Old 26th October 2015, 08:26   #6406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Good news for CCD lovers.

A 3rd outlet now opens. Location details as below:

Hassan-Bangalore side
Before (and next to) Hotel Mayur and a few 100 meters before Adigas
Locate the same using maps here

Note that this is still not updated in Googlemaps as it should have open in less than a week's time.

This makes the number of CCD outlets within Hassan-Nelamangala stretch to 3 in a span of just 150 odd kms.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 09:27   #6407
BHPian

Travelled to Mangalore on 22nd Oct 2015.
Route was Bangalore - Mysore - Periyapatna - Kushalnagar - Puttur - Mangalore.

The road quality was truly great, was on my Enfield and was averaging 80kmph without any issues. Good quality roads, well placed sign boards and clear lane separators. Also, ended up finding a CCD outlet every 50kms or so on the highway, which was a pleasant surprise.

Travelled on from Mangalore to Udupi and then Gokarna.
Lot of repairs and 4-lane conversion work being carried out on this stretch. Compared to the Bangalore - Mangalore stretch, this was pretty bad, with many potholes and diversions.
Old 26th October 2015, 09:43   #6408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Surrey work for the Shiradi Ghat bypass to begin in 2 days.

All bridges will be over 100mtr in height?

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 25 Oct 2015. Article:"Survey work on Shiradi Ghat Bypass in 2 Days" - Link
Construction time of 20 years and the project end cost will 25,000 crores and a big portion of it in the Babu's pockets. Never ending loot mechanism.
Old 26th October 2015, 09:53   #6409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This makes the number of CCD outlets within Hassan-Nelamangala stretch to 3 in a span of just 150 odd kms.
There is nothing between the 70 km stretch of Yediyur-Nelamangala.
That makes it 3 in a 80 odd kms stretch of Hassan-Yediyur
Old 26th October 2015, 12:40   #6410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
There is nothing between the 70 km stretch of Yediyur-Nelamangala.
That makes it 3 in a 80 odd kms stretch of Hassan-Yediyur
In fact, this CCD is exactly on this stretch and between Yediyur and Kunigal ☺.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 15:56   #6411
BHPian

For those who are travelling to Halady/Kundapura/Saligrama/Kollur/Maravanthe via Agumbe (thirthahalli or via Shringeri-Belur), Road between Someshwara and Goliangadi via Ardi road in pristine condition. So one need not to go via Hebri. This is also shorter route.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:50   #6412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
For those who are travelling to Halady/Kundapura/Saligrama/Kollur/Maravanthe via Agumbe (thirthahalli or via Shringeri-Belur), Road between Someshwara and Goliangadi via Ardi road in pristine condition. So one need not to go via Hebri. This is also shorter route.
Good to note about the Someshwar-Ampar route being very good. But why Hebri? I thought that should anyway not figure when one is trying to go to Kollur/Kundapur while descending Agumbe? Am I missing something?
Old 26th October 2015, 17:51   #6413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good to note about the Someshwar-Ampar route being very good. But why Hebri? I thought that should anyway not figure when one is trying to go to Kollur/Kundapur while descending Agumbe? Am I missing something?
From past when I travel to Kundapur, I stopped taking Adri route (first time) because of amount of potholes in that route. 1km after Someshwara, road literally turns in to no road, it was non-motorable then. Someshwar~Adri road is to take close to 40 min to travel less than 10km! It was that terrible. Though Hebri route adds 9km, but always super condition after Someshwar to Goliangadi (bar very few potholes between Hebri and Goliangadi). If you go back few pages, usually Hebri route is preferred over Adri road (though it comes first as soon as you reach Someshwara).

Note, here I was talking only about Someshwara~Adri~Goliangadi~Halady route. You were talking about further Amapar route. I don't know about Halady~Ampar stretch. To come to Goliangadi from Someshwara, you have either Kundapura ~Agumbe highway which was in terrible shape till Adri! or Udupi~agumbe highway till Hebri and take right towards Kundapura, join after Adri.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 18:16   #6414

Bangalore to Jog Falls to Karwar route

Hi guys!!!
We are planing to drive in a Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel from Bangalore to Jog, spend a night there and drive on to Karwar via Gokarna.
I would like to know which is the the best route for each leg of the drive. How are road conditions and how is Jog at this time of the year. We plan to leave just after Diwali.
Has anybody recently taken this route?
Old 26th October 2015, 18:42   #6415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think your best option will be the madikeri-somwarpet-sullia-mangalore route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No Somwarpet.

Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sullia-Jalsoor-Puttur-Bantwal-Mangalore
Thanks to all your updates, finished the ride without any hitch. But with a slight twist to the ride plans.

On 19th I get a call from my nephew asking me to forego the Mysuru section as Dusshera was in full swing and road conditions were terrible. So he turned up in Bangalore on 20th and we all left on 21th morning on the Hassan route.

Road conditions: From the BSK 3rd stage to Yeshwanthpur turnoff on the ORR was a breeze. After this it was never ending mess till the Tumkur road signal. I got caught on the median side with a couple of BMTC buses trying to gain ground and was dragged till the end which lasted about 30 minutes for this km stretch.

After this, the elevated road and Tumkur road later was a breeze with bare minimum of vehicles. Toll after the elevated road ends: 20INR.

Turnoff to the Mangalore highway at Nelamangala to Hassan again was super smooth. Tolls were 41, 41, 30, 30 INR. The wait at the first 2 tolls gets frustrating as the extra one rupee adds up to the woes of "change illa sir" and chocolate episodes.

Hassan to Sakleshpura is also smooth with the bumps creeping up sometimes into the cabin.

The new stretch of Shiradi roads are beautiful with proper signs installed and work going on in some places to build walls. This however does not affect the road goers. The road continues to be good till Gundya.

Gundya to BC road, people need to look out at atleast 5 places where there are giant potholes on the road. They come up unannounced and a couple of them are in a blind curve. Real disaster for the rims for sure.

BC road to Mangalore, super smooth roads but with lot of local traffic taking you driving skills to test. Toll, 20INR for all vehicles except KA19 and KA21 regn vehicles.

Nantoor circle to Surathkal, Roads are shod with potholes and bumps. Added to this is the truck traffic making life hell.

Surathkal to Udupi: Road work is completed in most parts but still a couple of places, there are diversions. Toll plazas are being constructed at 2 places with a board announcing 45INR toll at the first plaza. However the icing on the cake is the speed limit is upped to 100kmph with the boards still wrapped in plastics on this stretch.

Udupi to Kundapura: Again smooth roads with a couple of nasty diversions. You will come into the oncoming vehicles on a blind curve. Again one more toll plaza being constructed on this stretch.

Kumdapura to Byndoor: 2 lane roads with bumpy stretches. Road conditions have improved but the ride is unsettling on this part.

On the return the Madikeri Mysuru stretch was taken on 25th. Mani to Madikeri was super twisties with the road work completed, it is a breeze to drive on this part. Average speeds can be in the 70's with scarce traffic.

Madikeri to Mysuru: Roads are good with a layer of tarmac missing in the center part of the road on most stretches consistently. Swerving is unavoidable due to this.

Mysuru to Bengaluru: Smooth roads with horrible traffic. Although the traffic was scarce being a sunday, the road were dotted with morons all along. You will find yourself in the bad driver thread with Tbhp stickers even though you are not at fault.

I could average a 20.5kmpl on the entire trip with Shell V power filled at Bangalore and Mysuru and IOC at Trasi. The Shell seems to work fine with the low engine noise and good accelaration compared to the IOC fuel. Aircon was on from and till Mangalore.

A lot of hotels have cropped up on this entire stretch. Seems now people have options to choose. Breakfast was at Oosoor in Sakleshpura and lunch at the Bitoo da Dhabha at Mulki. Both were quite good.
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 19:40   #6416
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Jog Falls to Karwar route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
Hi guys!!!
We are planing to drive in a Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel from Bangalore to Jog, spend a night there and drive on to Karwar via Gokarna.
I would like to know which is the the best route for each leg of the drive. How are road conditions and how is Jog at this time of the year. We plan to leave just after Diwali.
Water level at Jog is controlled by man, not god these days so it "depends" on how much water they release. You don't lose much time if Jog is on the way to your destination but I think you're better off staying overnight at Shimoga if you really want to, else visit Jog on the return leg.

You can do onward Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli bypass-turn left to NH63 Yellapur-turn left onto NH17-Ankola-Gokarna. This can be your place for overnight halt. Or even at Kumta - Panduranga International is good and on the highway itself.

Next day you can drive up to Karwar (you will trace your way back via the NH63-NH17 junction where you earlier turned left to get to Ankola & Gokarna).

On your return, you can drive from Karwar via Kumta to Honnavara, then turn left onto NH206. En route you can stop at Jog Falls.
NH206 will get you to Tumkur and then Bangalore on NH4.

You can also drive on NH206 upto Arsikere and then take Arsikere-Gandasi-Channarayapatna-Nelamangala-Bangalore. This will bypass Tumkur.

Last edited by NPV : 26th October 2015 at 19:42.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 13:04   #6417
BHPian

Some feedback on my trip:

Oct 24: Bangalore - Kukke
Oct 25: drive back

We broke journey both ways in Hassan for lunch and refueling.

On the 24th, ate at Sri Krishna (link is to the parking lot). Parking is immediately before the restaurant when approaching the restaurant when it is on the left. Food was decent. The place was almost packed at 1:30 pm, and we took the sole table free. Windows were open (no a/c), and there is a vast field beyond. There were too many flies competing for the food. We decided to eat elsewhere on the way back.

On the 25th, tried Swad in the Hotel Raama complex. Ambiance was definitely better. Food was decent. Some flies, but not as much as in Sri Krishna (seems to be a Hassan problem?). Many customers were complaining about delay in getting their orders. The waiter warned us about this, so we ordered what would come quickly, and it did come in about 15-20 minutes.

Both times I refueled at "Prasad" petrol bunk, the BP opposite Sri Krishna. My credit card charge, however, was made by "MS HG Narayan & Co". Don't know if the bunk has changed hands.

This stretch to get off the highway and get to the recommended restaurants and petrol bunks is in really bad shape; many, many, huge potholes. Watch out for them!

Next time I need to eat in Hassan, will try Mayura International and Suvarna Regency.

Many thanks to ampere, Added_flavor, NPV, Parag, and addyhemmige!

Bumped into Ajay Devgn at Kukke!
TheTeacher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 13:31   #6418
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
This stretch to get off the highway and get to the recommended restaurants and petrol bunks is in really bad shape; many, many, huge potholes. Watch out for them!
You could have avoided this road by taking one of the other turns off further down on the NH48, about 2-3 of them all lead into Hassan.

The road you took (Ring Road) leads to a junction where turning right takes you to Arsikere, that was a horrible road too couple years ago!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 12:36   #6419
BHPian

Best route to take from Mangalore to Subramanya temple? Please help
Old 29th October 2015, 13:14   #6420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Some feedback on my trip:

Oct 24: Bangalore - Kukke
Oct 25: drive back

We broke journey both ways in Hassan for lunch and refueling.

On the 24th, ate at Sri Krishna (link is to the parking lot). Parking is immediately before the restaurant when approaching the restaurant when it is on the left. Food was decent. The place was almost packed at 1:30 pm, and we took the sole table free. Windows were open (no a/c), and there is a vast field beyond. There were too many flies competing for the food. We decided to eat elsewhere on the way back.

On the 25th, tried Swad in the Hotel Raama complex. Ambiance was definitely better. Food was decent. Some flies, but not as much as in Sri Krishna (seems to be a Hassan problem?). Many customers were complaining about delay in getting their orders. The waiter warned us about this, so we ordered what would come quickly, and it did come in about 15-20 minutes.

Both times I refueled at "Prasad" petrol bunk, the BP opposite Sri Krishna. My credit card charge, however, was made by "MS HG Narayan & Co". Don't know if the bunk has changed hands.

Next time I need to eat in Hassan, will try Mayura International and Suvarna Regency.

Many thanks to ampere, Added_flavor, NPV, Parag, and addyhemmige!

Bumped into Ajay Devgn at Kukke!
Thanks for the update TheTeacher

I wouldn't attribute the flies to be a Hassan problem. It is more probable that given the long weekend rush the hotels were facing, they had lesser time to clean the premises properly. Chances are, you would have faced them at any restaurant you would have gone to.

The fuel station is/was indeed owned by the HG Narayan family. Not sure if it has changed hands now.

I'm surprised that stretch has so many potholes. It has been a month since I traveled on that stretch and I remember a couple of potholes just before the railway overbridge, but other than that it was fine.

Btw, what time did you leave Hassan on the 25th? I left Hassan around 3pm.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks