Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 11:13   #3481
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I've been doing Mangalore - Manipal everyday since the past 4 days, and the sky and earth have indeed become one. Near Pangal bridge the fields on either side cannot be differentiated from the rivulet, that small rivulet has become a gushing river.

Below is a picture of the heavy rain drenched windscreen as soon as the wiper finished one cycle, and before it rose up again (at the fastest setting) and the car at 40 Kmph
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img2011071500504.jpg  

Old 19th July 2011, 11:24   #3482
BHPian

Yes with Samurai... Its raining heavily in Mangalore-Manipal area. I Also heared that the highway at BC road was hit due to heavy rains and had slow moving traffic for hours.
Here are some pics of water clogged areas in mangalore after heavy rains over the weekend. (reference: mangaloretoday.com)

Name:  tm.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  59.3 KB

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm8.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm7.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm6.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm5.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm4.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm3.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tm2.jpg

-UB
Old 19th July 2011, 12:00   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Folks, I am traveling with the following itinerary. Need route info and road conditions.

Traveling Dates : 24-28 July

Planned itinerary:

D1 (24th July)- Bangalore-Hornadu-Sringeri (halt)

D2 (25th July)- Sringeri-Murudeshwar (halt)

D3 (26th July)- Murudeshwar-Gokarna (halt)

D4 (27th July)- Suggestion needed.

D5 (28th July)- Suggestion needed. (Return to Bangy by evening at all cost)

The plan is not freezed and it can be changed. Only criteria being Murudeshwar and Gokarna is a must.

Detailed planning can be found on page two of :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...a-route-2.html
Sachin,

After Gokarna, you can drive down to Jog falls via Honnavar. It is a beautiful drive with amazing view of Sharavathi river. After seeing Jog falls which should be good as it is raining, you can cross over to Sigandur via launch at Sagar and stay put at Tirthahalli. You can enjoy the back waters of Linganamakki dam as well. You need to check the availibility of launch. Alternately, drive down to Tirthahalli and stay put there for the night. If you dont want to drive to Tirthahalli then stay put at Muthuga home stay near Jog. Google for details.

If staying in Tirthahalli, visit Kundadri or trek to Kavale durga - both are closeby before breakfast and leave Tirthahalli after late breakfast or early lunch. On the way, visit Bhadra Dam near Tarikere.

If staying in Muthuga, get up leisurely and drive back to bangalore. On the way, visit Bhadra Dam near Tarikere.

A word of caution - Sea will be rough and under sea sand pattern will be uneven. It is very dangerous to get deep into the sea. Swimming is NO-NO.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:41   #3484
Senior - BHPian

Re: Guidance needed - Trip to Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Some mandatory visits are as below :
1. Kukke Subrahmanya temple
2. Kollur Moogambikai temple
3. Sringeri

Ofcourse, time permitting, we also plan to go to Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple and to Dharmasthala.
All the places have good temple accommodation & temple food (approx lunch time is 11-2 & dinner, 7-9PM). Rooms are given on first-come first serve basis. But you can call up temple office & enquire for reservation.

Since your parents are arriving & departing from Mangalore, a circular route would be,
Mangalore -> Kukke -> Dharmastala -> Horanadu -> Sringeri -> Kollur -> Mangalore -> Bangalore.
You can also add Kalasa, which is near Horanadu.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 15:19   #3485
BHPian

Re: Guidance needed - Trip to Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends,

Some mandatory visits are as below :
1. Kukke Subrahmanya temple
2. Kollur Moogambikai temple
3. Sringeri

Ofcourse, time permitting, we also plan to go to Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple and to Dharmasthala.

Krishna.
Kalasa is a major junction and for sure you would have to pass through kalasa to reach Hornadu. On the way back from Hornadu you can either take a short cut or come through Kalasa to go to Sringeri. The shortcut would save you around 7 kms but I would suggest you go through kalasa as heavy rains would have washed away the roads.

You can also visit the kalaseshwar temple in kalasa. Nice old temple. You can enjoy the view of kalasa city from here.Don’t forget to grab garden fresh tea powder, pure honey from kalasa.

At Basarikatte you have to take diversion for Sringeri. It’s a small town where you can find pure coffee powder and coffee beans.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 15:48   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Everyday i wake up in bangalore seeing overcast skies thinking about the heavy downpour in coastal districts.

But then this is how it has been every year isnt it

I had not driven to udupi since last october..so before the shiradi ghat gets ruined i am planning to drive down in couple of weeks

So the question is , how is the road condition via ujire-belthangadi-karkala-udupi from shiradi ? if its decent enough i want to save some time and energy avoiding uppinangadi-bcroad-mangalore-mulki stretch
Old 19th July 2011, 16:02   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So the question is , how is the road condition via ujire-belthangadi-karkala-udupi from shiradi ?
This route was very good when I traveled a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2415607

But knowing shiradi, its better to check with someone who has traveled there more recently!
Be cautious of the heavy downpour too, I heard some roads were blocked.
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 16:22   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the updates. i cant plan for rains, but if anything else goes wrong, i need to blame myself

I am driving after 2-3 weeks, so hoping that the rain gods would take a short break by then
Old 19th July 2011, 18:28   #3489
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Need your help in planning a trip during Aug 12-15. Constraint is that I have already made a booking at a hotel in Mangalore so need your suggestions on which places to cover with stay fixed at Mangalore.
We are 3 people traveling by car - myself, wife and 7 yr old daughter.

Day 1 (Aug 12) -> Bangalore-Mangalore drive, reach by lunch time. Evening plan to visit beaches nearby ? Which ones ?

Day 2 (Aug 13) -> Places to visit ?

Day 3 (Aug 14) -> Places to visit ?

Day 4 (Aug 15) -> Mangalore-Bangalore, reach by late afternoon/evening.

Some places to visit that I had in mind are Yana (if road is good), Gokarna, Om Beach, but don't know distances from Mangalore.

Also need help with the route, will definitely prefer good roads wherever possible.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:07   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks,
Need your help in planning a trip during Aug 12-15. Constraint is that I have already made a booking at a hotel in Mangalore so need your suggestions on which places to cover with stay fixed at Mangalore.
We are 3 people traveling by car - myself, wife and 7 yr old daughter.

Day 1 (Aug 12) -> Bangalore-Mangalore drive, reach by lunch time. Evening plan to visit beaches nearby ? Which ones ?

Day 4 (Aug 15) -> Mangalore-Bangalore, reach by late afternoon/evening.

Some places to visit that I had in mind are Yana (if road is good), Gokarna, Om Beach, but don't know distances from Mangalore.

Also need help with the route, will definitely prefer good roads wherever possible.
Beaches would be pretty rough now because its peak monsoon time. but you can surely visit and enjoy them without trying to get into water.

1. Bekal fort near kasargod, Kerala(about an hours drive from mangalore) should be very scenic now.

2. Are you a religious person? there are alot of temples in and around Mangalore.

3. Have some ice cream at the pabba's or ideal

4. There are beaches along the Mangalore-udupi stretch which you can cover too

5. Gokarna, Yana etc will be pretty far from Mangalore(may be if you shift your stay further north such as udupi you can save 1-1.5 hr) but if you can make it you can even cover murudeswar which has a great shiva temple

Last edited by rajshenoy : 19th July 2011 at 19:10.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 19:15   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nearest would be Someshwar Beach near Ullal. But this very steep, rocky & dangerous for swimming. For getting into water, Tannirbhavi Beach near Panambur is better.
Quote:
There are few temples in M'lore and it hardly takes half a day to cover them. For rest of the time, I suggest Udupi, Malpe beach & Murudeshwar. I guess St Mary's island would be closed at this time. Probably you would halt 2nd day near Udupi.
Quote:
You can cover Gokarna, but that would stretching on 3rd day. For Yana, I would suggest halting at Sirsi. There are plenty of places around Sirsi and that needs a separate leg.

Note: Be wary of rashly driven vehicles on between M'lore Udupi NH.

Last edited by msdivy : 19th July 2011 at 19:20.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 19:37   #3492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I agree with rajshenoy here. Mangalore is the southern most tip, you should have picked a more central town like Udupi as base, which would have been cheaper too.

And beach... oh boy! You know how beaches look in the peak monsoon? Down right scary. It will be howling like an army of wolves on a fullmoon night. Wind is enough to throw you off the ground. Until August 15th, even fishermen are not allowed to venture into the sea, let alone tourists.

And the sand area of the beach will be mostly under wild water.

Consider this same beach in October and in July.

October

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pa191951.jpg

July

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-_7163429.jpg
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 20:16   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Wow those pictures says it all... But It is an experience for sure to see rough see.. from a distance
Old 19th July 2011, 20:28   #3494
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajshenoy, @Samurai, @msdivy - Thanks for the valuable information !
I did not want to make it a trip for temple visits alone so Bekal fort seems like a good option. Any other places ?

And which is the route you suggest - Via Shiradi ?

I know Mangalore is not the right place to stay if I want to visit lot of places but had to take the 3 day stay at the hotel in Mangalore to avail of some coupons/offer that I got conned into buying a while ago

This will be my first drive to Mangalore. I hope this will serve as a pilot trip so I can plan better on my next one.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:19   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And which is the route you suggest - Via Shiradi ?
Yes Shiradi is the shortest and fastest(so far..)
You got yourself very limited options because of the rains, so you can go to beaches but as Samurai showed, you may not be able to spend much time. Also in coastal districts if it rains, it rains all day long.

I dont know the process to get inside the Port, but if you can manage, it might be an experience watching ships from close distance.

Murudeshwar, Gokarna, Maravante beach(one side of the road you see river and other side is sea) all fall in same direction. so you can travel one day towards udupi and further north to cover all these in single day.

There is one more Seetha nadi(run by jungle lodges) which is about one hour drive from udupi towards agumbe. if i am not wrong, in this season they will have river rafting thanks to river in full flow.

Besides all that, Mangalore is famous for the coastal cuisine and if you are a foodie.. you can spend most of the time eating

There are some threads dedicated to famous eat outs in that part. so you can explore
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks