Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2016, 07:21   #7051
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Any updates on the closure of Shiradi Ghats? Am planning to go to Manipal from Bangalore on 3rd Jan.
Old 30th December 2016, 08:49   #7052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is from Kodi bengre beach, where tourists crowd is completely absent.
I was in Manipal last Sunday and did see your GV parked by the roadside at Kodi Bengre. I however did not stop there but went right up to the end. This was my first visit there after innumerable trips to Malpe and I loved the place.
Old 30th December 2016, 09:10   #7053
Team-BHP Support

If you had stopped near the GV and looked over at the beach, you could have easily spotted me. I was the only bald headed guy in the 500 meter vicinity in that deserted beach.

I usually don't go all the way to the end. Kids like the sea beach over the river beach.

Just yesterday I sent another BHPian to the same beach. Noopster was visiting with family.
Old 31st December 2016, 09:23   #7054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reji22 View Post
Any updates on the closure of Shiradi Ghats? Am planning to go to Manipal from Bangalore on 3rd Jan.
Unlikely.

It was mentioned here by Thilak few days back:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4116617

And now it has also appeared in Deccan Herald today that there is no confirmation on the closure as yet even though the contractor is ready and said on closed, it will take 5 months to concretize the section.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ely-start.html
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 08:40   #7055

Hi All,

Planning to travel alone from Mangalore to Bangalore tomorrow (2 Jan).
However I am hoping to detour to Sringeri and then head from there to Bangalore.

Has anyone recently travelled by this route and any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st January 2017, 08:53   #7056
BHPian

I took Puttur -Sulya - Madikeri - Kushalanagara - Channarayapatna route yesterday.
Puttur -Madikeri : Expectedly in good shape, rare potholes are filled too.
Madikeri - Kushalanagara : Heavy traffic, could be year end partying crowd. Wish tourists learn how to drive in dangerous curves.
Kushalanagara - Channarayapatna : Though Google map suggested alternate route to Arakalgud, I continued with usual route via Ramamanathapura. Road is under construction and few stretches Are complete. Watch out for dusty area where visibility was poor around dusk.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 1st January 2017 at 08:55. Reason: Na
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 11:03   #7057
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic resumes on Agumbe Ghat road

Quote:
The movement of vehicles on the Agumbe Ghat road was restored after the completion of month-long repair on Saturday, reports DHNS from Thirthahalli (Shivamogga).

Legislator and former minister Kimmane Ratnakar flagged off the movement of vehicles. The repair of the 2.5-km road that connects Malnad with coastal districts - Udupi and Dakshina Kannada - had started on December 1.
Source: Deccan Herald
Old 2nd January 2017, 17:38   #7058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I drove this ghat again two days ago. I didn't notice too much difference though.
Must be perception then. Some of the potholes felt much larger than seen in the video.
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:47   #7059

Bangalore - Udupi - Gokarna - 3 day Trip

Hello all,

I have 3 days to make a trip from Bangalore to Udupi on 5th Jan (Day after) with my parents and my 4 year old. My dad has some work in Udupi for half-a-day and using that opportunity to make a trip.

I have driven till Sakleshpur before, but never went to Mangalore / Udupi.

Few Queries in this regard :
  1. Would a 12 Noon start from Bangalore (Girinagar) help me reach Udupi before 7PM ? I don't want to drive in an unfamiliar route during nights.

2. Which route should I take ?

BLR - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Belthangady - Bajegoli - Udupi : Google is recommending this route with a travel time of 7.5 Hrs

BLR - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi Ghat - Uppinangadi - Venoor - Moodbidri - Karkala (not entering the town) - Udupi : According to Google the road near Gundiya forest check post is closed

BLR - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullia - Puttur - Bantwal - Mangalore - Udupi Or

BLR - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullia - Puttur - Bantwal - Yadapadavu - Moodbidri - Karkala - Udupi

3. We have half a day to spare in Udupi on 6th Jan. What temples can be visited (it's mostly a temple tour trip) including an hour at Maravanthe beach. Is Udupi - Kollur - Maravanthe - Udupi doable with a 1PM start from Udupi ?

4. Saturday : Udupi to Gokarna - What places (temples again) can we visit along the route so that we reach Gokarna by evening (preferably before temple closes).

5. Sunday : Gokarna to Bangalore - via Sirsi - Haveri - Davanagere - Chitradurga - Tumkur

Please suggest the best routes, Temples that can be visited in this short trip.

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:33   #7060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavan View Post
[*]Would a 12 Noon start from Bangalore (Girinagar) help me reach Udupi before 7PM ? I don't want to drive in an unfamiliar route during nights.
7 hours ambitious given that you will have to drive in ghat roads. It can be anything between 7-8 hours.

Quote:
BLR - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi Ghat - Ujire - Belthangady - Bajegoli - Udupi : Google is recommending this route with a travel time of 7.5 Hrs
This route is good. But mind you that in terms of facilities, along with kid and family in tow, you might not have much options beyond Belur/Mudigere. I would pick this route if I am driving during the day for 2 reasons:

1. Roads are completely good
2. The Charmadi Ghats during day time is better to tackle than night (first timers)

Quote:
BLR - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi Ghat - Uppinangadi - Venoor - Moodbidri - Karkala (not entering the town) - Udupi : According to Google the road near Gundiya forest check post is closed
As of now, this route is open. There is still no official confirmation on closure of Charmadi and decision is not finalized even with the last few reports in the media.

I would strongly suggest this route than Charmadi - There will be facilities throughout (Well mostly) and the route will be lively (Traffic wise) as Charmadi has very thin traffic post evenings anyway.

The only negative about this route as on today is the bad patch that I think you can manage carefully.

Quote:
Is Udupi - Kollur - Maravanthe - Udupi doable with a 1PM start from Udupi ?
Absolutely doable. Based on the timings of the Temple at Kollur, you have set the right order by visiting Kollur first and then returning via Baindoor - Maravanthe - Kundapura - Bhramavara - Udupi.

Unless you have very strong reasons to return back to Udupi, why not halt for the night up north - Kundapura/Maravanthe.

There are some good hotels and resorts in Kundapur-Maravanthe belt that you can stay here as Kundapur to Maravanthe is a matter of 15-20 minutes drive.

Hotels & Resorts in Kundapur/Maravanthe

Last edited by SDP : 3rd January 2017 at 14:49. Reason: Merging as requested
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:39   #7061

Thank you paragsachania!

I will keep the Shiradi Ghat route as the preferred option unless the road closure is reported. I am assuming that the Ghat section is between Sakleshpur and Uppinangadi, am I right ?

How is this stretch - Uppinangadi - Venoor - Moodbidri - Karkala - Udupi ? Is this also Ghat section or mild ups and downs ? Or Should I go through Mangalore City ?

I am pushing for a 11AM start, to reach Udupi by 7PM.

Udupi - Kollur - Maravanthe - Udupi : We need to come back to Udupi. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:39   #7062
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Gokarna - 3 day Trip

Quote:
Hello all,
[*]We have half a day to spare in Udupi on 6th Jan. What temples can be visited (it's mostly a temple tour trip) including an hour at Maravanthe beach. Is Udupi - Kollur - Maravanthe - Udupi doable with a 1PM start from Udupi ?

[*]Saturday : Udupi to Gokarna - What places (temples again) can we visit along the route so that we reach Gokarna by evening (preferably before temple closes).
Hi, we have an app called Pavamana, you can search by the same name on google play store or Apple App store or go to www.pavamana.com for the direct links. In the app under Yatrasthala menu you can search for temples based on city name and the app will give you a brief history of the temple (Sthalapurana, contact numbers ) as well as it suggests temples which are nearby ( the more famous ones) with driving directions if you use android phones , on iPhones, the app will display the name of the places where the temples are located on the map.Hope it helps with your temple run
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:34   #7063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is this stretch - Uppinangadi - Venoor - Moodbidri - Karkala - Udupi ? Is this also Ghat section or mild ups and downs ? Or Should I go through Mangalore City ?
You will bypass Mangalore on a fast road right from Pumpwell Nanthoor Circle and then reach the other side in 20m.

From here, Udupi will take an hour max till destination.

No point taking Uppinangadi Venoor Moodbidri Karkala when you get 4 lane right from BC Road, Mangalore Bypass and Mangalore Udupi - Faster and easier at that time of the day.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:11   #7064
BHPian

Latest on Shiradi:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56300317.cms
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:25   #7065

Thank you paragsachania & raghulb22 for your inputs.

There is slight change in plan and included Sringeri in the itenary and might skip Gokarna and come back from Udupi to Bangalore.

As of now the plan is

5 Jan : BLR - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Jaypura - Sringeri (10AM - 4PM)

5 Jan : Sringeri - Agumbe - Udupi (6PM - 8PM) Or
6 Jan : Sringeri - Agumbe - Udupi (7AM - 9AM)

6 Jan : Udupi (half day for sightseeing - Maravanthe, Sri Krishna Temple etc)

7 Jan : Udupi - Kollur - Murudeshwara - Gokarna
8 Jan : Gokarna - Sirsi - Haveri - Chitradurga - Bangalore

Or

7 Jan : Udupi - Murudeshwara - Kollur - Anegudde - Udupi (and anything else possible)
8 Jan : Udupi - Kateel - Kadri - Mangala devi Temple - Bantwal - Sakleshpur - Hassan - BLR

Thank you once again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks