Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 12:10   #6796
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is the railway flyover completed? If not, does it still see traffic snarls and one should stick to the Mekhri Circle route? Please advise.
Its a must avoid mess .
While returning to Bangalore around 3PM, i decided to turn left and i noticed that the truck jam had reached till 100 mtr from the main road. Immediately took U-turn and took Yashwanthpur road.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:31   #6797
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Not yet. Dont know what they are waiting for as the top section above the track is done. Check Google maps before you take this route.
Work has restarted in April 2016 (see this report).
I think there were some land acquisition issues as well which I remember reading somewhere recently that it's been sorted. Hopefully this will be completed in the next few months.
Old 4th August 2016, 12:34   #6798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think there were some land acquisition issues as well which I remember reading somewhere recently that it's been sorted. Hopefully this will be completed in the next few months.
Till the flyover actually gets completed, I will take each of these reports with a pinch of salt .

There were issues for completing this project from Day 1 and land acquisition. Things would stall, progress and stall again at every stage seeking approval or clearance.

Once the project is completed is what I will look back at each of these "Reports" and make an assessment as to which was closest to reality.

This ROB work has been a pain ever since work started.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:06   #6799
BHPian

hello all
Guess this is probably the best place to post this query about route suggestions from bengaluru to manipal ! I will be driving down from chennai ; and using “google maps" and “map my india" maps !
Tips from bengaluru to manipal will be helpful !
Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 10:19   #6800
Senior - BHPian

My Sister and her family did a round trip on 4 and 5th. They left Udupi on 4th at 0600 and reached Bangalore at 1530 on a leisurely drive. Rains accompanied them till Sakleshpura after which it was fine.

They left Bangalore yesterday at 1500 and reached Udupi at 2345 with heavy rains from Sakleshpura till Udupi. Road conditions have deteriorated post the concrete roads and viisibility due to rains are low. With water logging, the potholes are difficult to predict. BC road to Udupi is just fine.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 09:08   #6801
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I had put some queries about good hotels at Udupi and got a great response here. Unfortunately I could not make for the trip. I am traveling on coming weekend to Udupi for Sure and have finalized on Hotel Summer Park for stay. Any last minute suggestions would be great.

Thanks for updating with road conditions. My plan is to start at around 7AM from Marathahalli and reach Udupi in daylight via Shiradi route. Will update with details once I am back next week.

Regards,

Last edited by rajivtelang : 8th August 2016 at 09:16.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 12:02   #6802
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I had put some queries about good hotels at Udupi and got a great response here.
You may want to check the Accommodation thread instead, for example this page discusses hotels in Udupi, there should be more - Search, And Ye Shall Find
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...rates-105.html
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 20:56   #6803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I am traveling on coming weekend to Udupi for Sure and have finalized on Hotel Summer Park for stay.
Summer Park is a good choice. It's unique in a way - it straddles the way to the temple and the heart of the city. Very good veg food, but no non-veg

Do ping me if you need any help while at Udupi.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 21:43   #6804
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Considering the road conditions, what would be the best route to Kundapur now? I might just stick to the usual Shiradi but I was wondering if Agumbe would be a faster option if the roads are holding up.
Old 8th August 2016, 22:54   #6805
BHPian

Hi Explorer09, I drove last weekend from Bangalore to Mangalore and back, left Saturday morning and returned by Sunday evening. Used the Hassan, sakleshpur, gundya, bantwal route. The concreted sections were good, the tarred road after the concreted sections while going to Mangalore were bad in patches but still drivable. Would recommend this route, not sure if the rains have made it worse in this one week.
mindovermotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 13:31   #6806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
As on 24th July.
Gundya - Sakleshpur (tar) - Average , Road is fast deteriorating and at places drive experience is poor.

Gundya - Sakleshpur (concrete) - Good , So far concrete road has held ground (literally!), there are few immediate step gradients to look out though.
Latest updates anyone? Also how is the road from Gundya to Kukke? Planning to drive to Kukke Subramanya this weekend - early morning 5 am start from North bangalore.
Old 9th August 2016, 15:57   #6807
BHPian

Does it rain heavily after Sakleshpur i.e. Shiradi ghats? Is it pre-mansoon or monsoons there? I have to be in Dharma on Sunday due to a marriage on Mon morning. I may leave (KA03) Sunday after noon by 2-3 & am sure by the time I reach shiradi it will be dark. Is it advisable to drive in the rainy night (if rains) thru shiradi? Other option I'm thinking staring early morning by 3-4 on Mon morning, finish the function & drive back same day. What scares is, bad patches in Shiradi during nights.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:01   #6808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
I have to be in Dharma on Sunday due to a marriage on Mon morning.
Shiradi closed due to bridge damage by LPG tanker accident yesterday. Hence you will have to either take Charmadi or go via Gundya - Subramanya - Nellyadi.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8965124.ece

I was planning to visit Kukke & Dharmasthala this weekend but this incident is making me rethink. Anyone has any other updates on this?
Old 10th August 2016, 12:10   #6809
BHPian

procrj> Thanks for update. I saw this in TV today morning - local Kannada channel. I think it might have closed for a day or so, not sure. I guess, by week end it will be opened for traffic. If not, as you said I will have to take charmadi route.
Old 10th August 2016, 14:28   #6810

Travelling Bangalore-Manipal-Mangalore-Bangalore for the long weekend. Google maps is showing a route wherein we leave Mangalore Highway at Uppinangadi. But I have been advised by a few to not take this route and instead travel to Manipal via Mangalore.

It seems like a detour of only 10-15 kms. What do you guys suggest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks