Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 00:24   #4111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I'm off to Surathkal next week. I stay in Nagarbavi, by the way. Since it is close to Magadi Road, I take the Sunkadakatte - Magadi Town - Kunigal - Mangalore route.

For me, does it make sense to continue taking the above route OR should I try the Nagarbavi - Tumkur Road - Elevated Flyover - Nelamangala - Kunigal route?

Which route will be faster, on a Saturday, at around 10:00 AM?
It does take time to even reach the end of Magadi road (NICE Intersection) at that time of the day.
Taking the Nelemangala Elevated highway and the 'now usual' NH48 via Kunigal makes sense.
However, as I have experienced, the toll booth for Nelemangala Eway (main or those additional ones near NICE) do consume good minutes specially at that time on a weekend. Traffic from here is not just Mangalore bound but also heading upnorth too.
Apart from this, what we last heard here is the complete asphalting inside Magadi town which should help gain pace.
You would also not be waiting (and paying) at the very first booth after Nelamangala if you opt for Magadi route.
It usually takes not more than an hour Max to reach Kunigal bypass by the regular road from Nelamangala expressway toll.
Despite of all this, somehow I would still suggest the Nelamangala-Kunigal route for an almost cruise like drive it offers for the first 100kms from the city since the rest of the road all the way till Surathkal will offer you every other thrill anyways.
Your body will take less stress too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 10:27   #4112
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They weren't collecting yesterday.

Lots of rain here. Manipal feels like a hill station. Didn't need the AC and it was down right chilly at night.

Shiradi is still good, good enough for another month I think.
Thanks. How far is the four lane work completed from Bangalore? Last time when I drove, it was done till Nagamangala. Just curious to know whether it is complete till Haasan as promised by NHAI.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:41   #4113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Thanks. How far is the four lane work completed from Bangalore? Last time when I drove, it was done till Nagamangala. Just curious to know whether it is complete till Haasan as promised by NHAI.
Fully completed between Nelemangala till Bellur cross. Work in progress after Bellur cross till Hassan.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:14   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm off to Surathkal next week. I stay in Nagarbavi, by the way. Since it is close to Magadi Road, I take the Sunkadakatte - Magadi Town - Kunigal - Mangalore route.

For me, does it make sense to continue taking the above route OR should I try the Nagarbavi - Tumkur Road - Elevated Flyover - Nelamangala - Kunigal route?

Which route will be faster, on a Saturday, at around 10:00 AM?
I stay in Rajarajeshwarinagar and usually take the new Ring Road (which passes through Nagarbavi) to reach Tumkur Road - Goraguntepalya Junction when I travel to Hassan. But once in a while I try to take a different route. A couple of months back, I took Magadi road while coming back from Hassan on a sunday evening. It was more or less very good (just a small stretch outside Magadi was not yet complete). And I'm sure it was not at all slower than the NH 48, given the traffic on a sunday evening. Magadi road was practically empty till I reached Gollarahatti (NICE road junction). From thereon traffic was quite heavy till the ring road.

My suggestion to you is to take the NH 48 during non-peak hours and take the Magadi road if you think traffic on NH 48 is too heavy. You will not lose much time at all.

At 10 am on a saturday, you can take the Tumkur road-NH 48 route
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 13:47   #4115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Thats what the toll booth collector said to me, the Toll fees collection started since yesterday.
I went to Mudigere on 23rd in an alto and returned back on 24th in a Volvo.
At the toll gate on 23rd, they were stopping every vehicle, asking if they need one-way or 2-way ticket and opening the gate and letting us go.
They were collecting data for software testing and not money.
This is usually the last step before the collection starts.
On 24th they were not stopping any vehicle when I came back.

The free ride on "the best ever NH48 till date" is coming to an end pretty soon.

BTW, the toll fees is Rs33/- for one-way
Old 30th June 2012, 19:42   #4116
BHPian

Ladies & Gentlemen, the free ride is over. Paid a toll of Rs.33/- today at the toll booth near Bellur cross.
chandan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:20   #4117
BHPian

Just completed back and forth journey from Bangalore to Udupi. Toll booths are started collecting (Rs33/- for one way) and four lane work is on snails' pace after Bellur cross. Shiradi ghat is still in good condition, but breaking up fast! Return journey to Bangalore was completely wet due to inclement weather.

Excellent roads to drive

1) Nelamangala to Bellur cross (Toll)
2) Mangalore to Nelyadi

Most Scenic roads

1) Shiradi ghat road
2) Sakleshpur to Haasan

Dangerous (IMO)

Mangalore to Udupi due to on going four lane work and private buses plying mindlessly.
funda2max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 11:50   #4118
BHPian

Have to drive down to a place near Hebri, was wondering what would be the best route to take. I was thinking about Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Hebri ( am assuming that Shiradi is still in a decent state ). Any other route that would be better than this?
Old 6th July 2012, 12:03   #4119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Have to drive down to a place near Hebri, was wondering what would be the best route to take. I was thinking about Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Hebri ( am assuming that Shiradi is still in a decent state ). Any other route that would be better than this?
Shiradi is holding up as of now. I had been on it last week. The routing you have is the better among all.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 14:52   #4120
BHPian

Hello folks,

How is the road condition between chikmagalur-Mudigere-Charmadi-ghat-Mangaluru?

We are planning to go tomorrow..

Regards,
Mahadev
Old 9th July 2012, 20:10   #4121
BHPian

Did a Manipal-Mangalore-Bangalore drive yesterday!!

Shiradi ghat section is still in good condition though at several stretches signs of deterioration are showing up!!i do not know how these sections will be one month down the line!

It is sad to see the 4-laning work near Hassan has not yet been completed!! Once after Belur cross the road is superb till Bangalore!!

As many have mentioned the toll collection has started-Rs.33/- for one way!!
Old 9th July 2012, 20:29   #4122
Team-BHP Support

Mangalore people: Is it just me or has anybody else noticed an unusually high number of Maruti Ritz on the Mangalore-Udupi road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Taking the Nelemangala Elevated highway and the 'now usual' NH48 via Kunigal makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

At 10 am on a saturday, you can take the Tumkur road-NH 48 route
I took the elevated highway. Although I had to wait for approximately 5 mins at the toll booth, I reached Kunigal about 15 mins earlier than what I usually take to reach that town via Magadi.

Small toll booth tip for everybody: There are 4 or 5 toll booths with long queues at all them, although some queues are longer than the rest. Logically, one would go for the shortest queue.

Instead, take the queue that has couple of buses/XL sized trucks in them. Although, that particular queue is longer than the rest, you will get past the toll booth quickly - because there will be only 4 or 5 vehicles in this particular queue.
Old 9th July 2012, 20:50   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Mangalore people: Is it just me or has anybody else noticed an unusually high number of Maruti Ritz on the Mangalore-Udupi road?
This is true. I recently got one myself. Ritz VDI

Did the Bangalore - Mangalore route on saturday. There are a few surprise pot holes in the Shiradi ghat section already. Started at about 1:30 AM and touched Mangalore at 7:30 AM.

Warning: Do not follow the KSRTC buses in the Bellur cross - Hassan stretch where the 4 lane work is still in progress. I followed one and got caught in no man's land. He took a diversion that was yet to be opened for traffic and the tar was freshly laid out. Had to stop after going about 50 metres and return.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:40   #4124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Ladies & Gentlemen, the free ride is over. Paid a toll of Rs.33/- today at the toll booth near Bellur cross.
Hmm, just 33? What about the next toll booth? I paid 33/- at both toll booths, did I make a mistake? Also the peenya flyover toll has jumped to 20 bucks. Last time I paid just 15 bucks toll for the whole trip, this time 86 bucks. (33+33+20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
I was thinking about Hassan-Shiradi-Dharmasthala-Karkala-Hebri ( am assuming that Shiradi is still in a decent state ). Any other route that would be better than this?
I drove in this route this Saturday. The Shirady has started breaking up, expect some potholes here and there. Otherwise the route is mostly fine.
Old 10th July 2012, 11:44   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, just 33? What about the next toll booth? I paid 33/- at both toll booths, did I make a mistake? Also the peenya flyover toll has jumped to 20 bucks. Last time I paid just 15 bucks toll for the whole trip, this time 86 bucks. (33+33+20)
Wait till the Bellur Cross-Hassan stretch is ready, you will find 2 more toll booths ready for collection . Taking the car on this road is getting more expensive by the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks