Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 14:35   #691
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

Tomorrow morning i plan to drive to Udupi. I plan to leave Yelahanka arround 5 AM
and reach Udupi by lunch time, How is the condition of Shiradi Ghat this week ?
has anyone travelled in last 2-3-4 days?, I heard from my parents that it has been raining since last 2-3 days, how good/bad are the rains, what is the forecast for next 4-5 days?

Any help / info is welcome, Thanks in advance
Old 26th May 2009, 14:42   #692
Senior - BHPian

star, Shiradi should be able to take some rain so nothing to worry i guess, about rain expect lots of it..

Am sure you are aware that during the rainy season it would rain continously, so be prepared. but nothing to worry just that ws wiper shpuld be good and ac in working condition.

Am looking forward for a rainy drive, mostly will head out next week

Have fun...
Old 26th May 2009, 14:49   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
star, Shiradi should be able to take some rain so nothing to worry i guess, about rain expect lots of it..

Am sure you are aware that during the rainy season it would rain continously, so be prepared. but nothing to worry just that ws wiper shpuld be good and ac in working condition.

Am looking forward for a rainy drive, mostly will head out next week

Have fun...
Yes, I am aware of the rainy season in south/north canara as i am born and brought up (till age of 15) in those districts. i have a new car, so wipers would not be a problem. but am worried of rainy season flooding
i do not want to put my new car in the flood waters.

Thanks, Lohit, How is the Agumbe Ghat situation ?

Last edited by StarVegabond : 26th May 2009 at 15:07.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:09   #694
Team-BHP Support

The rains have not been hard, there was one heavy rain last Thursday evening. But not after that. It is not too hot, cloudy sometimes, a little rain here and there. That's about it.

Regarding floods. It takes 10 times more rain to flood in these areas when compared to Bangalore. After 2 hours of pounding rain, you can see almost dry roads after 15 minutes, in Bangalore you will have floods. Storm drains are pretty efficient here as long as they are not blocked by some construction activity.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:13   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Regarding floods. It takes 10 times more rain to flood in these areas when compared to Bangalore. After 2 hours of pounding rain, you can see almost dry roads after 15 minutes, in Bangalore you will have floods. Storm drains are pretty efficient here as long as they are not blocked by some construction activity.
That's exactly what I wanted to say! There is almost no water logging in Mangalore city at least. That's after days of continuous downpour! It just flows away... to the sea (or seeps underground).

Plus the coarse sandy soil also means it never gets mucky and clayey. You can almost never get stuck in loose soil!
Old 1st June 2009, 16:58   #696
Senior - BHPian

Drove Bangalore - Managalore via Shiradi last week. Roads are more than good in the ghats and will definetly last through the rainy season. Taking NICE road and then exiting to Magadi town and then to Kunnigal saves lot of time (more than 1 hr) and the route is scenic and no trafiic (compare it with the horrible Nelamanagala route). Final stretch to Mangalore from BC road is bad, but can be avoided by taking the left turn to Managalore University, Konagey and then enter Mangalore city through Kannur road
Old 1st June 2009, 19:38   #697
BHPian

Shiradi is not a challenge anymore.

Yes, shiradi is good. I had been on b'lore - shiradi - m'lore on 27th, and it was smooth ride all along on the ghats. Yes, there were oil tankers and lots of trucks, but the ghat road is holding good. So far so good, and hope it lasts this monsoon.

- JMaruru
Old 1st June 2009, 20:15   #698
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I travelled to Udupi last week Wednesday.
The road condition is bad from Yashwantpur to Nelamangala (some 15+ KMs) and Hassan Bypass (3-4 KM), BC Road to Surathkal (some 35-40KM)
Nelamangala to Kunigal bangalore bound traffic would be high especially one is travelling in the morning (6-8 AM). Surathkal to Udupi would be again good amount of traffic plus local buses driven by ex-F1 drivers.

While returning yesterday, i came from Hebri - Someshwar - Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shivamoga - Arasikere-Tumkur-Dobbaspet-Dodballapur-Yelahanka. Road is is excellent condition except at couple of places arround Someshwar (some 5KM), Thirthahalli - Shivamoga stretch some water canal construction is progress (4-5 locations) there are very big road humps.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 1st June 2009 at 20:16.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:48   #699
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear the Shiradi is in good shape, i think last couple of days Hassana and surrounding area is getting heavy rain, so lets hope shiradi holds up...
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:54   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi, I travelled to Udupi last week Wednesday.
The road condition is bad from Yashwantpur to Nelamangala (some 15+ KMs) and Hassan Bypass (3-4 KM), BC Road to Surathkal (some 35-40KM)
Nelamangala to Kunigal bangalore bound traffic would be high especially one is travelling in the morning (6-8 AM). Surathkal to Udupi would be again good amount of traffic plus local buses driven by ex-F1 drivers.
Traffic will be high on any road leaving bangalore during the start of the weekend. Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala road is no exception. It will be the same thing again at the end of the weekend (Sunday night or Monday morning).

Mangalore-Udupi road is one of the busiest sections of the NH17. It is almost like city traffic. You are spot on with your assesment of the local bus drivers. They surely have some experience in F1.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:05   #701
Senior - BHPian

Offlate am not enjoying NH48 cause of the increased traffic, can expect lot of them till Hassan but once you get down the ghat it gets decent again if the truck traffic is high then it would be a pain!

On the bus drivers i guess they were like this for a long time, i remember as a kid traveling from Udupi to Mangalore and used to love the bus ride used to ask my parents that we take ONLY "Express" hehe

Now i drive/ride i know the pain, most of these guys dont like to be overtaken and they make sure they do everything to get the lead

Also if you are driving to interir place like Karkala/Mudbidre.. make sure that keep a watch as these roads are narrow and the buses come blazing at you. luckily not many buses on these routes.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:40   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Also if you are driving to interir place like Karkala/Mudbidre.. make sure that keep a watch as these roads are narrow and the buses come blazing at you. luckily not many buses on these routes.
I remember driving there with the civic. These buses come so fast and they dont even slow down. Its up to us to move to the side of the road to ensure they have sufficient place.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:44   #703
Team-BHP Support

I don't know why, but generally bus drivers don't hassle me much on NH-17 between Kundapur and Mangalore eventhough I travel very often. I am more bothered by truck drivers who don't let me pass them.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:00   #704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know why, but generally bus drivers don't hassle me much on NH-17 between Kundapur and Mangalore eventhough I travel very often.
That must be the subliminal reason why you are reported to never have smiled before
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:14   #705
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know why, but generally bus drivers don't hassle me much on NH-17 between Kundapur and Mangalore eventhough I travel very often. I am more bothered by truck drivers who don't let me pass them.
Maybe because you are a localite, they may glance at you car number & realise that you are one of us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks