Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 10:50   #9361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Channarayapatna - Arakalagud has developed multiple nasty potholes.
You can take Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud. The Gorur route has been in good condition since it was fixed in 2018.

Sampaje ghat fan here
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:46   #9362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Route is good. Essentially it's the same (common) route for Sringeri till Jayapura where you deviate for Koppa. But here is an advice:

Don't do Hassan Belur Aldur but instead of Hassan Belur Chikmagalur Aldur. This is preferred for first timers as it is easy to navigate rather than the one that passes from Belur to Aldur via Haandi.

This road has been very good since more than a year now. I am not entirely sure on Jayapura-Koppa but trust that to remain good.
Planning a drive to Koppa. Does this advise of 2017 still hold good? Any alternative suggestions? Like Hiryur - Tarikere?
Old 27th September 2022, 18:22   #9363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You can take Hassan-Gorur-Arakalagud. The Gorur route has been in good condition since it was fixed in 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The stretch between Channarayapatna - Arakalagud has developed multiple nasty potholes. There are multiple deep potholes that could easily damage the tires.
Thanks for the heads-up . Drove down to Kukke this Sunday & took the Hassan Bypass->Gorur->Arakalagud->Shanivarasanthe->Bisile Ghat->Kukke.

Smooth tarmac from BLR->Arakalagud. Minor potholes until Shanivarasanthe & excellent tarmac until Kukke.

Also the traffic was non-existent and had a very peaceful drive to & from BLR. Highly recommend this route to anyone going to Kukke instead of the other routes.
car_addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 18:59   #9364

Hello All,
We are 4 adults + 2 kids (2.5 yo and 6 yo) planning a 6 day trip from Bangalore to Mangalore - Udupi - Murudeshwar - Gokarna - Jog Falls - Bangalore. We will start on 31st Oct and have to be back to Bangalore on 5th Nov. Needed inputs for this route and some help in planning the trip as this is our first time on this route.
1) We plan to take the route via Sakleshpur to Mangalore. Are the ghats on this route sharp or subtle?
2) I read a few posts on the forum to take help for planning and there are there are so many scenic spots on this route that I got confused in planning for the trip. So, any suggestion on how the itinerary should be planned? How many nights for each of the place?
3) Any places other than beaches and temples from kids point of view that should be considered?
4) Which of these coastal cities are best (and cheaper than others) for water activities?

Any inputs will be really appreciated.
Old 27th September 2022, 19:01   #9365
BHPian

Has anyone travelled to from Shimoga to Kundapur via Hulikal Ghat recently? Last time when I travelled, the roads were bad between Hosanagara and Nagara. And the Hulikal Ghat was also in a bad shape. Wanted to know if they are any better now.
Old 28th September 2022, 11:49   #9366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks4568 View Post
3) Any places other than beaches and temples from kids point of view that should be considered?
4) Which of these coastal cities are best (and cheaper than others) for water activities?

Any inputs will be really appreciated.
If you take this route, you can consider Shettihalli church. It's about 20 KM deviation from Hassan. You will get to see the half-submerged remains of this church now as water level will be high. (Adding photo for ref which was taken during summer.)

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-p1090207.jpg

Manjrabad Fort, this is after you cross Sakleshpur when the ghat section begins. Its about 5 mins walk from road side. Its an ideal time to visit the fort, it will look like a green carpet has been wrapped around the fort.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-p1090852.jpg

You have water sport in most of the popular beaches between Mangalore and Udupi like Panambur, Sasihitlu, Malpe. But dont expect standards of Goa.

If you have time, you can consider visiting Pilikula in Mangalore. Good place for kids.

Last edited by thirugata : 28th September 2022 at 11:52.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:27   #9367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks4568 View Post
For kids, you should visit Sakrebailu Elephant Camp, near Shivamogga. While returning back from Jog, consider Shivamogga route if you want to visit this place. Kids will love it.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 17:14   #9368
BHPian

Travelled from Bangalore (HSR) to Kundapura on Sunday (25th Sep).

Took the Bangalore-Tumkur-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Bhadra-Thirthahalli-Augumbe-Kundapura route. This was the route that Google Maps suggested.

Overall good roads, and no effect of recent rains. About 20 kms after Hiriyur, there is a bad stretch for about 7-8 kms, and roads before Bhadra have some decent sized potholes - so needs watchful driving around these areas. Roads after Bhadra to Thirtahahalli to Augumbe to Kundapura are quite good.

Driving Time : 8 Hrs 5 mins
Breakfast at Kamat, Sira - good food + rest rooms
Lunch at The Ashok Inn, Thirthahalli - Good Food , average rest rooms.

Last edited by aravindkumarp : 28th September 2022 at 17:15. Reason: Spelling corrected
aravindkumarp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:47   #9369
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

For going to Sakleshpur, the routine route via Kunigal -CR Patna - Hassan is good or is there any other recommended route ?
Old 2nd October 2022, 23:31   #9370

Friends, travelling from maravanthe to bangalore tomorrow. Google shows Kundapura, Agumbe, Balehonnur, hassan route. How is the Kundapura, Agumbe, Balehonnur stretch? Any recent experience pls?
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:58   #9371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Hello BHPians,

For going to Sakleshpur, the routine route via Kunigal -CR Patna - Hassan is good or is there any other recommended route ?
I drove to Mangalore 2 days ago. Since i took Charmadi route, cant comment on Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch. Route till Hasan is good. There are 3 flyover construction happening in this stretch, other than that there is no other issues. Saturday traffic was more than usual, even then there were no traffic jams because of these deviations.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:47   #9372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashr View Post
Friends, travelling from maravanthe to bangalore tomorrow. Google shows Kundapura, Agumbe, Balehonnur, hassan route. How is the Kundapura, Agumbe, Balehonnur stretch? Any recent experience pls?
I travelled this route a couple of days back, Kundapura to Balehonnur to Aldur is good. After Aldur, google maps shows a route via Mahcagondahalli to Belur. This stretch is through coffee estates and has very bad roads ( about 10-12 kms) - low GC vehicles will have a tough time. Marked the bad stretch in the pic.

Better to take Aldur-Chickmagaluru-Belur-Hassan route (just 10 kms extra), although I haven't travelled in that route. Given these are state highways I assume this route will be better.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tbhp_aldur_belur_route.jpg  

aravindkumarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:12   #9373

Greetings,

What is the best route to return from Udupi to Bangalore? Is it through Charmadi ghat or Shiradi ghat? I am travelling with family and so will prefer a route that has better roads
Old 3rd October 2022, 17:37   #9374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindkumarp View Post
Better to take Aldur-Chickmagaluru-Belur-Hassan route (just 10 kms extra), although I haven't travelled in that route. Given these are state highways I assume this route will be better.
This route is usually good. Better than any other option, after Aldur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
What is the best route to return from Udupi to Bangalore? Is it through Charmadi ghat or Shiradi ghat? I am travelling with family and so will prefer a route that has better roads
Charmadi, period.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:23   #9375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
Greetings,

I drove from Bangalore - Surathkal on 1st via charmadi. You got some bad patches between Belur - Hassan and once you get down from ghat till you reach BC Road. Its not bad enough to scrape the bottom but needs careful driving.
If you choose Charmadi, you can do Udupi - Belthangadi stretch via Moodabidri instead of Mangalore and avoid Belthangadi - BC road stretch.
I did drive Moodabidri - Karkala - Padubidri yesterday and the roads are excellent though they are state highways.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20221001_091821.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20221001_131655.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20221001_134222.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20221001_131319614.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20221001_135121930_hdr.jpg

thirugata is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks