Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 16:09   #5161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Has this stretch been relaid? The last time I did this route,the roads from Thirthahalli to Agumbe was in real bad condition. Post Agumbe,the roads till Haladi again were below average. Have you done this stretch recently?
I was on this stretch in December. I remember seeing work in progress on the Kundapur-Ampar section. I tried the Kundapur-Ampar-Vandse option to Kollur instead of going via Hemmadi. Turned out to be a much better option.
Old 10th May 2014, 16:46   #5162
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
The last time I did this route,the roads from Thirthahalli to Agumbe was in real bad condition. Post Agumbe,the roads till Haladi again were below average
Drove on this circuit in mid March 2014. The road condition still holds good ( as observed by friends and relatives who drove as recent as 10 days back )

Nagara to Chandikamba temple ( start of Hulikal ghat ) : Very bad

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1979978_602038366548521_1440776712_o.jpg

Hulikal Ghat

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-178.jpg

Hosangadi to Haladi

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-180.jpg

Haladi to Someshwara / Agumbe

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-190.jpg

Agumbe to Thirthahalli

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-147.jpg

Thirthahalli to Mastikatte via yadur also remains very bad - no road for 10 kms as one approaches Mastikatte.
roamingrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 21:15   #5163
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Udupi and Pajaka but would want to cover Kukke Subramanya as well. Can you please suggest the route to take for the trip: Bangalore-Kukke Subramanya-Udupi-Pajaka.
Old 10th May 2014, 21:17   #5164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenp View Post
I am planning a trip to Udupi and Pajaka but would want to cover Kukke Subramanya as well. Can you please suggest the route to take for the trip: Bangalore-Kukke Subramanya-Udupi-Pajaka.
Bangalore Hassan Sakleshpur Gundya Kukke. Amazing route all the way.

Kukke Udupi

Kukke Nelyadi Ujire Bajagoli Karkala Udupi

Last edited by ampere : 10th May 2014 at 21:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 21:35   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kukke Udupi

Kukke Nelyadi Ujire Bajagoli Karkala Udupi
Slight change in the plan. I may have to visit Kateel Durga Parameshwari temple as well before heading towards Udupi. Can you please advice me on the route?
Old 10th May 2014, 21:48   #5166
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Slight change in the plan. I may have to visit Kateel Durga Parameshwari temple as well before heading towards Udupi. Can you please advice me on the route?

Safest option would be to take subramanya -Uppinangady-Pumpwell - Bajpe road ( right from Karnataka Polytechnic (KPT)) - Kateel. The same road joins NH17 at Mulki.

You can also take the Kaikamba Road from BCRoad if you don't want to drive till Pumpwell. I haven't been on this road since ages , maybe someone can comment on the road condition.

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 07:11   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I may have to visit Kateel Durga Parameshwari temple as well

Bangalore - Gundya - Kukke Subramanya

Kukke - BC road - Padil / Pumpwell - Nantoor - Bajpe - Kateel

Kateel - Kinnigoli - NH17 - Katapadi - turn right - 6kms to Pajaka

OR

to avoid the highway : Kateel - Belman - Shirva - Edmer - Moodubelle - Pajaka. Recently relaid excellent interior roads.

Pajaka - Katapadi - Udupi
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 13:58   #5168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I need to travel to Udupi in May to attend a wedding and from Udupi I will be driving to Sirsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Would suggest Kundapura - Haladi - Agumbe - Thirthahalli option - excellent roads throughout.
I cannot understand why Santosh would need to drive from Udupi to Kundapur and then backtrack to Haladi - Agumbe.

Instead he can proceed directly from Udupi to Agumbe via Puttige - Shivapura - Hebri.

Unless there is a problem with the route I am suggesting (bad roads, etc).
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 05:54   #5169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I need to travel to Udupi in May to attend a wedding and from Udupi I will be driving to Sirsi. Need some opinions on the best route that I should take. I will be driving a Skoda Laura TSI MT.
Quote:
I have to attend a wedding at Udupi and push off to Sirsi. How feasible is it do it in one day. Lets say if I start early morning by 5 am from BLR. Can I hope to reach Udupi by 12:30, attend the wedding, finish lunch and leave by 2:30 pm and reach Sirsi by 7 pm. Looking at the route options I think it will be too taxing and feel it is better to break the Journey at Udupi.
Driving in a day would be quite tiring. A 3/4AM start from Bangalore should take you to Udupi 10/11. After finishing your work, you are driving again. That would be quite tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I cannot understand why Santosh would need to drive from Udupi to Kundapur and then backtrack to Haladi - Agumbe. Instead he can proceed directly from Udupi to Agumbe via Puttige - Shivapura - Hebri.
+1.

Udupi to Sirsi : I think the best option is :

Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Ripponpete-Anandapuram-Sagar-Talguppa-Sirsi.

@roamingrao,

Great to know that Ampar-Haladi-Someshwar is a good road now. They were repairing Ampar-Kundapur some time back (Dec). Not sure if they have finished. At least now the road till Kollur would be good.

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2014 at 05:57.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 10:22   #5170
BHPian

Is Shiradi still holding up ok? I plan to drive from Blore to Kundapur next week. The reason I ask is because that part of the world seem to have a bit of rain due to the recent cyclonic after effects at the Arabian sea. Anyone who has travelled in this stretch in the last few days?
Old 13th May 2014, 10:28   #5171
Team-BHP Support

Shiradi is fine, just did it on Saturday.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:15   #5172
BHPian

I just did Udupi - Bangalore last Sunday. I took the Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Ujire - Charmadi - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore route. I was pleasantly surprised with the road conditions, especially on Charmadi Ghat. I was so impressed that I will be doing a bike trip to Udupi later this month - just to enjoy the Charmadi scenic view and excellent roads - before rains play havoc.
Old 15th May 2014, 12:21   #5173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
I just did Udupi - Bangalore last Sunday. I took the Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Ujire - Charmadi - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore route. I was pleasantly surprised with the road conditions, especially on Charmadi Ghat. I was so impressed that I will be doing a bike trip to Udupi later this month - just to enjoy the Charmadi scenic view and excellent roads - before rains play havoc.
I remember potholes near Kottigehara towards Charmadi. Is it still the same? Have done anything to fix that portion?
Old 15th May 2014, 13:14   #5174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
How was the traffic on this route? How long did you take to complete the journey? The last time I did this route,there were patches at Belur which had pretty big craters. Have they been relaid?
Old 16th May 2014, 11:22   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I remember potholes near Kottigehara towards Charmadi. Is it still the same? Have done anything to fix that portion?
I did not come across a single pot hole or a bad patch on the entire ghat stretch. Good road throughout. Will be travelling that route again on 23rd May. Will update with pics
Prashant Shenoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed