Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 21:26   #9271
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
Hi all, This is about travelling between Bengaluru and Mangaluru.
I know that Sakaleshapura route is still a bad choice. Thanks to whoever is responsible for this pathetic road . What a waste of fuel and time . Not to forget the damage done to vehicles. Waiting and hoping for the day when this National highway between two biggest cities of Karnataka becomes reliable for the motorists.

So now we are left with only one other option i.e via Charmadi ghat.

But the question is, Is Charmadi route good? At present what is the road condition of this route?
It's as good as a road can get in India.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:06   #9272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is the best route as on today for your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
By far this is the farthest route and wouldn`t recommend it unless you want to visit Dharmasthala.

Hassan - Sakaleshpura stretch, with one side of the concrete, is almost complete, the only bad stretch one needs to manage is between Sakaleshpura - Maranahalli which is terrible. Having said that this route is still the fastest stretch. Last week I did this from Bannerghatta Road, starting at 1 pm, it took me a little under 6.30 hours to Kaniyoor near Panja.

Bisle Ghat - Subramanya (Kulkunda) is single lane with twisties. You can also consider this but be careful while approaching turns as oncoming vehicles mostly occupy your side.

I call it the peace of mind route. If one can manage under construction Mysore stretch, till Sullia it will be scenic and beautiful roads with less traffic. Sullia - Bellare - Panja is usual countryside route with good tarmac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I would suggest 2 if you are leaving Bangalore at non-standard hours like early morning or late noon. Else just go with 3, it’s my default route these days to visit anywhere in and around Sullia/Puttur.

Thank you all.

I am once again confused and back to my original question. I see all the options has been recommended, I can't remember in last one decade I have got so diverged suggestions
Old 15th June 2022, 11:09   #9273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Thank you all.

I am once again confused and back to my original question. I see all the options has been recommended, I can't remember in last one decade I have got so diverged suggestions
Even I would suggest Bisle. Good 4-lane till CR Patna. Good/Decent roads till Shanivarsanthe. And then Bisle to Kukke.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:16   #9274
Distinguished - BHPian

For a Mangalore -> Bangalore trip next week, someone recommended that I return via the Kudremukh route as it is very scenic.

How's Padubidri - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Belur stretch now? Posts from September 2021 say that Kudremukh - Kalasa stretch was not good.
Old 15th June 2022, 12:27   #9275
Senior - BHPian

The Kudremukh - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Belur stretch is good as experienced during my last drive in May 2022, had driven to Udupi from Horanadu via Kudremukh. Answering manjubp, the reason I suggested going via Charmadi ghat is because of the stress-free drive till Kottigehara compared to driving via Mysore or Bisile ghat. On any given day one can reach Belur faster than Mysore or around the same time.

Last edited by deehunk : 15th June 2022 at 12:33.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 17:39   #9276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I would suggest Bisle. Good 4-lane till CR Patna. Good/Decent roads till Shanivarsanthe. And then Bisle to Kukke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Answering manjubp, the reason I suggested going via Charmadi ghat is because of the stress-free drive till Kottigehara compared to driving via Mysore or Bisile ghat. On any given day one can reach Belur faster than Mysore or around the same time.
Thanks and appreciate the response.

I have zeroed down on two routes

1. If outgoing traffic from Bangalore until Channarayapattana is less, then it would be via Belur , Charmadi Ghat, Belathangady, Dharamasthala, Subramanya cross and Panaja

2. If Bangalore outgoing traffic is heavy then, via Shanivarasanthe and Bisle.

Last edited by manjubp : 15th June 2022 at 17:44.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 18:34   #9277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For a Mangalore -> Bangalore trip next week, someone recommended that I return via the Kudremukh route as it is very scenic.
Yes, its a longer route but a very scenic route. I had taken this route 3 years back, Bangalore - Hassan- Sakreshpura- Kottigehara- Kalasa- Padubidri -
Mangalore

I have posted some pics here, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4549392 (Unexpected love affair with an Italian beauty, Fiat Linea MJD. EDIT: Sold)
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 21:14   #9278
BHPian

Hi All,

We are in Udupi right now and plan to return back to Bangalore. On the way we plan to visit sakrebailu elephant sanctuary near shimoga, since my 10yr old daughter is a big fan of elephants. So we plan to leave like early morning 5.30AM Udupi and reach Shimoga around 9AM and spend couple of hours there and then continue onwards towards Bangalore.

Can you guys please advice if my plan is viable and what route should I take from shimoga to Bangalore?
Old 16th June 2022, 10:06   #9279
BHPian

Can someone post some pictures that you have taken in Bisle Ghat that showcases the current road condition?

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th June 2022, 10:18   #9280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
what route should I take from shimoga to Bangalore?
This thread has more relevant details for Shimoga-Bangalore route - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-33.html (Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries)

2 options -
1. Shimoga - Tarikere - Ajjampura - Hosadurga - join NH at Hiriyur - Bangalore
2. Shimoga - Channagiri - Holalkere - join NH at Chitradurga - Bangalore
Shubbi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 08:12   #9281
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Mangalore-Charmady-Mudigere-Hassan-Bangalore yesterday. Charmady Ghat road is in good shape. Was glad we left early and on a weekday because that road is really narrow, don't want traffic there.

Lots of diversions on the Hassan Bangalore road. Was wondering if so many overbridges and flyovers are really necessary.

Took about 6.5 hours for 360km including a couple of stops for breakfast and a break. Then took 1.5 hours for the last 20km inside Bangalore! Usually my wife and I swap the driving after every 100+km on long drives, this time we ended up swapping after about 60km. Dunno if that helped, but we both seemed fresher after the drive.

Last edited by am1m : 17th June 2022 at 08:13.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 20:37   #9282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Did Mangalore-Charmady-Mudigere-Hassan-Bangalore yesterday.
Drove Bangalore-Mangalore via Charmady. Overall, happy with the conditions.
I thought heavy trucks/vehicles are not allowed on this route. But noticed several today !
shatananda.k is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:55   #9283
BHPian

Planning a Bangalore - Mangalore - Bangalore trip in a few days.

I used to route via Shiradi Ghat road until two years ago, but hearing better recommendation on Charmady ghat road from the recent posts.

Which route is recommended (Sedan) considering the latest road conditions and monsoon rains?
Old 26th June 2022, 13:39   #9284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, its a longer route but a very scenic route. I had taken this route 3 years back, Bangalore - Hassan- Sakreshpura- Kottigehara- Kalasa- Padubidri - Mangalore
Just returned from a round trip Bangalore-Channarayapattana --Bisle Ghatt-- Kukke-Panja--> Dharamasthala -- Ujjare --Belthangady -Bajagoly-Kerekatte checkpost-- Kudermukha town--Kalasa --Marasanige --Kelaguru--Balur Estate --Kottigehara --Kaimara -- Jannapura--Belur--Hassan-Bangalore, covering over 3 days.

Bajagoly-Kerekatte checkpost-- Kudermukha town--Kalasa : Segment is very beautiful and Very good roads

Kalasa --Marasanige --Kelaguru--Balur Estate --Kottigehara : Segment is Good roads, but with curved winding twisted road, it slows you down significantly and needs lot of attention and can be lot stressful. We started from Bhagavati nature camp a fresh, still it was lot of stress to cover Kalasa to Kottigehara

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
Can someone post some pictures that you have taken in Bisle Ghat that showcases the current road condition?
Channarayapatanna --Bisle Ghatt-- Kukke-Panja Road condition is good, while I don't have picture. Channarayapattana to Kuduraste has too many road humps and no decent hotels..

Last edited by manjubp : 26th June 2022 at 13:42.
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 12:04   #9285
Senior - BHPian

For Bangalore - Belur, should one take Hassan bypass or Hassan Ring Road?

Thanks in advance...

Most Viewed