Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 20:30   #9226
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Drove on this Uppinangady-BC Road-Mangalore stretch a week ago in the evening time on my way back from Kukke to Udupi. 4-lane work is ongoing all along until BC Road resulting in dust + loaded dumpers everywhere. I trailed 2 such dumpers for at least 10 mins
I did Bangalore - Mangalore - Bangalore via Shiradi ghat over the weekend. A good portion of the road between Hassan and Sakleshpur has a concrete surface. About 10-15kms close to Sakleshpur is a bit rough, low GC cars were doing absolutely fine. The road condition is pretty similar past Sakleshpur to the ghat start. There is only one place where it is very bad. There is some construction work going on. This is hardly a 50m stretch. Low GC cars need to be careful here. Ghat is great.

From Gundya, there are quite a few diversions. The road condition on the diversions is quite OK now. But, I don't think it will be motorable once rains start.

Based on the road condition, I decided to take the same route back. I took around 7 hours to reach Mangalore including a 20 min break for Breakfast.
gopalnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:32   #9227
BHPian

Any good restaurants (with clean restrooms) on the Hiriyur - Tarikere stretch?
Old 28th April 2022, 21:03   #9228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
Any good restaurants (with clean restrooms) on the Hiriyur - Tarikere stretch?
Hotel Aramane Vaibhava, just after Tarikere town towards Bhadravati
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 16:49   #9229
BHPian

Posting it here because of the destination for my planned trip.

I'm planning to travel from Anantapur to Manipal in the first week of May. Google maps is showing me a route via Kalyandurg - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Agumbe - Manipal.

Is this the best option and are there any tips for the route? I'll be traveling alone and the route will be covered entirely in day time.
Old 30th April 2022, 17:13   #9230
Senior - BHPian

The route between Anantapur and Chitradurga will take 40% of the total travel time, would suggest you the Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Manipal route for a comfortable solo trip. There are good options for a break at Chitradurga and Shivamogga compared to the route suggested by Google. I came back from a very recent trip to Udupi and Agumbe, road conditions are good.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 17:26   #9231
BHPian

The route from Bangalore to Udupi via Charmadi (Bangalore --> Hassan --> Belur --> Mudigere --> Charmadi --> Belthangadi --> Karkala --> Udupi) is fantastic throughout. Belur to charmadi stretch is also widened and newly tarred and is nice to drive.

This is how charmadi looked at 10 in the morning.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pxl_20220430_044000984.jpg
Meph1st0 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 15:29   #9232
Senior - BHPian

I travelled via Shiradi (because I had to) and not a great experience after Hasan all the way till dharmastala deviation.

Road work starts after Hasan and I believe it continues till bc road. Broken Tarmac at multiple places and very dusty at few places due to heavy trucks/bus.

It is definitely drivable on a sedan but charmadi is definitely smoother. While returning I will stick to charmadi.
Old 4th May 2022, 08:55   #9233
BHPian

I am traveling to Kundapura from Bangalore. What would be the best road (wide roads and good surfaces) to take?

Checked with friends, some said that the best roads were through Agumbe, while others said that it involves narrow roads and that we should go to Managalore first, and then go to Kunadapura.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:57   #9234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I am traveling to Kundapura from Bangalore. What would be the best road (wide roads and good surfaces) to take?

Checked with friends, some said that the best roads were through Agumbe, while others said that it involves narrow roads and that we should go to Managalore first, and then go to Kunadapura.
Via Mangalore is lengthier by 30-40 KMS, plus road constructions from Hassan to BC road will make it tough.

I did a return trip to Kundapura from Bangalore, i would recommend Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Aldur - Balehonnur - Narve - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Halady - Kundapura.

Slightly narrow but smooth roads between Narve and Hariharapura, but overall good roads. Rest of the route is easily wide enough for 2 buses to pass each other.
gypsyFreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 11:50   #9235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I did a return trip to Kundapura from Bangalore, i would recommend Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Aldur - Balehonnur - Narve - Hariharapura - Agumbe - Halady - Kundapura.
Thank you. Could you also recommend good restaurants to have breakfast. We are planning to start around 4:30 AM from Bangalore, and we would like to have breakfast around 9-10 AM
Old 4th May 2022, 13:59   #9236
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Could you also recommend good restaurants to have breakfast. We are planning to start around 4:30 AM from Bangalore, and we would like to have breakfast around 9-10 AM
You might have to stop at Belur (Hotel Atithi - KSTDC, limited options, clean restaurant) as very few options after Belur to Agumbe

Some options after Belur, have not been there though..

The Village cafe
Sharada Comforts - Sringeri
Ganesh Grand - Agumbe
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 16:39   #9237
BHPian

Quote:

My recommendation would be the below option:
Bangalore ->Tumkur -> Chitradurga ->Channagiri-> Shimoga ->Thirthahalli ->Agumbe -> Halady ->Kundapura

Might encounter road construction 15 Kms just before Shimoga.

Wide roads all throughout the stretch. Break options at Tumkur, Chitradurga, Shimoga for Breakfast / Lunch / Bio-breaks.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:50   #9238
Senior - BHPian

I did Bengaluru Udupi yesterday. Route taken was Bengaluru Hassan Belur Kottigehara Ujire Belthangady Guruvayanakere Moodabidre Karkala Udupi. I took the Moodabidre route just to have a hang on the development.
Road conditions are good to excellent till Ibbani cafe. After this, there are couple of places where road construction is ongoing. And then after turning right at Guruvayanakere, the road widening is ongoing till the fork of Moodabidre and Naravi. The road from this fork until Karkala has lot of places where widening is going on and will slow you down a bit.
Took 9 hrs and 15 minutes as I had my parents at the rear. Stopped for breakfast at Shri Gajanana refreshments in Hassan for some yummy Tuppada Set Dose. And lunch at New Padiwal Hotel in Moodabidre. Both these places had excellent food and would recommend them. Cannot comment on the restroom here as we stuck to the known ones on the highway.
Some pics of breakfast
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_082100_1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_082251.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_083004.jpg

And lunch

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_125153_1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_125513.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_125515.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_125519_1.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_125527.jpg

With some humour, found this outside hotel in Moodabidre

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20220506_131115.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 15:42   #9239
BHPian

I did BLR-MLR on 7th May via Charmady. Started at 2 pm and reached at 10 pm. Roads were smooth and due to timing, had no traffic from Ujire to Mlr.
My only issue was the lengthy section of Charmady compared to Shiradi. My wife and kid hates the ghat section and due to this had to stop few times.
I am going back after 2 weeks on 22nd May and confused which route to take. Is the sakleshpur to concrete section of ghat better than it was in Jan-Feb. ?
Also, wanted to know which are the good Veg restaurants on the Hassan- Blore route (falling on left side only).
Old 8th May 2022, 16:05   #9240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
My only issue was the lengthy section of Charmady compared to Shiradi. My wife and kid hates the ghat section and due to this had to stop few times.
Hmm, Shirady ghat is 37kms and Charmady ghat is 24kms. Unless you are adding everything between Mudigere to Kottigehara as Charmady Ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
I am going back after 2 weeks on 22nd May and confused which route to take. Is the sakleshpur to concrete section of ghat better than it was in Jan-Feb?
No, if they hated Charmady, they will hate Shirady more. There is simply too much construction and bad roads in the Shirady route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks