Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:29   #9586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

+ 1. Pls use Belur-Charmady-Ujjire to get to Udupi. Good roads all through.

NICE road Tumkur Road exit, onto elevated flyover and then onto the Hassan highway turnoff.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 11:29   #9587
BHPian

The following video shows that the Shiradi ghat road to Mangalore is very doable. Can anyone comment on its current state? Approximately how much rumbling should one expect?

For Udupi, is it better to do Shiradi and then take a diversion through Dharmasthala?

Hoping to avoid Charmadi as it can be a little unpredictable during the rains. Madikeri route could become a bit too long. Another reason to prefer Shiradi is that I have 3yo who doesn't like twisties.

Old 5th July 2023, 12:14   #9588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroydsilva View Post
The following video shows that the Shiradi ghat road to Mangalore is very doable. Can anyone comment on its current state? Approximately how much rumbling should one expect?
I have been travelling frequently via Shiradi. Travelled last Tuesday, the road between Sakaleshapura and Donigal is in good condition. But I can't comment on construction work ongoing between Gundya and BC Road. I generally take left at Gundya and travel to Puttur to avoid ongoing construction work, little longer but smooth and comfortable.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 10:16   #9589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
But I can't comment on construction work ongoing between Gundya and BC Road. I generally take left at Gundya and travel to Puttur to avoid ongoing construction work, little longer but smooth and comfortable.
Do you mean you head towards Uppinangady and then take left towards Puttur or do you take the left towards Subramanya and go via Kadaba?

Could you share the route you take?
Old 6th July 2023, 10:35   #9590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Do you mean you head towards Uppinangady and then take left towards Puttur or do you take the left towards Subramanya and go via Kadaba?

Could you share the route you take?
I take left at Gundya and then take right towards Uppinangady befor Kukke Subramanya, Take left at Alankar junction, take right at Kudmar and go to Puttur.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route.jpg  

DetectiveMiles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 11:18   #9591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
I take left at Gundya and then take right towards Uppinangady befor Kukke Subramanya, Take left at Alankar junction, take right at Kudmar and go to Puttur.
Thanks, buddy! Will take this route next week! I checked the street view on GMaps and the roads look really good.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 15:30   #9592

Travelled from Mangalore to Bengaluru yesterday via Shirady Ghat. Stretch of roads till Kalladka is not that great. Having said that, this felt much better when compared against the road conditions between Uppinangady and Sakleshpur.

Having said that, once you see the Ghats in their prime glory with greenery spread all around, it does make you forget the tumultuous roads that you have just tread through.

I travelled in a Hatchback and had to watch out for few deep craters (calling them a pothole is not fair).
udidecoy.2302 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 20:34   #9593
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I'm about to become a regular on this thread. My son has been offered admission at Manipal Institute of Technology, and his reporting date there is 17/7 (coming Monday). We plan to start from Bangalore on 16/7, early morning so that we reach Udupi mid-afternoon while sun is still out. I have booked myself into a hotel in Adi-Udupi area (looks like a forgettable one; all others are sold out).

What would be the easiest route to take? I have driven along NH 75 till Hassan (and then toward Chikkamagaluru) in the past; that much I'm familiar with. Beyond Hassan which is the right route for a Sunday mid-morning drive? Google Maps shows a warren of roads; to me it looks like the best option is Hassan > Belur > Charmady > Belthangadi > Karkala > Padubidri > Udupi. Is that correct?

I am fairly experienced, and I drive an Endeavour.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 20:53   #9594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Google Maps shows a warren of roads; to me it looks like the best option is Hassan > Belur > Charmady > Belthangadi > Karkala > Padubidri > Udupi. Is that correct?

This is a very scenic route. You will find 100s of waterfalls, amazing views of valleys and mountains and plenty of fog on Charmadi ghat.

But it is also a narrow road. One traffic accident can backup traffic for kms. Right now it is filled to the brim with tourists.

Since you drive an Endy, I suggest taking Shiradi for driving to Manipal. That would be Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Dharmastala-Karkala-Padubidri-Udupi. You can take Charmadi on the way back. A friend from Bangalore did the same this weekend, he was very impressed with both routes.

Quote:
so that we reach Udupi mid-afternoon while sun is still out.
Sun!!! What is that?

A scenic drive from Udupi to Manipal, this was from yesterday, you can see Manipal University buildings in the distance. Watch in 4K quality.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th July 2023 at 20:57.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 22:47   #9595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
to me it looks like the best option is Hassan > Belur > Charmady > Belthangadi > Karkala > Padubidri > Udupi. Is that correct?

I took this route last month and its good all through. During the return, I took the Manipal route. I have posted a detailed update in the below post,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5565886
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 04:54   #9596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I'm about to become a regular on this thread. My son has been offered admission at Manipal Institute of Technology, and his reporting date there is 17/7 (coming Monday). We plan to start from Bangalore on 16/7, early morning so that we reach Udupi mid-afternoon while sun is still out. I have booked myself into a hotel in Adi-Udupi area (looks like a forgettable one; all others are sold out).

Hassan > Belur > Charmady > Belthangadi > Karkala > Padubidri > Udupi. Is that correct?

Congrats to your son. Exactly the same reason that makes me come back to this thread since last year.

I usually take Charmadi. Last month, I took Shiradi and to Karkala via Dharmasthala.

Please see if ‘Manipal Atalia’ service apartments are available. Very good ones and you can’t go wrong.

If you may need any more inputs please do DM me. Cheers.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 08:02   #9597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suggest taking Shiradi for driving to Manipal [and] Charmadi on the way back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I took [the Charmadi] route last month and its good all through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I usually take Charmadi. Last month, I took Shiradi and to Karkala via Dharmasthala.
Thanks, everyone. I will take Shiradi on the way out and Charmadi while returning.

One question, to hit NH 66 - why is Belthangadi-Karkala-Padubidri better than Belthangadi-Mudbidri-Mulki? The latter seems to hit NH 66 earlier and the distance also seems lesser? Is the only reason to prefer the former, that we skip the Hejamadi toll?
Old 11th July 2023, 08:26   #9598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question, to hit NH 66 - why is Belthangadi-Karkala-Padubidri better than Belthangadi-Mudbidri-Mulki? The latter seems to hit NH 66 earlier and the distance also seems lesser? Is the only reason to prefer the former, that we skip the Hejamadi toll?
If you check in the google maps, the reality will prevail.

Belthangadi-Karkala-Padubidri -> 75Kms in 1h25m
Belthangadi-Mudbidri-Mulki-Padubidri -> 70kms in 1h45m (and pay toll)

This is because Bajagoli to Padubidri is a superb 4-lane highway. The other route is 2-lane all the way to Mulki.

Tomorrow I am driving back to Bangalore, I will check out Charmadi this time. Have to start early to compensate for tourist crowd.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th July 2023 at 08:28.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 09:25   #9599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Tomorrow I am driving back to Bangalore, I will check out Charmadi this time. Have to start early to compensate for tourist crowd.
I already did 2 weeks ago; plus Dr.AD and gang did too - roads are all good. Please test Bisle ghat I need to do a return Mangalore to Bangalore this weekend and I would love to go on that if the roads are good.
Old 11th July 2023, 10:17   #9600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I already did 2 weeks ago; plus Dr.AD and gang did too - roads are all good. Please test Bisle ghat I need to do a return Mangalore to Bangalore this weekend and I would love to go on that if the roads are good.
Took Bisile last Sunday while returning and joined to Donigal instead of going directly to Channaraya pattana.
Bisile road is decent, concrete has become rough in many places, also some places they have done widening of rainwater gutters. Digging done for this is not properly finished, so you may scrape if not very slow.
After you cross Bisile View point, it is smooth and beautiful till Donigal junction.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks