Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 16:38   #8296
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
If it is Kukke first, then Dharmasthala, then I will recommend Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Kukke through Sampaje and return through Charmadi to Bangalore. Roads are in good condition.
If it is Dharmasthala first, then Charmadi will be a better option and then can take Sampaje back to Bangalore
With roads patched, Shiradi should be better option to either of place unless you want to enjoy scenic views of Charmadi.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 12:50   #8297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The recently added extra shoulder at this spot ensures that its safe to stop here for a click.
OT: What was your drive time from Chennai to Udupi? Did you drive through the night or took at break in BLR?
I saw a TT stopped at that spot with people setting up the stoves to cook their lunch and lot of garbage spilt around.
Normally I drive directly from Chennai to Kundapura, but this time I had to pick someone on the way. So, took a break at Whitefiled and started again at 5 in the morning.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:31   #8298
BHPian

Dear All,

I am travelling to Managlore on this Friday and was checking the Shirady route on Google maps. Google maps has been showing a road blocl symbol between Hassan and Sakaleshpur for the last three days.

Did anyone drive in this route in the recent past and notice road blocks? Please let me know.

Regards,
Narayan
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-routeblock.jpg  

Last edited by iamnarayang : 9th December 2019 at 16:33.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:37   #8299
BHPian

My brother just returned to Mangalore today via Shiradi and there are no road blocks.
fast_elegance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 10:27   #8300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I am travelling to Managlore on this Friday and was checking the Shirady route on Google maps. Google maps has been showing a road blocl symbol between Hassan and Sakaleshpur for the last three days.
Traveled on Sunday towards Bangalore. There is a stretch which was closed for repair, and we were all forced to go on a dusty off-road for 100 meters. No other issues here.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2019 at 22:00. Reason: compacted quoted post
ananthacharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 10:52   #8301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I drove via Shiradi on Sunday. They are filling some potholes and also relaying tar on some sharp curves which had been completely damaged earlier. It should have been completed by now. Shouldn't be a hassle to drive on this route until the next monsoon

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2019 at 22:01. Reason: compacted quoted post
hallik9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 21:24   #8302
BHPian

Drove through Shiradi Ghat with my civic fully loaded with pax and luggage on Saturday. It is in good condition.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th December 2019 at 08:12. Reason: Rectified a typo. Thanks
Ford5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 19:22   #8303
BANNED

Hello Guys,

I have seen some of your comments and still wanted to check the best route. I am travelling at the end of this month with my infant and wife along with packed luggage in my polo. Do you think Bangalore --> Sakleshpur (via Hosur road) --> shiradi route to mangalore .. would be the best option?

Thanks in advance for your help guys..
Old 14th December 2019, 10:19   #8304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baridbej View Post
Hello Guys,

I have seen some of your comments

Hassan to Sakleshpur has motorable, but patchy stretches. Beyond Shiradi Ghat, it is similar until you reach mangalore city. Your polo will do fine on these roads. Day travel is advised in Ghat section as lots of large sized trucks carrying pipes hog a lot of the bends. KSRTC buses move swiftly. Overtake only with clear visuals of 50 feet ahead in Ghat. I travelled with an infant too, hence the extra advice.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 18:00   #8305
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Friday, we took the route via Charmadi from Mangalore. We reached the check post by 6:00 PM and it was really fun driving on this ghat with almost nil traffic. Except for a few diversions, this route was good all through.

I have done Belur - Hassan before, but during day time. After dark, this section is little tricky due to the dividers placed at the curves. There is no proper signage/reflectors for these dividers and it may surprise you all of a sudden. Just in case if you are overtaking another vehicle, you may end up on the other side of the divider. So, one has to be very watchful for these dividers in this stretch.

Last edited by arun_josie : 14th December 2019 at 18:20.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 01:50   #8306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Hassan to Sakleshpur has motorable, but patchy stretches. Beyond Shiradi Ghat, it is similar until you reach mangalore city. Your polo will do fine on these roads. Day travel is advised in Ghat section as lots of large sized trucks carrying pipes hog a lot of the bends. KSRTC buses move swiftly. Overtake only with clear visuals of 50 feet ahead in Ghat. I travelled with an infant too, hence the extra advice.
Thanks a lot for your advice. Day travel is what I have in mind and you suggestions makes sense. Will update once I am back from Mangalore/Udupi
Old 18th December 2019, 22:51   #8307
BHPian

Any update on the shiradi-> Dharmastala -> karkala -> udupi road conditions? Is this recommended or do I stick to charmadi?
Old 19th December 2019, 12:39   #8308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Any update on the shiradi-> Dharmastala -> karkala -> udupi road conditions? Is this recommended or do I stick to charmadi?
Drove to Mangalore from Bangalore on 13th and returned on 15th. Both the ways I took Shiradi route. It is fine. It is very patchy in some places and some roadwork was going on in some places. But overall the route is fine.
iamnarayang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 23:39   #8309
BHPian

There is curfew imposed in Mangalore city limits and also bandh called in Kalladka and Vittla. I was planning to leave early morning to MLR and now I have decided to wait and assess the situation before I start.
fast_elegance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:10   #8310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
There is curfew imposed in Mangalore city limits and also bandh called in Kalladka and Vittla. I was planning to leave early morning to MLR and now I have decided to wait and assess the situation before I start.
Look forward to your report.

I'm planning a BLR-MLR drive soon.
Which route were you planning on taking? (Shirdi ?.... Charmadi?)

Also : any feedback on the status of the FasTag roll out would be great. (Am hearing reports of "double billing" for a single pass, and the associated fun and games. Any facts there?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Sheel : 28th December 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Minor edits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks