Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:02   #4291
Senior - BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I will be in Puttur during Navratri and want to travel to Madhur,Kerala(Sidhi vinayak temple) from here.

I have always gone via Mangalore and while searching google map it showed a direct route which is about 45kms between Puttur-Madhur(against 100 odd km if i do puttur-mangalore-madhur)

Via (Puttur-Bairadka-perla-Badiyadka-Madhur)

Directions - puttur, Karnataka to Madhur,kerala

Any local help who use these roads often is welcome.

I am travelling on a swift, so road condition really matters to me.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:20   #4292
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Did a Bangalore- Mangalore round trip in the last few days. Left Bangalore (Bannerghatta Road) @ 5.15 AM, reached Nelamangala turn off by 6.00AM (took the Nice Road from Gottigere). The road conditions from Nelamangla to Sakleshpura are excellent. Reached Sakleshpura by 8.30AM, had breakfast and left by 9.30AM. From then on the road until Gundya is deteriorated quite a bit with the taramc completely gone off in quite a few places. The roads are in bad shape especially at the entry and exit of the bridges in the ghat section. Took about an hour to reach Gundya.

The roads are again in excellent conditions starting from about 2-3 kms after Gundya. From then on it was a breeze until Mangalore. We reached by 11.45AM. Thankfully it wasnt raining except for a few places enroute to Nelamangala.

On the return journey we left at 2.15PM from Mangalore and stopped about 15 kms prior to Sakleshpura (place where the rain has created a mini waterfall). Time was about 4.45PM. It was raining quite heavily around Nelyadi. Negotiating the ghats was a little tricky as it becomes a litte difficult to judge the depth of the water filled pothholes. Also in some of the places there was a lot of loose gravel across the road due to the rain. But still it was manageable with a bit of patience.

Reached Kamat (Udaipura) @ 6.15 PM. Had some hot chilli bajjis,Sambar Wada and buns. Left @ 7.00PM and reached Nelamangla toll @ 8.40PM and Bannerghatta Road (via Nice Road) by 9.10PM.

It is a really nice drive from Bangalore to Mangalore in the early morning. To add to it the traffic is also relatively less and one can enjoy the scenic beauty on the way. So I would suggest most people to plan for an early morning drive.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:03   #4293
BANNED

did this temple trip over the long weekend; a brief report :

1. HSR-neelamangala-NH48-gundya-kukke

- since it was an early morning start, reached yeswantpur through inside the city & reached neelamangala (6am) -> excellent 4 lanes till bellur cross (36+36 tolls) , further single lanes are mostly the completed half of the double laning -> (7am) kamat after channarayapatna -> 7:30 am start- excellent single lane roads (3 digit speedable) sakleshpur - shiradi ghats (very bad now) - gundya - nice scenic roads with occasional potholes (there is even a bridge over a stream without any kind of side-barrier, not even pavement height concrete, the bridge is just a wide slab) - subrahmanya (10am)

2. kukke-gundya-NH48-dharmasthala

11:45 am -> nice roads -> dharmasthala turn -> moderately good + sudden bad stretches -> 1:15pm arrival + darshan + lunch

3. dharmasthala-ujire-guruvayenkere-bajegoli-karkala-udupi

we had to remain inside the dharmasthala temple premises due to heavy rains outside; started only @ 4:00pm -> good roads (narrow) till belthangady; the right turn off from guruvayenkere towards karkala is difficult to spot without any signboards, the T juntion (with all shops/buildings kissing the road) appears suddenly after a curve, easy to miss. From here on the roads are ok, there are occasional potholes but they can be spotted from afar. Got seriously slowed down over this stretch due to extremely heavy rains & also crazy schumachers from the world of goods carrier vehicles (auto, tata ace, mini lorries) -> bad roads in & around karkala -> udupi (6:15 pm)

4. udupi-NH-mangalore (outskirts)-NH48-neelamangala-HSR

10:15 am -> heavy traffic with crazy pvt buses, good stretches over completed half of 4 laning, with bad potholes around bridges -> mangalore outskirts (industrial area) 11:30 am -> heavy rains all the way till 1/2 hour before shiradi ghats. The rains had further worsened the roads in shiradi ghats w.r.t onward journey (just 48 hrs ago). I would say, the roads are getting worse by the hour, with each successive downpour. Also, it was sad to see the way heavy goods lorries (esp the longer ones) are harassed by KSRTC buses & taxi cab drivers (innova, tavera) over the pothole ridden climbing curves; the poor lorry drivers are made to brake while climbing and their path is cut off by some crazy overtaking manouvers (yes , on these stretches) - to add insult to injury, most of these lorries dont have power steering. -> reached sakleshpur @ 2pm (lunch) -> 2:30 pm resume -> neelmangala (5pm) -> HSR (6:30pm)

Overall, I would say, 85% good & 15% bad surfaces (timewise, not km wise) for the entire journey

Last edited by venkyhere : 3rd October 2012 at 14:10.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 12:03   #4294

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I will be in Puttur during Navratri and want to travel to Madhur,Kerala(Sidhi vinayak temple) from here.

Any local help who use these roads often is welcome.

I am travelling on a swift, so road condition really matters to me.
Rajshenoy: The road conditions from Puttur to Perla (Kerala border) are average. Once you enter Kerala, things improve and you will experience very good roads. Keep in mind that these are winding and not-so-wide roads. So you will not able to maintain great speeds like the alternate route i.e. NH 48 - NH 17 route via Mangalore - Kasaragod.

I have never done the Badiadka - Madhur route; no comments on that section.

Tonight I will be taking the Puttur - Badiadka road while heading home. If there are further updates I will post them here.

Enjoy your trip !
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 13:45   #4295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Rajshenoy: The road conditions from Puttur to Perla (Kerala border) are average. Once you enter Kerala, things improve and you will experience very good roads. Keep in mind that these are winding and not-so-wide roads. So you will not able to maintain great speeds like the alternate route i.e. NH 48 - NH 17 route via Mangalore - Kasaragod.

Enjoy your trip !
Thanks a Ton. Yeah i am used to Narrow winding roads(infact i love to drive) if the roads are pothole free and low traffic. Do update once you take badiadka road.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:54   #4296
BHPian

Re: Cool Drives within 150km from Bangalore

from E-City NICE road, what is the best way to go to Hassan? Through Neelamangala or through Magadi ?
Old 14th October 2012, 16:53   #4297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
from E-City NICE road, what is the best way to go to Hassan? Through Neelamangala or through Magadi ?
If you are an early starter magadi is the way. As day progress it is difficult to keep average speeds through those undevided roads, village traffic through 2 or 3 small towns. Otherwise take nelamangala route any time of the day.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 17:18   #4298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
If you are an early starter magadi is the way. As day progress it is difficult to keep average speeds through those undevided roads, village traffic through 2 or 3 small towns. Otherwise take nelamangala route any time of the day.
The best is to go all the way via Nelamangala and take the 4-lane.
If you want to enjoy the twisties of Magadi road, then its a different proposition altogether !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 17:26   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are in very good condition and have almost same distance. You can take either route without any problems.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 10:43   #4300
BHPian

For going to Belur, is there a route to bypass Hassan town? Hows the condition of the road?
Old 16th October 2012, 12:02   #4301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For going to Belur, is there a route to bypass Hassan town? Hows the condition of the road?
This is what I usually take. The 500m stretch around the railway line is pretty bad but worth it, given that you almost completely avoid Hassan town.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:44   #4302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is what I usually take. The 500m stretch around the railway line is pretty bad but worth it, given that you almost completely avoid Hassan town.
Addy and Parag mentioned the other day, that this section has become really bad. Its better to take the Gorur road

Since I have NOT recently done these stretches, I cant comment for myself, but only from what I read (This was I think a month or to ago).

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2012 at 13:48.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:03   #4303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Addy and Parag mentioned the other day, that this section has become really bad. Its better to take the Gorur road

Since I have NOT recently done these stretches, I cant comment for myself, but only from what I read (This was I think a month or to ago).
I found one route in google maps which bypasses the town & the bad stretch near railway lines

Any idea about this route :
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hassan-bypass1.jpg  

Old 16th October 2012, 14:22   #4304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Last I did this was 2 months back and it was quite manageable (in my Safari). I agree that it might be an issue for a low GC car - should be okay if negotiated carefully though. It is hardly 500-600m so should be okay.

Quote:
I found one route in google maps which bypasses the town & the bad stretch near railway lines. Any idea about this route :
This is perfectly fine, only drawback being that you will have to negotiate the crater like potholes of Hassan town. I am not sure of the alternative provided by Ampere - never done that one.

Last edited by cool_dube : 16th October 2012 at 14:48.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:34   #4305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found one route in google maps which bypasses the town & the bad stretch near railway lines

Any idea about this route :
Not worth it at all. Just take the road between points B and D. It is just a half a km stretch and if you take it slow, any car can manage it.

@ ampere, Gorur road too is not worth it. The stretch from Santhepet circle to Tanneeru Halla (where Belur road joins) is pothole ridden (about 1.5 kms), which basically means you don't avoid any bad road.

The total bad stretch on BM road in Hassan is about 2.5 kms, so even if you go through town, you can manage. But traffic is a pain.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hassan-bypass.jpg

The road between point A and B is Gorur Road and it is good. (approx 1 km)

Points A, D and E are on the bypass and that is good.

Road between Points B (Santhepet circle) and C (Thanneeru Halla) is bad (1.5 kms)

Road between Points D and C is bad (0.5 kms).

Road between E and C is decent to bad

My suggestion: Take the road between D and C

Last edited by addyhemmige : 16th October 2012 at 14:44. Reason: Added map
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks