Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2020, 23:08   #8431
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I traveled from Chennai to Kerala (Kasaragod) on 11th. Started at 4 AM and reached by 9 PM. I had to take an entry pass (registration) from Kerala, a transit pass from Karnataka and an exit pass from Tamilnadu. We were stopped at district borders in Tamilnadu for epass validation. Further we had to get the hand stamping done for transit at Attebele checkpost before entering Bangalore and finally the registration check at Talapady checkpost in Kerala.

I was not sure about the conditions between Sakleshpur and Shiradi. This thread gave me the assurance, especially with the latest information coming from @arun_josie, @parag who recently traveled along this route. The concrete section at ghats is still in good condition. There are few pretty bad stretches between Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi, but still manageable during daylight. I traveled in Brio, ground clearance was not much of an issue, except few huge potholes where I had to circle around. Some of them are really deep. You just need to be cautious about those and rest all should be fine.

As everyone suggested here, plan to cover the said stretches during the daylight, as it is still raining and foggy in the ghats section.

And thanks @Samurai for correcting me! Yes it is Shiradi, not Shirdi.
Cruiser_D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:52   #8432
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the automated Fastag readers have stopped working on most of the toll booths between Nelamangala and Hassan. When I took this route couple of weeks back, the time taken by the automated tag reader to scan and open the boom barrier was almost 20-30 seconds for each vehicle which resulted in long queues. I noticed today that all the lanes at all the toll booths had operators manually scanning the tags of all the cars with the help of handheld scanners. I found this process more quicker than waiting for the automated reader to scan and open the barrier.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 15th August 2020 at 19:11.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:34   #8433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
The concrete section at ghats is still in good condition. There are few pretty bad stretches between Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi, but still manageable during daylight. I traveled in Brio, ground clearance was not much of an issue, except few huge potholes where I had to circle around. Some of them are really deep. You just need to be cautious about those and rest all should be fine.

As everyone suggested here, plan to cover the said stretches during the daylight, as it is still raining and foggy in the ghats section.
Second all this, returned from Mangalore to Bangalore on Saturday, same observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Looks like the automated Fastag readers have stopped working on most of the toll booths between Nelamangala and Hassan.
Only saw this at the Nelamangala toll booth. Long lines even in the fastag lane, was obviously not working. All other toll booths were fine.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:17   #8434
BHPian

Has anyone been to Udupi/Kundapur via Agumbe in the last 1-2 weeks? Am thinking if that would be better as compared to Shiradi?

I need to drive down to Manipal.
Old 17th August 2020, 15:17   #8435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
In the last 10 days, I did two relay trips to Bangalore - as in, I went from Manipal to Chikmagalur and back, while my sister's car did Bangalore to Chikmagalur and back. First time was through Charmadi and the second through Agumbe.

Roads were good all the way and at no place were we stopped. Apart from the regular checkpost at Agumbe, I noticed one just before Charmadi Ghats and other one on the outskirts of Chikmagalur.

I love driving in this weather and I wasn't disappointed this time either - heavy rains, dense fog and the cool breeze. Just wonderful. I also realised that Agumbe is scary for a novice driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Has anyone been to Udupi/Kundapur via Agumbe in the last 1-2 weeks? Am thinking if that would be better as compared to Shiradi?

I need to drive down to Manipal.
I did this 20 days ago and the roads were very good. I doubt they would have deteriorated much since then. The only place that gets really bad every year during rains is the 10 km stretch after Chikmagalur.

Last edited by samaspire : 17th August 2020 at 15:25.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 22:09   #8436
BHPian

Ok, thanks for that.

I may bypass Chikmagalur though....planning to do Belur-Balehonnur via Aldur.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:21   #8437
BHPian

Update ->

On my onward journey to Manipal, I did Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karkala. Shiradi is still very much manageable.

On my return, I took the Agumbe-Balehonnur-Aldur-Belur route. Some small bad patches here and there but overall, good road condition all the way.
explorer09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:23   #8438
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mangalore - Bangalore this weekend Sat/Sun.

Driving through sections of Hassan <> Sakaleshpur and Nellyadi <> BC road was a nightmare. Got tired and irritated. While going it was at dark + drizzle. That added to the misery. Damn! Why is this not getting repaired.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:01   #8439
BHPian

I will be driving my hatchback to Moodbidri via Charmadi from Chikkanayakanahalli on September 14th. My niece studies in Alva's Moodbidri. She just completed her Second PU exams and neet exam will be completed on September 13th. She studied there since her 8th standard. She is coming home after 5 years of her hostel life. So I'm going to bring her :-).

Can someone tell me how is the road condition in Charmadi now after the heavy rains? Like I mentioned above I'm driving on 14th September. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th August 2020, 11:34   #8440
BHPian

Did a Mangalore - Shiradi - Bangalore trip yesterday during the day. As mentioned by others previously, the roads from BC Road to the ghats are in tatters at some places. Thank God I was driving an Innova with brand new tyres so did not face any issues. Going back the same route tomorrow to Mangalore.
Old 27th August 2020, 22:00   #8441

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
I will be driving my hatchback to Moodbidri via Charmadi from Chikkanayakanahalli on September 14th. My niece studies in Alva's Moodbidri. She just completed her Second PU exams and neet exam will be completed on September 13th. She studied there since her 8th standard. She is coming home after 5 years of her hostel life. So I'm going to bring her :-).

Can someone tell me how is the road condition in Charmadi now after the heavy rains? Like I mentioned above I'm driving on 14th September. Thanks in advance.
Did Udupi to Bengaluru via Charmadi Today, Charmadi is holding up really well, not a single pothole unlike Shiradi. However the roads are really narrow now at few places allowing a single vehicle passage only, This was not a major deterrent as the traffic was quite sparce. There were no restrictions on the timings too, I was allowed to pass through Charmadi at 6:30AM.
srihari154 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:51   #8442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
Did Udupi to Bengaluru via Charmadi Today, Charmadi is holding up really well, not a single pothole unlike Shiradi. However the roads are really narrow now at few places allowing a single vehicle passage only, This was not a major deterrent as the traffic was quite sparce. There were no restrictions on the timings too, I was allowed to pass through Charmadi at 6:30AM.
Awesome! Thank you @srihari154. I rather drive in a narrow road than the road with potholes. I will update here in this thread after my trip for the benefit of the Team BHPians who would need much recent update .
Old 29th August 2020, 22:21   #8443
BHPian

Hello, I have to urgently go to Mangalore tomorrow morning. What is the situation of the road now? How is Shiradi Ghat? What route do you suggest taking? Please help, I need to know urgently!
Old 30th August 2020, 18:53   #8444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post

The roads on the Charmadi route are excellent. As Jmaruru advised, I took the Charmadi route while travelling betwee Bangalore and Udupi on August 14 and was pleasantly surprised. Not a single pothole on the ghats and the landslides were cleared. Roads are good all the way till Udupi
Prashant Shenoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:54   #8445
Distinguished - BHPian

Short update (detailed one to follow)from our drive on yesterday to Kundapura and back:

Onward : Via Kuduremukha
Return : Via Charmadi

Both routes are holding up really well.

During return we entered Charmadi check post at 720PM. Cut off is 7PM. Requested and pleaded and were allowed to go.

So please remember that Charmadi is shut after 7PM (not 6PM). Mornings the cops may be flexible to allow you before 7AM but evenings they are stringent. Only due to the fact that I had Belur Address in my DL worked because I said my destination is Belur. For another car that was headed to Bangalore the cop advised to take Shiradi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th August 2020 at 19:55.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks