Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2023, 19:42   #9706
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedup View Post
Whether charmadi route also is full of road widening work?
No, they is no road widening work on Charmadi ghat. There is some between Ujire and charmadi though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
We're travelling in 2 low GC sedan + hatch combo and have kids onboard who are sort of sensitive to ghat roads, so trying to avoid Charmadi.
The route you are proposing to take has twice as much twisters compared to Charmadi, that is before and after Madikeri. Not a good idea if your passengers are sensitive to ghat roads. Stick to charmadi.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:42   #9707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If your start point is Dharmasthala, than the only other alternative is charmadi. There are no road widening happening in the charmadi ghats. Distance difference is also NOT much.
The charmadi ghat road is awesome. However post that lot of road widening work is on on the entire stretch. my black GT turned reddish brown by the time I got back to Blr.

the stretch between Kakkinji, Ujire, Belthangady is quite doable but lot of stretches under construction.
Old 19th December 2023, 08:06   #9708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
The charmadi ghat road is awesome. However post that lot of road widening work is on on the entire stretch. my black GT turned reddish brown by the time I got back to Blr.
So, where exactly is this construction happening? From what I know, there is a 4 lane between BC Road <> Punjalkatte. Is this from Punjalkatte <> Ujire?
Also, how is the stretch after Charmadi towards Hassan?
Old 19th December 2023, 14:40   #9709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, where exactly is this construction happening? From what I know, there is a 4 lane between BC Road <> Punjalkatte. Is this from Punjalkatte <> Ujire?
Also, how is the stretch after Charmadi towards Hassan?
Yes that is correct. past Ujire till you close in on the Charmadi. Charmadi onwards to Hassan is very good. For the occasional pot hole here and there. Even that they were in the process of patching it up.
Old 19th December 2023, 17:57   #9710

Hello folks.. Planning a drive tomorrow from bangalore to Udupi.. Read through the last few pages and torn between Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Sulia - Mangalore - Udupi - Takes 9 Hours.. Done that road a few times last year and loved the butter smooth roads and the twisties...

Friend keeps recommending the other route via hassa - belur - charamdy - Karkala and i recall doing that only once - back in 2016 and i didn't like it much Coz of the truck traffic and the bad roads...

I am leaving bangalore around 8PM and planning to reach by 5 AM and Fog might be a factor..
And i am driving my merc for the first time on this long drive (it's done bangalore mysore only till now) - was wondering if i should stick to the mysore madikeri route and enjoy the higher average speeds.. Any thoughts?
Old 20th December 2023, 12:41   #9711
BHPian

Hi All,
We are travelling to Padubidri next week, couple of cars with families. All of us driving first time in this region. After going through last couple of pages, Charmadi route seems to be the best for our route. Need few more inputs for planning from local bhpians.

1. What would be a good place to stop for lunch (veg) between Charmadi and Karkala, before we reach the destination ?

2. How are the parking spaces around Udupi Krishna temple ? Any specific spots you recommend?

3. While we are in Udupi, please suggest a good place for vegetarian lunch, gadbad icecreams etc. Social media throws up lot of options, but prefer the ones frequented by bhpians.

4. How are the roads to Delta beach/Kodi Bengre ? Is it doable comfortably in a car ? Asking because it looks like a small strip of land in the maps and I am always apprehensive about these beach roads - narrow roads, speeding bikers/cars , parking difficulties etc I would rather avoid visiting such places if it is not convenient.

5. Long long time ago, I had heard from a Udupi local friend, about Kudru, small villages on scenic islands in the backwaters. Any such kudru island that is open for public now and also easily approachable ?

5. COCO or good fuel pumps around Udupi/Padubidri or enroute Charmadi, for topping up fuel for the return journey?
Old 21st December 2023, 13:46   #9712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulLOTR View Post
Hello folks.. Planning a drive tomorrow from bangalore to Udupi.. Read through the last few pages and torn between Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Sulia - Mangalore - Udupi
Did the Madikeri route on Tuesday night. Zero fog. Left home at 10.30pm and reached Udupi at 7am. Roads are great and if you prefer driving at night, this option is quite good. Very little traffic, but it was a Tuesday and weekends might be a different story.
Old 21st December 2023, 17:03   #9713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
1. What would be a good place to stop for lunch (veg) between Charmadi and Karkala, before we reach the destination ?
Nothing specific I can recommend since I rarely break for lunch in this stretch. But there are good options around Ujire, beltangady and Karkala. Ocean Pearl in Ujire is the most luxurious one.

Quote:
2. How are the parking spaces around Udupi Krishna temple ? Any specific spots you recommend?
The temple has a big parking lot.

Quote:
3. While we are in Udupi, please suggest a good place for vegetarian lunch, gadbad icecreams etc. Social media throws up lot of options, but prefer the ones frequented by bhpians.
Woodlands, Kidiyoor, Pai Tiffins...

Quote:
4. How are the roads to Delta beach/Kodi Bengre ? Is it doable comfortably in a car ?
It is easily doable, roads are pretty good usually. Not much traffic.

Quote:
5. Long long time ago, I had heard from a Udupi local friend, about Kudru, small villages on scenic islands in the backwaters. Any such kudru island that is open for public now and also easily approachable ?
Kudru means river island. They are private land, you can't just go there, unless connected by bridge.

Here is an river island resort you can book in advance: http://kingofkingspicnic.com

Quote:
5. COCO or good fuel pumps around Udupi/Padubidri or enroute Charmadi, for topping up fuel for the return journey?
There are plenty on NH66.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 22:05   #9714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the location for a BPCL COCO,https://maps.app.goo.gl/YVrJnsMTWgHDaE8D7
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:50   #9715
BHPian

Reports of a bad jam and detour near Kalladka a day or two ago as per another traveller going to Mangalore.
Just a heads up.

I'm planning a drive through Charmadi (BLR - MLR) soon.
I heard that route was trouble free this morning.
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:58   #9716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Reports of a bad jam and detour near Kalladka a day or two ago as per another traveller going to Mangalore.
Just a heads up.

I'm planning a drive through Charmadi (BLR - MLR) soon.
I heard that route was trouble free this morning.
Charmadi roads are not good either as of now. With on going expansion works the stretch between madantyar and Charmadi is quite bad.
I was thinking of trying the shiradi route on my way back to Bangalore but hearing that it is still not improved I think we are left with not many options.
Old 24th December 2023, 16:07   #9717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Charmadi roads are not good either as of now. With on going expansion works the stretch between madantyar and Charmadi is quite bad.
This is sad state of affairs. Which of these 2 is lesser evil? Gundya <> BC Road OR Madanthyar <> Charmadi?
Old 24th December 2023, 16:20   #9718
BHPian

Quote:
This is sad state of affairs. Which of these 2 is lesser evil? Gundya <> BC Road OR Madanthyar <> Charmadi?
I have driven both of these earlier this month.
The Charmadi - Madanthyar is definitely more motorable than the Gundya - BC Road stretch. The Charmadi - Madanthyar section that is being worked on is much shorter too.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 17:27   #9719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was forced to do BCRoad-Gundya yesterday since I had go via Mangalore. OMG, that was a proper nightmare.

But Charmady would have been kind of nightmare yesterday because of the on-coming traffic from Bangalore. Even Shiradi was bad, almost a convoy coming down from the opposite side, but it is wider.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 08:03   #9720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
That is correct, you should select Executive Chair Car in the Yeswanthpur Mangalore Special train, it is not a daily train and we travelled in Thursday from BLR to MLR.
Going to try booking Tatkal tickets for Karwar Express for tomorrow. I see two premium options. Should I select CC as an option or EV for Vistadome?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks