Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 19:38   #7576
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Took Hassan-Madikeri-Sampaje ghat to Mangalore last week.

Hassan-Holenarsipura SH57 had some broken patches, mostly is manageable.
Holenarsipura-Arakalagud had one WIP bridge which has been the same way during my last trip in late November. This diversion alone is in bad condition. Rest of the stretch is fantastic.
Except for the narrow section between Ramanathapura and Konnanur, rest of the section all the way till Kushalnagar was great.

Watchout for marked and unmarked speed breakers allover the place till Kushalnagar. Some are tall enough for underbody hits if not careful.

Sampaje ghat was wide and smooth, no complaints there.

Had the opportunity to drive a near empty Mangalore-Udupi jally road in 50 minutes starting from Kottara at 510am.

Visited Kodi Bengare based on the posts here, was disappointed to see the whole Hoodi-Kodi Bengare beach stretch lined up with rocks What is this nonsense?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 22:14   #7577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Shimoga-Agumbe-Udupi-Kundapur-Hulikal-Hosanagara-Shimoga today..
Additional trivia - Whole trip was done by fully embracing near 40c summer of dry malnad and the humid coast, yes you read it right four zero forty. My wife would have definitely killed me. Not that I hate AC, I just miss that additional power in the Ghats and want to stay connected to the outside world.

Preparation - Cotton white panche (dhoti), white linen shirt, aviator Ray-Ban, window down in mahindra thar and the most importantly the mindset to completely submit to the Indian summer and not to resist and fight.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 12:45   #7578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Additional trivia - Whole trip was done by fully embracing near 40c summer of dry malnad and the humid coast
We were there on 2nd (Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Tirthahalli-Shimoga) it was pleasant. Guess we were lucky. First time we experienced proper summer temperatures was in Kukke, Sullia (MFD showed 38-39 then) on 4th. Madikeri was in mid 30s as well.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 04:17   #7579
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Mangalore on Election Day. Is there anyone else driving on the same day? Which is the best route to avoid any disruptions?
Old 9th May 2018, 15:25   #7580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I am planning to drive to Mangalore on Election Day. Is there anyone else driving on the same day? Which is the best route to avoid any disruptions?
I do not think there will be any major disruptions. However, the check posts may still be functional on election day.

I am driving to Puttur tomorrow via Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Hanabal - Mudigere - Ujire - Puttur.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 21:19   #7581
BHPian

Hello All,

Need suggestion on best route and road conditions from BLR to Dharmasthala.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th May 2018, 22:12   #7582
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on recent posts here, I think this route is fine:
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Dharmasthala.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 22:19   #7583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Based on recent posts here, I think this route is fine:
Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Dharmasthala.
Thanks NPV,

Road conditions fine beyond Hassan? How is Charmadi ghat holding? Any specific caution in any sections?

Last edited by aithalsandy : 9th May 2018 at 22:20.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:26   #7584
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV,

Road conditions fine beyond Hassan? How is Charmadi ghat holding? Any specific caution in any sections?
Road condition is mostly good with some patched up sections on the ghat.
Problem with Charmadi is if you are behind a truck or bus, it is not possible to overtake in the narrow ghat roads. And, KSRTC buses are worst in not allowing the other vehicles to overtake though they are slow in ghats.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 10:47   #7585
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV,

I took charmadi Ghat in march end when I was going to Beejadi, road is generally good after Hassan, but you might face traffic on the Charmadi Ghat coupled with some not so good patches on the Ghat will slow down the journey.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 12:18   #7586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can tell, Kottighera to Dharmasthala is very good, drove that way just 5 days back. I do agree with Makin that overtaking would be a challenge, if the vehicle ahead is doing decent pace should not be problem (which is what happened in my case).

I also visited Kukke and returned via Sampaje, road conditions are good throughout.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 19:39   #7587
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Puttur/Vittal tomorrow morning! I am on 2 minds wither to take Holenarasipura - Madikeri route or Sakleshpur-Hanbal route!

By the way how is the election related check posts, hopefully they do not cause too much delay!
Old 10th May 2018, 20:02   #7588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
I am planning to drive to Puttur/Vittal tomorrow morning! I am on 2 minds wither to take Holenarasipura - Madikeri route or Sakleshpur-Hanbal route!

By the way how is the election related check posts, hopefully they do not cause too much delay!
For Puttur it's via Madikeri.

Sakaleshpur Hanbal basically is to avoid Belur and directly reach Mudigere if one intends to take Charmadi which is not the case with your destination.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 01:53   #7589
BHPian

Hello all,

I've a wedding to attend this Sunday in Mangalore. I'm planning to leave B'lore on Friday night (later tonight) with my girlfriend. Will Election check posts try to create nuisance?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:09   #7590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Hello all,

I've a wedding to attend this Sunday in Mangalore. I'm planning to leave B'lore on Friday night (later tonight) with my girlfriend. Will Election check posts try to create nuisance?

Thanks in advance.
Except random checks they usually don't bother commuters. I was returning from Chikmagalur to Bangalore via Hassan 4 weeks before by departing from Chikmagalur at 10PM. I was stopped at 3 places -Hassan Bypass exit, Near Kunigal and Nelamangala. I was with my parents and my cousin and as a usual practice I always switch my headlights to pilot and turn on cabin lights so they know my travellers. 2 places they simply gestured to continue while once place they asked details of my origin and destination for that day, asked me to open the Glove box well as boot and let me go.

I think all this is very normal and not really a bother when you are driving during election time. Just cooperate and you are spending less than 5m and are let to go.

Even when I drove to Nagpur 2 weeks before I was stopped twice at Devanahalli and near Bagepalli at 0430 during onward and 0130 during return and had similar experience.

Bottom line - Election checking won't hamper your journeys except that If you drive during peak hours, you may only spend some extra time due to these checks.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks