Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:06   #4141
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Can anyone of the frequent travelers update the conditions of shiradi ghat? Its been almost a month since the last update on the conditions. I know there have been some rains and am hoping the roads are still allright. I have a trip coming up next week and worried about the condition.
I last drove on the 23rd from Udupi to Bangalore ( via Shiradi ) and the Shiradi section was still excellent with minor wear and tears. I think it rained pretty heavily for a couple of days after that but I wouldnt think it would have detoriated the roads too much. I dont think you need to be too worried if you are driving down next week. Actually I would be driving on the same roads as well ( on 11th ) and I am looking forward to it
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:49   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone of the frequent travelers update the conditions of shiradi ghat? Its been almost a month since the last update on the conditions. I know there have been some rains and am hoping the roads are still allright. I have a trip coming up next week and worried about the condition.
I drove from Udupi to Bangalore last week and the road condition at Shiradi is OK. It was drivable though there were lots of landslides due to heavy rain. But, the roads were fast breaking and creating craters... Roads are excellent once you cross shiradi.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:08   #4143
BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Kundapur last Monday(July 30th) and the roads were pretty good.Shiradi ghats have held up well apart from a couple of rough patches.I could cover Kamat Upachar(Channarayapatna) to Mangalore in 2 hours 30 mins(Via the Shiradi Ghats)
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:23   #4144
Senior - BHPian

I will defer to samurai since he drives up and down with a fortnight between the up and down journeys.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:20   #4145
BHPian

Thanks for the info guys.

The reason I ask is that I am driving the civic and worried about craters with the low gc. Based on the feedback I think it sounds all right as of now.

Samurai, the stage is yours.
Old 4th August 2012, 17:28   #4146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Kundapur last Monday...

...I could cover Kamat Upachar(Channarayapatna) to Mangalore in 2 hours 30 mins(Via the Shiradi Ghats)
Given the above, I presume you did Bangalore - Kundapura via Mangalore. How is the Mangalore-Kundapura stretch in terms of 4-lane work? How much time did you take for this stretch?

Thanks in advance...
Old 4th August 2012, 17:51   #4147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will defer to samurai since he drives up and down with a fortnight between the up and down journeys.
Quote:
Samurai, the stage is yours.
I saw these messages yesterday. But decided to wait so that I can provide very fresh info.

I just drove back to Bangalore, so I passed by Shiradi today around 11AM. The road is slowly turning into gravel. Need to drive slow or else one can drift in the corners. No serious potholes so far. So GC shouldn't be an issue. Again, it rained most of the time in the ghats. I saw marks of freshly cleared tree-fall. So it should be an easy drive still, unless you get blocked by a fallen tree or landslide. But it is quite rare, so don't worry too much about that possibility.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 08:13   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The road is slowly turning into gravel. Need to drive slow or else one can drift in the corners. No serious potholes so far.
Samurai, a general question. Since the ban on mining in Bellary last year, can you notice a difference in terms of ore-carrying HMV traffic and in the way Shiradi ghat roads are holding up (assuming there is indeed a fall in HMV traffic, that is)?
Old 5th August 2012, 08:44   #4149
BHPian

4th August 2012. Mangalore - Kukke Subramanya - Bangalore

The once bad Uppinangadi - Kadaba - Kukke stretch ( 52 kms ) is very good now. No potholes.

Kukke - Gundya has started breaking up. Approach to bridges and some sharp turns has gravel now - soon to be converted to craters !

With rains like this ( last two days ) Shiradi too would be converted to a rough drive.

Last edited by roamingrao : 5th August 2012 at 08:45.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:30   #4150
BHPian

Friends, one of my friend wants to travel through charmadi to dharmasthala, tomorrow. Last weekend ghat was closed due to land slides. Is it open now ? Any info on the road condition ?
Old 6th August 2012, 11:01   #4151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Samurai, a general question. Since the ban on mining in Bellary last year, can you notice a difference in terms of ore-carrying HMV traffic and in the way Shiradi ghat roads are holding up (assuming there is indeed a fall in HMV traffic, that is)?
With mining trucks, the roads used to breakdown lot faster, say by June end. Now it takes longer, even in August we have acceptable roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Friends, one of my friend wants to travel through charmadi to dharmasthala, tomorrow. Last weekend ghat was closed due to land slides. Is it open now ? Any info on the road condition ?
Any reason to pick Charmadi? Since Charmadi is narrower and longer, the tree falls and landslides cause lot more holdups than Shiradi. Also, lot harder to get info unless you call residents of Ujire.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:42   #4152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Today's TOI has carried the news of landslides in charmadi ghat and the traffic being diverted to shiradi ghat. They say the the road may be cleared for the traffic by today evening. So, the best option would be shiradi.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:54   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

Any reason to pick Charmadi? Since Charmadi is narrower and longer, the tree falls and landslides cause lot more holdups than Shiradi.
Only reason is they want yo experience fog/mist and rain. They just don't listen, what else can I say.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:01   #4154
BHPian

Just returned from Udupi via Shiradi ghat section yesterday and the sad news is that the road has started deteriorating quickly. The rains seemed to be catching up and was raining all through till Hassan!

There are a few bad stretches in the ghat section and people who drive in the night have to be cautious!
Old 6th August 2012, 14:26   #4155
Senior - BHPian

Update on Mangalore to Kundapura 4lane...

The work is slow as a snail, lots of unfinished steches and deviations...this means frustrating during heavy traffic. avoid driving during the night, can be really dangerous if its raining...
lohithrao is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks