Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 11:56   #5401
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Please advice on the best road to take for Bangalore to Puttur.
Best I think would be drive till Upinangadi on 48 and exit to Puttur. Ask locals for the Upinangadi-Puttur road. If not good drive to Mani and come back to Puttur.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:09   #5402
BHPian

I (family of 4) am taking a vacation in Coorg during September last week. I need assistance and inputs in visiting a few places in around Madikeri. Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am still going ahead.

1. Can Madikeri - Mahe (Puduchery) be done in a day? What are the route conditions? Anything to see here?
2. Is visiting Bekal a good idea?
3. Any other places nearby?

I have about 3 full days in Club Mahindra Madikeri resort. Any inputs is well appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 9th September 2014 at 12:11.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:53   #5403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I (family of 4) am taking a vacation in Coorg during September last week. I need assistance and inputs in visiting a few places in around Madikeri. Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am still going ahead.
You can get updated route details here

Regarding plan for visiting Bekal and Mahe, I guess it will be bit hectic. With three days in Madikeri the best will be to spend time around there.

Also I guess checkin time at Club Mahindra is 02.00 PM, this means almost one entire day is wasted.

NB: Which weekend are you travelling, I am planning a trip to Club Mahindra Madikeri between 20-22 SEP.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:07   #5404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best I think would be drive till Upinangadi on 48 and exit to Puttur.
Isn't NH48 in tatters? That is what I understand from reading several posts on this thread.
Old 9th September 2014, 13:16   #5405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Isn't NH48 in tatters? That is what I understand from reading several posts on this thread.
I think Shiradi is still holding. The road till Sakleshpur is good. May be a small section would have given up.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:17   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Regarding plan for visiting Bekal and Mahe, I guess it will be bit hectic. With three days in Madikeri the best will be to spend time around there.

NB: Which weekend are you travelling, I am planning a trip to Club Mahindra Madikeri between 20-22 SEP.
Thanks Suhas for the quick response. I am there from 24th to 28th (3 full days excluding check-in and check-out days). I wish I could have met you to convey a personal thanks for all your posts that have helped me out!

3 full days fact hit me only after the booking. Also, this is my third time to this resort. We have been to most of the standard attractions - hence the thought of driving to these places, especially to Mahe to relive some old memories.

I am ok with the BLR-Madikeri route. Madikeri to Mahe (120 Kms) seems to be a long drive, and I wanted to know if anyone has done this recently, and if its worth doing it in the first place (old memories can stay that way).

Another post in T-BHP mentioned that Bekal fort is not worth visiting as a destination, but should be visited only as an en-route attraction. I am dropping that as well. Guess I will watch the paint dry on walls at Club Mahindra.

You have a nice stay at Madikeri.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:28   #5407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another post in T-BHP mentioned that Bekal fort is not worth visiting as a destination, but should be visited only as an en-route attraction. I am dropping that as well. Guess I will watch the paint dry on walls at Club Mahindra.
Bekal is a place worth visiting as a destination, if you plan to stay in one of those luxury resorts. Just for a visit alone, yes its not worth it.

If you are in Madikeri, I would say spend time around there. There are many places to visit. You can keep the coast for a later date.

Try the Mallali falls up in the north Coorg area.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:26   #5408
BHPian

^^ Thanks ampere. Will do some exploration here. Looks like Mallali falls is a bachelor only affair! Good for me :-). Not sure if low gc cars negotiate the roads. But I will try anyway.
Old 11th September 2014, 01:11   #5409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advice on the best road to take for Bangalore to Puttur.

As Ampere has mentioned , NH48/75 will be the quickest to puttur. You need to take the left road just after Uppinangady bridge. This goes straight to puttur

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 09:56   #5410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Mallali falls is a bachelor only affair! Good for me :-). Not sure if low gc cars negotiate the roads. But I will try anyway.
Low GC cars can go upto a point from where you need to walk. Only 4x4 vehicles can negotiate the last stretch. Watch out for the slippery rocks at the bottom of the falls. Else its a very good place. On a clear day, you can even get a glimpse of Bisle ghat's view point from the falls.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 11th September 2014 at 09:58.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 18:15   #5411
Senior - BHPian

ORR exit at NH4

Folks,

The ORR exit for NH4 @ Yashwantpur has been a pain for some time now, given the never-ending railway overbridge construction. I have encountered long jams most of the time I have ventured that side. Any idea if the situation has improved now? If not, I would probably have to take NICE road (tooooo roundabout for me, starting from Marathahalli) to get on to Tumkur road.

Thanks in advance...
Old 14th September 2014, 19:02   #5412
BHPian

Re: ORR exit at NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Folks,

The ORR exit for NH4 @ Yashwantpur has been a pain for some time now, given the never-ending railway overbridge construction. I have encountered long jams most of the time I have ventured that side. Any idea if the situation has improved now? If not, I would probably have to take NICE road (tooooo roundabout for me, starting from Marathahalli) to get on to Tumkur road.

Thanks in advance...
The situation is worse. Atleast it would be an immense service if they could get that road section in motorable condition.

Last week I drove from Banaswadi and at Hebbal junction, took an entry into the Bangalore city (take the right road at the Hebbal flyover to join this road while the left road goes to the junction /signal under the flyover).

So the route was Hebbal junction-Mekhri Circle-Take right here ---> Indian institute of science gate --> Yeshwantpur flyover ----> join the gorguntepalya junction ( the road that comes from the under-construction bridge).

If the Yeshwantpur to Gorguntepalya junction road has heavy traffic, take the service road on the left which joins the same signal further on.

I have been following this route since my last 3 drives and it is much faster and hassle free than the unpredictable under construction road)

@ampere above is right. However speaking of the ORR route, the ORR from Marathalli to Hebbal has only 1 signal throughout and in morning hours you will be driving the opposite direction of the general traffic. Further Hebbal to Mekhri circle there is no signal and traffic generally moves reasonably well.

Last week as I said, I started at 6.00 AM from Banaswadi, dropped my cousin at the airport, retraced the route and took the Mekhri circle --IISC route and was at Nelamangala at 7:15 AM. well the lean early morning traffic definitely helped. But even then the whole length from Marathalli to the exit flyover there are very few signals which should save a lot of time.

Hope that helps.
Ashok

Last edited by ashkamath : 14th September 2014 at 19:19.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 19:04   #5413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks,

ORR option works very well, when you are leaving early morning esp from South Bangalore. In fact if you are starting from Marathahalli, you can actually go through the city. No need for NICE road at all. (Again thats my opinion). However, when you are coming back to Bangalore, NICE road makes a lot of sense, since ORR would be choked during daytimes. Again dont take ORR even at Silk Board. Go through Madiwala/Krupanidhi college - Sarjapur Road - Agara - Belandur. That typically works out much faster.

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2014 at 19:05.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:08   #5414
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From Marathahalli, take ORR upto Hebbal, turn left towards Mekhri circle, right towards IISC, Yeshwanthapur station and onward on NH 4 towards tumkur. The CNR Rao underpass at IISC junction is also ready so should be smooth and easy compared to the Railway junction near on the other route which is not worth it now.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:34   #5415
Distinguished - BHPian

The other option would be to continue from Hebbal towards BEL circle and then take left towards Mattikere. This road will take you straight to the signal near Yeswantpur police station. Turn right an take the flyover and continue towards Gurguntepalya. You should not face any issue with traffic except for bus stop near Yeswantpur railway station. Found this route to immensely help during peak hour traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks