Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 19:12   #6076
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I am travelling to M'lore as well. I will be starting from Kalena Agrahara at about 4 AM.
Fast, how strange - I'm starting off from Kalena Agrahara as well! Except I leave at 5:30 am. We should meet up some time.
Old 5th June 2015, 19:29   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I recommend taking Somawarapete route from Arakalagud. Heard from a relative that the entire stretch inside Konanur is dug up for road repairs.
Thanks for this info. I will stick to the Somawarapete route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Fast, how strange - I'm starting off from Kalena Agrahara as well! Except I leave at 5:30 am. We should meet up some time.
Wow. We will definitely meet up sometime. I drive a white Ritz with got bhp? decal on the rear bumper in case you spot.
Old 5th June 2015, 19:38   #6078
BHPian

Quote:
Leaving for Mangalore at 5:30 am from South Bangalore tomorrow (6th) via Channarayapatna, Holenarsipur, Ramnathpura, Kushalnagar, Madikeri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I am travelling to M'lore as well. I will be starting from Kalena Agrahara at about 4 AM. Trying to decide between
1. CR Patna - HNpura - Arkalgudu - Shanivarasanthe - Somawarapete - Madikeri
Plus one to it.

Seems like many bhpians are heading out to Mangalore and we can plan for a short pit stop. However I am still undecided about the route, since I am starting at 4 from BG Road, I might take Mysore stretch as I feel by the time early birds heading to Coorg start I might have crossed Mysore.
Old 5th June 2015, 19:43   #6079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
However I am still undecided about the route, since I am starting at 4 from BG Road, I might take Mysore stretch as I feel by the time early birds heading to Coorg start I might have crossed Mysore.
Yes Mysore road does make sense for you especially when you start at 4. Just keep the humps in mind. If you are crossing Mysore a 7, look for Hotel Kalyani on the ORR. Its a perfect place for a breakfast. Opens at 7 AM. (Location)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 12:19   #6080
BHPian

Quote:

Plan to have breakfast at Channarayapatna and lunch at Madikeri. Would appreciate recommendations for decent vegetarian restaurants at these places.

Also need to refuel (petrol) up and down at Madikeri. Any suggestions for bunks with clean fuel?

Thanks a bunch!
You can try RainTree at Madikeri for lunch. It is behind the townhall. Quaint little house converted into a restaurant. Try their Bella coffee too. Its awesome!
MorePower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 20:49   #6081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes Mysore road does make sense for you especially when you start at 4. Just keep the humps in mind
Today did my weekend trip to Puttur, as planned I took Mysore-Madikeri route and it turned out to be a quick trip. No traffic whatsoever till Hunsur. I left my Bilekahalli home at 4.15 crossed ilavala at 6.45 and reached Puttur at 10.30 including a 30 mins breakfast break in Hotel Athiti Kushalnagar.
From what I observed humps in Mysore-Bangalore stretch especially after channapatna are replaced with collapsible barricades and I can't understand the logic behind this as during peak hours this will definitely create lot of jams. Anyways I would recommend this route only if one is planning to leave Bangalore early in the morning and any other time strict no!.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 6th June 2015 at 20:59.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 23:16   #6082
Team-BHP Support

I traveled the other direction today, Manipal to Bangalore via ampere route. This route is so uneventful, I have really nothing say.

Yesterday my cousin took the same route after I briefed him. He was quite thrilled at the ease and quality of the route.

BTW, it is already June. When is Shiradi opening?
Old 7th June 2015, 19:26   #6083
BHPian

I'm leaving Mangalore tomorrow morning, however, I don't see anyone recommend the Charmadi route (Belthangady - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Channarayapattna - Bangalore). I took this route coming in and thought the road was fine. Is the Madikeri route a lot better? What do you folks suggest?
Old 7th June 2015, 20:40   #6084
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneld View Post
however, I don't see anyone recommend the Charmadi route (Belthangady - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Channarayapattna - Bangalore). I took this route coming in and thought the road was fine. Is the Madikeri route a lot better? What do you folks suggest?
The route may be good, but its the traffic which kills you. Hence the route preferences have changed to Madikeri/Puttur. Charamadi ghat road is narrow and thanks to traffic you can get stuck for quite some time.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 21:15   #6085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm leaving Mangalore tomorrow morning, however, I don't see anyone recommend the Charmadi route (Belthangady - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Channarayapattna - Bangalore). I took this route coming in and thought the road was fine. Is the Madikeri route a lot better? What do you folks suggest?
We will recommend once Shiradi opens up after repairs. For now, this route witnesses traffic where more than 90% of them are not accustomed to ghat driving and expect roads to be wide and straight.

Else Charmadi has been a classic route without a crib anyway.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 21:30   #6086
BHPian

That makes sense, thanks! I travelled Friday morning (left Bangalore around 5am), which is why traffic was considerably bearable - and almost non-existant in some stretches.

I reckon Monday morning is going to be rough, so the alternate route sounds like the way to go! Thanks for the heads up
Old 7th June 2015, 21:38   #6087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Depends on what time / day you driving. I drive almost every weekend to mangalore and Charmadi is my preferred route. Our starts are early mornings from either side. It's only if we start during the daytime that we take the longer Madikeri route. Otherwise , it's Charmadi that I would recommend anytime.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 09:56   #6088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, it is already June. When is Shiradi opening?
Finally someone heard you. State PWD minister informed that "concreting work might be over in 10 days".
I just hope with some more days of buffer, Shiradi ghat should be cleared for traffic latest by July, of course keeping my fingers crossed
More info here Hindu Link.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 11:17   #6089
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this report today in the Indian Express Bangalore edition - epaper Link
It says part of the Shiradi ghat road, a 11Km stretch will be open from tomorrow for traffic in one direction with the right 'track' usable - does this mean just one lane ?

Quote:
As per the information received from the National Highways Division of PWD on the first stretch, only the right side track would be opened to traffic from Gundya up to a distance of 11Km tentatively from Wednesday.

Last edited by NPV : 9th June 2015 at 11:20.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:35   #6090
Team-BHP Support

Open up to 11kms only, what happens after that, vehicles have to fly?

Why can't they do it properly, in one go?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks