Sakleshpur - Mani doesn't give you reason to hope, so you are covered there - uniform grumbling.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:11   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHARA-CHARMADI-UJIRE-MADYANTHAR-B C ROAD-MLR.
A total of apprx 365kms from Mangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
zteg, once you reach "ujre" you can either connect to NH48 via Dharmasthala or continue in the same road which will take you to BC road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Star,

Also, since you are coming to Mangalore to see the port, you can plan to go to Pilikula. They have a snake & deer park as well as some water sport. I have'nt visited this place, but heard about it during our visit to Mangalore.
In the route highlighted, are there further diversions or is it just a straight road. Are there any chances ofgetting lost? Thats the last thing one would want.

There is nothing in the dear and snake park. Because of monsoon, they would be moved elsewhere. The manasa water park is very small infact. In 2 hrs you can actually do all the rides atleast 20times Its smaller than GRS, mysore.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:11   #966
Senior - BHPian

Star quiet a few things in your to do list

Adding to prabhu's list...Pilikula is a nice place.

In temples.. Pollali, Katil, Anegude can be added

How can you miss "Ideals" & Pabaas hehe i never get bored of these places
Old 1st September 2009, 16:13   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Sandeep,
Some distance mentioned here are wrong.
It's as mentioned below

Blr - Hassan - 184Kms
Sakleshpur - Mani (approx 80 kms)
Mysore - Bangalore -140 kms
Math never liked me. Sorry about that. But basic info on the stretches is accurate.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:16   #968
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep after reading your post am more confused, now i think i should take Madikeri route

Also even the BC road stretch doesn't seem to be that horrifying?

Last edited by lohithrao : 1st September 2009 at 16:19.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:20   #969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai even i would want to know about the quiet/calm/clean beaches...there is a good beach near my grandmother's place(udupi).
I know few more than seen here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...out-beach.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
From Bangalore to Udupi, i will drive my Honda ANHC.
Aha! the 160mm fun, just avoid NH17 entirely.

Quote:
3. Visiting Heritage Home, meeting with Japanese warrior and few more friends in Manipal
If you can manage to get permission to enter Heritage Village, take me too.

Quote:
4. Water Rafting in Seeta river near Hebri (i just found it on web, need to check whether this is indeed available)
You mean this one: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-page-2-a.html
Old 1st September 2009, 16:40   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep after reading your post am more confused, now i think i should take Madikeri route

Also even the BC road stretch doesn't seem to be that horrifying?
I was actually wondering "Why am I the only one who is confused?"

Now I see i got company. I havent decided which route to take. I will decide by tomorrrow night. I am more inclined towards the madikeri route after reading Sandeep's posts.

There is no chance of getting lost

Last edited by Samurai : 1st September 2009 at 18:06. Reason: two smilie limit
Old 1st September 2009, 17:23   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Star,
I think you meant Kollur Mookambika temple.

Also, since you are coming to Mangalore to see the port, you can plan to go to Pilikula. They have a snake & deer park as well as some water sport. I have'nt visited this place, but heard about it during our visit to Mangalore. You can also plan to see

1. Kadri Temple
2. Srimanthi Bai Museum (Mirajkar Bunglow) in Bejai.
3. 1000 pillar Jain Basadi in Moodabidri.
4. On your way back, maybe you should plan to see Sringeri / Horanadu

Thanks Satish, I will include first 3 in the probable list
My aunt lives in Sringeri, several of my vacations during childhood have been spent in Sringeri,

Quote:
In the route highlighted, are there further diversions or is it just a straight road. Are there any chances ofgetting lost? Thats the last thing one would want.

There is nothing in the dear and snake park. Because of monsoon, they would be moved elsewhere. The manasa water park is very small infact. In 2 hrs you can actually do all the rides atleast 20times Its smaller than GRS, mysore.
Thanks zteg, i have seen one of the largest snake park in Katraj pune
and anyway i don't like snakes, so i will skip this deer + snake + water park.

Quote:
Star quiet a few things in your to do list

Adding to prabhu's list...Pilikula is a nice place.
In temples.. Pollali, Katil, Anegude can be added
How can you miss "Ideals" & Pabaas hehe i never get bored of these places
yes, Lot to see and do, i have approx 8 days (10 minus one day each for to and fro journey) let me make a final list and then prioritise.
ofcourse some ideals would be visited.

Anegudde temple used to be a regular, but not visited over last 3 years.
it is very close to maternal uncle's home. would visit when i go there.

regarding others, I do not want to make the trip "too religious", hence keep some temples for future trips.

Quote:
I know few more than seen here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...out-beach.html

Aha! the 160mm fun, just avoid NH17 entirely.

If you can manage to get permission to enter Heritage Village, take me too.

You mean this one: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-page-2-a.html

Yes, the same, i never knew there is a travellogue on this already in T-BHP. I also see my friend Hari (Lukeskywalker) has already been there done that.

yes, 160mm luxury on wheels would be my ride, but i intend to make the local travel using the local transport.
Old 1st September 2009, 17:55   #972

Quote:
I was actually wondering "Why am I the only one who is confused?"

Now I see i got company. I havent decided which route to take. I will decide by tomorrrow night. I am more inclined towards the madikeri route after reading Sandeep's posts.

There is no chance of getting lost
happy to add to the confusion! i aim to please!

other things that works in favour of the madikeri route:

You don't have to negotiate the stretch b/w bangalore city to nelamangala. that itself is exhausting taking upto an hour, or more in the evenings when trucks line up on one lane. on the madikeri route, you can be on the fast road to mysore within 20 mins from city centre.

you have 2 x 2 lane highway all the way to mysore and fairly wide roads all the way to Kushalnagar. The highway to Hassan, though good by standards of roads that come later, is still relatively narrow.

(anybody would think i am mayor of Madikeri the way i am advocating it. i am. )

Last edited by Samurai : 1st September 2009 at 18:05. Reason: 2 smilie limit
Old 1st September 2009, 18:11   #973
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep, also i believe the road surface is not that great on NH48 presently and due to the 4lane work its risky at some places ..
Old 1st September 2009, 18:32   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Sandeep, also i believe the road surface is not that great on NH48 presently and due to the 4lane work its risky at some places ..
So lohith, Have you decided the route ?
The only thing for me that doesnt work in favour of the madikeri route is that, I have driven on mysore road N number of times and am bored of Bangalore Mysore road.
This time I got my bro for company. I will ask him to do the Bangalore Mysore road if i am taking that route

@Samurai, Sorry for the extra smiley. Didnt notice it. Will take care next time

Last edited by zteg : 1st September 2009 at 18:34.
Old 1st September 2009, 19:31   #975
BHPian

Quote:
As of now you should suggest this route only to your arch enemies. This would be a very bad idea now.

Here is the best way to travel from Udupi to Madikeri, and it is 20kms shorter too.

Udupi-Manipal-Karkala-Moodubidri-Bantwal-join NH48-Mani-Puttur-Sullia-Sampaje-Madikeri.

The NH48 between B.C road and Mangalore and then NH17 between Mangalore and Udupi is so bad, it will blow your mind. Just avoid it.
Thank You both Samurai and dkamath I think I will take the route as suggested by Samurai makes better sense as my native place is Manipal. . In terms of time how much time should we plan for the distance from Manipal to Madikeri. Is this dooable within 4 hours given the condition of the roads.
Also the route as seen in google maps from Madikeri to wayanad is.
Madikeri - Murned SH 27 - Chickpet- SH 88B- Virajpet- SH88A- Gonikoppa - Ponnampet- Kutta - Kaatikkulam - HDKottey Road- Kuruwa Island- Pepper Green Resorts. Distance shown as 105 kms. Should take around 2.5 hours accounting for the interior roads.
I have made reservation at Pepper green Resorts at Wayanad and was pleased to receive a warm welcome from their manager on mention of Team Bhp affiliation and offered hefty discount as well.If possible I also plan to visit Madhumalai reserve during my stay there.
My itenary is as follows
I am planning to leave mumbai on the 14th of October at arounf 5 am to reach Manipal by 7 pm.
15th and 16th visit Kudremukh- sringeri-hornadu with night halt at sringeri.
17th and 18th celebrate Diwali with family at Manipal.
19th leave for Wayanad via Madikeri.
20th to 23rd at wayanad and if possible - Bandipur - Madhumalai
24th return back to Manipal.
25th leave back for Mumbai.
Will post the details of my trip along with photos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks