Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 04:28   #4681
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Requesting road condition update along NH17 from Mangalore up until Kundapura. Is it horrible or bad? Is it doable on a hatch?

Also requesting suggestions for place of stay in Mangalore. Budget accommodation, three bachelors.
The four lane work is on between suratkal - kundapur. So watch out for diversions. You can do it in a hatch.

For budget accommodation, you can consider 'Ginger' at Kottara Junction. If you want it in the town, you can check out 'Ganesh Prasad' on KS Rao road or else 'Ayodhya' near PVS junction.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 08:00   #4682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I don't think so. The stretch has uneven surface, construction is not upto the mark, probably because most of road surface is built on elevated surface.
Some of the bridges entry, exit are very bouncy indeed and quite annoying to keep the same pace as we keep for other stretch of the road.
I'm a regular on this route, I always make sure to cut down the speed at this stretch coz of the above said reason.
It is barely noticeable while on Grand Vitara. Even I am a regular on this route, but when I drove the i10, I started noticing every blemish on the road. Therefore, I haven't taken the i10 on this road since 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Agree. There is this overbridge on a curve that has an uneven part and can unsettle anyone doing triple digits
It doesn't unsettle heavier vehicles with good suspension.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:27   #4683
BHPian

Traveled on this route last weekend:
Bangalore - Shimoga - Teerthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Kundapur

NH 206 is in good condition; except for a bad stretch near Tarikere, upper half of Agumbe ghats and Someshwara-Hebri strech. Not advisable to do Agumbe in evening/night, as visibility is almost zero due to mist. Expect heavy rains in Teerthahalli and beyond.

NH17 near Kundapura, Maravanthe is all messed up as usual.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:59   #4684
BHPian

How long did it take you on this route? Also any idea how Charmadi ghat is holding up?
Old 29th August 2013, 13:54   #4685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
How long did it take you on this route? Also any idea how Charmadi ghat is holding up?
It took me 9 hours; excluding lunch break at Shimoga. Not sure about Charmadi conditions, haven't been through it since an year
Old 29th August 2013, 14:01   #4686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
The last we took Charmadi was in July and it was holding up perfectly well. However, there has been incessant rains over the last few weeks that the condition may have deteriorated.

I personally would vote for Charmadi in case you want to drive towards Karkala, Udupi for the fact that this route doesn't expect much fleet traffic and is mostly free all the times barring a few Dharmasthala bound KSRTC/NWRTC buses.

So, even under the worst road conditions, you wont need to bite the dust thrown by that truck ahead of you like in case of Shiradi.
Old 29th August 2013, 16:51   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
Traveled on this route last weekend:
Bangalore - Shimoga - Teerthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Kundapur

NH 206 is in good condition; except for a bad stretch near Tarikere, upper half of Agumbe ghats and Someshwara-Hebri strech. Not advisable to do Agumbe in evening/night, as visibility is almost zero due to mist. Expect heavy rains in Teerthahalli and beyond.

NH17 near Kundapura, Maravanthe is all messed up as usual.
Did you take this route because of Shiradi ghat condition or this is your usual route ?

One my my relative is planning to drive down to Udupi on sunday and wanted to know the latest road conditions.

I have suggested Hasan-sakleshpur-Mangalore-udupi and informed that except Shiradi, rest of the road is good.

If i am not wrong, going via Shimoga is at least longer by 40-50kms, so checking if its worth taking this route or going via shiradi is still the better option ?
Old 29th August 2013, 20:01   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Did you take this route because of Shiradi ghat condition or this is your usual route ?

One my my relative is planning to drive down to Udupi on sunday and wanted to know the latest road conditions.

I have suggested Hasan-sakleshpur-Mangalore-udupi and informed that except Shiradi, rest of the road is good.

If i am not wrong, going via Shimoga is at least longer by 40-50kms, so checking if its worth taking this route or going via shiradi is still the better option ?
I usually take NH206 + NH13 (Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Agumbe-Hebri) to Udupi or Kundapur. I take NH48 only if we're going towards Mangalore.

Yes, Shimoga route is around 40 kms longer compared to NH48. But, truck traffic is less and I feel it's calmer to drive here. I usually split it like: 5 hrs for BLR-Shimoga and 3 hrs for Shimoga-Hebri. And, also dosa break at Preethi Canteen, Kadur or Meenakshi Bhavan, Shimoga
Old 1st September 2013, 20:45   #4689
BHPian

Did a B'lore-Dharmasthala-B'lore today. Took the Shiradi route while going and returned via Charmadi.

Excellent roads all the way to Sakleshpur and almost 4 lanes throughout till Hassan bypass. But the roads after Sakleshpur have deteriorated. As of now, just the top layer of asphalt has vanished from all curves. But pretty soon, if it starts to rain, these rubble/jelly stones will cave in causing those infamous *Shiradi* pot holes which swallow cars whole. But the roads after Subramanya cross is even worse with no visible signs of any black tar on road. Its just stone dust and pebbles all the way till the deviation for Dharmasthala. Total driving time was 6 hrs inclusive of a 30 min breakfast at Ossoor.

For the return journey, we took the Ujire-Charmadi-Belur route and this is route has been recently relaid which makes it an absolute delight to drive. Absolutely zilch potholes and very very minimal truck traffic as well. Since this route has a lot more curves compared to NH48, it was a more tiring ride for the passengers (but not for me ). The return journey also took approximately 6 hrs.

Hope this helps
rohittunga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 21:12   #4690
Team-BHP Support

I did Shiradi twice in my Jeep in the last two days, thanks to Mahindra Great Escape at Sakleshpur. I think we can officially call it destroyed, for this year. The roads are damaged even beyond Gundya, mainly at curves. It is bad between Manipal-Karkala, and even around aladangady. I guess no matter what party comes to power, there is no respite for western ghat roads.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 21:26   #4691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I guess no matter what party comes to power, there is no respite for western ghat roads.
+ 1

At least I hear some talks about a tunnel being built at Shiradi. So its safe to assume that by 2020 construction will start (hopefully).

Yes the ghat roads are officially destroyed. Yet I believe this (NH48) is still the best route for those travelling towards coastal cities. It is just Shiradi which is bad, the roads preceding it is amazing and most of the roads after it is still in relatively good condition. I'm amazed at the straightness of the roads at Sakleshpur which is in a hilly region. You can easily do speeds of 90~100 kmph without breaking a sweat. Compare this with NH234 (Charmadi route) where doing speeds of even 50 kmph is a task in itself without making your co passengers sick !
Old 1st September 2013, 22:07   #4692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
At least I hear some talks about a tunnel being built at Shiradi. So its safe to assume that by 2020 construction will start (hopefully).
Shiradi tunnel is estimated at Rs. 3800 crore as of now. Hope it will not be a mega loot project - land grab, forest destruction and looting whatever precious resources found in Western ghats (à la "Jugari Cross").
http://newindianexpress.com/states/k...cle1760807.ece

Last edited by 370Z : 1st September 2013 at 22:08.
Old 1st September 2013, 22:32   #4693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
land grab, forest destruction and looting whatever precious resources found in Western ghats (à la "Jugari Cross").
During this Great Escape event, the entire trail was inside Kadumane estate. Oh boy, never knew Sakleshpur hills are so beautiful. I'll put up photos/video in a while. What we see from Shiradi ghat is not even 10% of the beauty that is out there.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 22:50   #4694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What we see from Shiradi ghat is not even 10% of the beauty that is out there.
In a way, it is good for conservation that we have been kept out of 90% of the ghats. I hope it stays like that.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:41   #4695
BHPian

Did a Blore-Mlore trip over the weekend in my Ritz VDI. Had to literally crawl through the Shiradi in 1st and 2nd gears. Covered up for it in the remainder of stretches. It took me 6.5 hours to reach Nelamangala.

I have to make another trip to Mlore this weekend and planning to take the charmadi this time around.

Most Viewed