Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2023, 17:58   #9721

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulLOTR View Post
Hello folks.. Planning a drive tomorrow from bangalore to Udupi.. Read through the last few pages and torn between Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Sulia Any thoughts?
Did this route. Went via Charmadi from bangalore. Lovely roads. 99% of them were perfect. And my oh my the sedan was planted and i was cruising throughout the session. I actually drove from Bangalore to Belur and then stayed overnight at a hotel and left around 3AM from Belur to Udupi.

Return journey after a few days was via Madikeri since we had to make a stop at mysore. The first half of the journey till Mysore was AMAZING and in Sports mode I was blazing through the road. Once madikeri passed, sunset happened and the entire ride became a road to hell. With a million cars heading towards madikeri/mangalore for the long weekend, we were constantly blasted with high beams. There was a line of 50 cars one behind the other atleast 2-3 areas and i would have hated to be stuck at the rear end of those queues. Thank god we were going opposite.

Lovely trip and the merc held it's own and in Sports mode it shed it's entire weight. The E class felt like a go kart... Would be doing this a few more times in 2024 whenever i get a weekend all to myself....
Old 25th December 2023, 21:23   #9722
BHPian

Word of advice to anyone travelling from Bangalore to mangalore or vice versa. If you want to preserve your mental health and maintain sanity please avoid the Shiradi shakleshpur route at all costs. Just did this drive and I have vowed to never go via this route again. It feels like the biggest regret of my life at this point because I’ve always driven via Charmadi since a few years and this time thought I’ll come via Shiradi considering Charmadi was bad when I drove down to mangalore few days back. Charmadi is way way better even with the bad stretches. But Shiradi felt like I was going on an Off-road mountain trek. The car will loose a lot of life going through this stretch as well and I am not exaggerating any of this.
blackbandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 22:46   #9723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Word of advice to anyone travelling from Bangalore to mangalore or vice versa. If you want to preserve your mental health and maintain sanity please avoid the Shiradi shakleshpur route at all costs.
I cannot say it better. Had travelled in Sept previously via Charmadi ghat.
Somehow fell for Google's insistence on saving 30 mins by using Sakleshwar-Shiradi-Mangalore route.

Absolute nightmare with horrible roads, so much work going on and the heavy vehicles I lined up behind. Every local in an alto deems he is a F1 driver and your larger German sedan is a show piece to be tailgated and over taken.

Had to get my car washed after reaching Mangalore. My white car was a reddish mess.

Came back via Madikeri - Mysore - Blr. Lot better in terms of road surface.
As people have called out plenty of traffic and with idiots trying to overtake impatiently, it is quite task to have a steady pace or pleasant dirve.
Old 25th December 2023, 23:23   #9724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
I cannot say it better. Had travelled in Sept previously via Charmadi ghat.
Somehow fell for Google's insistence on saving 30 mins by using Sakleshwar-Shiradi-Mangalore route…
The route is easily an hour more than Charmadi. Google is not trustworthy in this case (and many other cases as well). I do Bangalore to mangalore and back almost every alternate month and I start at the same time and have the same schedule. Today I was almost an hour and half late. Let’s not even talk about the frustration gathered by me as well as the passengers. At one point I just wanted to teleport the car back to my home. They should just put a warning board that says “no roads ahead proceed with caution” at this point in BC road .

My brand new black car looks like I’ve just picked it up from the scrapyard at the moment
Old 26th December 2023, 07:18   #9725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Word of advice to anyone travelling from Bangalore to mangalore or vice versa. But Shiradi felt like I was going on an Off-road mountain trek.
Where exactly are these pain points? Is it between Gundya <> BC Road?

From what I got from other posts, the stretch between Hassan <> Gundya is as good as before, with some diversions between Hassan <> Sakleshpur and Shiradi ghat section being good.
Old 26th December 2023, 11:19   #9726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Where exactly are these pain points? Is it between Gundya <> BC Road?

From what I got from other posts, the stretch between Hassan <> Gundya is as good as before, with some diversions between Hassan <> Sakleshpur and Shiradi ghat section being good.
BC road to Gundya is in ruins you won’t find a decent stretch of road anywhere here. The Shiradi ghats roads are really good. The moment you exit Shiradi ghats till Shaklespur the roads are again in ruins. After that it’s okay. The overall journey till Hassan is very stressful. In comparison the route from Charmadi Belur is very peaceful. Only a small stretch of road from Madantyar to Charmadi work is going on which is bearable. The ghats as well as the Mudigere Belur roads are in good condition.

Last edited by blackbandit : 26th December 2023 at 11:20.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:21   #9727
BHPian

The route I generally take is via Hassan-Belur-Charmadi or via Sakleshpur-Nelyadi-Dharmastala.

For a change this time I went via Shiradi - BC road - Mangalore. This is clearly the worst option among all . The road condition is bad due to the ongoing widening, generally higher traffic than other routes, massive jam at Kalladka (worse is vehicles jumping queues), Nantoor junction in Mangalore gives a homely feeling to people from Bangalore. I am not going to take this route till the construction is complete. Cleaning the car was another pain.
Old 26th December 2023, 17:50   #9728

Did Bangalore-Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sullia-Jalsoor-Mulleria-Kasargod-Mangalore on 23rd December as i had to make a stop at Kasargod. Started at 5:15 am. Did encounter light traffic near Nice road exit on mysore road and reasonable traffic on expressway. Till jalsoor the roads are good, jalsoor to muleria, narrow roads with occasional potholes. Reached at 11:30 am and post lunch started to mangalore; the whole highway from kasargod to mangalore till Manjeshwara is under construction so patience and brakes are required in abundance. Took 1 hr 45 mins to reach pumpwell mangalore. Pace of construction indicates its another year before we can actually use this road with ease.

Returned on 25th took Mangalore-Shiradi ghat-Hassan-Bangalore; started at 5:15 am and reached home at 11 am; BC road to gundya is horrible, there are large sections motorable paths missing near kalladka and nelyadi may be in night they had watered the mud track (road is not the word we can use) so i didnt face the dust issue but there is no peace of mind till hassan; its as if you pass one stage of construction to another in an endless loop. Shiradi ghat is getting a major makeover, we should avoid using this route unless there is no other alternative.
naveen4477 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 08:35   #9729
BHPian

Did a Blore-Mlore-Blore trip on 25th and 26th via Charmadi. The section from Charmadi to Madantyar is a pain now with endless traffic and road widening work going on in between. I used to cross this section in the dark hours to avoid traffic but with road work being done now, it will be a risk. I presume I will only visit Mlore after a year once the Shirady section is motorable.
Old 28th December 2023, 08:04   #9730
BHPian

Hi..

Any recommendations on Indian Oil COCO pump en route from Sringeri to Mangalore via Karkala?

If not then any Indian Oil COCO on the Mangalore to Murudeshwar stretch? This will also work

Thanks

Vikram

Last edited by vikramv4u : 28th December 2023 at 08:10. Reason: Added additional piece of info into the same
Old 28th December 2023, 13:16   #9731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
If not then any Indian Oil COCO on the Mangalore to Murudeshwar stretch?
Not Indian Oil - Bharat Petroleum.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yQAvfyPN7R8hAYwP6
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 22:56   #9732
Distinguished - BHPian

Bisle Route:

Two weeks back I took the Bisle route and its good except for some small stretches. I took right after Uppinangady and proceeded towards Bisle ghats. From here we took Kudrasthe, Hethur, took a right from Hethur(this stretch is narrow but very less traffic) and joined the highway at Ballupet. Overall, this route is good and can be taken if you are ok with the additional distance.

Last edited by arun_josie : 28th December 2023 at 22:58.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 09:27   #9733
BHPian

Quote:
Hi..

Any recommendations on Indian Oil COCO pump en route from Sringeri to Mangalore via Karkala?
You can try MRPL, they are equally good.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:26   #9734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
You can try MRPL, they are equally good.
Any idea what octane petrol they sell ? 91 or 93 or 95 ? "Regular fuel" in all PSU bunks is supposed to be 91 octane.
Old 29th December 2023, 21:36   #9735
BHPian

Quote:
Hi..

If not then any Indian Oil COCO on the Mangalore to Murudeshwar stretch? This will also work
Found one IOC COCO today, if anyone find it useful. It's just after the Udyavar bridge while going North from Mangalore. Almost 100%, but not fully 100%, location is this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/akZT2KfaNTXm6QRZ9

Feel free to correct me.

Thanks

Vikram

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th December 2023 at 08:36. Reason: Minor clean up edits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks